WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
JXander

Re: Eternal, Never Off the First Page, WUSTL is the Best Thread.

Postby JXander » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:34 am

dproduct wrote:
Spikedude wrote:Can anyone share their experience negotiating a higher scholarship from WUSTL?

inb4 scholarships aren't even out yet dude.

WUSTL has typically been the most generous of their peer schools so I couldn't find much on scholarship negotiations.

ohreallynow?

Well, if they don't give me more than Emory did, I will probably withdraw.

shifty_eyed

Postby shifty_eyed » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:37 am

I got my flash drive today! Pretty sure I'm going to ASW. :D

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:44 am

JXander wrote:
dproduct wrote:
Spikedude wrote:Can anyone share their experience negotiating a higher scholarship from WUSTL?

WUSTL has typically been the most generous of their peer schools so I couldn't find much on scholarship negotiations.

ohreallynow?

Emory's relationship to the T20 is kind of strange..it used to be a true peer school, but then their medians dropped, rankings dropped, reports of poor job placement and all that sort of made it the ugly duckling of the T20. It's sort of recovered rankings-wise but it's medians are still much lower than its previous peers.

But it basically becomes a "peer" school because it's not. Because it's not a peer school, Emory tries to play catch up by giving more scholly to boost its medians, which ultimately turns it into a peer school as far as scholly is concerned.

I'm almost positive that WUSTL's initial offers will not match Emory schollies across all LSAT/GPA brackets. That doesn't mean they won't match later on if you negotiate..but there's no reason for WUSTL to match Emory as far as initial offers..they don't need to, their medians are higher and they traditionally enjoy a higher peer score.

Don't make the mistake of withdrawing too early! Unless you're unwilling to pay two deposits, you could potentially leverage WUSTL and Emory against each other and get the best deal you can, even if you end up going to Emory

JXander

Postby JXander » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:51 am

cusenation wrote:Emory's relationship to the T20 is kind of strange..it used to be a true peer school, but then their medians dropped, rankings dropped, reports of poor job placement and all that sort of made it the ugly duckling of the T20. It's sort of recovered rankings-wise but it's medians are still much lower than its previous peers.

But it basically becomes a "peer" school because it's not. Because it's not a peer school, Emory tries to play catch up by giving more scholly to boost its medians, which ultimately turns it into a peer school as far as scholly is concerned.

I'm almost positive that WUSTL's initial offers will not match Emory schollies across all LSAT/GPA brackets. That doesn't mean they won't match later on if you negotiate..but there's no reason for WUSTL to match Emory as far as initial offers..they don't need to, their medians are higher and they traditionally enjoy a higher peer score.

Don't make the mistake of withdrawing too early! Unless you're unwilling to pay two deposits, you could potentially leverage WUSTL and Emory against each other and get the best deal you can, even if you end up going to Emory

Good advice...thanks for sharing, Cuse!!!

yednock

Postby yednock » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:29 am

cusenation wrote:
JXander wrote:
dproduct wrote:

ohreallynow?

Emory's relationship to the T20 is kind of strange..it used to be a true peer school, but then their medians dropped, rankings dropped, reports of poor job placement and all that sort of made it the ugly duckling of the T20. It's sort of recovered rankings-wise but it's medians are still much lower than its previous peers.

I didn't want to wait for scholarship decisions and then have to make multiple deposits because of timing when I really just want to go to WUSTL. I went ahead and wrote to WUSTL in advance of scholarship decisions letting them know they are my top choice if it is financially feasible to attend in light of other offers. I mentioned my award from Emory among others so I will let you know how it is received.

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:08 pm

Got WL at Cardozo. Does that equal a future WashU ding? I sure hope not!!

Unoriginalist

Postby Unoriginalist » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:09 pm

JayJones78 wrote:Got WL at Cardozo. Does that equal a future WashU ding? I sure hope not!!

Anything can happen, but I'm rootin' for you!

Hopefully the end of our respective waits are on the horizon.

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:15 pm

Unoriginalist wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:Got WL at Cardozo. Does that equal a future WashU ding? I sure hope not!!

Anything can happen, but I'm rootin' for you!

Hopefully the end of our respective waits are on the horizon.

Hopefully. Though my own experience kinda shreds my above prediction. Accepted by W&L and WL at Cardozo. This makes no sense. Hopefully the same logic will follow me to STL.

howardgirl

Postby howardgirl » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:36 pm

I'm really rooting for you! You honestly never know. I got dinged and waitlisted at so many lower ranked schools than WashU, it's ridiculous, so you really can never tell. Your W&L acceptance should speak volumes on that. I really hope you get your acceptance soon.

slawww

Postby slawww » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:10 pm

Just applied after getting a fee waiver e-mail. Is WUSTL known to be generous with $$?

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:12 pm

slawww wrote:Just applied after getting a fee waiver e-mail. Is WUSTL known to be generous with $$?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

shntn

Postby shntn » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:19 pm

My friend just got in. Scholarships, again, should be out in the next week or so.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:22 pm

slawww wrote:Just applied after getting a fee waiver e-mail. Is WUSTL known to be generous with $$?

Insert making it rain gif here.

danitt

Postby danitt » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:27 pm

Jay, remember this is a crapshoot and sometimes there's no rhyme or reason to it especially for URMs.

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:28 pm

danitt wrote:

Jay, remember this is a crapshoot and sometimes there's no rhyme or reason to it especially for URMs.

+1
It ain't over till it's over.

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:28 pm

danitt wrote:

Yah. I'm hopeful because an acceptence from W&L and a WL from Cardozo makes n sense to me.

Oh WashU. Don't be like that. Let me in :roll:

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:33 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
danitt wrote:

Yah. I'm hopeful because an acceptence from W&L and a WL from Cardozo makes n sense to me.

It's actually not that unbelievable, even though there's a big difference in ranking, their LSAT range is virtually the same.

W&L: 159-165
Cardozo: 158-165

Also, both schools moved 6 spots in the rankings last year. W&L moved from 30 to 24, Dozo from 50 to 56. For now we have to assume that the movement for both schools was an anomaly until this year's rankings are released. But until then, it would seem that the gap between them isn't as drastic as it appears

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:35 pm

cusenation wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
danitt wrote:

It's actually not that unbelievable, even though there's a big difference in ranking, their LSAT range is virtually the same.

W&L: 159-165
Cardozo: 158-165

Also, both schools moved 6 spots in the rankings last year. W&L moved from 30 to 24, Dozo from 50 to 56. For now we have to assume that the movement for both schools was an anomaly until this year's rankings are released. But until then, it would seem that the gap between them isn't as drastic as it appears

Maybe you're right. I don't know. App cycle funk continues

Xs20

Postby Xs20 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:41 pm

shntn wrote:My friend just got in. Scholarships, again, should be out in the next week or so.

Did s/he ask in an interview or something?

teiswei

Postby teiswei » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:46 pm

JayJones78 wrote:Maybe you're right. I don't know. App cycle funk continues

Hey I was accepted at BU, WL'd at NU, dinged at UW (?), and got big money from UCI anything can happen and each school has its quirks. Just stay positive, bud.

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:48 pm

teiswei wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:Maybe you're right. I don't know. App cycle funk continues

Hey I was accepted at BU, WL'd at NU, dinged at UW (?), and got big money from UCI anything can happen and each school has its quirks. Just stay positive, bud.

Yeah your cycle wont be like "every school 32 and below will accept"

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:55 pm

I have a joke but I don't want it to be on the bottom of the page.

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:55 pm

I sent some docs today. I'm hoping adding somemore fiber to my app will get some movement going

andy261

Postby andy261 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:59 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote:I have a joke but I don't want it to be on the bottom of the page.

Xs20

Postby Xs20 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:04 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote:I sent some docs today. I'm hoping adding somemore fiber to my app will get some movement going

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”