WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
shntn

Re: Eternal, Never Off the First Page, WUSTL is the Best Thread.

Postby shntn » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:13 pm

JesusChrist wrote:Californians' perception of WUSTL intrigues me.

Me too, now that you've mentioned it.

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:15 pm

How funny would that have been if I accidentally applied to the wrong Washington and didn't know this whole time?

JesusChrist

Postby JesusChrist » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:16 pm

shntn wrote:
JesusChrist wrote:Californians' perception of WUSTL intrigues me.

Me too, now that you've mentioned it.

Are you also a CA native thinking about potentially move back after law school?

shntn

Postby shntn » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:17 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote:How funny would that have been if I accidentally applied to the wrong Washington and didn't know this whole time?

Funny for you or funny for other people?

And JC, nope, I just like keeping my options open. A wide geographic reach is always a plus in my book.
Last edited by shntn on Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JesusChrist

Postby JesusChrist » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:17 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote:How funny would that have been if I accidentally applied to the wrong Washington and didn't know this whole time?

At the GWU admissions office there's a wannabe agonizing over why they haven't heard back from you yet.

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:19 pm

cusenation wrote:Schollies will be emailed. All admitted candidates get something in snail mail

I truly don't understand why ANYTHING that has to do with LS admissions is coming via snail mail. Maybe I'v lived in the PNW for too long but it just seems like a huge waste of time, money and resources. I don't get the value

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:20 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
cusenation wrote:Schollies will be emailed. All admitted candidates get something in snail mail

I truly don't understand why ANYTHING is coming via snail mail. Maybe I'v lived in the PNW for too long but it just seems like a huge waste of time, money and resources. I don't get the value

It's not like they're the LAND OF THE FUTURE. It's a way to gin up excitement and a lot of times students use the wrong email address or, in the case of GWU, acceptances and scholarship letters get filtered out as spam.

shntn

Postby shntn » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:20 pm

JayJones78 wrote:

I truly don't understand why ANYTHING that has to do with LS admissions is coming via snail mail. Maybe I'v lived in the PNW for too long but it just seems like a huge waste of time, money and resources. I don't get the value

Still a waste in the Mid-Atlantic.

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:22 pm

(I kinda like getting admission packets, it makes me feel special)

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:23 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote:(I kinda like getting admission packets, it makes me feel special)

+1

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:24 pm

Opening them is like opening presents. So funnn.

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:25 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote:(I kinda like getting admission packets, it makes me feel special)

I'll give you some of that. Perhaps it's okay to send those once people are admitted. But stupid letters of rejections or even WL? Why

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:25 pm

JayJones78 wrote:

I'll give you some of that. Perhaps it's okay to send those once people are admitted. But stupid letters of rejections or even WL? Why

Yeah, those are annoying. Especially when they inform you via status checker, email, and then a letter. Look, I get it, you think I'm dumb.

JadeWest

Postby JadeWest » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:28 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:

Yeah, those are annoying. Especially when they inform you via status checker, email, and then a letter. Look, I get it, you think I'm dumb.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

bananasplit19

Postby bananasplit19 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:30 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:

I got a WL e-mail from Hastings three weeks ago, and they've been re-sending it to me every eight days since then.

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:31 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:

It's sometimes worse. Look at USC. they don't tell you via checker but email admitted students within 30 min and leave all the others to look for the mailbox. Why not just publish it on the checker page? Makes no sense.
Same thing with WashU. Just let us know.

rabbitrun

Postby rabbitrun » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:33 pm

bananasplit19 wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:

I got a WL e-mail from Hastings three weeks ago, and they've been re-sending it to me every eight days since then.

Wow. Thats super bitchy

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:33 pm

Didn't some applications have a "how would you like to be contacted?" question?

dproduct

Postby dproduct » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:34 pm

I'm really hungover. What's the tl;dr on the last 10 pages? Clicking back is hard.

shntn

Postby shntn » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:35 pm

dproduct wrote:I'm really hungover. What's the tl;dr on the last 10 pages? Clicking back is hard.

Nothing of note applications-wise.

ETA: gotta love that time zone difference. Here is pushing 7 here and I'm drinking/about to go to dinner, and you're talking hangover.
Last edited by shntn on Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JXander

Postby JXander » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:36 pm

Um. I kinda stopped posting here like 20 pages ago, but...

Got a snazzy flash drive in the mail from the WUSTLlers.

Anyway. Carry on.

bettercallsaul91

Postby bettercallsaul91 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:37 pm

In regards to WUSTL's reputation ...

Irrelevant part: My dad went to WUSTL's med school as a research fellow and about 80% of my parents' friends growing up were people in the medical field (mainly international students). Because of WUSTL's med school's reputation, when my parents or I mention I might go to WUSTL, we get a lot of oohs and ahhs and they insist I choose WUSTL, like why would I even consider anything else. When I've tried to explain that the law school's ranking is different, it doesn't seem to have an effect. o_o

Less-irrelevant part: As for non-medical general people in CA, I get a bigger 'ooh' for applying to UCLA and USC and waiting to hear back than the 'ooh' I get for getting into WUSTL. I think three or five times more people 'liked' my status update about getting into UC Hastings through my spam folder than my status update about getting into WUSTL. I went to middle school and high school in SF and college in SoCal(ish) ... so among general Californians, yeah the UC name does seem to go far (people who live in SF seem to think that Hastings is ranked -a lot- higher than it is) - but that doesn't matter for employment.

As for law people in CA, the 'ooh' for WUSTL trumps the ones for the other schools I've gotten into that are out-of-state (including UMN). When I went to the BC admitted students event with alumni practicing in the city and mentioned WUSTL as a top contender, I'm pretty sure two people gulped before abruptly giving up on selling me on BC (although BC's cool).

When it comes to choosing between UC and WUSTL, though, law students reinforce to me the importance of networking ...

That said, as long as scholly is competitive, I'm pretty sure WUSTL is miles and miles and miles ahead of UCH. Hastings' vibe seems to be exactly the opposite of what I want in law school. Just shadowed a friend last week, and yeah ... I don't think it's my scene ... but networking in SF is important if I'd want to come back here. Not sure if I need to come back here though ... SF's great, but wouldn't mind starting a family in the Midwest. Don't mind the COL either ... and the challenge of making a red state turn blue. :)

dproduct

Postby dproduct » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:39 pm

JXander wrote:Um. I kinda stopped posting here like 20 pages ago, but...

Anyway. Carry on.

It's a nice flash drive huh!?

shntn

Postby shntn » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:39 pm

dproduct wrote:
JXander wrote:Um. I kinda stopped posting here like 20 pages ago, but...

Anyway. Carry on.

It's a nice flash drive huh!?

I think it's the same as Michigan's. Pretty spiffy.

tigyrgrl

Postby tigyrgrl » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:40 pm

Not in this cycle but WUSTL is at the top of the apply list upcoming.

Just wanted to pop in and say I'm pulling for ya'll. (Especially you wannabe!)

:)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”