WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
dproduct

Re: Eternal, Never Off the First Page, WUSTL is the Best Thread.

Postby dproduct » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:40 pm

bettercallsaul91 wrote:In regards to WUSTL's reputation ...

Irrelevant part: My dad went to WUSTL's med school as a research fellow and about 80% of my parents' friends growing up were people in the medical field (mainly international students). Because of WUSTL's med school's reputation, when my parents or I mention I might go to WUSTL, we get a lot of oohs and ahhs and they insist I choose WUSTL, like why would I even consider anything else. When I've tried to explain that the law school's ranking is different, it doesn't seem to have an effect. o_o

Less-irrelevant part: As for non-medical general people in CA, I get a bigger 'ooh' for applying to UCLA and USC and waiting to hear back than the 'ooh' I get for getting into WUSTL. I think three or five times more people 'liked' my status update about getting into UC Hastings through my spam folder than my status update about getting into WUSTL. I went to middle school and high school in SF and college in SoCal(ish) ... so among general Californians, yeah the UC name does seem to go far (people who live in SF seem to think that Hastings is ranked -a lot- higher than it is) - but that doesn't matter for employment.

As for law people in CA, the 'ooh' for WUSTL trumps the ones for the other schools I've gotten into that are out-of-state (including UMN). When I went to the BC admitted students event with alumni practicing in the city and mentioned WUSTL as a top contender, I'm pretty sure two people gulped before abruptly giving up on selling me on BC (although BC's cool).

When it comes to choosing between UC and WUSTL, though, law students reinforce to me the importance of networking ...

That said, as long as scholly is competitive, I'm pretty sure WUSTL is miles and miles and miles ahead of UCH. Hastings' vibe seems to be exactly the opposite of what I want in law school. Just shadowed a friend last week, and yeah ... I don't think it's my scene ... but networking in SF is important if I'd want to come back here. Not sure if I need to come back here though ... SF's great, but wouldn't mind starting a family in the Midwest. Don't mind the COL either ... and the challenge of making a red state turn blue. :)

TYFT, good read.

bananasplit19

Postby bananasplit19 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:44 pm

Irrelevant part: My dad went to WUSTL's med school as a research fellow and about 80% of my parents' friends growing up were people in the medical field (mainly international students). Because of WUSTL's med school's reputation, when my parents or I mention I might go to WUSTL, we get a lot of oohs and ahhs and they insist I choose WUSTL, like why would I even consider anything else. When I've tried to explain that the law school's ranking is different, it doesn't seem to have an effect. o_o

Less-irrelevant part: As for non-medical general people in CA, I get a bigger 'ooh' for applying to UCLA and USC and waiting to hear back than the 'ooh' I get for getting into WUSTL. I think three or five times more people 'liked' my status update about getting into UC Hastings through my spam folder than my status update about getting into WUSTL. I went to middle school and high school in SF and college in SoCal(ish) ... so among general Californians, yeah the UC name does seem to go far (people who live in SF seem to think that Hastings is ranked -a lot- higher than it is) - but that doesn't matter for employment.

As for law people in CA, the 'ooh' for WUSTL trumps the ones for the other schools I've gotten into that are out-of-state (including UMN). When I went to the BC admitted students event with alumni practicing in the city and mentioned WUSTL as a top contender, I'm pretty sure two people gulped before abruptly giving up on selling me on BC (although BC's cool).

When it comes to choosing between UC and WUSTL, though, law students reinforce to me the importance of networking ...

That said, as long as scholly is competitive, I'm pretty sure WUSTL is miles and miles and miles ahead of UCH. Hastings' vibe seems to be exactly the opposite of what I want in law school. Just shadowed a friend last week, and yeah ... I don't think it's my scene ... but networking in SF is important if I'd want to come back here. Not sure if I need to come back here though ... SF's great, but wouldn't mind starting a family in the Midwest. Don't mind the COL either ... and the challenge of making a red state turn blue. :)

Fellow NorCal resident, giving everything here a +1.

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:49 pm

tigyrgrl wrote:
Just wanted to pop in and say I'm pulling for ya'll. (Especially you wannabe)

Thanks! And thank you for not applying this cycle.

JesusChrist

Postby JesusChrist » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:50 pm

bettercallsaul91 wrote:When I've tried to explain that the law school's ranking is different, it doesn't seem to have an effect. o_o

That's where we differ. I'm perfectly content to let my work people think whatever awesome thoughts they have about WUSTL.

And about Hastings, you're right about how NorCal people perceive Hastings. I also get people who are absolutely convinced that Hastings is leaps and bounds better than Davis too, maybe it's cuz it's an SF thing.

bettercallsaul91 wrote: Not sure if I need to come back here though ... SF's great, but wouldn't mind starting a family in the Midwest. Don't mind the COL either ... and the challenge of making a red state turn blue. :)

I'm also into some weird shit.

rabbitrun

Postby rabbitrun » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:50 pm

bananasplit19 wrote:

Fellow NorCal resident, giving everything here a +1.

I think this is pretty relevant for WUSTL in general.
Doctors = :shock:
People who know the undergrad = :shock:
But whenever you bring up a localish school, people who know nothing about LS get all excited and try to convince you to go to some TTT over WUSTL

andy261

Postby andy261 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:12 pm

Roadtripping to Santa Barbara right now. Can I sign up for alerts on this thread?

JadeWest

Postby JadeWest » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:13 pm

andy261 wrote:Roadtripping to Santa Barbara right now. Can I sign up for alerts on this thread?

we need an app for that

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:13 pm

JadeWest wrote:
andy261 wrote:Roadtripping to Santa Barbara right now. Can I sign up for alerts on this thread?

we need an app for that

Click "Subscribe" on the top left. You'll get an email every time there's a new post. I don't recommend this.

Rory19

Postby Rory19 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:17 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
JadeWest wrote:

we need an app for that

Click "Subscribe" on the top left. You'll get an email every time there's a new post. I don't recommend this.

Yes, this thread made me decide to unsubscribe from all the app threads I had been subscribed to--hence its title including the word "Eternal".

dproduct

Postby dproduct » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:18 pm

Rory19 wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
JadeWest wrote:

we need an app for that

Yes, this thread made me decide to unsubscribe from all the app threads I had been subscribed to--hence its title including the word "Eternal".

:lol: :lol:

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:19 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
JadeWest wrote:

we need an app for that

Yup. 99% of all my email messages are from TLS. 96% are from this thread.

I wish I could say the 1% are from LS I applied for. But they are mostly groupon like offers and another email invitation from UofPacific.

howardgirl

Postby howardgirl » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:50 pm

I wonder how far up in the rankings WUSTL will climb in a few weeks. I'm thinking a tie w/ Vandy at 16.

shntn

Postby shntn » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:52 pm

howardgirl wrote:I wonder how far up in the rankings WUSTL will climb in a few weeks. I'm thinking a tie w/ Vandy at 16.

Aggressive.

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:52 pm

shntn wrote:
howardgirl wrote:I wonder how far up in the rankings WUSTL will climb in a few weeks. I'm thinking a tie w/ Vandy at 16.

Aggressive.

They definitely deserve it.

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:53 pm

Tie with GW for 20 or USC at 18 or just 19. Don't think WUSTL can out rank UCLA, Vandy and texas

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:53 pm

I can't see WUSTL overtaking or tying UCLA/Vandy/UT/USC but climbing back into the T20 seems possible.

bananasplit19

Postby bananasplit19 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:55 pm

Crowing wrote:

I can't see WUSTL overtaking or tying UCLA/Vandy/UT/USC but climbing back into the T20 seems possible.

I think the 19-20 range is the most a WUSTL supporter can reasonably hope for this year.

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:57 pm

bananasplit19 wrote:
Crowing wrote:

I think the 19-20 range is the most a WUSTL supporter can reasonably hope for this year.

Unless they BUY ALL TEH CANDIDATES.

They should be shooting at a 170 median regardless of cost

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:59 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
bananasplit19 wrote:
Crowing wrote:

Unless they BUY ALL TEH CANDIDATES.

They should be shooting at a 170 median regardless of cost

Lol a 170 median would put it in the T14.. Crazy

Dmini7

Postby Dmini7 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:59 pm

Crowing wrote:

+1

Do you think there will be any change in the ordering between UCLA/UT/Vandy/USC?

As much as I hate USC undergrad, for some reason I really like the idea of law school there( and for some reason I really despise the idea of law school at UCLA)

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:00 pm

cusenation wrote:Lol a 170 median would put it in the T14.. Crazy

Full rides for everyone, class size of 105, totally doable.

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:01 pm

Dmini7 wrote:
Crowing wrote:

+1

Do you think there will be any change in the ordering between UCLA/UT/Vandy/USC?

As much as I hate USC undergrad, for some reason I really like the idea of law school there( and for some reason I really despise the idea of law school at UCLA)

Anything could happen between UCLA, Texas and Vandy. But USC will probably stay at the bottom of that pack

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:01 pm

Dmini7 wrote:
Crowing wrote:

+1

Dunno. I really haven't looked into the details behind the USNWR methodology. Idk why Vandy is consistently behind UCLA for example when Vandy has stronger medians (even stronger than Cornell's) and better outcomes too. Maybe their reputation scores aren't as good?

In any case the methodology is being overhauled this year to focus a lot more on outcomes iirc so we might see some major shifts (could GULC fall out of the T14?)

shntn

Postby shntn » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:02 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
cusenation wrote:Lol a 170 median would put it in the T14.. Crazy

Full rides for everyone, class size of 105, totally doable.

I heard full ride. Ran here.

shntn

Postby shntn » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:02 pm

GeorgeTTTown should fall from the T14.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”