WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
shntn

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby shntn » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:10 am

cusenation wrote:
shntn wrote: I know too many people at T6 schools whose lives are generally sucky for exactly that reason. Yeah, they have a good shot at whatever job they're interested in, but it comes at a steep cost in terms of quality of life during LS (and maybe beyond.)

+1

If I'm going to be bored and/or put in a cutthroat environment after law school, then damnit I'm going to at least enjoy law school!

On a related note, everyone should try and at least visit their top options..Every school claims to be collegial but you really need to visit to verify. Not to rag on one particular school, but I withdrew my ED app to Penn after I visited (Insert usual disclaimer about this just being my opinion here). It just wasn't a good fit for me. Every school will churn out their own flavor of kool-aid. You gotta try it to make sure it's a flavor you wouldn't mind drinking for three years

:cry: :cry: :cry:

You wound me. But yeah, it's not for everyone.

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:13 am

It's not surprising given their reputation towards splitters....splitters are cooler people than the general population.

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:23 am

wannabelawstudent wrote:It's not surprising given their reputation towards splitters....splitters are cooler people than the general population.

Splitters= Play hard, work hard :D

lukertin

Postby lukertin » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:32 am

TatteredDignity wrote:
timeandspace11 wrote:Does anyone know how employment statistics have been for the most recent graduating class at WUSTL? It seems that hiring has been better this past year. Anyone talk to any current students about this?

For the sake of simplicity, I'll assume you're talking about the OCI/firm path, since last year's grads haven't been out for 9 months yet, and we're nowhere close to knowing what their public interest, gov., non-firm outcomes are.

Consensus seems to be that OCI this year (for the class of 2014) was just about the same as last year. Some have suggested that it was slightly worse, but it was only marginally so, if at all. Generally speaking, top 25% was about the absolute worst you could be, excepting URM or IP, to land firm work through OCI. Top 10% wasn't a guarantee (which you would really like to think would be the case), but I've only heard of two or three people in that range who didn't get something.

Hi. I'm part of the c/o 2012. Things were kinda sucky at graduation but I think most people have landed on their feet by now. Also, IP is not part of some "lol immune to shit" program. There were at least four IP (and they all had engineering backgrounds--though they all have jobs now) people who were unemployed at graduation (out of like, 20).

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:40 am

+1 to everything jcougar said. I suppose I'm a little surprised we were number 1, but not surprised that we're on the list. We've got a really good social scene here, the people are chill and laid back, and there are enough things to do to keep you from going insane for three years. STL isn't for everyone but I really don't see how you could come to WUSTL and be bored/unhappy unless you were socially awkward, pretentious towards the school/city, or a jerk to your classmates. The people who are capable of being chill and sociable seem to enjoy their three years here and assimilate very well into the student body.

And lukertin, I don't think he's saying IP makes a job guaranteed, I think he's saying that if you're in the top 1/4-1/3 range, biglaw is a huge crapshoot unless you have an IP background. IP certainly helps when you would otherwise be on the cusp without it.

Good to hear your insight on the c/o 2012 though, glad to hear people are landing on their feet.

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:53 am

cusenation wrote:
shntn wrote: I know too many people at T6 schools whose lives are generally sucky for exactly that reason. Yeah, they have a good shot at whatever job they're interested in, but it comes at a steep cost in terms of quality of life during LS (and maybe beyond.)

+1

If I'm going to be bored and/or put in a cutthroat environment after law school, then damnit I'm going to at least enjoy law school!

On a related note, everyone should try and at least visit their top options..Every school claims to be collegial but you really need to visit to verify. Not to rag on one particular school, but I withdrew my ED app to Penn after I visited (Insert usual disclaimer about this just being my opinion here). It just wasn't a good fit for me. Every school will churn out their own flavor of kool-aid. You gotta try it to make sure it's a flavor you wouldn't mind drinking for three years

I think you're right, but I'm also wondering how you can see if the school is cut throat from a visit? And how can a visit make you understand if the school is a good/not do good of a fit

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:55 am

romothesavior wrote:And lukertin, I don't think he's saying IP makes a job guaranteed, I think he's saying that if you're in the top 1/4-1/3 range, biglaw is a huge crapshoot unless you have an IP background. IP certainly helps when you would otherwise be on the cusp without it.

Yeah, that. And, it gives you a shot even outside that range when you would otherwise have no chance.

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:56 am

JayJones78 wrote:I think you're right, but I'm also wondering how you can see if the school is cut throat from a visit? And how can a visit make you understand if the school is a good/not do good of a fit

True, you can't REALLY see what a school's like until you're actually a student I guess. But I dunno, talking to current students, sitting in on classes etc does give you some insight...And location is a big part of how I gauge "fit". If I don't like the city or the city just doesn't suit my preferences...then it makes it difficult for me to see myself having an enjoyable experience. This isn't to say that this is a legitimate or accurate way to gauge fit, but it's just how I feel lol

lukertin

Postby lukertin » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:00 pm

TatteredDignity wrote:
romothesavior wrote:And lukertin, I don't think he's saying IP makes a job guaranteed, I think he's saying that if you're in the top 1/4-1/3 range, biglaw is a huge crapshoot unless you have an IP background. IP certainly helps when you would otherwise be on the cusp without it.

Yeah, that. And, it gives you a shot even outside that range when you would otherwise have no chance.

However, if you're IP, I don't recommend applying to a GP firm via OCI. That is just a terrible idea--I learned this the hard way--you are about 50x better off contacting a partner in the IP department.

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:05 pm

cusenation wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:I think you're right, but I'm also wondering how you can see if the school is cut throat from a visit? And how can a visit make you understand if the school is a good/not do good of a fit

True, you can't REALLY see what a school's like until you're actually a student I guess. But I dunno, talking to current students, sitting in on classes etc does give you some insight...And location is a big part of how I gauge "fit". If I don't like the city or the city just doesn't suit my preferences...then it makes it difficult for me to see myself having an enjoyable experience. This isn't to say that this is a legitimate or accurate way to gauge fit, but it's just how I feel lol

Yup. I fully agree.
I'm trying to do everything I can to remove location of the school (not talking about job placement etc. just location of the school and where you'd live for 3 years) completely out of the equation and look at schools' merit and fit for me. I don't know if it's just me, but in a way I'd rather be either in a huge city (aka LA/NYC/Chicago for example) or a very small college town (W&L, UMich etc.) all the "in between" cites speak less to me.

Xs20

Postby Xs20 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:02 pm

I'm about to start going all wannabewustlstudent if scholarships don't come out soon

Unoriginalist

Postby Unoriginalist » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:29 pm

At the risk of outing myself, touring the campus/area/law school today and I've never stepped foot on a more beautiful campus. Just being here has me so jazzed up - this place is amazing.

Just thought I'd share for those of you who haven't had a chance to visit yet. And for those of you still waiting to hear back, the wait will be worth it once you have the acceptance in your hands!

/endspiel

shntn

Postby shntn » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:30 pm

Unoriginalist wrote:At the risk of outing myself, touring the campus/area/law school today and I've never stepped foot on a more beautiful campus. Just being here has me so jazzed up - this place is amazing.

Just thought I'd share for those of you who haven't had a chance to visit yet. And for those of you still waiting to hear back, the wait will be worth it once you have the acceptance in your hands!

/endspiel

Pics or it didn't happen.

dproduct

Postby dproduct » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:30 pm

All of these reviews have me extremely excited to visit in March :D

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:35 pm

You people should really wear big "TLS" signs so I can identify you in the halls.

Xs20

Postby Xs20 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:35 pm

Unoriginalist wrote:At the risk of outing myself, touring the campus/area/law school today and I've never stepped foot on a more beautiful campus. Just being here has me so jazzed up - this place is amazing.

/endspiel

God yes. The campus is unbelievable. Here's a (crappy iPhone) pic I took at ASD, but it doesn't do it justice.

shntn

Postby shntn » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:36 pm

Sigh....suh pretty.

dproduct

Postby dproduct » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:38 pm

TatteredDignity wrote:You people should really wear big "TLS" signs so I can identify you in the halls.

Don't worry, you'll hear me cackling through the hallways. I'll wear something extra lulzy that day too.

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:46 pm

Xs20 wrote:I'm about to start going all wannabewustlstudent if scholarships don't come out soon

I've already resigned to the fact that nothing is coming today....

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:50 pm

cusenation wrote:

Fit is important, but it should be way, way down on the list after things like geographic location (i.e. where you want to work) and job placement.

But I agree with the above, the campus is amazing, and the student body/social scene are enjoyable, so the soft factors work in our favor.

I'll dip out of your thread now, but if you guys want insight or have questions, WUSTL 3L Taking ?s thread is full of good info and helpful current students.

bananasplit19

Postby bananasplit19 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:51 pm

TatteredDignity wrote:You people should really wear big "TLS" signs so I can identify you in the halls.

We'll be the ones in the custom-made non-ugly WUSTL Law apparel. :twisted:

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:53 pm

romothesavior wrote:
cusenation wrote:

Fit is important, but it should be way, way down on the list after things like geographic location and job placement.

+1

Xs20

Postby Xs20 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:07 pm

bananasplit19 wrote:

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:33 pm

bananasplit19 wrote:

Do you know how long it frkn took me to find out what the official "WUSTL" font was :x

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:35 pm

cusenation wrote:
bananasplit19 wrote:

Do you know how long it frkn took me to find out what the official "WUSTL" font was :x

Well?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”