Page 56 of 399

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:10 am
by shntn
cusenation wrote:
shntn wrote: I know too many people at T6 schools whose lives are generally sucky for exactly that reason. Yeah, they have a good shot at whatever job they're interested in, but it comes at a steep cost in terms of quality of life during LS (and maybe beyond.)


+1

If I'm going to be bored and/or put in a cutthroat environment after law school, then damnit I'm going to at least enjoy law school!

On a related note, everyone should try and at least visit their top options..Every school claims to be collegial but you really need to visit to verify. Not to rag on one particular school, but I withdrew my ED app to Penn after I visited (Insert usual disclaimer about this just being my opinion here). It just wasn't a good fit for me. Every school will churn out their own flavor of kool-aid. You gotta try it to make sure it's a flavor you wouldn't mind drinking for three years

:cry: :cry: :cry:

You wound me. But yeah, it's not for everyone.

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:13 am
by wannabelawstudent
It's not surprising given their reputation towards splitters....splitters are cooler people than the general population.

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:23 am
by DoveBodyWash
wannabelawstudent wrote:It's not surprising given their reputation towards splitters....splitters are cooler people than the general population.


Splitters= Play hard, work hard :D

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:32 am
by lukertin
TatteredDignity wrote:
timeandspace11 wrote:Does anyone know how employment statistics have been for the most recent graduating class at WUSTL? It seems that hiring has been better this past year. Anyone talk to any current students about this?


For the sake of simplicity, I'll assume you're talking about the OCI/firm path, since last year's grads haven't been out for 9 months yet, and we're nowhere close to knowing what their public interest, gov., non-firm outcomes are.

Consensus seems to be that OCI this year (for the class of 2014) was just about the same as last year. Some have suggested that it was slightly worse, but it was only marginally so, if at all. Generally speaking, top 25% was about the absolute worst you could be, excepting URM or IP, to land firm work through OCI. Top 10% wasn't a guarantee (which you would really like to think would be the case), but I've only heard of two or three people in that range who didn't get something.


Hi. I'm part of the c/o 2012. Things were kinda sucky at graduation but I think most people have landed on their feet by now. Also, IP is not part of some "lol immune to shit" program. There were at least four IP (and they all had engineering backgrounds--though they all have jobs now) people who were unemployed at graduation (out of like, 20).

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:40 am
by romothesavior
+1 to everything jcougar said. I suppose I'm a little surprised we were number 1, but not surprised that we're on the list. We've got a really good social scene here, the people are chill and laid back, and there are enough things to do to keep you from going insane for three years. STL isn't for everyone but I really don't see how you could come to WUSTL and be bored/unhappy unless you were socially awkward, pretentious towards the school/city, or a jerk to your classmates. The people who are capable of being chill and sociable seem to enjoy their three years here and assimilate very well into the student body.

And lukertin, I don't think he's saying IP makes a job guaranteed, I think he's saying that if you're in the top 1/4-1/3 range, biglaw is a huge crapshoot unless you have an IP background. IP certainly helps when you would otherwise be on the cusp without it.

Good to hear your insight on the c/o 2012 though, glad to hear people are landing on their feet.

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:53 am
by JayJones78
cusenation wrote:
shntn wrote: I know too many people at T6 schools whose lives are generally sucky for exactly that reason. Yeah, they have a good shot at whatever job they're interested in, but it comes at a steep cost in terms of quality of life during LS (and maybe beyond.)


+1

If I'm going to be bored and/or put in a cutthroat environment after law school, then damnit I'm going to at least enjoy law school!

On a related note, everyone should try and at least visit their top options..Every school claims to be collegial but you really need to visit to verify. Not to rag on one particular school, but I withdrew my ED app to Penn after I visited (Insert usual disclaimer about this just being my opinion here). It just wasn't a good fit for me. Every school will churn out their own flavor of kool-aid. You gotta try it to make sure it's a flavor you wouldn't mind drinking for three years


I think you're right, but I'm also wondering how you can see if the school is cut throat from a visit? And how can a visit make you understand if the school is a good/not do good of a fit

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:55 am
by TatteredDignity
romothesavior wrote:And lukertin, I don't think he's saying IP makes a job guaranteed, I think he's saying that if you're in the top 1/4-1/3 range, biglaw is a huge crapshoot unless you have an IP background. IP certainly helps when you would otherwise be on the cusp without it.


Yeah, that. And, it gives you a shot even outside that range when you would otherwise have no chance.

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:56 am
by DoveBodyWash
JayJones78 wrote:I think you're right, but I'm also wondering how you can see if the school is cut throat from a visit? And how can a visit make you understand if the school is a good/not do good of a fit


True, you can't REALLY see what a school's like until you're actually a student I guess. But I dunno, talking to current students, sitting in on classes etc does give you some insight...And location is a big part of how I gauge "fit". If I don't like the city or the city just doesn't suit my preferences...then it makes it difficult for me to see myself having an enjoyable experience. This isn't to say that this is a legitimate or accurate way to gauge fit, but it's just how I feel lol

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:00 pm
by lukertin
TatteredDignity wrote:
romothesavior wrote:And lukertin, I don't think he's saying IP makes a job guaranteed, I think he's saying that if you're in the top 1/4-1/3 range, biglaw is a huge crapshoot unless you have an IP background. IP certainly helps when you would otherwise be on the cusp without it.


Yeah, that. And, it gives you a shot even outside that range when you would otherwise have no chance.


However, if you're IP, I don't recommend applying to a GP firm via OCI. That is just a terrible idea--I learned this the hard way--you are about 50x better off contacting a partner in the IP department.

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:05 pm
by JayJones78
cusenation wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:I think you're right, but I'm also wondering how you can see if the school is cut throat from a visit? And how can a visit make you understand if the school is a good/not do good of a fit


True, you can't REALLY see what a school's like until you're actually a student I guess. But I dunno, talking to current students, sitting in on classes etc does give you some insight...And location is a big part of how I gauge "fit". If I don't like the city or the city just doesn't suit my preferences...then it makes it difficult for me to see myself having an enjoyable experience. This isn't to say that this is a legitimate or accurate way to gauge fit, but it's just how I feel lol


Yup. I fully agree.
I'm trying to do everything I can to remove location of the school (not talking about job placement etc. just location of the school and where you'd live for 3 years) completely out of the equation and look at schools' merit and fit for me. I don't know if it's just me, but in a way I'd rather be either in a huge city (aka LA/NYC/Chicago for example) or a very small college town (W&L, UMich etc.) all the "in between" cites speak less to me.

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:02 pm
by Xs20
I'm about to start going all wannabewustlstudent if scholarships don't come out soon

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:29 pm
by Unoriginalist
At the risk of outing myself, touring the campus/area/law school today and I've never stepped foot on a more beautiful campus. Just being here has me so jazzed up - this place is amazing.

Just thought I'd share for those of you who haven't had a chance to visit yet. And for those of you still waiting to hear back, the wait will be worth it once you have the acceptance in your hands!

/endspiel

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:30 pm
by shntn
Unoriginalist wrote:At the risk of outing myself, touring the campus/area/law school today and I've never stepped foot on a more beautiful campus. Just being here has me so jazzed up - this place is amazing.

Just thought I'd share for those of you who haven't had a chance to visit yet. And for those of you still waiting to hear back, the wait will be worth it once you have the acceptance in your hands!

/endspiel

Pics or it didn't happen.

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:30 pm
by dproduct
All of these reviews have me extremely excited to visit in March :D

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:35 pm
by TatteredDignity
You people should really wear big "TLS" signs so I can identify you in the halls.

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:35 pm
by Xs20
Unoriginalist wrote:At the risk of outing myself, touring the campus/area/law school today and I've never stepped foot on a more beautiful campus. Just being here has me so jazzed up - this place is amazing.

Just thought I'd share for those of you who haven't had a chance to visit yet. And for those of you still waiting to hear back, the wait will be worth it once you have the acceptance in your hands!

/endspiel

God yes. The campus is unbelievable. Here's a (crappy iPhone) pic I took at ASD, but it doesn't do it justice.

Image

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:36 pm
by shntn
Sigh....suh pretty.

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:38 pm
by dproduct
TatteredDignity wrote:You people should really wear big "TLS" signs so I can identify you in the halls.


Don't worry, you'll hear me cackling through the hallways. I'll wear something extra lulzy that day too.

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:46 pm
by wannabelawstudent
Xs20 wrote:I'm about to start going all wannabewustlstudent if scholarships don't come out soon

I've already resigned to the fact that nothing is coming today....

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:50 pm
by romothesavior
cusenation wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:I think you're right, but I'm also wondering how you can see if the school is cut throat from a visit? And how can a visit make you understand if the school is a good/not do good of a fit


True, you can't REALLY see what a school's like until you're actually a student I guess. But I dunno, talking to current students, sitting in on classes etc does give you some insight...And location is a big part of how I gauge "fit". If I don't like the city or the city just doesn't suit my preferences...then it makes it difficult for me to see myself having an enjoyable experience. This isn't to say that this is a legitimate or accurate way to gauge fit, but it's just how I feel lol

Fit is important, but it should be way, way down on the list after things like geographic location (i.e. where you want to work) and job placement.

But I agree with the above, the campus is amazing, and the student body/social scene are enjoyable, so the soft factors work in our favor.

I'll dip out of your thread now, but if you guys want insight or have questions, WUSTL 3L Taking ?s thread is full of good info and helpful current students.

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:51 pm
by bananasplit19
TatteredDignity wrote:You people should really wear big "TLS" signs so I can identify you in the halls.

We'll be the ones in the custom-made non-ugly WUSTL Law apparel. :twisted:

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:53 pm
by DoveBodyWash
romothesavior wrote:
cusenation wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:I think you're right, but I'm also wondering how you can see if the school is cut throat from a visit? And how can a visit make you understand if the school is a good/not do good of a fit


True, you can't REALLY see what a school's like until you're actually a student I guess. But I dunno, talking to current students, sitting in on classes etc does give you some insight...And location is a big part of how I gauge "fit". If I don't like the city or the city just doesn't suit my preferences...then it makes it difficult for me to see myself having an enjoyable experience. This isn't to say that this is a legitimate or accurate way to gauge fit, but it's just how I feel lol

Fit is important, but it should be way, way down on the list after things like geographic location and job placement.


+1

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:07 pm
by Xs20
bananasplit19 wrote:
TatteredDignity wrote:You people should really wear big "TLS" signs so I can identify you in the halls.

We'll be the ones in the custom-made non-ugly WUSTL Law apparel. :twisted:

Image

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:33 pm
by DoveBodyWash
bananasplit19 wrote:
TatteredDignity wrote:You people should really wear big "TLS" signs so I can identify you in the halls.

We'll be the ones in the custom-made non-ugly WUSTL Law apparel. :twisted:


Do you know how long it frkn took me to find out what the official "WUSTL" font was :x

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:35 pm
by alwayssunnyinfl
cusenation wrote:
bananasplit19 wrote:
TatteredDignity wrote:You people should really wear big "TLS" signs so I can identify you in the halls.

We'll be the ones in the custom-made non-ugly WUSTL Law apparel. :twisted:


Do you know how long it frkn took me to find out what the official "WUSTL" font was :x

Well?