WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
JayJones78

Gold

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Post by JayJones78 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:40 pm

shntn wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:Wondering what people think about making a trip to STL before decisions are made. I have FF miles that I can use, but I'm wondering how good it'll do. I already did a phone interview and although I was told I can still do a face to face one if I visit, I want to see that if I actually get there it has an option to have some impact.
I doubt it can hurt, but I wouldn't spend your miles on it unless you're dying to visit (all admissions considerations aside) and can't hold off until later, hopefully for an ASD!
That's the other thing, if I do get accepted I'd like to use the FF towards that... I don't think it'll hurt either but I'm more concerned by how much, if any, impact it'll have on getting an accepted. If it's a zero sum play than its really not worth my time (I have where to stay in STL so I won't spend much $ on the trip), but if this can show real interest that will impact an acceptance, the perhaps it's worth it

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:14 pm

JayJones78 wrote: That's the other thing, if I do get accepted I'd like to use the FF towards that... I don't think it'll hurt either but I'm more concerned by how much, if any, impact it'll have on getting an accepted. If it's a zero sum play than its really not worth my time (I have where to stay in STL so I won't spend much $ on the trip), but if this can show real interest that will impact an acceptance, the perhaps it's worth it
While I think it would certainly demonstrate your interest, I'm not sure how much it would really help as far as your decision. You would also be banking on them not having decided already by the time you get there =/. I think it might make more sense to save the miles to visit schools once decision time comes, it would suck if you used your FF miles to visit WUSTL then either didn't get in or decided you didn't want to go for whatever reason. I think you should def send an LOCI though, even if you don't visit!

wannabelawstudent

Gold

Post by wannabelawstudent » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:16 pm

cusenation wrote:
JayJones78 wrote: That's the other thing, if I do get accepted I'd like to use the FF towards that... I don't think it'll hurt either but I'm more concerned by how much, if any, impact it'll have on getting an accepted. If it's a zero sum play than its really not worth my time (I have where to stay in STL so I won't spend much $ on the trip), but if this can show real interest that will impact an acceptance, the perhaps it's worth it
While I think it would certainly demonstrate your interest, I'm not sure how much it would really help as far as your decision. You would also be banking on them not having decided already by the time you get there =/. I think it might make more sense to save the miles to visit schools once decision time comes, it would suck if you used your FF miles to visit WUSTL then either didn't get in or decided you didn't want to go for whatever reason. I think you should def send an LOCI though, even if you don't visit!
Cuse, do you think its a good idea to send an LOCI before even hearing a decision?

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:18 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote:
cusenation wrote:
Cuse, do you think its a good idea to send an LOCI before even hearing a decision?
That was going to be my Q exactly. I battered with this with my NU decision and didnt send one

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:18 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote: Cuse, do you think its a good idea to send an LOCI before even hearing a decision?
I'm not sure how common it is, but FWIW I've seen a good number of TLS'ers in other threads send LOCI's before a decision comes out, particularly if the decision is taking longer than usual. Personally I can't see it hurting in anyway so why not?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:20 pm

cusenation wrote:
wannabelawstudent wrote: Cuse, do you think its a good idea to send an LOCI before even hearing a decision?
I'm not sure how common it is, but FWIW I've seen a good number of TLS'ers in other threads send LOCI's before a decision comes out, particularly if the decision is taking longer than usual. Personally I can't see it hurting in anyway so why not?
I read in several places that it's not too helpful because it shows signs of "desperation" although I don't know if I share that

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:22 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
I read in several places that it's not too helpful because it shows signs of "desperation" although I don't know if I share that
Adcomms aren't high school cliques...I never understood why "desperation" was a consideration. Maybe if you're sending multiple LOCI's or something, but other than that I think people are just overthinking the issue. I wouldn't worry about it

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:23 pm

cusenation wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
Adcomms aren't high school cliques
You can't sit with us, Cuse!

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:24 pm

shntn wrote:
cusenation wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
Adcomms aren't high school cliques
You can't sit with us, Cuse!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:26 pm

cusenation wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
Adcomms aren't high school cliques...I never understood why "desperation" was a consideration. Maybe if you're sending multiple LOCI's or something, but other than that I think people are just overthinking the issue. I wouldn't worry about it
Thing is, my last update was at 1/15 so I don't know if it's too soon to send one

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:27 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
cusenation wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
Thing is, my last update was at 1/15 so I don't know if it's too soon to send one
When was your submit/complete date?

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:29 pm

cusenation wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
cusenation wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
When was your submit/complete date?
Submit 12/20 I think the complete was around 1/5 or so

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:32 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
Submit 12/20 I think the complete was around 1/5 or so
I'd send it, not particularly because it's been a long time, but because an LOCI only matters if they see it before they send out your decision and there's gonna be a lot of decisions coming out starting end of February, so better to get it in now while it could still have an impact.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Unoriginalist

Bronze

Post by Unoriginalist » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:19 pm

cusenation wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
+1 Remember, on some level, these people are selling a product. They want people desperate for it! But I doubt a LOCI would serve much purpose one direction or the other, to be honest.

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:22 pm

Unoriginalist wrote:But I doubt a LOCI would serve much purpose one direction or the other, to be honest.
+1

It probably won't make a substantive difference, but it won't hurt. The original purpose of an LOCI is to reassure adcomms that you'll enroll if you're taken off the waitlist, which protects their yield rate. The impact of an LOCI probably greatly diminishes outside of the waitlist/yield context

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:27 pm

cusenation wrote:
Unoriginalist wrote:But I doubt a LOCI would serve much purpose one direction or the other, to be honest.
+1

It probably won't make a substantive difference, but it won't hurt. The original purpose of an LOCI is to reassure adcomms that you'll enroll if you're taken off the waitlist, which protects their yield rate. The impact of an LOCI probably greatly diminishes outside of the waitlist/yield context
Partly why I'm on the fence if to send one, since if I do get waitlisted I basically played all my cards. Although then I can visit and make it "a trip of continued interest" or TOCI 8)

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:19 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
cusenation wrote:
+1

Partly why I'm on the fence if to send one, since if I do get waitlisted I basically played all my cards. Although then I can visit and make it "a trip of continued interest" or TOCI 8)

EDIT: since I trust the people on this thread, I thought I'd ask something else: I'm going to the ASW at W&L. In relation to my other Q, would it help at all to visit Gtown and GW? (Already in at AU so not in a hurry to spend time there) anyhow knows how well they look at visits and if there's a chance to interview while there?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bananasplit19

Silver

Post by bananasplit19 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:22 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
cusenation wrote:
+1

EDIT: since I trust the people on this thread, I thought I'd ask something else: I'm going to the ASW at W&L. In relation to my other Q, would it help at all to visit Gtown and GW? (Already in at AU so not in a hurry to spend time there) anyhow knows how well they look at visits and if there's a chance to interview while there?
I made an unannounced visit to GW last month, and got to chat with an admissions director. Still waiting for a decision, so I have no idea if it's worth it, but just FYI, they seem more than accommodating for walk-ins.

ks2499

Bronze

Post by ks2499 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:24 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
JayJones78 wrote: Partly why I'm on the fence if to send one, since if I do get waitlisted I basically played all my cards. Although then I can visit and make it "a trip of continued interest" or TOCI 8)

Well, I just got rejected from Gtown and I didn't visit, so I'd have to say go for it if it won't be too much of a financial burden. Good luck!

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:36 pm

ks2499 wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
JayJones78 wrote: Partly why I'm on the fence if to send one, since if I do get waitlisted I basically played all my cards. Although then I can visit and make it "a trip of continued interest" or TOCI 8)

Well, I just got rejected from Gtown and I didn't visit, so I'd have to say go for it if it won't be too much of a financial burden. Good luck!
Sorry about the ding, but you dodged a bullet. GULC is YP-ing via scholly like a bitch right now. I'm very tempted to rage-withdraw.

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:37 pm

cusenation wrote:Sorry about the ding, but you dodged a bullet. GULC is YP-ing via scholly like a bitch right now. I'm very tempted to rage-withdraw.
Yeah, I saw that. I'm glad I withdrew earlier.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:38 pm

shntn wrote:
cusenation wrote:Sorry about the ding, but you dodged a bullet. GULC is YP-ing via scholly like a bitch right now. I'm very tempted to rage-withdraw.
In retrospect I probably should have feigned more interest in the letter and asked for less than six-figures. Oh well c'est la vie

ks2499

Bronze

Post by ks2499 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:38 pm

cusenation wrote:
ks2499 wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:

Sorry about the ding, but you dodged a bullet. GULC is YP-ing via scholly like a bitch right now. I'm very tempted to rage-withdraw.
I saw that - really not that upset when that is how they treat their strongest candidates. Just makes me like WUSTL that much more.

WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Post by WokeUpInACar » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:52 pm

shntn wrote:
Cliffs?

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:53 pm

WokeUpInACar wrote:
shntn wrote:
Cliffs?
Huh? I withdrew from GULC back in December.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”