WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
alwayssunnyinfl

Re: Eternal, Never Off the First Page, WUSTL is the Best Thread.

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:53 pm

Crowing wrote:
Xs20 wrote:WUSTL was higher than Vandy at one point IIRC. Not that it really matters.

I don't think it ever has been. WUSTL didn't even break T25 until about ten years ago. It was really moving up quite steadily up until what happened last year.

http://www.prelawhandbook.com/law_schoo ... 00_present

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:56 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
Crowing wrote:
Xs20 wrote:WUSTL was higher than Vandy at one point IIRC. Not that it really matters.

I don't think it ever has been. WUSTL didn't even break T25 until about ten years ago. It was really moving up quite steadily up until what happened last year.

Awesome bookmarked tyvm.

WUSTL #44 in 1994 whoa

Also Vandy is really consistent, 15-18 since rankings inception.

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:59 pm

Crowing wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
Crowing wrote:

Awesome bookmarked tyvm.

WUSTL #44 in 1994 whoa

Also Vandy is really consistent, 15-18 since rankings inception.

I think the most telling thing is that almost ALL of the schools currently ranked 50-100 were TTT in 2000.

Homelandsagreatshow

Postby Homelandsagreatshow » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:11 pm

Kind of an off the rankings topic Q here, my favorite thread buddies:

How do you think WUSTL would serve returning to Pittsburgh after law school? I would prefer to get out of Pittsburgh, because I'm not even sure I want to return (which would pretty much eliminate Pitt), and although a T14 would be best for returning, I'm thinking more realistically.

Xs20

Postby Xs20 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:12 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
Crowing wrote:

Oops my bad. I wonder what happened the year it dropped from 20 something to 44?

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:13 pm

Homelandsagreatshow wrote:Kind of an off the rankings topic Q here, my favorite thread buddies:

How do you think WUSTL would serve returning to Pittsburgh after law school? I would prefer to get out of Pittsburgh, because I'm not even sure I want to return (which would pretty much eliminate Pitt), and although a T14 would be best for returning, I'm thinking more realistically.

I have a very similar predicament with Florida. I'm not sure if Pittsburg is more or less parochial than Florida, but they seem analogous to some extent. Have you spoken with any hiring attorneys at any firms there? See what they say about WUSTL vis-à-vis local schools in Pennsylvania or Ohio. Also, there's a poster from Pittsburg who ended up at UMN last year and seems to have done a good amount of research on this topic. I'll see if I can find him and get back to you.

ETA: memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=85895

PM him and see if he has any insight for you

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:06 am

Homelandsagreatshow wrote:Kind of an off the rankings topic Q here, my favorite thread buddies:

I'm not sure how credited this is since it's anecdotal, but it sounds like Pittsburgh and Philly are fairly parochial. I've heard that even Penn grads have a hard time getting Philly/Pitt jobs if they don't have ties. I don't think a WUSTL degree would actively disadvantage you, but I'm not sure it would actively help. That said, you have ties. So I think it's very possible for you to come back, but if you did, it wouldn't be because WUSTL is well-regarded in Pitt or something.

re: T14...Honestly I'm not sure if a T14 would give you an advantage returning to Pittsburgh. Schools like Temple, Nova, Pitt are pretty well-regarded in PA and I don't think Pittsburgh is a particularly pedigree-sensitive market. I think ties are much more important.

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:16 am

I kind of hope WUSTL's ranking doesn't improve so much...so a flood of high LSAT scorers who aren't on TLS suddenly become more interested...which will lower my value in the scholarship game :D

It'll most likely end up being 18 or 19. It doesn't have the Peer/lawyer/judge reputation score to compete with Vandy/Texas/UCLA

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:05 am

I actually hope that whatever school I end up going to drops in the rankings so assclowns who think single year fluctuations matter won't end up in my class.

Homelandsagreatshow

Postby Homelandsagreatshow » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:25 am

cusenation wrote:

I'm not sure how credited this is since it's anecdotal, but it sounds like Pittsburgh and Philly are fairly parochial. I've heard that even Penn grads have a hard time getting Philly/Pitt jobs if they don't have ties. I don't think a WUSTL degree would actively disadvantage you, but I'm not sure it would actively help. That said, you have ties. So I think it's very possible for you to come back, but if you did, it wouldn't be because WUSTL is well-regarded in Pitt or something.

re: T14...Honestly I'm not sure if a T14 would give you an advantage returning to Pittsburgh. Schools like Temple, Nova, Pitt are pretty well-regarded in PA and I don't think Pittsburgh is a particularly pedigree-sensitive market. I think ties are much more important.

I know...Many lawyers have told me the same thing. I love Pittsburgh, but I really feel the need to expand my boundaries a little bit. Big decisions coming.

danielr

Postby danielr » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:37 am

Did someone say "provel" before?

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2013/0 ... sed-cheese

Oh, yeah! That's cheese done the St. Louis way: an illegitimate mixture of other legitimate things that leaves one feeling ambiguous...or ambivalent.

Unoriginalist

Postby Unoriginalist » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:45 am

Crowing wrote:I actually hope that whatever school I end up going to drops in the rankings so assclowns who think single year fluctuations matter won't end up in my class.

Theoretically, this could still be the case. Since most/all of the c/o 2016's application cycle has been during the latest USNWR cycle, I'm sure the drop deterred some of the "I want to go to a school on the RISE" applicants from investing too much time looking at WashU.

That being said, I do not care if WashU falls to #46 if I get a decent job coming out. Nor do I care if it gets into T14 if I end up unemployed. I just want to be a lawyer, dammit!

Remind me, I can't quite remember, do new rankings come out after most deposit deadlines pass? Or just before?

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:48 am

Unoriginalist wrote:
Crowing wrote:I actually hope that whatever school I end up going to drops in the rankings so assclowns who think single year fluctuations matter won't end up in my class.

Theoretically, this could still be the case. Since most/all of the c/o 2016's application cycle has been during the latest USNWR cycle, I'm sure the drop deterred some of the "I want to go to a school on the RISE" applicants from investing too much time looking at WashU.

That being said, I do not care if WashU falls to #46 if I get a decent job coming out. Nor do I care if it gets into T14 if I end up unemployed. I just want to be a lawyer, dammit!

Remind me, I can't quite remember, do new rankings come out after most deposit deadlines pass? Or just before?

+1 to everything you said

Rankings usually come out in March. Almost all first deposit deadlines are in April.

Xs20

Postby Xs20 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:47 am

Last edited by Xs20 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RetakeFrenzy

Postby RetakeFrenzy » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:08 am

cusenation wrote:
Unoriginalist wrote:

+1 to everything you said

Rankings usually come out in March. Almost all first deposit deadlines are in April.

The new ones will come out on March 12th: http://www.usnews.com/education/blogs/c ... g-march-12

andy261

Postby andy261 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:52 am

Xs20 wrote:Image

This thread just needs to start a clothing line already..

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:12 am

We've added over 50 pages this week....I feel sorry for the WUSTL worker who has to read all this.

RetakeFrenzy

Postby RetakeFrenzy » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:34 am

wannabelawstudent wrote:We've added over 50 pages this week....I feel sorry for the WUSTL worker who has to read all this.

It really is never off the first page, huh? :mrgreen:

Jaqen

Postby Jaqen » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:39 am

wannabelawstudent wrote:We've added over 50 pages this week....I feel sorry for the WUSTL worker who has to read all this.

I like to think we're helping them save up for a Disney vacation for their kids by giving them overtime hours.

bettercallsaul91

Postby bettercallsaul91 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:02 am

The WUSTL flash drive was definitely the coolest acceptance swag ...

until this just appeared in my mailbox today.

--ImageRemoved--

dproduct

Postby dproduct » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:55 am

Want.

JadeWest

Postby JadeWest » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:49 am

let me introduce you to the free magnet in the American acceptance:
#swag
Last edited by JadeWest on Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:51 am

In the 2014 edition, we made a change in the law school rankings methodology used to compute placement rates for 2011 J.D. graduates employed at graduation and nine months after graduation. We also changed how we computed admissions selectivity in the full-time and part-time MBA rankings.

Very happy that they're coming out earlier this year. Less than a month left!

Here's hoping that WUSTL slightly drops or stays the same so the adcomm is more desperate to buy all our numbers.

dougfunny

Postby dougfunny » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:05 pm

cusenation wrote:
In the 2014 edition, we made a change in the law school rankings methodology used to compute placement rates for 2011 J.D. graduates employed at graduation and nine months after graduation. We also changed how we computed admissions selectivity in the full-time and part-time MBA rankings.

Very happy that they're coming out earlier this year. Less than a month left!

Here's hoping that WUSTL slightly drops or stays the same so the adcomm is more desperate to buy all our numbers.

+1

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:40 pm

I continue to dislike all national holidays where admissions officers are closed until all my decisions are in.

I assume no decision action will happen on Monday?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”