WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
JadeWest

Re: Eternal, Never Off the First Page, WUSTL is the Best Thread.

Postby JadeWest » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:54 pm

shntn wrote:LOL at me. I totalled up my grants I got for undergrad for Need Access. It was just shy of $200k.

*high five*

shntn

Postby shntn » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:55 pm

JadeWest wrote:
shntn wrote:LOL at me. I totalled up my grants I got for undergrad for Need Access. It was just shy of $200k.

*high five*

As a poor, if you can get into a good school, it won't cost much at all. Also staying in-state would have been abject misery for me.

JadeWest

Postby JadeWest » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:00 pm

shntn wrote:
JadeWest wrote:

*high five*

As a poor, if you can get into a good school, it won't cost much at all. Also staying in-state would have been abject misery for me.

+1

danitt

Postby danitt » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:02 pm

hhockberger wrote:faculty kid = tuition was about 4k what what

Employee kid = free. I was pissed though because I got full tuition scholarships to some really great schools and my mum was still like "Lol. No."

andy261

Postby andy261 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:05 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
cusenation wrote:
wannabelawstudent wrote:That's around what we pay over here.

What....

http://syr.edu/admissions/undergraduate/applytosu/financialinfo/expenses.html

fml

Yeah, that's why I get really up-in-arms when the whole "does UG prestige matter" thing comes around. Sure, some schools have great reputations, but really? Why pay $35-50k/year for undergrad when a lot of states offer UG degrees at literally a tenth of the cost.

Totally depends what your major is and plans for after graduation. For example, even though I paid an arm and a leg to go to my UG, many desirable firms in the area only hire from the two top local UGs. Not saying it hasn't sucked to pay off the debt, but paying for prestige/job prospects can be worth it in some circumstances, in particular for people who don't plan on getting an advanced degree. In retrospect though, if I had known I was going to apply to law school for sure, I probably would've taken the half ride option from a lesser ranked school.

Presidentjlh

Postby Presidentjlh » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:13 pm

Still waiting on scholarship info. If I do get a sizable scholarship, that might make the decision for me. WUSTL seems to have the best balance of the school's I've applied to and have been accepted to: Location, prestige, opportunity, etc.

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:15 pm

I kinda regret getting as much student loans as I did for my UG, but at the time I thought "once i get my degree I'll get a decent paying job"

I obviously haven't learned my lesson.

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:18 pm

Come on WUSTL, make this a Friday I'll never forget!

andy261

Postby andy261 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:19 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote:I kinda regret getting as much student loans as I did for my UG, but at the time I thought "once i get my degree I'll get a decent paying job"

Paying off my UG student loans has made me infinitely more debt averse for law school.. Can't even imagine having to deal with a six figure debt load.

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:25 pm

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-02-14/the-25-companies-with-the-highest-paying-internships#r=hp-ls

Fuckkkkkk i should have pursued finance or something. These interns make more than a ton of attorneys

shntn

Postby shntn » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:25 pm

andy261 wrote:
wannabelawstudent wrote:I kinda regret getting as much student loans as I did for my UG, but at the time I thought "once i get my degree I'll get a decent paying job"

Paying off my UG student loans has made me infinitely more debt averse for law school.. Can't even imagine having to deal with a six figure debt load.

Yep. Like, I know it'll come down to a number of factors, but debt minimization is absolutely my top priority. With all the other things I have going for me, I think I'll be just fine wherever I wind up. So I may as well do so as cheaply as possible.

andy261

Postby andy261 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:27 pm

shntn wrote:
andy261 wrote:

Yep. Like, I know it'll come down to a number of factors, but debt minimization is absolutely my top priority. With all the other things I have going for me, I think I'll be just fine wherever I wind up. So I may as well do so as cheaply as possible.

My sentiment exactly.

shntn

Postby shntn » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:28 pm

andy261 wrote:My sentiment exactly.

*brofist*

but not too hard or we might break a nail.

andy261

Postby andy261 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:31 pm

cusenation wrote:http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-02-14/the-25-companies-with-the-highest-paying-internships#r=hp-ls

Fuckkkkkk i should have pursued finance or something. These interns make more than a ton of attorneys

Those internships are all crazy competitive to get even if you majored in that field. Finance, consulting, and tech are definitely the best paying areas in UG though.

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:33 pm

andy261 wrote:
cusenation wrote:http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-02-14/the-25-companies-with-the-highest-paying-internships#r=hp-ls

Those internships are all crazy competitive to get even if you majored in that field. Finance, consulting, and tech are definitely the best paying areas in UG though.

I know a guy in engineering that made 15k a summer during his undergrad.

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:39 pm

Had a sandwich w/ provel today. I LOVE PROVEL. And I didn't know it was a STL only thing until I went to college.

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:40 pm

Crowing wrote:Had a sandwich w/ provel today. I LOVE PROVEL. And I didn't know it was a STL only thing until I went to college.

Wuts provel?

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:40 pm

Crowing wrote:Had a sandwich w/ provel today. I LOVE PROVEL. And I didn't know it was a STL only thing until I went to college.

Had to Google. Sounds amazing.

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:45 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote:

Wuts provel?

It's a blended cheese with provolone, swiss, and cheddar (mostly provolone I think which I love on its own). Most of the time it's used for pizza (STL-style thin crust) but sometimes they use it for other stuff like sandwiches too. To me the taste is pretty much associated with pizza to the point that I can eat it on its own and my brain starts yelling "pizza!!" I guess it's probably similar to the association most people have with mozzarella.

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:49 pm

Really hoped scholly would be out today...or at least some decisions

Unoriginalist

Postby Unoriginalist » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:51 pm

ITT I realize how much private UG tuitions are TTT

Also, when I saw this thread jumped up several pages, I was convinced scholarships came out. Alas!

shntn

Postby shntn » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:52 pm

Unoriginalist wrote:ITT I realize how much private UG tuitions are TTT

Also, when I saw this thread jumped up several pages, I was convinced scholarships came out. Alas!

This thread always jumps several pages. When you see the jump hit double digits, either scholarships came out or wannabe got his acceptance.

danitt

Postby danitt » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:54 pm

shntn wrote:

This thread always jumps several pages. When you see the jump hit double digits, either scholarships came out or wannabedanitt got his her acceptance.

FTFM.

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:57 pm

danitt wrote:
shntn wrote:

This thread always jumps several pages. When you see the jump hit double digits, either scholarships came out or wannabedanitt got his her acceptance.

FTFM.

I LOVE PHOENIX WRIGHT.

Edgeworth: "I saw the report of her testimony, but who knew that under that helmet, it was the wicked witch of the witness stand!?"

I remember when I was doing a civil engineering internship during HS and some of the civil engineering grad students were like "I can't wait to go home and play SimCity" and I loled so hard at them. Then I discovered Phoenix Wright, and learned irony (Alanis Morisette style irony, not true irony).

JesusChrist

Postby JesusChrist » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:03 pm

Boy, that Denton Summer Program looks pretty good. I'm wondering if I can just send an email out with last year's application form lol

I'd be pretty torn between continuing working right up until move-in day and doing that program. When do you think applications will be sent out this year?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”