WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
rabbitrun

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby rabbitrun » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:27 pm

Why is this debate still going on? :roll:
Do what you want, I doubt ppl will remember you between ASW and August.

Xs20

Postby Xs20 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:33 pm

Unoriginalist wrote:But seriously, I'm loving the law school gear idea. I wish I had more than a cursory photoshop skillset, or I'd definitely give it a go.

I put my junior high graphics design class skills to the test and made a couple really rough mockups before I found out that Bear Necessities agreed to design stuff for us. We can send these to them for inspiration if anybody likes them:
ImageImage

(WUSTL imposes pretty strict guidelines on what the designs can look like, so you can't really get too crazy with it)

lukertin

Postby lukertin » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:55 pm

Xs20 wrote:You sound like a blast.

I think he's already self-identified as an insufferable gunner.

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:56 pm

lukertin wrote:
Xs20 wrote:You sound like a blast.

I think he's already self-identified as an insufferable gunner.

Doesn't he know about the halo effect? This could follow him around for the rest of his career.

Unoriginalist

Postby Unoriginalist » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:02 pm

Xs20 wrote:I put my junior high graphics design class skills to the test and made a couple really rough mockups before I found out that Bear Necessities agreed to design stuff for us. We can send these to them for inspiration if anybody likes them:
awesomepics.png

(WUSTL imposes pretty strict guidelines on what the designs can look like, so you can't really get too crazy with it)

Nice! I love the classy look to them. Great job, Xs20!

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:02 pm

The only thing I don't like is that I'd rather have Washington University instead of Wash. U. I might be alone in this, though

bananasplit19

Postby bananasplit19 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:03 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:The only thing I don't like is that I'd rather have Washington University instead of Wash. U. I might be alone in this, though

+1. Other than that, though:

rabbitrun

Postby rabbitrun » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:04 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:The only thing I don't like is that I'd rather have Washington University instead of Wash. U. I might be alone in this, though

Agreed, or WUSTL Law except thats kind of awk I guess

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:05 pm

Everyone I know calls it WashU just like everyone I know calls UofWash UDub

lukertin

Postby lukertin » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:05 pm

I like that green fleece design. If it goes through I might have to buy it.

Randomnumbers

Postby Randomnumbers » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:11 pm

Regarding parents: As someone who went to a lot of ASW before coming to WUSTL, if your parents are cool, just there to check it out, having a good time, etc - it is totally fine to bring them with you. If your parents are asking questions during the panels, making decisions for you, looking for your apartment while they are there, and being annoying helicopter parents, it is very not cool. There exists a vast difference from the parents there to see things, and the parents that are there because they are still running your life. Try not to be the latter.

Note: Anyone who is the latter will disregard what I say anyways, but the main point is that if your parents are cool, bring them.

Xs20

Postby Xs20 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:12 pm

Ok, we can change it to Washington University. I'll make sure we tell the designer that. Here are the guidelines about the name:

2. Every product must display the complete, correct name of the university in one of two forms: Washington University in St. Louis OR Washington U. in St. Louis
3. The word “Saint” may never be substituted for the abbreviation “St.”
4. The configuration “Wash. U.” may be used, but only in combination with the complete, correct university name.

It does display the full name of the school below it, so I'm pretty sure Washington University or WUSTL would be fine, whichever everyone prefers.

rabbitrun

Postby rabbitrun » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:20 pm

Xs20 wrote:Ok, we can change it to Washington University. I'll make sure we tell the designer that. Here are the guidelines about the name:

2. Every product must display the complete, correct name of the university in one of two forms: Washington University in St. Louis OR Washington U. in St. Louis
3. The word “Saint” may never be substituted for the abbreviation “St.”
4. The configuration “Wash. U.” may be used, but only in combination with the complete, correct university name.

It does display the full name of the school below it, so I'm pretty sure Washington University or WUSTL would be fine, whichever everyone prefers.

you are great!

uconjak

Postby uconjak » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:21 pm

Xs20 wrote:As someone who brought their parents to ASD, I figured I'd weigh in here. I was skeptical about bringing them, until I visited Notre Dame and was literally the only person who didn't have a parent or both with them. Figured that it wasn't out of the ordinary after that, so I invited them to WUSTL.

Yeah, it turned out that at WUSTL, not as many people brought their parents and I was one of maybe 5 who did. Kind of awkward? Sure. If I'd known that it wasn't standard practice, I probably wouldn't've. They did go off and do their own thing on the portions that would've been especially weird for them to attend, like sitting in on a class. For everything else, they sat in the back row with the other parents and it wasn't a huge deal, I don't think. They are substantially helping me with the difference of whatever my scholarship doesn't cover, so while they're not making a huge impact on where I'm ultimately going to attend, I figured they'd want to know what they're paying for. And they appreciated that. Neither of them went to a four year college, and I'm the first person in my family attending a graduate school. They are extremely supportive and want to be as involved in the process as I'll allow them to be, so I let them come with me to check out where I'll most likely be spending 3 years of my life and a substantial amount of their money. If that's immature or unprofessional or whatever you want to call it, then so be it. I'm not saying anyone else's parents are any less supportive of them, I'm just saying that we've all got different relationships with our parents, I happen to be close with mine, and I knew they'd appreciate learning about where I'd probably be going to school. If you want to judge me for that, then go right ahead.

I am going to USC, UCLA at the end of he month, my folks are going out with me. Being only 21 and looking at law schools my folks are very suppportive , they even told me they would help out some with law school expenses. They are not rich, i guess their support will be auto, living, and health ins.. they dont take many vacations so thats how they view this trip. If they are going to put up some $ i think they have a little bit of say where i go. That being said, they are also going to see my sister perform LA. They dont get to see her much so it worked out. So there you have it... Bring your folks, i think its cool that they give a damm about you, and your future. My older sis went to the USAFA, my folks meet other parents are are friends with those folks till this day.

uconjak

Postby uconjak » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:24 pm

teiswei wrote:Look, I am not going to sit here and give you guys an all day sociology lesson. First, I went to sleep and that's why I did not respond, not because I felt defeated. Also, I never claimed to know more about the legal world than anyone else, however, I do know more about the professional world. Many of you have clearly never worked in a professional environment, and that's fine, but you need to know what you are getting yourself into.

I directed you to the halo effect because this is an observed behavior over hundreds and hundreds of experiments. People don't consciously judge others, that's the point. People judge, and it can have a significant impact on their perception, whether rational or not. For example, you read my posts, and because you disagree, if we end up in class together, you are going to be guarded with me. You will think I am an asshole, when really, the polar opposite is true. I go out of my way to help everyone and it's part of the reason I am successful.

Another hypo can be seen in the classroom, something all of us have observed. First day of class and someone in the front row asks a couple really really stupid questions (this surprisingly happens a lot) and you judge them. You now unconsciously have a bias against them, however, they could have the highest grade in the class. But now, because you have this bias, you won't pick them to work with and if you get stuck with them, you're coming in with negative feelings that can wreck the entire interaction.

This can also be seen with physical appearances and there are thousands of studies with this. People naturally attribute heavy people with stupidity. You've done it, I've done it, it happens. Both my parents have had problems with weight in their pasts, I clearly know that this isn't true, but others likely attributed very negative traits to them just because their weight. You also judge people on the way they dress. If you dress nicely, you will judge the hell out of men and women that do not. For me, if I see a dude in pleated or cuffed pants, I have a negative perception of him off the bat. The halo effect claims that this bleeds over into my entire perception of this person whether fair or not. I can do the same thing with women with bad hair, men with baggy clothes, people with acne, the list goes on.

This is also observed and true in the legal world. There has been studies on lawyers and how physical attractiveness correlates with salary. The more attractive, the higher the salary. The less attractive, the less likely they are to make a high salary.

I do apologize to ANYBODY I have offended, but this is real life. You are not in undergrad and your peers are professionals. Many of your classmates are going to be older than you. Median age at most law school is 24/25. Many have worked in law firms, financial firms, and the like. They are professionals and expect to work with other professionals while in law school. Your parents aren't going to be able to coddle you like they could in undergrad. You shouldn't be going home to them on academic breaks, it's really time to grow up. Again, I am only trying to educate you on what is expected of professionals. Make your own decisions, I would just hate for a silly decision now to lead to negative perceptions throughout law school.

Shameless plug: if you haven't read it, Blink by Malcolm Gladwell is fantastic walkthrough everyday sociology. I feel a rudimentary understanding of sociology will prove to be incredibly valuable to your future professional careers.

Good luck to you all.

I dont know what this is all about, but dittos....my dad is in sales, he made a living at selling to people most inexperenced sales people over looked for some reason or bias...

Xs20

Postby Xs20 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:30 pm

Also, I got this from the bookstore when I was at ASD, and I thought it would look cool if they tweaked the design a little and added "School of Law" at the bottom. Yay or nay?

uconjak

Postby uconjak » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:41 pm

Xs20 wrote:Also, I got this from the bookstore when I was at ASD, and I thought it would look cool if they tweaked the design a little and added "School of Law" at the bottom. Yay or nay?

Go for it, yay

JXander

Postby JXander » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:52 pm

To those admitted...when did yall find out scholarships?

Xs20

Postby Xs20 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:54 pm

JXander wrote:To those admitted...when did yall find out scholarships?

No one has yet. They're supposed to come out by the end of February.

danielr

Postby danielr » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:27 pm

teiswei wrote:
dproduct wrote:LOL at all us city-dwellers salivating over the cheap rent.

I'm just imaging my life with $500 ish in rent... Oh the money I'd have. The things I'd do. THE SHIT I'D BUY.

I have a SO that makes more than I do! Rent = $0 :)

For the record, this is the fucking guy who was lecturing us on professionalism and being financially independent.

Please don't come back. I enjoyed checking this thread before you came around peddling your pop-sociology bullshit. Look, I expect that there will be people like you at any school I attend. I'm resigned to that. It would be nice if I didn't have to hear your nonsensical opinions before that time.

Thanks.

Tremendous

Postby Tremendous » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:56 pm

danielr wrote:
teiswei wrote:
dproduct wrote:LOL at all us city-dwellers salivating over the cheap rent.

I'm just imaging my life with $500 ish in rent... Oh the money I'd have. The things I'd do. THE SHIT I'D BUY.

I have a SO that makes more than I do! Rent = $0 :)

For the record, this is the fucking guy who was lecturing us on professionalism and being financially independent.

Please don't come back. I enjoyed checking this thread before you came around peddling your pop-sociology bullshit. Look, I expect that there will be people like you at any school I attend. I'm resigned to that. It would be nice if I didn't have to hear your nonsensical opinions before that time.

Thanks.

+1

Not sure why people have to be so damn pompous about such a simple issue as bringing parents to an ASD.

howardgirl

Postby howardgirl » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:27 pm

I still cannot believe I am in. I feel so overwhelmed... I now have to do all this research. Does anyone know how WUSTL is for URM's and for Big Law? And if anyone could help me with some facts between Howard Law and WUSTL for a URM it would be appreciated.

Spending the rest of this snow day doing some research, but any info will be appreciated.

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:43 pm

howardgirl wrote:I still cannot believe I am in. I feel so overwhelmed... I now have to do all this research. Does anyone know how WUSTL is for URM's and for Big Law? And if anyone could help me with some facts between Howard Law and WUSTL for a URM it would be appreciated.

Spending the rest of this snow day doing some research, but any info will be appreciated.

Well there's http://www.lawschooltransparency.com/ but that doesn't have a lot of info on WUSTL. there's also cusenation's research a few pages back. As well as the choosing a law school and urm forums here. I am almost certain that all of the advice you read/get from others will tell you to go to WUSTL.

For everyone else, simmer down. Whoever that poor soul is that made the originally inquiry, has more than enough information to make his/her own decision now.

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:49 pm

The decision on whether to attend a higher ranked school or Howard can be a tough one, and it's been debated in the URM forums. Howard is the premier HBCU for law, and they send a not insignificant portion of their graduates into high paying firm jobs. I'd say you'd be best served visiting both campuses and seeing where you feel you'd be best situated to thrive. Scholarship money should play a big role in where you decide to attend, too. Have you visited either school?

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:09 pm

Listen to her. I have no idea about Howard.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”