WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
shntn

Platinum

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Post by shntn » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:23 am

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:27 am

shntn wrote:Image
I would insert a gif of sweet brown if I knew how :cry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaAd8OuwwPk

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:29 am

Ain't nobody got time for dat!!

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:30 am

CITE YOUR SOURCE

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:36 am

shntn wrote:Ain't nobody got time for dat!!
+1

Love her. I can't believe she doesn't have a wiki page :evil:

dproduct

Gold

Post by dproduct » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:43 am

JayJones78 wrote:
+1

JXander

Silver

Post by JXander » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:47 am

dproduct wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
+1

LOL.

meggylou

New

Post by meggylou » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:50 am

Hopping on a plane in the morning to go visit St. Louis for a few days! I'm excited to see the city and school for the first time in a few years. I'm really torn between WashU and another school right now so hopefully this trip will help me make my decision :D

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:53 am

JXander wrote:
dproduct wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
+1

LOL.
:D :lol: :x

dproduct

Gold

Post by dproduct » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:54 am

meggylou wrote:Hopping on a plane in the morning to go visit St. Louis for a few days! I'm excited to see the city and school for the first time in a few years. I'm really torn between WashU and another school right now so hopefully this trip will help me make my decision :D
Have a fun trip! Please let us know how it goes!!

danielr

Bronze

Post by danielr » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:56 am

teiswei wrote:
wannabelawstudent wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:Be careful. Perceived immaturity is not nearly as damaging as actually immaturity.
Is that directed at me?

Teiswei, I did look it up, as you quoted, it is based on their overall impression of them. What I'm saying is your actions/what you do over the next 3 years, is what makes other people's impressions of you, and at some point, what you do is ASW is not going to have any effect on anyone's impression of you (unless of course you do something insance) and we're at the point where we're now debating a very small minority (of people who view your negatively) of your ASW group, who turns out to actually become a part of your incoming class, who actually remembers you bringing your parents, who turns out that also has an impact on your career, somehow, later down the road.
Sunny, I think, was directing it at me. I'm stating my opinion an if its immature to you, good luck in the legal world. The actual theory is based on first impressions. I agree that it's not going to wreck your career, that would be asinine. I'm just saying people will judge and some will remember. I personally would not jeopardize my future because my parents wanted to meet my potential peers.
Look out everybody, we've got one of those "I know more about the legal world and professionalism than all of you" posters up in here. Excuse me, but are you a lawyer already? Have you graduated from law school? No? Then stfu.

Jeopardize your career? By having family with you at ASW??? You can't be serious. You sound like a resentful teenager that never wants to be seen with their parents around classmates because others might not think they're cool. Only here substitute 'cool' for 'professional' and you've got pretty much the same thing. Don't pronounce on what's professional in the 'legal world' and what's not. Your financial status and even your age have nothing to do with this. People have different relationships with their parents; not all would behave as you speculate yours would. Believing that someone else's parents might think and act differently from your own? No, sir, that would surely be asinine.

Halo effect, indeed.

wannabelawstudent

Gold

Post by wannabelawstudent » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:59 am

yeah its clear that guy had no idea what he was talking about with that last response so we didn't reply and turned this into an off topic thread.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dproduct

Gold

Post by dproduct » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:01 am

I WISH my mother would come to ASD with me. She always brings the lulz. I'd make her take her Ambien and come out to the bars after too. Bringin' Bad Girls Club to the St. Lunatics.

dproduct

Gold

Post by dproduct » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:04 am

DAT NINJA DELETE

danielr

Bronze

Post by danielr » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:05 am

Very good. I have been absent from the thread for awhile, and when I saw that shit I had to jump in.

Now I wish your (dproduct's) mother was coming to ASD. Anything to loosen people up at these kinds of events.

Xs20

Silver

Post by Xs20 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:48 am

As someone who brought their parents to ASD, I figured I'd weigh in here. I was skeptical about bringing them, until I visited Notre Dame and was literally the only person who didn't have a parent or both with them. Figured that it wasn't out of the ordinary after that, so I invited them to WUSTL.

Yeah, it turned out that at WUSTL, not as many people brought their parents and I was one of maybe 5 who did. Kind of awkward? Sure. If I'd known that it wasn't standard practice, I probably wouldn't've. They did go off and do their own thing on the portions that would've been especially weird for them to attend, like sitting in on a class. For everything else, they sat in the back row with the other parents and it wasn't a huge deal, I don't think. They are substantially helping me with the difference of whatever my scholarship doesn't cover, so while they're not making a huge impact on where I'm ultimately going to attend, I figured they'd want to know what they're paying for. And they appreciated that. Neither of them went to a four year college, and I'm the first person in my family attending a graduate school. They are extremely supportive and want to be as involved in the process as I'll allow them to be, so I let them come with me to check out where I'll most likely be spending 3 years of my life and a substantial amount of their money. If that's immature or unprofessional or whatever you want to call it, then so be it. I'm not saying anyone else's parents are any less supportive of them, I'm just saying that we've all got different relationships with our parents, I happen to be close with mine, and I knew they'd appreciate learning about where I'd probably be going to school. If you want to judge me for that, then go right ahead.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:02 am

I shouldn't be posting this late...I should be resting up for Mardi Gras tomorrow (St. Louis has the second-biggest Mardi Gras in the country behind New Orleans...lots of French/Catholic influence in this city, as it used to be part of Louisiana territory).

In November, WUSTL Law has "parents day" so that your parents can come down and figure out what all the fuss is about, see the school, make sure you're not BSing them when you tell them that you hate your life because you have to read 537 pages over the next 7 days and write a paper, etc. I'm an older law student with quite a few years of WE and another graduate degree to boot. It was a fun time for them. They gave my dad a t-shirt. They also had a "mock" law school class, and my mom asked a deep jurisprudential question (on purpose) that even confused the professor.

tl;dr version: there's no way at all that anyone cares whether your parents want to check out the school or not.

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:28 am

icanbeohyes wrote:Sorry to be off topic, but I'm afraid to ask in the Choosing Law School forum, but what are some benefits that are unique to WUSTL that would draw some of you away from GWU. The majority consensus is retake which I won't say is bad advice, I'm just waiting for my cycle to end so I can make an educated decision on whether or not a year off would be beneficial since I am so young.

Thoughts?
Well, for one, GWU is a major rankings/LST score gamer. They've invented these 1-year, school-funded "jobs" that just barely qualify as "full-time, long-term" so that their employment scores look better, and over 20% their class of 2012 are in them.

http://abovethelaw.com/2013/02/more-gra ... aw-school/

Also, GWU undergrad was busted faking their entering class statistics last year, and has been suspended from the US News undergrad rankings. The law school also fired their Dean recently, who made a name for himself at ASU by gaming the rankings there. But he didn't last very long at GWU. You can read about that here:

http://abovethelaw.com/2012/11/change-c ... -of-lying/

Also, there was allegations of racial prejudice while selecting their new interim dean:
http://abovethelaw.com/2012/11/law-prof ... erim-dean/

It seems like there's a lot of fishy stuff and turmoil going on there. I mean, their placement stats are still decent given their ranking, but I wouldn't have as much faith in their administration as I do here. Also, cost of living is about half as much there as it is here. And if you really like DC, we have a DC clinic here that helps you get placed for a semester in government agencies. I spend my first summer in DC. It was cool, but I don't want to be there long term. But other people do.

I don't want to troll too hard for my home school, but it really pisses me off that they try to cheat with the US News/LST rankings.

NoChainz

Bronze

Post by NoChainz » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:38 am

Last edited by NoChainz on Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wannabelawstudent

Gold

Post by wannabelawstudent » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:43 am

Xs20 wrote:As someone who brought their parents to ASD, I figured I'd weigh in here. I was skeptical about bringing them, until I visited Notre Dame and was literally the only person who didn't have a parent or both with them. Figured that it wasn't out of the ordinary after that, so I invited them to WUSTL.
Foe'd. Have a nice life.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

goldeneye

Silver

Post by goldeneye » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:01 am

I'll jump in as well. The last ASD sat in on a class I had, and there were a few parents. A lot of us quietly laughed to ourselves.

I understand bringing them to the city, touring campus, etc. but for the actual activities I think it's important to socialize with the other students rather than parents.

teiswei

Silver

Post by teiswei » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:49 pm

Look, I am not going to sit here and give you guys an all day sociology lesson. First, I went to sleep and that's why I did not respond, not because I felt defeated. Also, I never claimed to know more about the legal world than anyone else, however, I do know more about the professional world. Many of you have clearly never worked in a professional environment, and that's fine, but you need to know what you are getting yourself into.

I directed you to the halo effect because this is an observed behavior over hundreds and hundreds of experiments. People don't consciously judge others, that's the point. People judge, and it can have a significant impact on their perception, whether rational or not. For example, you read my posts, and because you disagree, if we end up in class together, you are going to be guarded with me. You will think I am an asshole, when really, the polar opposite is true. I go out of my way to help everyone and it's part of the reason I am successful.

Another hypo can be seen in the classroom, something all of us have observed. First day of class and someone in the front row asks a couple really really stupid questions (this surprisingly happens a lot) and you judge them. You now unconsciously have a bias against them, however, they could have the highest grade in the class. But now, because you have this bias, you won't pick them to work with and if you get stuck with them, you're coming in with negative feelings that can wreck the entire interaction.

This can also be seen with physical appearances and there are thousands of studies with this. People naturally attribute heavy people with stupidity. You've done it, I've done it, it happens. Both my parents have had problems with weight in their pasts, I clearly know that this isn't true, but others likely attributed very negative traits to them just because their weight. You also judge people on the way they dress. If you dress nicely, you will judge the hell out of men and women that do not. For me, if I see a dude in pleated or cuffed pants, I have a negative perception of him off the bat. The halo effect claims that this bleeds over into my entire perception of this person whether fair or not. I can do the same thing with women with bad hair, men with baggy clothes, people with acne, the list goes on.

This is also observed and true in the legal world. There has been studies on lawyers and how physical attractiveness correlates with salary. The more attractive, the higher the salary. The less attractive, the less likely they are to make a high salary.

I do apologize to ANYBODY I have offended, but this is real life. You are not in undergrad and your peers are professionals. Many of your classmates are going to be older than you. Median age at most law school is 24/25. Many have worked in law firms, financial firms, and the like. They are professionals and expect to work with other professionals while in law school. Your parents aren't going to be able to coddle you like they could in undergrad. You shouldn't be going home to them on academic breaks, it's really time to grow up. Again, I am only trying to educate you on what is expected of professionals. Make your own decisions, I would just hate for a silly decision now to lead to negative perceptions throughout law school.

Shameless plug: if you haven't read it, Blink by Malcolm Gladwell is fantastic walkthrough everyday sociology. I feel a rudimentary understanding of sociology will prove to be incredibly valuable to your future professional careers.

Good luck to you all.

Xs20

Silver

Post by Xs20 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:20 pm

You sound like a blast.

Unoriginalist

Bronze

Post by Unoriginalist » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:27 pm

Hey, so, what's the over/under on scholarship dates?

But seriously, I'm loving the law school gear idea. I wish I had more than a cursory photoshop skillset, or I'd definitely give it a go.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”