WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
icanbeohyes

Re: Eternal, Never Off the First Page, WUSTL is the Best Thread.

Postby icanbeohyes » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:41 pm

Big Dog wrote:
Why pay so much more for a 10% better chance at employment?

Not-so-small nit, but it's more than a 60% "better chance of employment". (A ten point increase is a huge % when one is talking such low numbers.)

WashU = 13.33%
BC = 21.75%

The math: (21.75/13.33-1) = 63%

I think I'm lost here.
I'm pretty sure on LST that BC's large firm score is 26% and WUSTL's is 17.7. Using that same math (26/17.7-1)= ~47% better opportunity.
Also, I agree that for big law or bust, both are bad options however because of BC/BU's higher COL and assuming less scholly $$, Boston may be even a worst option cause it would work out to be more expensive.

Another thing here is that BC places 10.5% of its students in school-funded positions which puts its actually job placement a little closer to WUSTL's at 57.9%. From what I've seen/heard school-funded positions are not particularly lucrative. So, this is something you may want to consider.

For all intensive purposes, intents and purposes they do seem like basically peers in terms of placement and opportunities. Just a matter of deciding where you want to live and how much debt you'd like to take on.

Edited
Last edited by icanbeohyes on Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:48 pm

icanbeohyes wrote:
Big Dog wrote:

Not-so-small nit, but it's more than a 60% "better chance of employment". (A ten point increase is a huge % when one is talking such low numbers.)

WashU = 13.33%
BC = 21.75%

I think I'm lost here.
I'm pretty sure on LST that BC's large firm score is 26% and WUSTL's is 17.7. Using that same math (26/17.7-1)= ~47% better opportunity.
Also, I agree that for big law or bust, both are bad options however because of BC/BU's higher COL and assuming less scholly $$, Boston may be even a worst option cause it would work out to be more expensive.

Another thing here is that BC places 10.5% of its students in school-funded positions which puts its actually job placement a little closer to WUSTL's at 57.9%. From what I've seen/heard school-funded positions are not particularly lucrative. So, this is something you may want to consider.

For all intensive purposes, they do seem like basically peers in terms of placement and opportunities. Just a matter of deciding where you want to live and how much debt you'd like to take on.

All 30 of BC's fellowship positions were classified as short-term (part-time/full-time) whereas the two fellowships positions from WUSTL were both classified as long-term full-time.

Final note: BC's classes are currently larger than WUSTL's. Minus the massive 3L class at WUSTL

For incoming 1L's (aka not including transfers)
BC '13: 261
BC '14: 268
BC '15: around 250*

WUSTL '13: 276
WUSTL '14: 243
WUSTL '15: 201

*BC didn't release its profile for '15. But I found their "Welcome 1L's" press release that stated that there were 4,800 applicants which translated into "approximately 19 applicants per seat." Quick math implies their current class is around 250.

Side note: What is the Harlem Shake and why is it all over my newsfeed?

WokeUpInACar

Postby WokeUpInACar » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:53 pm

icanbeohyes wrote:
Big Dog wrote:

WashU = 13.33%
BC = 21.75%

I think I'm lost here.

For all intensive purposes, they do seem like basically peers in terms of placement and opportunities. Just a matter of deciding where you want to live and how much debt you'd like to take on.

*twitch*

icanbeohyes

Postby icanbeohyes » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:54 pm

WokeUpInACar wrote:
icanbeohyes wrote:
Big Dog wrote:

WashU = 13.33%
BC = 21.75%

I think I'm lost here.

*twitch*

:shock:

bananasplit19

Postby bananasplit19 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:55 pm

WokeUpInACar wrote:
icanbeohyes wrote:
Big Dog wrote:

WashU = 13.33%
BC = 21.75%

I think I'm lost here.

*twitch*

Thank God, I thought I was the only one.

Tremendous

Postby Tremendous » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:57 pm

icanbeohyes wrote:
Big Dog wrote:

WashU = 13.33%
BC = 21.75%

I think I'm lost here.

Your point about the school-funded positions is incorrect. Under job characteristics for BC on LST, it clearly states that school-funded positions are NOT included in the 68.4% employment score for BC.

Unoriginalist

Postby Unoriginalist » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:58 pm

cusenation wrote:

+1

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:58 pm

JesusChrist wrote:When are the numbers due out? Next month?

Last year they came out February 28th

andy261

Postby andy261 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:02 pm

Unoriginalist wrote:
cusenation wrote:

+1

It's a meme where one person is dancing ridiculously while everyone else around them is serious. Then all of a sudden, everyone is dancing. This is the song.

icanbeohyes

Postby icanbeohyes » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:05 pm

Tremendous wrote:
icanbeohyes wrote:
Big Dog wrote:

WashU = 13.33%
BC = 21.75%

I think I'm lost here.

Your point about the school-funded positions is incorrect. Under job characteristics for BC on LST, it clearly states that school-funded positions are NOT included in the 68.4% employment score for BC.

Oh! I never saw that. My mistake.

JadeWest

Postby JadeWest » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:05 pm

Unoriginalist wrote:
Xs20 wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:If you're biglaw or bust, both are bad choices. HTH

I'm lovin' this

This is awesome on at least 8 levels.

awesome on dollar menu level. give or take a McRib. :lol:

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:08 pm

JadeWest wrote:
Unoriginalist wrote:
Xs20 wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:If you're biglaw or bust, both are bad choices. HTH

I'm lovin' this

This is awesome on at least 8 levels.

awesome on dollar menu level. give or take a McRib. :lol:

I propose we all attempt the Dollar Menu Challenge during orientation week

JadeWest

Postby JadeWest » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:20 pm

cusenation wrote:I propose we all attempt the Dollar Menu Challenge during orientation week

The McDonalds Dollar-Menu Challenge: 2700 calories

we'll have to run a marathon the next day to burn it off.

edit: source: http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read. ... 488&page=4
probably not credible. but at least it's not wikipedia?

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:35 pm

JadeWest wrote:
cusenation wrote:I propose we all attempt the Dollar Menu Challenge during orientation week

The McDonalds Dollar-Menu Challenge: 2700 calories

we'll have to run a marathon the next day to burn it off.

edit: source: http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read. ... 488&page=4
probably not credible. but at least it's not wikipedia?

OR we could lobby the school to buy dozens of these babies and just burn the calories off while we answer frantic PM's from new 0L's study :D

T20hopeful89

Postby T20hopeful89 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:36 pm

I was thinking about contacting the admissions office so they could put me in touch with students involved in the NY externship program -- should I email the general wash u admissions office or dean clifford personally? Also, I don't think I know their individual e-mail addresses. Does anyone?

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:38 pm

T20hopeful89 wrote:I was thinking about contacting the admissions office so they could put me in touch with students involved in the NY externship program -- should I email the general wash u admissions office or dean clifford personally? Also, I don't think I know their individual e-mail addresses. Does anyone?

Korr@wulaw.wustl.edu
Krystal Orr

macliffo@wulaw.wustl.edu
Clifford

It would probably be faster to email Clifford directly

Xs20

Postby Xs20 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:42 pm

Story time:

One night on the way home from the bar my friends and I stopped into McDonalds and somehow a bet was made that I couldn't eat 10 McDoubles. Of course, I accepted, and made it through 6 of them before yacking my brains out all over the floor of the McDonalds. Then, the next morning I woke up breaking out in hives, had to go to the ER and take steroids for like a week. Good times.

(My friends still give me shit about the "McRash")

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:43 pm

Xs20 wrote:

Story time:

One night on the way home from the bar my friends and I stopped into McDonalds and somehow a bet was made that I couldn't eat 10 McDoubles. Of course, I accepted, and made it through 6 of them before yacking my brains out all over the floor of the McDonalds. Then, the next morning I woke up breaking out in hives, had to go to the ER and take steroids for like a week. Good times.

'Murica!

Last edited by DoveBodyWash on Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:45 pm

Xs20 wrote:

Story time:

I hope they at least bought the McDoubles for you.

JadeWest

Postby JadeWest » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:54 pm

Xs20 wrote:

Story time:

this and your avatar. you make the best decisions while drunk, right? :lol:

smustang

Postby smustang » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:55 pm

Crowing wrote:
Xs20 wrote:

Story time:

I hope they at least bought the McDoubles for you.

This. And I commend you for not letting the prospect of ten McDoubles get the better of your pride

lukertin

Postby lukertin » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:12 pm

Xs20 wrote:

Story time:

what was in those that gave you such a bad allergic reaction?

T20hopeful89

Postby T20hopeful89 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:12 pm

cusenation wrote:
T20hopeful89 wrote:I was thinking about contacting the admissions office so they could put me in touch with students involved in the NY externship program -- should I email the general wash u admissions office or dean clifford personally? Also, I don't think I know their individual e-mail addresses. Does anyone?

Korr@wulaw.wustl.edu
Krystal Orr

macliffo@wulaw.wustl.edu
Clifford

It would probably be faster to email Clifford directly

Thanks cuse.

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:13 pm

lukertin wrote:
Xs20 wrote:

Story time:

Too much freedom I'm guessing

Xs20

Postby Xs20 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:21 pm

lukertin wrote:
Xs20 wrote:

Story time:

I still have no idea, actually. I'm not allergic to anything as far as I know, and I'd never broken out in hives before. They told me it could've been any number of things, but since I choked like 5000 calories worth of slop down my gullet the night before, I figured it had something to do with that.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”