WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
shntn

Platinum

Re: Eternal, Never Off the First Page, WUSTL is the Best Thread.

Post by shntn » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:48 am

As I figured. Well my new plan is to turn a profit on this whole going to law school thing. Outside schollies, here I come!
Last edited by shntn on Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

dougfunny

New

Post by dougfunny » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:48 am

Thanks for the explanations everyone.

JadeWest

Bronze

Post by JadeWest » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:49 am

shntn wrote:Well my new plan is to turn a profit on this whole going to law school thing.
TITCR

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:50 am

shntn wrote:As I figured. Well my new plan is to turn a profit on this whole going to law school thing. Outside schollies, here I come!
+1

MOAR PERSONAL STATEMENTS!

dykstaab

New

Post by dykstaab » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:51 am

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:I can say with almost 100% certainty that, based on their financial aid page that it will not be subtracted from merit aid.
WUSTL wrote: The School of Law has compiled a list of scholarships and loans available to law school students. These sources are possible alternatives to the funding available through Washington University. Since none of these financial aid sources are associated with Washington University, we cannot guarantee the existence or availability of the scholarships and loans included in this list. For more information on the scholarships and loans listed, please contact the applicable organizations. We also encourage you to do some research on your own by contacting associations in your city or state, employers or organizations with which you or your family may have ties. Any outside aid you receive, no matter the amount, will help reduce the amount of loans you might otherwise need to borrow.
Awesome...time to start filling out more applications! Thanks for finding this!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:14 am

Today's the deadline for schools to report employment data to NALP for Class of 2012..fingers crossed for WUSTL

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:15 am

cusenation wrote:Today's the deadline for schools to report employment data to NALP for Class of 2012..fingers crossed for WUSTL
:shock:

timeandspace11

Silver

Post by timeandspace11 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:16 am

cusenation wrote:Today's the deadline for schools to report employment data to NALP for Class of 2012..fingers crossed for WUSTL

Same. DO you know when the data will be posted

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:19 am

timeandspace11 wrote:

Noo idea. Individual schools can post their own data at their discretion, maybe WUSTL will post it? WUSTL currently posts the ABA-formatted data on their site. I know the NALP data is a little different, so I'm not sure. (Apparently the NALP requests more detailed information)

It will take some time for the NALP to sift through all of the reports...and LST will probably need a week or two to update info as well. I'm guessing we'll have to wait until the beginning of March to see the data published publicly. But the NLJ250 (350?) stats should be released right at the end of February or first week of March, unless they deviate from last year's timeframe

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bananasplit19

Silver

Post by bananasplit19 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:44 pm

cusenation wrote:
timeandspace11 wrote:

Noo idea. Individual schools can post their own data at their discretion, maybe WUSTL will post it? WUSTL currently posts the ABA-formatted data on their site. I know the NALP data is a little different, so I'm not sure. (Apparently the NALP requests more detailed information)

It will take some time for the NALP to sift through all of the reports...and LST will probably need a week or two to update info as well. I'm guessing we'll have to wait until the beginning of March to see the data published publicly. But the NLJ250 (350?) stats should be released right at the end of February or first week of March, unless they deviate from last year's timeframe
Thoughts on the expansion to 350 affecting WUSTL's numbers and ultimate ranking? I'm seeing a decent amount of Chicago firms in the 251-350 range, as well as a few other Midwest cities (Cleveland, mostly).

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:46 pm

bananasplit19 wrote: Thoughts on the expansion to 350 affecting WUSTL's numbers and ultimate ranking? I'm seeing a decent amount of Chicago firms in the 251-350 range, as well as a few other Midwest cities (Cleveland, mostly).
As far as USNWR rankings go, they just look at employment, not the kind of employment and whether or not it's what the NLJ deems is "BigLaw." They are revising the methodology to get more granular with short-term vs. long-term, full-time vs. part-time, etc., but I don't see anywhere that it mentions the size of the firm.

And I don't think it'll affect the LST numbers much since LST defines any firm with 101+ lawyers as a "large firm," regardless of what the NLJ says.

Basically the expansion from 250 to 350 means precisely nothing at all, except it might make lawyers at 251-350 feel a bit better. And I guess schools will be able to tout higher %s of their grads in biglaw, for applicants who don't care to do the research themselves.

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:55 pm

shntn wrote:
bananasplit19 wrote: Thoughts on the expansion to 350 affecting WUSTL's numbers and ultimate ranking? I'm seeing a decent amount of Chicago firms in the 251-350 range, as well as a few other Midwest cities (Cleveland, mostly).
As far as USNWR rankings go, they just look at employment, not the kind of employment and whether or not it's what the NLJ deems is "BigLaw." They are revising the methodology to get more granular with short-term vs. long-term, full-time vs. part-time, etc. but I don't see anywhere that it mentions the size of the firm.

And I don't think it'll affect the LST numbers much since LST defines any firm with 101+ lawyers as a "large firm," regardless of what the NLJ says.

Basically the expansion from 250 to 350 means precisely nothing at all, except it might make lawyers at 251-350 feel a bit better. And I guess schools will be able to tout higher %s of their grads in biglaw, for applicants who don't care to do the research themselves.
Until they completely fix the bolded I think their ranking will become less and less relevant for those who want to be well informed about what is going to happen to them after graduation day. I find the fact that it doesn't reflect that by now pretty baffling. Why the hell are non "real jobs" even counted for ranking purposes? It just makes no sense.

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:57 pm

The legal industry got rocky, schools saw a loophole, and they used it with impunity.

Not WUSTL, though. They're really transparent about everything. 8)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:59 pm

shntn wrote:The legal industry got rocky, schools saw a loophole, and they used it with impunity.

Not WUSTL, though. They're really transparent about everything. 8)
Oh I totally get why the schools did it. They are training future lawyers after all

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:21 pm

I'm not sure it will affect the rankings for all the reasons listed by the above posters. But the addition of 100 firms should theoretically give us a better picture of WUSTL's firm placement. Personally I'm going to be very concerned if WUSTL's placement isn't 15% or higher. It's at 13% now for the 2011 report. If adding another 100 firms to the list doesn't add at least 2-4% then I think it should be a cause for some concern..

wannabelawstudent

Gold

Post by wannabelawstudent » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:22 pm

Just about to pass michigan in pages....good work boys.

Princess Consuela

Bronze

Post by Princess Consuela » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:24 pm

This was getting too far down the page, so I thought I'd move it back to the top where it belongs.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Post by WokeUpInACar » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:26 pm

I think it's pretty likely that we'll see *some* decisions this afternoon... We had a bunch last Friday!

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:28 pm

WokeUpInACar wrote:I think it's pretty likely that we'll see *some* decisions this afternoon... We had a bunch last Friday!
This hypothesis pleases me.

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:28 pm

Linking to a thread re: scholarship negotiations since I'm sure most of us will be negotiation with WUSTL and other schools in the coming weeks/months.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... &start=850

Good luck to those still waiting, hopefully there will be some decisions today

Xs20

Silver

Post by Xs20 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:28 pm

shntn wrote:
WokeUpInACar wrote:I think it's pretty likely that we'll see *some* decisions this afternoon... We had a bunch last Friday!
Would you say you are... lovin' it?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:29 pm

Xs20 wrote:
shntn wrote:

JadeWest

Bronze

Post by JadeWest » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:29 pm

Xs20 wrote:
shntn wrote:
:lol:

wannabelawstudent

Gold

Post by wannabelawstudent » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:31 pm

No thanks, I've gotten enough decisions today.

andy261

Bronze

Post by andy261 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:39 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote:
No thanks, I've gotten enough decisions today.
:shock:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”