WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
teiswei

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby teiswei » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:17 pm

icanbeohyes wrote:Got in today! When it says how many people are coming with you on the ASD RSVP website, can you put down your parents or is that taboo XD?

Personal opinion: bringing your parents to something like this is a bit adolescent. If I attended and saw someone with their parents, my first thought would be that they aren't ready to be an adult.

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:20 pm

teiswei wrote:
icanbeohyes wrote:Got in today! When it says how many people are coming with you on the ASD RSVP website, can you put down your parents or is that taboo XD?

Personal opinion: bringing your parents to something like this is a bit adolescent. If I attended and saw someone with their parents, my first thought would be that they aren't ready to be an adult.

+1
That said, Im old (32 in April :oops: ) so I don't know.

shntn

Postby shntn » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:20 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
teiswei wrote:

+1

Bring your kids!

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:21 pm

teiswei wrote:

I actually think bringing significant other's and parents is the norm if you're bringing guests. I could see why K-JD's would bring their parents. Especially if the parents are planning to pay partly/or in full for school

icanbeohyes

Postby icanbeohyes » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:23 pm

teiswei wrote:

Thanks for the tip!

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:24 pm

shntn wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
teiswei wrote:

+1

Bring your kids!

What about my 5yo golden retriever?

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:25 pm

There were a handful of parents at the January ASD. Doesn't seem weird or awkward to me, especially if you value their opinion.

teiswei

Postby teiswei » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:28 pm

cusenation wrote:
teiswei wrote:

I actually think bringing significant other's and parents is the norm if you're bringing guests. I could see why K-JD's would bring their parents. Especially if the parents are planning to pay partly/or in full for school

Significant other, yes. At some point, regardless of financial dependence, your parents need to let go. If you need your parents there or if they insist on going, you probably shouldn't be going to law school, but maybe you should become an actor(ess) and they can watch you perform. Even if K-JD, you're 21/22 and should be at a stage in your life where you become an adult. Love you parents, don't bring them to professional events. Law school is professional school, not high school.

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:35 pm

teiswei wrote:
cusenation wrote:
teiswei wrote:

Significant other, yes. At some point, regardless of financial dependence, your parents need to let go. If you need your parents there or if they insist on going, you probably shouldn't be going to law school, but maybe you should become an actor(ess) and they can watch you perform. Even if K-JD, you're 21/22 and should be at a stage in your life where you become an adult. Love you parents, don't bring them to professional events. Law school is professional school, not high school.

I agree. Even if my parents were the one spotting me for LS there are still so many other avenues where they can see where their money is going without coming with me for ASD/ASW. Also - think about this: let's say you go with them. They don't like it. You do. They are paying for it/some if it. I would not want to be in that spot

hhockberger

Postby hhockberger » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:40 pm

+1 sunny

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:41 pm

As someone who's financially and emotionally independent from my parents, I disagree with the above posters. Some people are lucky to have parents who are great and wise mentors. Choosing a law school is a really difficult choice, and it's never a bad thing to have some input from a person you trust and who knows how you perform in different circumstances. This is a decision that shouldn't be made flippantly.

For me, my older sister is someone I seek a lot of guidance and advice from, and I wish I had invited her to come with me. Having someone to bounce ideas off of is nice, but it's even better when they're just as informed as you are.

teiswei

Postby teiswei » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:43 pm

Have you guys ever worked in a professional environment? And can you really be yourself around your parents? Most people censor themselves with their parents and that will most definitely interfere with ASD

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:44 pm

teiswei wrote:Have you guys ever worked in a professional environment? And can you really be yourself around your parents? Most people censor themselves with their parents and that will most definitely interfere with ASD

You're arguing that you should behave professionally, and then saying that you shouldn't censor yourself?

icanbeohyes

Postby icanbeohyes » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:46 pm

Lol I get the point. I was just wondering. And I'm 19. I'm still bringing my parents to Missouri, but I'm not going to bring them to the event. They would still like to visit the school though on their off time and I will not stop them from doing that.

teiswei

Postby teiswei » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:48 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:As someone who's financially and emotionally independent from my parents, I disagree with the above posters. Some people are lucky to have parents who are great and wise mentors. Choosing a law school is a really difficult choice, and it's never a bad thing to have some input from a person you trust and who knows how you perform in different circumstances. This is a decision that shouldn't be made flippantly.

For me, my older sister is someone I seek a lot of guidance and advice from, and I wish I had invited her to come with me. Having someone to bounce ideas off of is nice, but it's even better when they're just as informed as you are.

Most parents are not informed. Unless your parents are lawyers, they have no clue. I talk about law school with my SO and it's right over her head. I've done the research, she hasn't. Her opinion matters because she has to move too, a parent doesn't have to spend three years anywhere. They are likely going to encourage you to go to a school they know the name of or is close to home. Ultimately, their opinion is marginally helpful at best.

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:49 pm

icanbeohyes wrote:Lol I get the point. I was just wondering. And I'm 19. I'm still bringing my parents to Missouri, but I'm not going to bring them to the event. They would still like to visit the school though on their off time and I will not stop them from doing that.

You should do whatever that is best for you. I just think that we're coming from complete different perspectives, partly because of the big age difference

teiswei

Postby teiswei » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:51 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
teiswei wrote:Have you guys ever worked in a professional environment? And can you really be yourself around your parents? Most people censor themselves with their parents and that will most definitely interfere with ASD

You're arguing that you should behave professionally, and then saying that you shouldn't censor yourself?

You can be yourself and professional. You absolutely cannot be in a professional environment with a parent and you can argue that with me when you work at a law firm or any other professional firm. You aren't going to school to work at Burger King, you are going to become a professional.

shntn

Postby shntn » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:52 pm

teiswei wrote:Most parents are not informed. Unless your parents are lawyers, they have no clue. I talk about law school with my SO and it's right over her head. I've done the research, she hasn't. Her opinion matters because she has to move too, a parent doesn't have to spend three years anywhere. They are likely going to encourage you to go to a school they know the name of or is close to home. Ultimately, their opinion is marginally helpful at best.

Yeah I see your point, but they're you're fucking parents. If they want to tag along to ASW, LET THEM. I would dearly love to have my mom at my admitted students event. Yes, she might embarrass me, but she's my mother and whether or not she knows much about law school, her opinion matters.

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:54 pm

teiswei wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:

You can be yourself and professional. You absolutely cannot be in a professional environment with a parent and you can argue that with me when you work at a law firm or any other professional firm. You aren't going to school to work at Burger King, you are going to become a professional.

Everyone has a different relationship with there parents, and there are lots of people who do business with or are professional around their parents. I'm not saying that you SHOULD bring your parents in every instance, I just think it's going a little far to say that it's unprofessional to bring your parents.

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:54 pm

shntn wrote:
teiswei wrote:Most parents are not informed. Unless your parents are lawyers, they have no clue. I talk about law school with my SO and it's right over her head. I've done the research, she hasn't. Her opinion matters because she has to move too, a parent doesn't have to spend three years anywhere. They are likely going to encourage you to go to a school they know the name of or is close to home. Ultimately, their opinion is marginally helpful at best.

Yeah I see your point, but they're you're fucking parents. If they want to tag along to ASW, LET THEM. I would dearly love to have my mom at my admitted students event. Yes, she might embarrass me, but she's my mother and whether or not she knows much about law school, her opinion matters.

My parents are Asian and thus take no interest in my life :( :( But in all seriousness, to each his own. The important thing is that you visit!

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:55 pm

shntn wrote:

How sweet!! I'm sure she would love to read this.
I would love to take my dog with me to ASW mainly because he's the best people magnet that ever existed, being a huge caramel blonde golden retv.

shntn

Postby shntn » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:56 pm

cusenation wrote:
My parents are Asian and thus take no interest in my life

Wait......wut?

dproduct

Postby dproduct » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:02 am

shntn wrote:
cusenation wrote:
My parents are Asian and thus take no interest in my life

Wait......wut?

:lol:

teiswei

Postby teiswei » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:05 am

Sorry, I'm really not trying to come off as an asshole, I have a fantastic relationship with my parents and would consider their input, however, it would only be about 5% of the equation. They care deeply for me and want me to succeed, but ultimately I know what's best for me because I've done the research to figure that out. I would totally recommend letting them come to STL with you (especially at 19) but would not suggest they come to the event. They aren't going to be at the school and would likely pick on little, useless stuff. For instance, if I were to attend a class with my mother, she would probably comment on a professor's accent, or the poor use of technology. While useful, this info isn't going to make or break decision. My dad would likely judge based on the attractiveness of the women.

shntn

Postby shntn » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:11 am

And I would be savvy enough to recognize that and take their advice with the requisite grains of salt while letting them feel involved in the process.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”