WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
alwayssunnyinfl

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:31 pm

anteater1 wrote:you sure it's $200 universally? doesn't vary by geographic region?... flight from LAX going to be a lot more than a flight from VA i expect.

No, at least last year it was just a flat $200 if you traveled more than 100 miles and were offered the waiver in advance.

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:32 pm

cusenation wrote:
99.9luft wrote:tag (applying in early Jan, hope it's not too late)

It'll depend on what your December LSAT is (I'm assuming you're waiting for a December score). But in general I don't think you'll be hurt too much as long as your numbers are around median

thanks! yeah you've assumed correctly - i am a dec. retaker. GPA is around a median. Hope we can say the same about the LSAT. :)

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:37 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
anteater1 wrote:you sure it's $200 universally? doesn't vary by geographic region?... flight from LAX going to be a lot more than a flight from VA i expect.

No, at least last year it was just a flat $200 if you traveled more than 100 miles and were offered the waiver in advance.

This is what I was told, but who knows, could be different this cycle

dproduct

Postby dproduct » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:32 pm

Welcome, welcome!

Paraflam

Postby Paraflam » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:47 pm

If anyone was wondering: The link to register for ASD will be up on the admitted students site within the next few days. Just called the admissions office.

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:48 pm

Paraflam wrote:If anyone was wondering: The link to register for ASD will be up on the admitted students site within the next few days. Just called the admissions office.

:lol:

Thought of doing this earlier, but then decided it would be too pushy.

TheThriller

Postby TheThriller » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:51 pm

If anyone lives between Indiana and WUSTL, i'll probably be driving up and can pick up anyone along the way

Paraflam

Postby Paraflam » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:51 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote: :lol:

Thought of doing this earlier, but then decided it would be too pushy.

Lol well I assumed that you were supposed to register over the phone, because right now the site just says to call them for more info. She did say I was the first one to ask about registering, though. :oops:

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:00 pm

Paraflam wrote:If anyone was wondering: The link to register for ASD will be up on the admitted students site within the next few days. Just called the admissions office.

Damn I can't even access ASBB cuz my password isn't working for some reason. Didn't go to ASD last year, but might consider it this year. Are most people planning for the January date?

ks2499

Postby ks2499 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:05 pm

cusenation wrote:

Damn I can't even access ASBB cuz my password isn't working for some reason. Didn't go to ASD last year, but might consider it this year. Are most people planning for the January date?

I'm waiting until March. I want to know if scholarship money makes it a viable option before I travel all the way out there.

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:09 pm

ks2499 wrote:
cusenation wrote:

I'm waiting until March. I want to know if scholarship money makes it a viable option before I travel all the way out there.

I think people with 167+ generally get fairly generous merit awards (some variance depending on GPA)

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:11 pm

I'm doing January because I want my friends and family to stop asking me "But do you KNOW how cold it is up there?!"

dproduct

Postby dproduct » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:12 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:I'm doing January because I want my friends and family to stop asking me "But do you KNOW how cold it is up there?!"

My parents think I'm crazy for applying anywhere north of LA or east of Nevada. I feel your pain.

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:15 pm

dproduct wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:I'm doing January because I want my friends and family to stop asking me "But do you KNOW how cold it is up there?!"

My parents think I'm crazy for applying anywhere north of LA or east of Nevada. I feel your pain.

Grew up in boston, went to undergrad in Syracuse..first choice schools are WUSTL and NU. I'm never escaping the cold. I'll probably attend the January day as well, hopefully I'll hear back from NU before then

teiswei

Postby teiswei » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:15 pm

dproduct wrote:

I'll side with your parents except the north of LA part... You will return to the west coast if you leave... Or at least want to.

dietcoke0

Postby dietcoke0 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:42 pm

I'll warn people about the stipend. It's up to $200 for travel (gas, rental car, flight, train) and hotel stay (hotels are surprisingly expensive around there, I got a meh comfort Inn in the CWE for $100, others went to the Moonrise for a little more. If you sure you want to visit that weekend, start pricelining that crap sooner than later.

However, not everyone gets it. I was technically not supposed to get one. The only reason I knew about it was because of TLS, and I had a question about it, and they gave me some details about it.

I picked up the stipend form at ASW, and turned it in, and then they called me up, saying I wasn't going to get it (it was only for those who were offered a stipend.)

I said I was under the impression that I was to get a stipend, and they asked why, and I sent them the emails they sent me stating how to send in receipts, and then they just went ahead and okayed it.

TL;DR $200 universal, but not everyone gets it. They need to tell you that you get it, but you may be able to ask for one.

dietcoke0

Postby dietcoke0 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:43 pm

cusenation wrote:
dproduct wrote:

Grew up in boston, went to undergrad in Syracuse..first choice schools are WUSTL and NU. I'm never escaping the cold. I'll probably attend the January day as well, hopefully I'll hear back from NU before then

Guy in my class that went to Cuse and is from Boston

bananasplit19

Postby bananasplit19 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:50 pm

dietcoke0 wrote:Guy in my class that went to Cuse and is from Boston

Twist: guy is actually cusenation, using Harry Potter time-turner. Also, simultaneously a 1L at NU.

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:51 pm

bananasplit19 wrote:
dietcoke0 wrote:Guy in my class that went to Cuse and is from Boston

Twist: guy is actually cusenation, using Harry Potter time-turner. Also, simultaneously a 1L at NU.

I'm actually trying to get a JD from the entire T-20. MOAR DEBT

andy261

Postby andy261 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:02 pm

Super splitter admitted last week (168 and lower GPA than any posted on LSN so far). Wash U is one of my top choices at this point so figured I'd check in!

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:05 pm

andy261 wrote:Super splitter admitted last week (168 and lower GPA than any posted on LSN so far). Wash U is one of my top choices at this point so figured I'd check in!

Congrats!

How I felt as a super splitter being admitted last year:

andy261

Postby andy261 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:19 pm

cusenation wrote:
andy261 wrote:Super splitter admitted last week (168 and lower GPA than any posted on LSN so far). Wash U is one of my top choices at this point so figured I'd check in!

Congrats!

How I felt as a super splitter being admitted last year:

Thanks! Being a super splitter has definitely taken years off of my life haha.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:01 pm

In today via snail mail. No interview, no status change, no indication that I was accepted at all before this so this was a very pleasant surprise!

Randomnumbers

Postby Randomnumbers » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:22 am

Last year, with the drop of the applicant pool, it was actually better for many people to apply later in the cycle then earlier. Once again, the applicant pool is dropping, but hopefully the admissions people at WUSTL are more cognizant of this fact this year. If you've got the numbers, you've got the numbers whether you apply in November, January, or March. Between the drop in the applicant pool, the short drop in the rankings for honestly reporting employment numbers (unlike other schools) that hurt us in comparison to Minnesota and other peer schools, WUSTL was a bit hard up in Feb-June last year (as displayed in the 2 point lsat drop). They've got the numbers and assuredly are more aware this year (see people in this thread with 167's getting in like 168's in past years) but it's entirely possible that, once again, applying late once the admissions people are scared of the new medians will be a good thing,

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:30 am

Randomnumbers wrote:

Last year, with the drop of the applicant pool, it was actually better for many people to apply later in the cycle then earlier. Once again, the applicant pool is dropping, but hopefully the admissions people at WUSTL are more cognizant of this fact this year. If you've got the numbers, you've got the numbers whether you apply in November, January, or March. Between the drop in the applicant pool, the short drop in the rankings for honestly reporting employment numbers (unlike other schools) that hurt us in comparison to Minnesota and other peer schools, WUSTL was a bit hard up in Feb-June last year (as displayed in the 2 point lsat drop). They've got the numbers and assuredly are more aware this year (see people in this thread with 167's getting in like 168's in past years) but it's entirely possible that, once again, applying late once the admissions people are scared of the new medians will be a good thing,

thank you for sharing this, RN. Having last year's perspective is valuable in judging this cycle, i feel. I don't feel as nervous about this cycle - thanks!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”