WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Unoriginalist

Bronze

Re: Eternal, Never Off the First Page, WUSTL is the Best Thread.

Post by Unoriginalist » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:26 am

Haha. I'm choosing not to tease you both for not checking the NALP website ;)

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:27 am

Unoriginalist wrote:Haha. I'm choosing not to tease you both for not checking the NALP website ;)
Wait no, that's not what i was looking for! That's just general information about the school...i want the NALP Job Placement data!

Unoriginalist

Bronze

Post by Unoriginalist » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:27 am

cusenation wrote:
Unoriginalist wrote:Haha. I'm choosing not to tease you both for not checking the NALP website ;)
Wait no, that's not what i was looking for! That's just general information about the school...i want the NALP Job Placement data!
Thwarted again!

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:28 am

JXander wrote:JayJones, did you interview yet? If so, how was it?
I did. Interviewed with KO. It went very well. Se even remembered me from a law fair that I went to oct 2011, which was nice. I felt it was a little too short (~15min or so) but overall good. I don't think it'll be what nails my app, but still a nice particle to have in it.

JXander

Silver

Post by JXander » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:29 am

JayJones78 wrote:
I did. Interviewed with KO. It went very well. Se even remembered me from a law fair that I went to oct 2011, which was nice. I felt it was a little too short (~15min or so) but overall good. I don't think it'll be what nails my app, but still a nice particle to have in it.
Great, good to hear. Rooting for ya.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

westphiladelphia

Bronze

Post by westphiladelphia » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:31 am

JXander wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
+1.

if all else fails, send em the brando 'tar. that'll seal the deal.

T20hopeful89

Bronze

Post by T20hopeful89 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:32 am

Unoriginalist wrote:
cusenation wrote:
Thwarted again!

Would this be what you're looking for? http://www.nalp.org/starting_salaries_class_of_2011

T20hopeful89

Bronze

Post by T20hopeful89 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:32 am

T20hopeful89 wrote:
Unoriginalist wrote:
cusenation wrote:
Thwarted again!

Would this be what you're looking for? http://www.nalp.org/starting_salaries_class_of_2011

Oh that is not WUSTL specific - just the general one...sorry!

Xs20

Silver

Post by Xs20 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:33 am

cusenation wrote:
Erm yes. I blame XS20 for leading me to believe that the report was nowhere to be found.
:oops:

Eta: nvm, looks like I was right. I do most of my TLSing from my phone while I'm driving.
Last edited by Xs20 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:34 am

westphiladelphia wrote:
JXander wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
+1.

if all else fails, send em the brando 'tar. that'll seal the deal.
I am half hoping that they are reading the thread and realized who I am 8)

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:34 am

T20hopeful89 wrote:
T20hopeful89 wrote: Would this be what you're looking for? http://www.nalp.org/starting_salaries_class_of_2011
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=bc&show=NALP
I'm basically looking for the WUSTL-version of that. But again, BC's the only T30 school that's disclosed :?
Xs20 wrote: :oops:
Actually you were right..haha
Last edited by DoveBodyWash on Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unoriginalist

Bronze

Post by Unoriginalist » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:35 am

Xs20 wrote:
cusenation wrote:
Erm yes. I blame XS20 for leading me to believe that the report was nowhere to be found.
:oops:
No, it looks like you were right! That's just the general school info. I was the one mistaken haha.

Unoriginalist

Bronze

Post by Unoriginalist » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:36 am

cusenation wrote:
T20hopeful89 wrote:
T20hopeful89 wrote: Would this be what you're looking for? http://www.nalp.org/starting_salaries_class_of_2011
http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=bc&show=NALP
I'm basically looking for the WUSTL-version of that. But again, BC's the only T30 school that's disclosed :?
Xs20 wrote: :oops:
Actually you were right..haha
As for salary info, the only thing I ever found for WashU was the median private/public salaries listed on US News: http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... ouis-03092
US News wrote:Median private sector starting salary $135,000
Median public service starting salary $55,000
Edit: quotes fail
Last edited by Unoriginalist on Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

wannabelawstudent

Gold

Post by wannabelawstudent » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:31 pm

Why is MAC outta town?

WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Post by WokeUpInACar » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:38 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote:Why is MAC outta town?
Flying to Oklahoma to accept you in person.

JesusChrist

Bronze

Post by JesusChrist » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:40 pm

They matched me through my undergrad. Excited to see what happens! I'm guessing this is also a new program they're doing.

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:43 pm

So a general question:
How many people here would consider transfering up if they are at the top 20% or higher after first semester of 1L?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:43 pm

JesusChrist wrote:They matched me through my undergrad. Excited to see what happens! I'm guessing this is also a new program they're doing.
I got paired with a 1L last year..but it was a lot more casual/unofficial. No regard to considering ties/interests when matching us. And I dunno if everyone was matched with a 1L but it was pretty useless for me as far as having my questions about employment answered. Glad to see they're matching us with upper-classmen now.

wannabelawstudent

Gold

Post by wannabelawstudent » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:43 pm

I think they're closed today due to snow :(

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:44 pm

JayJones78 wrote:So a general question:
How many people here would consider transfering up if they are at the top 20% or higher after first semester of 1L?
Not at all. Especially since I'd have to pay sticker. And I'm already top 20% or higher, why transfer into a bigger, more expensive pond when I'm already one of the bigger fish in my current pond?

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:45 pm

cusenation wrote:
Not at all. Especially since I'd have to pay sticker. And I'm already top 20% or higher, why transfer into a bigger, more expensive pond when I'm already one of the bigger fish in my current pond?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:49 pm

shntn wrote:
cusenation wrote:
Valid point. So why do people transfer up from 20s to t14 and from t14s to HYS? What's the motive or incentive there?

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:50 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
shntn wrote:
cusenation wrote:
Valid point. So why do people transfer up from 20s to t14 and from t14s to HYS? What's the motive or incentive there?
1. PresTTTige.
2. If they're already paying sticker at original school, then I guess it makes sense to transfer up.
3. PresTTTTTTTige.

Jokes aside, a friend at NU told me that a good number of WUSTL students transfer into NU every year cuz of better BigLaw prospects. It makes sense if those students were paying sticker at WUSTL. Because they're basically in a BigLaw-or-Bust situation as it is anyway, so it makes sense to transfer up to a school that'll give you a better shot at Biglaw.

I imagine a similar scenario could be true across the transfer market. But honestly..if you're on scholarship, already at the top of your class...you stand to lose more by transferring up and paying sticker. This is assuming that you were at a decent school to begin with..If you're at a TTT...then yes. Def transfer up.

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:57 pm

cusenation wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
shntn wrote:
cusenation wrote:
1. PresTTTige.
2. If they're already paying sticker at original school, then I guess it makes sense to transfer up.
3. PresTTTTTTTige.

Jokes aside, a friend at NU told me that a good number of WUSTL students transfer into NU every year cuz of better BigLaw prospects. It makes sense if those students were paying sticker at WUSTL. Because they're basically in a BigLaw-or-Bust situation as it is anyway, so it makes sense to transfer up to a school that'll give you a better shot at Biglaw.

I imagine a similar scenario could be true across the transfer market. But honestly..if you're on scholarship, already at the top of your class...you stand to lose more by transferring up and paying sticker. This is assuming that you were at a decent school to begin with..If you're at a TTT...then yes. Def transfer up.
All transfers pay sticker regardless?
I think I'm discovering that in many cases of schools in the 20s, when you're in the top 20% you're starting salery will not be that much different (for biglaw) than T14s (i.e 140-160K). Is that a fair assesment?

WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Post by WokeUpInACar » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:00 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
All transfers pay sticker regardless?
I think I'm discovering that in many cases of schools in the 20s, when you're in the top 20% you're starting salery will not be that much different (for biglaw) than T14s (i.e 140-160K). Is that a fair assesment?
Biglaw starting salaries are uniform and don't change based on what school you come from. Certain schools just give you a better shot of getting there.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”