WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
wannabelawstudent
Posts: 2588
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:33 pm

Re: Eternal, Never Off the First Page, WUSTL is the Best Thread.

Postby wannabelawstudent » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:26 pm

dougfunny wrote:
cusenation wrote:
dougfunny wrote:Thanks guys. Any chance a school would actually respond to a threat of withdrawing at that point?


Hell yes depending on your numbers. Last minute withdrawals suck for schools cuz the only pool they can turn to at that point to compensate for lost numbers is the waitlist...many of whom are presumably deposited at other schools. Don't be afraid to threaten to withdraw, especially this cycle.


If my LSAT is at or above the 75th of the schools I applied to, is there even any point? Sorry if this is all horribly off topic and better suited for somewhere else. Just don't have a ton of other sources for this kind of information and I clearly lack personal knowledge on the topic.

Well we all lack knowledge of the subject because this is so unique and don't really happen. You're banking on a high score that a law school will want to reach a median and that they have the bank to pay out.

With that being said, if you were already above the 75th, I don't think a score increase is gonna help you much.

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: Eternal, Never Off the First Page, WUSTL is the Best Thread.

Postby DoveBodyWash » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:27 pm

dietcoke0 wrote:You could take, and threaten to defer, then reapply next year, but it would be a pretty meh move. They take their deposits seriously, and if you do #2 (which would would have by then) then you are expected to do.

Retaking in June is to get off a Waitlist at a higher school, and if that's not really an option, would be a douchy thing to try and do it to extort more scholarship money only.


While I agree that it would be kind of a dick move to withdraw after second deposit..and that you should assume at the very least that they'd be somewhat apprehensive of your app if you re-apply to the same school the following year...I would still recommend that you use all the tools at your disposal to make school financially viable. This is your future. What individual adcomms think about you for a few weeks should be the least of your worries when we're talking about debt-levels this high.

FWIW, I think you should take the June test, and if you do significantly better, withdraw and re-apply next cycle.

Unoriginalist wrote:Wouldn't waiting that long also risk the possibility of the school not really having a whole heck of a lot of scholarship left to give out? I assume by July they try to have given out what they're going to give out.


Most major law schools will be able to afford to give out a couple thousand more bucks. Scholarships are really just discounts anyway, it's not like they have a pool of actual money that they're giving out and are limited to. Schools want us to think that there's a limited amount of scholly available so that we panic and settle. The truth is that these are schools have millions in endowment to cover operating costs, and they get transfers every year to compensate for lost revenue. Negotiate, negotiate, negotiate!

dougfunny wrote:
If my LSAT is at or above the 75th of the schools I applied to, is there even any point? Sorry if this is all horribly off topic and better suited for somewhere else. Just don't have a ton of other sources for this kind of information and I clearly lack personal knowledge on the topic.


It's okay, it's what these threads are for :). Once you're over the 75th, then you're over the 75th. So i agree that the ultimate impact might be limited for those schools. But getting a higher LSAT will give u access to other schools that might have been out of ur reach previously. This is primarily why most of us recommend re-applying next cycle if you're June test comes out significantly higher.
Last edited by DoveBodyWash on Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Xs20
Posts: 821
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:03 pm

Re: Eternal, Never Off the First Page, WUSTL is the Best Thread.

Postby Xs20 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:27 pm

dougfunny wrote:
If my LSAT is at or above the 75th of the schools I applied to, is there even any point? Sorry if this is all horribly off topic and better suited for somewhere else. Just don't have a ton of other sources for this kind of information and I clearly lack personal knowledge on the topic.

If you're above the 75th of every school you applied to, I don't see much reason to retake. Once you're either above a 75th or below a 25th, it doesn't really matter by how much, I don't think.

Scooped

User avatar
alwayssunnyinfl
Posts: 4100
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:34 pm

Re: Eternal, Never Off the First Page, WUSTL is the Best Thread.

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:30 pm

Xs20 wrote:Once you're either above a 75th or below a 25th, it doesn't really matter by how much, I don't think.


I think once you move into this range of extremes, it becomes more of an expression of what they think you're capable of instead of being so formulaic. Sure, if a school's 25th GPA is 3.6. it shouldn't matter if you have a 3.3 or a 2.5, but the applicant with a 2.5 is going to have to show that they have the discipline and followthrough to do well in LS after doing so poorly in undergrad.

User avatar
Xs20
Posts: 821
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:03 pm

Re: Eternal, Never Off the First Page, WUSTL is the Best Thread.

Postby Xs20 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:32 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
Xs20 wrote:Once you're either above a 75th or below a 25th, it doesn't really matter by how much, I don't think.


I think once you move into this range of extremes, it becomes more of an expression of what they think you're capable of instead of being so formulaic. Sure, if a school's 25th GPA is 3.6. it shouldn't matter if you have a 3.3 or a 2.5, but the applicant with a 2.5 is going to have to show that they have the discipline and followthrough to do well in LS after doing so poorly in undergrad.

Agreed. I guess I meant that's probably more true for the upper extreme.

wannabelawstudent
Posts: 2588
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:33 pm

Re: Eternal, Never Off the First Page, WUSTL is the Best Thread.

Postby wannabelawstudent » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:33 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
Xs20 wrote:Once you're either above a 75th or below a 25th, it doesn't really matter by how much, I don't think.


I think once you move into this range of extremes, it becomes more of an expression of what they think you're capable of instead of being so formulaic. Sure, if a school's 25th GPA is 3.6. it shouldn't matter if you have a 3.3 or a 2.5, but the applicant with a 2.5 is going to have to show that they have the discipline and followthrough to do well in LS after doing so poorly in undergrad.

Posting on TLS is the best way to show that you have matured into a responsible law school applicant.

User avatar
alwayssunnyinfl
Posts: 4100
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:34 pm

Re: Eternal, Never Off the First Page, WUSTL is the Best Thread.

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:33 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
Xs20 wrote:Once you're either above a 75th or below a 25th, it doesn't really matter by how much, I don't think.


I think once you move into this range of extremes, it becomes more of an expression of what they think you're capable of instead of being so formulaic. Sure, if a school's 25th GPA is 3.6. it shouldn't matter if you have a 3.3 or a 2.5, but the applicant with a 2.5 is going to have to show that they have the discipline and followthrough to do well in LS after doing so poorly in undergrad.

Posting on TLS is the best way to show that you have matured into a responsible law school applicant.

That's my strategy, at least.

wannabelawstudent
Posts: 2588
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:33 pm

Re: Eternal, Never Off the First Page, WUSTL is the Best Thread.

Postby wannabelawstudent » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:34 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
wannabelawstudent wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
Xs20 wrote:Once you're either above a 75th or below a 25th, it doesn't really matter by how much, I don't think.


I think once you move into this range of extremes, it becomes more of an expression of what they think you're capable of instead of being so formulaic. Sure, if a school's 25th GPA is 3.6. it shouldn't matter if you have a 3.3 or a 2.5, but the applicant with a 2.5 is going to have to show that they have the discipline and followthrough to do well in LS after doing so poorly in undergrad.

Posting on TLS is the best way to show that you have matured into a responsible law school applicant.

That's my strategy, at least.

Mine too

User avatar
dougfunny
Posts: 97
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:15 am

Re: Eternal, Never Off the First Page, WUSTL is the Best Thread.

Postby dougfunny » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:41 pm

Thanks everyone. I have a lower gpa so I doubt raising my LSAT score would help get me into any higher ranked schools that I would get any scholarship money at. I am definitely not trying to pay sticker to go anywhere so I will probably just end up sticking with this cycle and maybe taking the LSAT in June to see if I can get any more money out of whatever school I decide on.

User avatar
dietcoke0
Posts: 601
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:46 pm

Re: Eternal, Never Off the First Page, WUSTL is the Best Thread.

Postby dietcoke0 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:03 pm

If you have a sub 3, Wash U might be your best bet. I had sub 3, and Wash U was the highest I got into, and by far the best $$/Ranking Ratio. But once you get over 168/169 with your sub 3, it doesn't matter how high you are (unless maybe if you get like a 177+, but if you can get that, I'm sure a N'Western or similar would take a better look)

User avatar
dietcoke0
Posts: 601
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:46 pm

Re: Eternal, Never Off the First Page, WUSTL is the Best Thread.

Postby dietcoke0 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:06 pm

That time and effort for the LSAT might just be better off getting a $10 an hour job. Small firms hire law student file clerks during the semesters, and many of them do other things for the summer, leaving temp work in the summer. Would be a good resume builder, way to network, and getting acclimated to a firm. Could make a few grand and work on future payouts then taking a lotto ticket for what may or may not work out even if you get the winning numbers.

wannabelawstudent
Posts: 2588
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:33 pm

Re: Eternal, Never Off the First Page, WUSTL is the Best Thread.

Postby wannabelawstudent » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:11 pm

dietcoke0 wrote:If you have a sub 3, Wash U might be your best bet. I had sub 3, and Wash U was the highest I got into, and by far the best $$/Ranking Ratio. But once you get over 168/169 with your sub 3, it doesn't matter how high you are (unless maybe if you get like a 177+, but if you can get that, I'm sure a N'Western or similar would take a better look)

What do you think about a 2.5/167 that hasnt heard back from WUSTL yet?

User avatar
dietcoke0
Posts: 601
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:46 pm

Re: Eternal, Never Off the First Page, WUSTL is the Best Thread.

Postby dietcoke0 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:34 pm

You're fine, and you'll get money. My guess 10-20k, closer to 20k. I wouldn't settle if they try 10k, and would apply to a few other schools that are generous with scholarship money to try and negotiate.

When did you get your app in?

wannabelawstudent
Posts: 2588
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:33 pm

Re: Eternal, Never Off the First Page, WUSTL is the Best Thread.

Postby wannabelawstudent » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:35 pm

dietcoke0 wrote:You're fine, and you'll get money. My guess 10-20k, closer to 20k. I wouldn't settle if they try 10k, and would apply to a few other schools that are generous with scholarship money to try and negotiate.

When did you get your app in?

I went complete 1/09, if I got 20k I'd go crazy....

User avatar
dietcoke0
Posts: 601
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:46 pm

Re: Eternal, Never Off the First Page, WUSTL is the Best Thread.

Postby dietcoke0 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:36 pm

Looking at your cycle, not seeing anyone on there cept IU that might drop money on you. Maybe try to get a fee waiver at Chicago-Kent. I used them in my scholarship negotiation.

wannabelawstudent
Posts: 2588
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:33 pm

Re: Eternal, Never Off the First Page, WUSTL is the Best Thread.

Postby wannabelawstudent » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:38 pm

dietcoke0 wrote:Looking at your cycle, not seeing anyone on there cept IU that might drop money on you. Maybe try to get a fee waiver at Chicago-Kent. I used them in my scholarship negotiation.

Minny offered me money but I haven't gotten the packet yet, so did richmond. IUB offered me 20k/year.

User avatar
dietcoke0
Posts: 601
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:46 pm

Re: Eternal, Never Off the First Page, WUSTL is the Best Thread.

Postby dietcoke0 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:42 pm

Yeah, plenty of options then. You might try to up IU to get more from Wash U if you want to try. Wash U are stingy with upping offers early on, and after second deposit, but April 1st to May 1st seems to be when they make their moves.

User avatar
dietcoke0
Posts: 601
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:46 pm

Re: Eternal, Never Off the First Page, WUSTL is the Best Thread.

Postby dietcoke0 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:44 pm

I'm not familiar enough with Minn, but I know they do give a good scholarship offer. Things to mention is you want to work in Middle America, so that's why Wash U is a good choice, and cost of living would be less at other schools, so could you please give me some more money so I can eat Noodles and Company N' stuff.

User avatar
andy261
Posts: 405
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:50 pm

Re: Eternal, Never Off the First Page, WUSTL is the Best Thread.

Postby andy261 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:46 pm

dietcoke0 wrote:Yeah, plenty of options then. You might try to up IU to get more from Wash U if you want to try. Wash U are stingy with upping offers early on, and after second deposit, but April 1st to May 1st seems to be when they make their moves.

Good to know!

wannabelawstudent
Posts: 2588
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:33 pm

Re: Eternal, Never Off the First Page, WUSTL is the Best Thread.

Postby wannabelawstudent » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:47 pm

dietcoke0 wrote:I'm not familiar enough with Minn, but I know they do give a good scholarship offer. Things to mention is you want to work in Middle America, so that's why Wash U is a good choice, and cost of living would be less at other schools, so could you please give me some more money so I can eat Noodles and Company N' stuff.

Minny loves the 167, and pays top dollar for it. (for example i got in with a 2.5/167, and someone with a 3.4/166 who did their UG at minn got waitlisted).

shntn
Posts: 5319
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:45 pm

Re: Eternal, Never Off the First Page, WUSTL is the Best Thread.

Postby shntn » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:48 pm

andy261 wrote:
dietcoke0 wrote:Yeah, plenty of options then. You might try to up IU to get more from Wash U if you want to try. Wash U are stingy with upping offers early on, and after second deposit, but April 1st to May 1st seems to be when they make their moves.

Good to know!

User avatar
dietcoke0
Posts: 601
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:46 pm

Re: Eternal, Never Off the First Page, WUSTL is the Best Thread.

Postby dietcoke0 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:49 pm

Yeah, they game like Wash U games, surprising for a public school. The 168 Wall Wash U used to have was hilarious. They had to go soft last year since numbers were so down across the board.

User avatar
andy261
Posts: 405
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:50 pm

Re: Eternal, Never Off the First Page, WUSTL is the Best Thread.

Postby andy261 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:50 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote:
dietcoke0 wrote:I'm not familiar enough with Minn, but I know they do give a good scholarship offer. Things to mention is you want to work in Middle America, so that's why Wash U is a good choice, and cost of living would be less at other schools, so could you please give me some more money so I can eat Noodles and Company N' stuff.

Minny loves the 167, and pays top dollar for it. (for example i got in with a 2.5/167, and someone with a 3.4/166 who did their UG at minn got waitlisted).

Saw that lol. Brutal but someone's gotta show the splitter love!

wannabelawstudent
Posts: 2588
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:33 pm

Re: Eternal, Never Off the First Page, WUSTL is the Best Thread.

Postby wannabelawstudent » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:52 pm

dietcoke0 wrote:Yeah, they game like Wash U games, surprising for a public school. The 168 Wall Wash U used to have was hilarious. They had to go soft last year since numbers were so down across the board.

Ugh, yeah I was so disappointed when I got a 167, even more disappointed when I realized I forgot to bubble in a question. If I don't get in I am going to regret that questions FOR THE REST OF MY ENTIRE LIFE.

wannabelawstudent
Posts: 2588
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:33 pm

Re: Eternal, Never Off the First Page, WUSTL is the Best Thread.

Postby wannabelawstudent » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:52 pm

andy261 wrote:
wannabelawstudent wrote:
dietcoke0 wrote:I'm not familiar enough with Minn, but I know they do give a good scholarship offer. Things to mention is you want to work in Middle America, so that's why Wash U is a good choice, and cost of living would be less at other schools, so could you please give me some more money so I can eat Noodles and Company N' stuff.

Minny loves the 167, and pays top dollar for it. (for example i got in with a 2.5/167, and someone with a 3.4/166 who did their UG at minn got waitlisted).

Saw that lol. Brutal but someone's gotta show the splitter love!

What was funnier was right afterwards my opposite (160/3.9) got in.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Daaltaraan, MSNbot Media, Veil of Ignorance, zeglo and 18 guests