WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Crowing
Posts: 2636
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby Crowing » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:16 pm

danitt wrote:
shntn wrote:25 apps? Hot damn, son. :shock: :shock: :shock:

I sent out 24. TLS convinced me that I wouldn't even get close to the T-20. Needless to say I could have saved a lot of money.


the most i've seen on LSN is about 40

dstars823
Posts: 327
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:51 am

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby dstars823 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:18 pm

i really hope they didnt have to pay for all of them

User avatar
Dmini7
Posts: 725
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:20 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby Dmini7 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:18 pm

danitt wrote:
shntn wrote:25 apps? Hot damn, son. :shock: :shock: :shock:

I sent out 24. TLS convinced me that I wouldn't even get close to the T-20. Needless to say I could have saved a lot of money.


:shock: you snagged UVA with a 157 and no GPA? How did you do that...

edit: I see you got a URM boost. I am jealous though :( I was waitlisted :oops:

User avatar
JayJones78
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby JayJones78 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:20 pm

andy261 wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
cusenation wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
I live in PNW with no desire to come back and work here. No real ties anywhere which is why I'm also gunning for NYC biglaw (among other desires so I can't be making decisions just based on that)


I would do terrible things to have ties to Portland or Seattle so I could have a shot at scoring a decent firm job in either city...the standards of living there sound phenomenal


The standard of living is. Seattliets are, how shall I put it, less.
I don't do well with passive aggressiveness.
Just google seattle chill

EDIT: read this article: http://seattletimes.com/pacificnw/2005/0213/cover.html
Although its kind of old every word is true.

Ugh native WA dude here and the 'Seattle freeze' is such a generalization. There are 600K+ people in Seattle and 3.5+ million in the metro area, with plenty of transplants. Seattle does maybe have a bit of a 'keep to yourself' mentality compared to other big cities (I think it's a mountain thing), but I find it hard to believe that people can't find ANY friends here.


Transplant WA dude. Been living in seattle (around dt. I don't count the eastside as seattle) since 2008 and I find it to be very much the reality and most transplants that I know feel the same. The mentality goes way beyond that IMHO and cuts across many many aspects of life here. And I just don't relate to it. For me it's pretty simple. I like seattle, I'm just not in love with it to put all my eggs in one basket and apply to SU and/or UW and tie myself to the region for the rest of my life. I may get out and than suddenly say "wow it was amazing there I must come back" and if so I may try (successfully or not) to get myself back here, but for now I'm set on that it's not the right place for me, and yah the settlle chill is part of it

User avatar
danitt
Posts: 1984
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:40 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby danitt » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:23 pm

Dmini7 wrote:
danitt wrote:
shntn wrote:25 apps? Hot damn, son. :shock: :shock: :shock:

I sent out 24. TLS convinced me that I wouldn't even get close to the T-20. Needless to say I could have saved a lot of money.


:shock: you snagged UVA with a 157 and no GPA? How did you do that...

edit: I see you got a URM boost. I am jealous though :( I was waitlisted :oops:

Another myth that I busted going in apparently. Everyone kept telling me that internationals do not get a URM boost, so now I'm almost certain that they do.

Also I wrote a pretty strong PS and DS (incidentally neither was race/ethnicity specific) and as much as I hate my job it's considered "prestigious" and I've been at it for a while.

icanbeohyes
Posts: 108
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:52 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby icanbeohyes » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:36 pm

danitt wrote:
Dmini7 wrote:
danitt wrote:
shntn wrote:25 apps? Hot damn, son. :shock: :shock: :shock:

I sent out 24. TLS convinced me that I wouldn't even get close to the T-20. Needless to say I could have saved a lot of money.


:shock: you snagged UVA with a 157 and no GPA? How did you do that...

edit: I see you got a URM boost. I am jealous though :( I was waitlisted :oops:

Another myth that I busted going in apparently. Everyone kept telling me that internationals do not get a URM boost, so now I'm almost certain that they do.

Also I wrote a pretty strong PS and DS (incidentally neither was race/ethnicity specific) and as much as I hate my job it's considered "prestigious" and I've been at it for a while.


Jealous as well. I have a similar score and was WL'd as well

wannabelawstudent
Posts: 2588
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:33 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby wannabelawstudent » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:45 pm

Yo cuse what do you think is gonna happen with my application. I haven't read the past few pages but I can only assume this means impending doom is coming.

User avatar
andy261
Posts: 405
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:50 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby andy261 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:49 pm

JayJones78 wrote:Transplant WA dude. Been living in seattle (around dt. I don't count the eastside as seattle) since 2008 and I find it to be very much the reality and most transplants that I know feel the same. The mentality goes way beyond that IMHO and cuts across many many aspects of life here. And I just don't relate to it. For me it's pretty simple. I like seattle, I'm just not in love with it to put all my eggs in one basket and apply to SU and/or UW and tie myself to the region for the rest of my life. I may get out and than suddenly say "wow it was amazing there I must come back" and if so I may try (successfully or not) to get myself back here, but for now I'm set on that it's not the right place for me, and yah the settlle chill is part of it

I'm sorry to hear that that has been your experience, and I think it's definitely a good idea to go to school somewhere else if you don't plan on working in the PNW. Seattle, as with any city, is what you make of it and not everyone is going to enjoy every city. C'est la vie.

User avatar
BlaqBella
Posts: 869
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:41 am

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby BlaqBella » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:57 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote:
shntn wrote:
icanbeohyes wrote:
I've wondered about her/him. Is he/she a positive or negative influence around here?

LOLOLOL

She's...not the best poster.

Wait she poasts in On-Topics? I never visit the URM forum.


Yes, I actually post throughout! :mrgreen:

User avatar
BlaqBella
Posts: 869
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:41 am

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby BlaqBella » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:58 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:Damn, your thread didn't even make it a page before BlaqBella starting crapping all over it. Sorry about that.


He isn't sorry, actually. Valuable information was exchanged between him and I. Jay is my boy.

Take care!

User avatar
JXander
Posts: 960
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:23 am

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby JXander » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:59 pm

BlaqBella wrote:
wannabelawstudent wrote:
shntn wrote:
icanbeohyes wrote:
I've wondered about her/him. Is he/she a positive or negative influence around here?

LOLOLOL

She's...not the best poster.

Wait she poasts in On-Topics? I never visit the URM forum.


Yes, I actually post throughout! :mrgreen:

Heh heh. Knew this would happen.

And for the record, I think she's a pretty great poster...but whatevs.

User avatar
BlaqBella
Posts: 869
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:41 am

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby BlaqBella » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:03 pm

JXander wrote:
BlaqBella wrote:Yes, I actually post throughout! :mrgreen:

Heh heh. Knew this would happen.

And for the record, I think she's a pretty great poster...but whatevs.


Thanks JX! :mrgreen: It was also my pleasure helping you, too. Reach for the stars, my dear.

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby DoveBodyWash » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:11 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote:Yo cuse what do you think is gonna happen with my application. I haven't read the past few pages but I can only assume this means impending doom is coming.


I still don't think it's time to panic...it's been little over a month since your complete date. Unless your auto-admit or auto-ding, 1-2 months is a normal wait time at most schools for a decision. Hell I went complete at NU in early November and I still haven't heard anything yet.

But re: your chances, at the risk of looking like a huge asshole if you get dinged, I still don't think you should worry too much...If you look at their LSN thus far WUSTL has admitted a lot of applicants with high GPA's.

Assuming that the sample in LSN is relatively representative, it looks like WUSTL can afford to take your LSAT since one of the higher GPA's in the admit pool could compensate for yours. Personally I think most admits with a 170+ are gonna have competitive scholly offers from other schools and will ultimately defect. I just think it's very likely that WUSTL is gonna end up needing more LSAT's around 167+.

Even if there are a shit ton of applicants with 167/3.5+, i could easily see a non-negligible amount of those kids defecting to schools like USC or something. Ultimately, you might be looking at a longer wait as WUSTL evaluates its applicant pool, but I'm not too worried about your app. It's definitely too soon to throw in the towel and expect a ding.

User avatar
alwayssunnyinfl
Posts: 4100
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:34 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:23 pm

JXander wrote:Heh heh. Knew this would happen.

And for the record, I think she's a pretty great poster...but whatevs.

I just don't like that she makes flippant remarks and gives advice sometimes just to go against the "TLS common wisdom." (For example, the part where she said he should go to American, or that some people choose to go to schools, "employment prospects be damned!") Then, when she gets called out on it, she falls back on her "teeheehee, love you!" cheerleader shtick.

User avatar
fruitoftheloom
Posts: 395
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:38 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby fruitoftheloom » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:28 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
JXander wrote:Heh heh. Knew this would happen.

And for the record, I think she's a pretty great poster...but whatevs.

I just don't like that she makes flippant remarks and gives advice sometimes just to go against the "TLS common wisdom." (For example, the part where she said he should go to American, or that some people choose to go to schools, "employment prospects be damned!") Then, when she gets called out on it, she falls back on her "teeheehee, love you!" cheerleader shtick.


Foe her? Her posts are annoying as hell, so I foed her so I don't have to read the tripe unless someone quotes her.

User avatar
BlaqBella
Posts: 869
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:41 am

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby BlaqBella » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:28 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
JXander wrote:Heh heh. Knew this would happen.

And for the record, I think she's a pretty great poster...but whatevs.

I just don't like that she makes flippant remarks and gives advice sometimes just to go against the "TLS common wisdom." (For example, the part where she said he should go to American, or that some people choose to go to schools, "employment prospects be damned!") Then, when she gets called out on it, she falls back on her "teeheehee, love you!" cheerleader shtick.


1. I said he should choose American if it came down to W&L and American, both at sticker. That was my advice on the basis of what I was advised by attorneys and black male graduates from both schools; and

2. What I stated was FACT. SOME do choose to go to whatever school, without considering employment prospects. Does that make it the correct approach to law school? NO. But it happens, time after time. I was in NO WAY advocating one chooses a school while neglecting employment prospects.

3. This is neither the place nor time for a laundry list of your opinions on MY TLS comments. Take that to the OFF TOPICS forum.

BYE!

wannabelawstudent
Posts: 2588
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:33 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby wannabelawstudent » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:30 pm

Can we stop talking about BlaqBella so she doesn't feel she has a free pass to post in here? This is one of my favorite threads on here and I'm not about to have it all crapped up by her.

shntn
Posts: 5319
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:45 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby shntn » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:30 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
JXander wrote:Heh heh. Knew this would happen.

And for the record, I think she's a pretty great poster...but whatevs.

I just don't like that she makes flippant remarks and gives advice sometimes just to go against the "TLS common wisdom." (For example, the part where she said he should go to American, or that some people choose to go to schools, "employment prospects be damned!") Then, when she gets called out on it, she falls back on her "teeheehee, love you!" cheerleader shtick.


Foe her? Her posts are annoying as hell, so I foed her so I don't have to read the tripe unless someone quotes her.

I think she's fairly universally foe'd, but sometimes boredom leads one to display the posts anyway.

User avatar
Unoriginalist
Posts: 275
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:41 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby Unoriginalist » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:31 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote:Can we stop talking about BlaqBella so she doesn't feel she has a free pass to post in here? This is one of my favorite threads on here and I'm not about to have it all crapped up by her.


+1 Let's please not turn this thread into one of these... There are so many others to choose from, haha.

What're people's general thoughts on WUSTLs slight dip in the rankings this past year? Anyone factoring it in at all? I don't really think it matters, but I'm curious what others think.

shntn
Posts: 5319
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:45 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby shntn » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:31 pm

Unoriginalist wrote:
wannabelawstudent wrote:Can we stop talking about BlaqBella so she doesn't feel she has a free pass to post in here? This is one of my favorite threads on here and I'm not about to have it all crapped up by her.


+1 Let's please not turn this thread into one of these... There are so many others to choose from, haha.

What're people's general thoughts on WUSTLs slight dip in the rankings this past year? Anyone factoring it in at all? I don't really think it matters, but I'm curious what others think.

Doesn't matter, but the drop in LSAT median can't have helped.

User avatar
alwayssunnyinfl
Posts: 4100
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:34 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:32 pm

shntn wrote:
Unoriginalist wrote:
wannabelawstudent wrote:Can we stop talking about BlaqBella so she doesn't feel she has a free pass to post in here? This is one of my favorite threads on here and I'm not about to have it all crapped up by her.


+1 Let's please not turn this thread into one of these... There are so many others to choose from, haha.

What're people's general thoughts on WUSTLs slight dip in the rankings this past year? Anyone factoring it in at all? I don't really think it matters, but I'm curious what others think.

Doesn't matter, but the drop in LSAT median can't have helped.

And they conformed to the newer, more transparent employment reporting requirements.

User avatar
BlaqBella
Posts: 869
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:41 am

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby BlaqBella » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:35 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote:Can we stop talking about BlaqBella so she doesn't feel she has a free pass to post in here? This is one of my favorite threads on here and I'm not about to have it all crapped up by her.


Then keep my name out of your font if you want the "crapping" to stop.

THANK YOU!

User avatar
alwayssunnyinfl
Posts: 4100
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:34 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:36 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote:
Princess Consuela wrote:This thread never makes it more than halfway down the first page. The most dedicated waiters!

Eternal Never off the Front Page: WUSTL is the best thread.

Any way we can get meggylou to change this for us?

User avatar
Unoriginalist
Posts: 275
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:41 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby Unoriginalist » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:42 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
wannabelawstudent wrote:
Princess Consuela wrote:This thread never makes it more than halfway down the first page. The most dedicated waiters!

Eternal Never off the Front Page: WUSTL is the best thread.

Any way we can get meggylou to change this for us?


Haha, love that.

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
shntn wrote:Doesn't matter, but the drop in LSAT median can't have helped.

And they conformed to the newer, more transparent employment reporting requirements.


Both good points. It's hard to tell how much each factor contributed. I'll be interested to see how this year turns out, though I can't imagine it affecting my decision in the slightest. It's interesting to me, though, how Wash U seems to have larger fluctuations in their median LSAT scores than a lot of peer schools, just looking at the past couple of years' profiles. Maybe I'm wrong, though.

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby DoveBodyWash » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:43 pm

shntn wrote:
Unoriginalist wrote:
What're people's general thoughts on WUSTLs slight dip in the rankings this past year? Anyone factoring it in at all? I don't really think it matters, but I'm curious what others think.

Doesn't matter, but the drop in LSAT median can't have helped.


Agree and disagree. It doesn't matter in the sense that WUSTL is still one of the few truly national schools as far as the market is concerned. Every lawyer I've talked to, both in the U.S and in Korea, put WUSTL in the same group as GW, USC, UCLA, Vanderbilt, Texas. Basically the group of non-T14 schools that are still top schools with national degree portability. No firms are gonna aggressively recruit from a school cuz it moved up a few spots one year and conversely they're not gonna remove any school from the OCI schedule cuz they dropped a year. WUSTL's lawyer/judge/peer reputation is still solid. WUSTL's CSO is more active than ever. These things probably haven't changed.

The drop has been, formally and informally, attributed to a slight drop in LSAT and to WUSTL conforming to newer standards re: job placement a year early.

The dip does probably matter in a limited sense because uninformed 0L's might freak out at the ranking drop and defect to other schools. Some of these 0L's might have good numbers..so it becomes a negative feedback loop and thus indirectly hurts the school's future ranking.

re: upcoming/updated rankings. I think WUSTL will go back.. WUSTL's LSAT medians are higher than all of its immediate peers in terms of ranking (Schools between 19-25 i.e. Minnesota, GW, Emory, W&L, UW). UW and Minnesota will probably move back down or there might be some three-way tie for 20th between a combination of GW, WUSTL, Minnesota, and UW. Even if WUSTL doesn't reclaim it's previous spot...I don't see anyway it's rankings will drop further down. WUSTL's class size is smaller for these upcoming rankings as well, which will increase the "$ spent per student" (since there are less students). Unless there's some drastic change in peer reputation or job placement..everything should be okay.
Last edited by DoveBodyWash on Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], roar1018 and 12 guests