WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
DoveBodyWash

Re: Eternal, Never Off the First Page, WUSTL is the Best Thread.

Postby DoveBodyWash » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:00 pm

JayJones78 wrote:All transfers pay sticker regardless?
I think I'm discovering that in many cases of schools in the 20s, when you're in the top 20% you're starting salery will not be that much different (for biglaw) than T14s (i.e 140-160K). Is that a fair assesment?

Eh the cut-off will depend on the school and what type of job you want to go to...But I guess that's a relatively fair generalization to make. Always remember that unless you go to one of those Texas litigation boutiques, the maximum starting salary for a new grad is 160K. Doesn't matter if you're at Harvard or BC. 160k is the max. So transferring up to a T14 won't give u access to a higher-paying job..it'll just give you a better shot at the job that u had a shot at anyway at your T20 (assuming you're in the top 10-30% of your class)

Schools give merit scholarship primarily to recruit/woo students with higher numbers. Transfers aren't factored into the U.S News Rankings, so schools have no incentive to give them scholarship. Also, transfers have become a de facto way for schools to shore up any revenue they lost from giving out scholly to the original class

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:04 pm

Isn't the common wisdom that you have to be more like top 5ish% at least to transfer from WUSTL to HYS? In that case, there probably is next to no difference in your biglaw prospects from either school and you're really chasing prestige.

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:06 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:Isn't the common wisdom that you have to be more like top 5ish% at least to transfer from WUSTL to HYS? In that case, there probably is next to no difference in your biglaw prospects from either school and you're really chasing prestige.

+1

It's funny because the students that would benefit most from transferring up (those at median or below) are the students that probably couldn't get into a higher school anyway. And the students that are likely to be admitted to a higher school, are the ones that don't need to in the first place.

Honestly transferring only makes real sense if:
-Loans aren't an issue for whatever reason (you're paying out of pocket...you're already paying sticker)
-It's a huge upward jump.. (i.e. TTT to T20...or T1 to T14)
Last edited by DoveBodyWash on Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:06 pm

If they give you a 5k one year scholly I suggest transferring

shntn

Postby shntn » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:06 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote:If they give you a 5k one year scholly I suggest transferring

:lol: :lol:

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:08 pm

cusenation wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:All transfers pay sticker regardless?
I think I'm discovering that in many cases of schools in the 20s, when you're in the top 20% you're starting salery will not be that much different (for biglaw) than T14s (i.e 140-160K). Is that a fair assesment?

Eh the cut-off will depend on the school and what type of job you want to go to...But I guess that's a relatively fair generalization to make. Always remember that unless you go to one of those Texas litigation boutiques the maximum starting salary for a new grad is 160K. Doesn't matter if you're at Harvard or BC. 160k is the max. So transferring up to a T14 won't give u access to a higher-paying job..it'll just give you a better shot at the job that u had a shot at anyway at your T20 (assuming you're in the top 10-30% of your class)

Schools give merit scholarship primarily to recruit/woo students with higher numbers. Transfers aren't factored into the U.S News Rankings, so schools have no incentive to give them scholarship. Also, transfers have become a de facto way for schools to shore up any revenue they lost from giving out scholly to the original class

First about the bolded:???
Second: will you have a better chance to nailing a 160K biglaw position out of a t14 than a school in the 20s? That is:"I'll give 160K to Tommy from Duke and 140K to Marsha from WashU and 135K to Willie from W&L" (said in a closed board room of a biglaw firm)

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:10 pm

JayJones78 wrote:First about the bolded:???
Second: will you have a better chance to nailing a 160K biglaw position out of a t14 than a school in the 20s? That is:"I'll give 160K to Tommy from Duke and 140K to Marsha from WashU and 135K to Willie from W&L" (said in a closed board room of a biglaw firm)

1.There are some boutique firms (usually litigation..and usually in Texas), that pay 180K+ for starting.

2. Naw, salaries are lock-step. All the associates in each class-year get paid the same salary, regardless of which school they come out of. Maybe a smaller firm will pay 135K starting versus 160K, but firms don't differentiate salaries for associates in the same class-year within their own office.

shntn

Postby shntn » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:10 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
First about the bolded:???

1. Some firms pay more than that, but they're few.
2. No. The starting salary is the exact same for everyone, regardless of their school. Those jobs are just relatively easier or more difficult to get depending on one's school.

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:11 pm

No, the salary is payed for the position. The only time you would get a bonus or a higher pay grade is if you have something that actually matters more than school prestige, like a clerkship, relevant w/e, etc.

The only thing the degree does is get you the interview.

WokeUpInACar

Postby WokeUpInACar » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:11 pm

Did you read my post?

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:11 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:The only thing the degree does is get you the interview.

+100

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:14 pm

cusenation wrote:

1.There are some boutique firms (usually litigation..and usually in Texas), that pay 180K+ for starting.

2. Naw, salaries are lock-step. All the associates in each class-year get paid the same salary, regardless of which school they come out of. Maybe a smaller firm will pay 135K starting versus 160K, but firms don't differentiate salaries for associates in the same class-year within their own office.

I assume they are not in Austin, which is the only place I'd ever live in TX

shntn

Postby shntn » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:15 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
cusenation wrote:

I assume they are not in Austin, which is the only place I'd ever live in TX

http://abovethelaw.com/2012/10/the-160k ... -salaries/

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:15 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:

No, the salary is payed for the position. The only time you would get a bonus or a higher pay grade is if you have something that actually matters more than school prestige, like a clerkship, relevant w/e, etc.

Okay, so the question is how easier will it be to get the interview from a t14 than from a T20

JamesDean1955

Postby JamesDean1955 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:15 pm

Is this the thread where people post after smoking crack?

shntn

Postby shntn » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:17 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:

Okay, so the question is how easier will it be to get the interview from a t14 than from a T20

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?r=schools

Dig in.

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:18 pm

JayJones78 wrote:Okay, so the question is how easier will it be to get the interview from a t14 than from a T20

OCI interviews at T-14's are done through a lottery. So theoretically everyone has an equal shot at getting interviews. But you probably won't get hired unless you're in the top-half of your class.

At T20's, it's 70% pre-select and 30% lottery. So employers get to pre-select candidates for 70% of their slots, and they agree to earmark the remaining 30% of their slots for lottery candidates. The problem is that almost all the firms will pre-select the same group of students. So the top 20-30% of the class will be recycled throughout all the employers.

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:21 pm

Crazy snow storm here today. School is starting to shut down. May extend to tomorrow. Wouldn't expect scholly info until next week at the earliest.

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:21 pm

cusenation wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:Okay, so the question is how easier will it be to get the interview from a t14 than from a T20

OCI interviews at T-14's are done through a lottery. So theoretically everyone has an equal shot at getting interviews. But you probably won't get hired unless you're in the top-half of your class.

At T20's, it's 70% pre-select and 30% lottery. So employers get to pre-select candidates for 70% of their slots, and they agree to earmark the remaining 30% of their slots for lottery candidates. The problem is that almost all the firms will pre-select the same group of students. So the top 20-30% of the class will be recycled throughout all the employers.

Thanks!! Interesting notes from everyone that calm me a bit

shntn

Postby shntn » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:22 pm

TatteredDignity wrote:Crazy snow storm here today. School is starting to shut down. May extend to tomorrow. Wouldn't expect scholly info until next week at the earliest.

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:22 pm

Stay safe you guys! I'll enjoy the beach for you 8)

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:22 pm

Yeah they're twitter says the school is closed today :(

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:24 pm

Businesses are closed too. It's hailing.

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:26 pm

Good thing MAC got outta town.

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:27 pm

Disable images everyone

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”