WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
wannabelawstudent

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby wannabelawstudent » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:58 pm

Last edited by wannabelawstudent on Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scretcher

Postby scretcher » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:16 pm

Presidentjlh wrote:
scretcher wrote:
harveyfan wrote:+1

About to call - so I'll fill you all in!

UPDATE: Just called and the woman I spoke to said that I did not receive the email in error and that our acceptance letters are in the mail!

Woohoo! Also, Suits is awesome lol

Nice, I got that e-mail too. Partially surprised by this, thought I was a probable waitlist.

Have faith, number twin.

ClayPigeons

Postby ClayPigeons » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:44 pm

Accepted during interview last week. Mentioned I was surprised I was being admitted, based on my numbers. Ms. Clifford laughed, "so am I."

She explained my letters of recc. and PS outweighed my underwhelming numbers. I'm happy to hear it -- thrilled to be admitted.

165/3.2x, by the way.

Good luck, all.

Unoriginalist

Postby Unoriginalist » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:21 pm

Congratulations on all the admittances, everyone! It does seem like an odd cycle this year - I wasn't even really expecting anything considering last year's strong 168+ wall. Do you think they're struggling to keep medians this year?

On that note, anyone know if they have sent any WLs or dings yet?

andy261

Postby andy261 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:28 pm

Unoriginalist wrote:Congratulations on all the admittances, everyone! It does seem like an odd cycle this year - I wasn't even really expecting anything considering last year's strong 168+ wall. Do you think they're struggling to keep medians this year?

I vaguely remember someone in this thread talking about how WUSTL was a little over aggressive with their LSAT floor last year, which contributed to their incoming class median dropping from 168 to 166. Looks like they are determined not to make that same mistake this year.

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:36 pm

Unoriginalist wrote:Congratulations on all the admittances, everyone! It does seem like an odd cycle this year - I wasn't even really expecting anything considering last year's strong 168+ wall. Do you think they're struggling to keep medians this year?

They struggled to keep medians last year. As sad as it is, their median drop for C/O 2015 mirrored the ranking drop from 18 to 23..I'm not sure if the ranking drop actually played a significant role in their median drop or not. But compared to its peers it does seem like WUSTL has a yield problem, which is basically a result of their market problem. Their biggest market (theoretically Chicago) is struggling and their home market is virtually non-existent as far as most of their class is concerned. This hurts their placement, which scares off 0L's...especially ones without ties to the midwest. Whatever the reason, it definitely looks like WUSTL has eased up on the 168+ wall.

Unoriginalist

Postby Unoriginalist » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:41 pm

cusenation wrote:

They struggled to keep medians last year. As sad as it is, their median drop for C/O 2015 mirrored the ranking drop from 18 to 23..I'm not sure if the ranking drop actually played a significant role in their median drop or not. But compared to its peers it does seem like WUSTL has a yield problem, which is basically a result of their market problem. Their biggest market Chicago is struggling and their home market is virtually non-existent as far as most of their class is concerned. This hurts their placement, which scares off 0L's...especially ones without ties to the midwest. Whatever the reason, it definitely looks like WUSTL has eased up on the 168+ wall.

Interesting! Makes sense, though. Not that it particularly matters, but it almost makes me wonder if WUSTL is going to be able to/try to climb back up into T20 range, or if it's found its niche in the T25. I did see on LSN they were throwing some pretty big bucks late in the cycle to 166ish applicants! It'll be interesting to see how scholarships play out this year, as well.

Thanks for the insight, you two!

andy261

Postby andy261 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:46 pm

Unoriginalist wrote:Interesting! Makes sense, though. Not that it particularly matters, but it almost makes me wonder if WUSTL is going to be able to/try to climb back up into T20 range, or if it's found its niche in the T25. I did see on LSN they were throwing some pretty big bucks late in the cycle to 166ish applicants! It'll be interesting to see how scholarships play out this year, as well.

+1

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:49 pm

Unoriginalist wrote:
cusenation wrote:

They struggled to keep medians last year. As sad as it is, their median drop for C/O 2015 mirrored the ranking drop from 18 to 23..I'm not sure if the ranking drop actually played a significant role in their median drop or not. But compared to its peers it does seem like WUSTL has a yield problem, which is basically a result of their market problem. Their biggest market Chicago is struggling and their home market is virtually non-existent as far as most of their class is concerned. This hurts their placement, which scares off 0L's...especially ones without ties to the midwest. Whatever the reason, it definitely looks like WUSTL has eased up on the 168+ wall.

Interesting! Makes sense, though. Not that it particularly matters, but it almost makes me wonder if WUSTL is going to be able to/try to climb back up into T20 range, or if it's found its niche in the T25. I did see on LSN they were throwing some pretty big bucks late in the cycle to 166ish applicants! It'll be interesting to see how scholarships play out this year, as well.

Well last year the Dean explained that their ranking drop was due to the fact that the school implemented new ABA-reporting standards for reporting job placement to the U.S News a year earlier than other schools, and that next year (this year) their ranking should go back up once everyone else adheres to the same standards. But of course that depended on them maintaining the same LSAT medians, which they didn't. But I'd be surprised if WUSTL didn't move up slightly in the rankings just based on everyone else adopting the new reporting standards.

Re: 166-ish applicants, I definitely think that 166-167 is the new 168-169 as far as WUSTL scholly. Applications are down, especially for 165+ applicants. It's likely that the 168+ admits are gonna have "better" options, which will reduce the number of 168+ admits that the school can reliably count on to enroll. The 167-169 median that WUSTL previously had when it was #18 was achieved during the 2010-2011 cycle..which was apparently saw a huge spike in applications. I'm guessing the 10-11 cycle inflated medians for a lot of schools.

Anyway, I could be completely wrong about the macro-factors. But I do think you can count on a nice scholly package :D

Unoriginalist

Postby Unoriginalist » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:59 pm

cusenation wrote:Well last year the Dean explained that their ranking drop was due to the fact that the school implemented new ABA-reporting standards for reporting job placement to the U.S News a year earlier than other schools, and that next year (this year) their ranking should go back up once everyone else adheres to the same standards. But of course that depended on them maintaining the same LSAT medians, which they didn't. But I'd be surprised if WUSTL didn't move up slightly in the rankings just based on everyone else adopting the new reporting standards.

Re: 166-ish applicants, I definitely think that 166-167 is the new 168-169 as far as WUSTL scholly. Applications are down, especially for 165+ applicants. It's likely that the 168+ admits are gonna have "better" options, which will reduce the number of 168+ admits that the school can reliably count on to enroll. The 167-169 median that WUSTL previously had when it was #18 was achieved during the 2010-2011 cycle..which was apparently saw a huge spike in applications. I'm guessing the 10-11 cycle inflated medians for a lot of schools.

Anyway, I could be completely wrong about the macro-factors. But I do think you can count on a nice scholly package :D

You are so helpful. Once again, both points make a lot of sense. Thank you! (and I certainly hope you're right! ;))

Tremendous

Postby Tremendous » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:07 pm

cusenation wrote:
Unoriginalist wrote:
cusenation wrote:

Well last year the Dean explained that their ranking drop was due to the fact that the school implemented new ABA-reporting standards for reporting job placement to the U.S News a year earlier than other schools, and that next year (this year) their ranking should go back up once everyone else adheres to the same standards. But of course that depended on them maintaining the same LSAT medians, which they didn't. But I'd be surprised if WUSTL didn't move up slightly in the rankings just based on everyone else adopting the new reporting standards.

Looking at the past couple years of LSN data for 168's, the minimum for "nice schollys" for GPAs of 3.1+ seems to be around $60,000. Is that about right?

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:11 pm

Tremendous wrote:
Looking at the past couple years of LSN data for 168's, the minimum for "nice schollys" for GPAs of 3.1+ seems to be around $60,000. Is that about right?

I can't speak on a broad level because I haven't looked at the data you're referring to, but I got exactly 60K in scholly last cycle with a 3.0/169

Tremendous

Postby Tremendous » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:38 pm

Are most Jan. 25th ASD attendees going to be staying just for that day or for the weekend as a whole?

I'd definitely be interested in exploring St. Louis, eating at some places, and doing some sightseeing for a couple extra days if others are down!

dproduct

Postby dproduct » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:42 pm

Really wish I could fund the January ASD, but I'm definitely going the March one. I just reviewed the itinerary and it looks great. I want pictures and reviews from EVERYONE about how St. Louis/WUSTL was.

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:43 pm

dproduct wrote:Really wish I could fund the January ASD, but I'm definitely going the March one. I just reviewed the itinerary and it looks great. I want pictures and reviews from EVERYONE about how St. Louis/WUSTL was.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and just let you know that I'll think it's cold.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:45 pm

cusenation wrote:Well last year the Dean explained that their ranking drop was due to the fact that the school implemented new ABA-reporting standards for reporting job placement to the U.S News a year earlier than other schools, and that next year (this year) their ranking should go back up once everyone else adheres to the same standards. But of course that depended on them maintaining the same LSAT medians, which they didn't. But I'd be surprised if WUSTL didn't move up slightly in the rankings just based on everyone else adopting the new reporting standards.

What you say above is true, but the bolded part is going to be true for a lot of schools, and it will likely work to cancel things out. The lack of applicants means less students with higher LSATs to admit. A lot of the lower T14 and T30 schools saw median drops as well last year, and this year is going to be worse.

shntn

Postby shntn » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:45 pm

dproduct wrote:Really wish I could fund the January ASD, but I'm definitely going the March one. I just reviewed the itinerary and it looks great. I want pictures and reviews from EVERYONE about how St. Louis/WUSTL was.

Less chance of congealing in the cold.

ETA: scooped

dproduct

Postby dproduct » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:49 pm

shntn wrote:

Yeah, I'm a little concerned with weather TBH. I think it's freezing in LA right now at 50 degrees. I know whitegirlproblems/firstworldproblems/californiagirlproblems etc. I'll figure it out eventually.

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:51 pm

dproduct wrote:
shntn wrote:

Yeah, I'm a little concerned with weather TBH. I think it's freezing in LA right now at 50 degrees. I know whitegirlproblems/firstworldproblems/californiagirlproblems etc. I'll figure it out eventually.

The lows are dipping into the upper-60's (and by that I mean 69º) this weekend and people are talking about the "cold front."

shntn

Postby shntn » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:51 pm

dproduct wrote:
shntn wrote:

You get used to it. Just don't get sick.

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:52 pm

shntn wrote:
dproduct wrote:
shntn wrote:

And if you do get sick, die quickly.

dproduct

Postby dproduct » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:54 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:The lows are dipping into the upper-60's (and by that I mean 69º) this weekend and people are talking about the "cold front."

I'm expecting a full WUSTL review from you especially! I feel as if we'll share numerous amounts of similar questions.

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:54 pm

dproduct wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:The lows are dipping into the upper-60's (and by that I mean 69º) this weekend and people are talking about the "cold front."

I'm expecting a full WUSTL review from you especially! I feel as if we'll share numerous amounts of similar questions.

If you're insinuating that I'm going to check out the gay life while there, you're correct.

shntn

Postby shntn » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:54 pm

dproduct wrote:

You can read his review in the Grindr thread.

dproduct

Postby dproduct » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:55 pm

shntn wrote:
dproduct wrote:
shntn wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”