WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Unoriginalist

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby Unoriginalist » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:38 pm

shntn wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:Also, it's my impression that St Louis is more Illinois than it is Missouri, if that makes any sense.

ETA: Odds that schollies drop on V-Day?

xs20 had said late-ish February, tho.

I'm willing to hope they said that with a "better say later than earlier" mentality.

danielr

Postby danielr » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:40 pm

icanbeohyes wrote:
shntn wrote:
icanbeohyes wrote:I really like the sociable atmosphere of WUSTL and it is one of the better schools I've gotten into, but for some reason I'm still skeptical about the location. Missouri :/

The people make the place, as they always say.

Yeah, true. I guess I'll see how I like it when I go for ASD. I've never been in the midwest before and I'm not sure if I want to commit myself to working there for at least the next 3-6 yrs of my life after law school.

I think you're right to be concerned about how you would enjoy the region/area you'd be living and studying in for the next three years, but keep in mind that "the midwest" is a very large swath of middle America, which includes both large cities and smaller, more rural towns. St. Louis is sort of like the best (and sometimes the worst) of both extremes. It's a larger city, but not as large as its regional counterpart, Chicago; and it has a small-town feel, but definitely not as cloistered nor as intimately small as an actual "small town." The city itself should certainly be considered for its merits apart from any overall reputation the Midwest may have. I definitely understand your trepidation about Missouri. It's got problems. (And plenty of backwards ignorant people *cough*Todd Akin!*cough*) But St. Louis, and to some extent Kansas City to the west, is a distinct and different kind of region within Missouri.

Also, as has been said quite a bit in this forum already, Chicago and St. Louis are Wash U's two biggest markets. So if big city is more your style, Wash U has connections in Chicago. There is also a new(er) externship at Wash U that puts students in NYC for a semester studying regulatory and business law. Could be a good way to make some connections there, if that's what you're into.

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:40 pm

Unoriginalist wrote:I was shocked during my visit at how close everything was. It seemed like I could get anywhere in St. Louis in a matter of 15 minutes, tops (if I didn't get lost). Compared to a lot of cities in the Midwest I've been to, St. Louis seems pretty accessible.

+1

This might be trivial to most people, but the cost of transportation is a huge consideration for me. (Not planning on bringing my car to law school) Using public transit in Boston or NYC can add up extremely quickly. A subway ride in either city is $2 or more. Monthly subway/bus plans and cab fares are expensive as well. Dunno what the fares in Chicago are..but I'd imagine it would be similar to Boston. Maybe you wouldn't necessarily have to take more loans to handle these costs, but it would take a sizable chunk out of your budget. I don't know what the fares are for the Metro, but all WashU students get a free pass. And since St. Louis is smaller, almost everything is within walking distance of a Metro stop.

Remember kids, lower costs= MOAR BEER (and apparently more steak..?)
Last edited by DoveBodyWash on Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Xs20

Postby Xs20 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:41 pm

Unoriginalist wrote:
shntn wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:Also, it's my impression that St Louis is more Illinois than it is Missouri, if that makes any sense.

ETA: Odds that schollies drop on V-Day?

xs20 had said late-ish February, tho.

I'm willing to hope they said that with a "better say later than earlier" mentality.

Anyone wanna call and ask? :D

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:43 pm

Hey Dean, how funny would it be if I got my acceptance and scholly info before anyone else? Wouldn't that be HILARIOUS...hint hint

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:46 pm

cusenation wrote:This might be trivial to most people, but the cost of transportation is a huge consideration for me. (Not planning on bringing my car to law school) Using public transit in Boston or NYC can add up extremely quickly. A subway ride in either city is $2 or more. Monthly subway/bus plans and cab fares are expensive as well. Dunno what the fares in Chicago are..but I'd imagine it would be similar to Boston. Maybe you wouldn't necessarily have to take more loans to handle these costs, but it would take a sizable chunk out of your budget. I don't know what the fares are for the Metro, but all WashU students get a free pass. And since St. Louis is smaller, almost everything is within walking distance of a Metro stop.

WUSTL and Vandy are the only two schools I applied to where I would definitely bring my car. The fact that all Wash U students get unlimited access to public transit AND gas was at least $.70 cheaper per gallon there than here means I'm going to be saving A TON of money on transportation costs. Sure, you can't get everywhere by train, but I'm hoping to have a similar set up there as I have here where I can get around most places without my car.

howardgirl

Postby howardgirl » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:33 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
cusenation wrote:This might be trivial to most people, but the cost of transportation is a huge consideration for me. (Not planning on bringing my car to law school) Using public transit in Boston or NYC can add up extremely quickly. A subway ride in either city is $2 or more. Monthly subway/bus plans and cab fares are expensive as well. Dunno what the fares in Chicago are..but I'd imagine it would be similar to Boston. Maybe you wouldn't necessarily have to take more loans to handle these costs, but it would take a sizable chunk out of your budget. I don't know what the fares are for the Metro, but all WashU students get a free pass. And since St. Louis is smaller, almost everything is within walking distance of a Metro stop.

WUSTL and Vandy are the only two schools I applied to where I would definitely bring my car. The fact that all Wash U students get unlimited access to public transit AND gas was at least $.70 cheaper per gallon there than here means I'm going to be saving A TON of money on transportation costs. Sure, you can't get everywhere by train, but I'm hoping to have a similar set up there as I have here where I can get around most places without my car.

I'll be bringing my car because hey why not (getting a new car from my parents for college graduation/law school acceptance). I'm from NYC where you can literally get anywhere on the train and people honestly do not need cars. So i'm also hoping to be able to get everywhere using the metro and just having my car for backup/days I feel like driving/whatever else.

I read a post from a 1L, probably on this site, where he said he only had to fill his car up once since being in school (for about 3 months) because he can get everywhere on the metro. That sounds very promising.

shntn

Postby shntn » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:34 pm

I just don't own a car and don't want the expense of buying one, so super rural schools get a big check in the CON category in my calculus.

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:36 pm

shntn wrote:I just don't own a car and don't want the expense of buying one, so super rural schools get a big check in the CON category in my calculus.

That's not always true. If it's a really smal rural town you can walk to school or bike pretty easily. For weekly or bi weekly groceries store there's always people with cars you can carpool with.

shntn

Postby shntn » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:40 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
shntn wrote:I just don't own a car and don't want the expense of buying one, so super rural schools get a big check in the CON category in my calculus.

That's not always true. If it's a really smal rural town you can walk to school or bike pretty easily. For weekly or bi weekly groceries store there's always people with cars you can carpool with.

Not always, but in general. I LOVE good public transit, and relying on other people for rides sucks. It's doable, but meh. Zipcar is my baby.

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:41 pm

shntn wrote:Zipcar is my baby.

+1

shntn

Postby shntn » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:43 pm

cusenation wrote:

+1

Whiiiiich kinda sucks since I just checked and there's no Zipcar in STL. There's probably some equivalent, though.

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:43 pm

shntn wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:

Not always, but in general. I LOVE good public transit, and relying on other people for rides sucks. It's doable, but meh. Zipcar is my baby.

Hardly believe that zipcars live in Lexington 8) could be a good business to get a few there though

But yah I agree. IMHO Seattle has pretty bad public transit but I don't know what's up in STL just yet

shntn

Postby shntn » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:44 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
But yah I agree. IMHO Seattle has pretty bad public transit but I don't know what's up in STL just yet

STL seems manageable in that most anywhere you'd want to go isn't tooooo far from a metro stop. Dunno about the buses, though.

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:44 pm

shntn wrote:
cusenation wrote:

+1

Whiiiiich kinda sucks since I just checked and there's no Zipcar in STL. There's probably some equivalent, though.

Enjoy!

http://www.wecar.com/join-wecar/program ... wntown-STL.

shntn

Postby shntn » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:45 pm

8)

That said, I'm not opposed to buying a clunker to get around if needed. I'd just rather not.

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:47 pm

shntn wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:

STL seems manageable in that most anywhere you'd want to go isn't tooooo far from a metro stop. Dunno about the buses, though.

metro will get you around the city but it doesn't go out to the suburbs where the other 2.7M people live though i suppose if you don't live there it doesn't matter

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:47 pm

shntn wrote:

8)

That said, I'm not opposed to buying a clunker to get around if needed. I'd just rather not.

8) :D :P

Re busses: I hate them. Everywhere and everytime.

shntn

Postby shntn » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:47 pm

Crowing wrote:
shntn wrote:STL seems manageable in that most anywhere you'd want to go isn't tooooo far from a metro stop. Dunno about the buses, though.

metro will get you around the city but it doesn't go out to the suburbs where the other 2.7M people live

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:49 pm

stl is kinda a weird city model though. for 100 years its been expanding outwards but the city itself doesn't expand so people just flock to the burbs. downtown is pretty much a dump.

anteater1

Postby anteater1 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:50 pm

Every time I log on to TLS the WUSTL thread has jumped 5 pages.

hard to keep up with!

still waiting on scholly info, but it's looking like a top 3 prospect for me.

fruitoftheloom

Postby fruitoftheloom » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:52 pm

shntn wrote:
Crowing wrote:
shntn wrote:STL seems manageable in that most anywhere you'd want to go isn't tooooo far from a metro stop. Dunno about the buses, though.

metro will get you around the city but it doesn't go out to the suburbs where the other 2.7M people live

I have a sweet Honda civic. Shntn, if we both end up at WUSTL, you can have use of my vehicle for $35 / mo. It's a good deal. But if you get into an accident, you were just borrowing the car. Cash only payments, no receipt given.

icanbeohyes

Postby icanbeohyes » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:53 pm

dougfunny wrote:
icanbeohyes wrote:I really like the sociable atmosphere of WUSTL and it is one of the better schools I've gotten into, but for some reason I'm still skeptical about the location. Missouri :/

What parts are you skeptical about? Since I am from there, I can try to answer any questions/doubts you might have.

Just the whole living there. Idk. Haha I just have no idea what I'd be getting myself into. And I assume that the lack of portability of a WUSTL degree will keep me living there much longer than the 3 yrs for law school. :/

shntn

Postby shntn » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:54 pm

icanbeohyes wrote:
dougfunny wrote:

What parts are you skeptical about? Since I am from there, I can try to answer any questions/doubts you might have.

Just the whole living there. Idk. Haha I just have no idea what I'd be getting myself into. And I assume that the lack of portability of a WUSTL degree will keep me living there much longer than the 3 yrs for law school. :/

A WUSTL degree isn't exactly un-portable. It's not Harvard, but it's not like you'll necessarily be stuck in St. Louis.

Unoriginalist

Postby Unoriginalist » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:54 pm

icanbeohyes wrote:
dougfunny wrote:

Where would your target/home market be?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”