WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bananasplit19

Silver

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Post by bananasplit19 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:55 pm

JJ, while I definitely empathize with you in your experiences with the TLS hivemind, you shouldn't let it get under your skin. The single-minded and undeserved haughtiness that they lather on in their "Retake or GTFO" attitude may be incredibly annoying for those of us who don't have the ideal numbers. But the inconvenient truth is that you better get used to that single-minded and undeserved haughtiness, because damn near every hiring partner and attorney is going to be wearing that shit like cologne. Plus, in a vacuum, their line of thinking isn't wrong. The annoying bit is that they like to lord it over you like smug anonymous internet posters because, well, they're anonymous internet posters, and who can pass up an opportunity to feel self-righteously superior to others?

Doesn't mean you have to be like them to succeed, it just means you got to learn to not let it get to you. When in doubt, remember: it's peanut-butter jelly time.

8)

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:12 pm

bananasplit19 wrote:JJ, while I definitely empathize with you in your experiences with the TLS hivemind, you shouldn't let it get under your skin. The single-minded and undeserved haughtiness that they lather on in their "Retake or GTFO" attitude may be incredibly annoying for those of us who don't have the ideal numbers. But the inconvenient truth is that you better get used to that single-minded and undeserved haughtiness, because damn near every hiring partner and attorney is going to be wearing that shit like cologne. Plus, in a vacuum, their line of thinking isn't wrong. The annoying bit is that they like to lord it over you like smug anonymous internet posters because, well, they're anonymous internet posters, and who can pass up an opportunity to feel self-righteously superior to others?

Doesn't mean you have to be like them to succeed, it just means you got to learn to not let it get to you. When in doubt, remember: it's peanut-butter jelly time.

8)
Thanks 'split!!
Happy this thread is full of happy minded social people. And now with this link it all makes sense!!!

P.S: what about a PB and Banana sandwich? Do you approve of this?

teiswei

Silver

Post by teiswei » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:15 pm

andy261

Bronze

Post by andy261 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:27 pm

soccerfreak wrote:Just FYI, for anyone still undecided.

http://abovethelaw.com/2013/02/the-most ... -rankings/

rabbitrun

Bronze

Post by rabbitrun » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:48 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
Annoyed at me or at the responses I got?
That thread was annoying and absurd. As someone considering W&L bc $$, I can't understand why, if you don't NEED biglaw, going to W&L isn't a fairly good option. Honestly TLS can be so filled w/ pedantic assholes hellbent on making anyone outside the t10 feel like an idiot.

But hopefully you will get WUSTL so you won't have to go back to posting on the choosing a ls thread. :roll:
I think I'll wait until I have all $ offers and acceptances and denials before I even glance at "choosing a law school"

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Post by WokeUpInACar » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:52 pm

rabbitrun wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
Annoyed at me or at the responses I got?
That thread was annoying and absurd. As someone considering W&L bc $$, I can't understand why, if you don't NEED biglaw, going to W&L isn't a fairly good option. Honestly TLS can be so filled w/ pedantic assholes hellbent on making anyone outside the t10 feel like an idiot.

But hopefully you will get WUSTL so you won't have to go back to posting on the choosing a ls thread. :roll:
I think I'll wait until I have all $ offers and acceptances and denials before I even glance at "choosing a law school"
The point is, if you're paying sticker, you DO NEED biglaw to be able to service your debt.

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:53 pm

rabbitrun wrote: I think I'll wait until I have all $ offers and acceptances and denials before I even glance at "choosing a law school"
+1

There's a lot of advice on TLS, and much of it is good, but a lot of people don't have the same debt-minimization priorities. That's not to say that they're wrong, but some of us just have different priorities given the information that we have available to us. I'd much rather graduate from LS with little to no debt and have biglaw as an option than graduate with an assload of debt that basically requires me to get biglaw to service said debt. But that's just me.

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:01 pm

shntn wrote:
rabbitrun wrote: I think I'll wait until I have all $ offers and acceptances and denials before I even glance at "choosing a law school"
+1

There's a lot of advice on TLS, and much of it is good, but a lot of people don't have the same debt-minimization priorities. That's not to say that they're wrong, but some of us just have different priorities given the information that we have available to us. I'd much rather graduate from LS with little to no debt and have biglaw as an option than graduate with an assload of debt that basically requires me to get biglaw to service said debt. But that's just me.
+1 for both of you.
Re waiting as well.

Xs20

Silver

Post by Xs20 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:24 pm

shntn wrote:I'd much rather graduate from LS with little to no debt and have biglaw as an option than graduate with an assload of debt that basically requires me to get biglaw to service said debt. But that's just me.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rabbitrun

Bronze

Post by rabbitrun » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:33 pm

Xs20 wrote:
shntn wrote:I'd much rather graduate from LS with little to no debt and have biglaw as an option than graduate with an assload of debt that basically requires me to get biglaw to service said debt. But that's just me.
+1. Seriously. The mom of a friend of mine who goes to HLS told me straight up that if I got into HLS (lol) I should turn it down for whatever school gives me the least debt. My friend has a job already lined up in Biglaw, but she and her mom both know she is going to be miserable for a few years and then burn out. I mean I get the whole glory of big law and the big school name, but I just don't feel like I need it. That being said, if I was HLS potential... I would not be saying any of this hahaha

I'm just really happy to get into a school that has a good mix of name recognition, reasonable employment stats, and has a love of dolling out money. WUSTL is kind of hard to beat for me right now :D
Edit: also the "social life" b.s. thing

JXander

Silver

Post by JXander » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:39 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
shntn wrote:

Put this in the Choosing a Law School forum, followed by "/forum."
Don't. You'll just get "retake. Get 175+ go to HYS or a full ride to CLS/Chicago. If not, retake."
Isn't it incredibly obnoxious?
WokeUpInACar wrote::roll:
Oh please...

wannabelawstudent

Gold

Post by wannabelawstudent » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:00 am

Yeah can we bring this thread back on topic....where's my decision? I'm rejected forever right?

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:08 am

wannabelawstudent wrote:Yeah can we bring this thread back on topic....where's my decision? I'm rejected forever right?

On a different note: do you guys think Rachel from suits is applying to law school as a URM?
Other wise why does she think she'll get into HLS with a 170?? :shock:
Last edited by JayJones78 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JXander

Silver

Post by JXander » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:09 am

wannabelawstudent wrote:Yeah can we bring this thread back on topic....where's my decision? I'm rejected forever right?
Yes, and I am too. Now let's go get some mint chocolate chip ice cream and watch some of the Doctor.

Homelandsagreatshow

Bronze

Post by Homelandsagreatshow » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:11 am

On a semi-depressing for some people in this thread, yet uplifting (for me) note:

The admissions flash drive was pretty baller. WUSTL is doing a good job campaigning this year. I'll definitely attempt to hit up the ASD in late March.

timeandspace11

Silver

Post by timeandspace11 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:13 am

Does anyone know how employment statistics have been for the most recent graduating class at WUSTL? It seems that hiring has been better this past year. Anyone talk to any current students about this?

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:28 am

timeandspace11 wrote:Does anyone know how employment statistics have been for the most recent graduating class at WUSTL? It seems that hiring has been better this past year. Anyone talk to any current students about this?
For the sake of simplicity, I'll assume you're talking about the OCI/firm path, since last year's grads haven't been out for 9 months yet, and we're nowhere close to knowing what their public interest, gov., non-firm outcomes are.

Consensus seems to be that OCI this year (for the class of 2014) was just about the same as last year. Some have suggested that it was slightly worse, but it was only marginally so, if at all. Generally speaking, top 25% was about the absolute worst you could be, excepting URM or IP, to land firm work through OCI. Top 10% wasn't a guarantee (which you would really like to think would be the case), but I've only heard of two or three people in that range who didn't get something.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jared6180

Bronze

Post by jared6180 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:08 am

JayJones78 wrote:

On a different note: do you guys think Rachel from suits is applying to law school as a URM?
Longtime thread lurker, C/O 2017 here, but I want to be part of the conversation...

Rachel's dad went to HLS so she really doesn't even need a 172. Yes, she will be applying URM, and with her LOR from Mike, Harvey, Donna, Louis and Jessica how could she NOT get in? The better question is how to keep her on the show for three years while she is attending Harvard? She would have to be gone for 1L but no doubt she would be a good Summer Assoc for her 1L and 2L Summer. She will likely come back a witch, and Mike's little secret will take all of 5 minutes to figure out...

Back on topic though, wannabelawstudent, My year is next year, but I have been lusting over WUSTL since I started looking at it as a possibility. My family wants me to stay in Kansas, and I will likely practice in KS/MO, so I think WUSTL is my best possible choice as long as I keep studying hard to get that magic 168! If I go out of state it will be to WUSTL...

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:45 am

jared6180 wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:

Longtime thread lurker, C/O 2017 here, but I want to be part of the conversation...

Rachel's dad went to HLS so she really doesn't even need a 172. Yes, she will be applying URM, and with her LOR from Mike, Harvey, Donna, Louis and Jessica how could she NOT get in? The better question is how to keep her on the show for three years while she is attending Harvard? She would have to be gone for 1L but no doubt she would be a good Summer Assoc for her 1L and 2L Summer. She will likely come back a witch, and Mike's little secret will take all of 5 minutes to figure out...

Back on topic though, wannabelawstudent, My year is next year, but I have been lusting over WUSTL since I started looking at it as a possibility. My family wants me to stay in Kansas, and I will likely practice in KS/MO, so I think WUSTL is my best possible choice as long as I keep studying hard to get that magic 168! If I go out of state it will be to WUSTL...
I like your reasoning!! Although I don't know if Jessica would support her.
It would be a huge cliffhanger if on the last eps of the season she would have to decide if to attend Harvard or take CLS at full ride to stay close to Mike and the gang

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:55 am

JayJones78 wrote:
jared6180 wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:

It would be a huge cliffhanger if on the last eps of the season she would have to decide if to attend Harvard or take CLS at full ride to stay close to Mike and the gang
SPOILER ALERT (Kind of since it's from tonight's episode)

She's only applying to Harvard!

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:11 am

cusenation wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
jared6180 wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:

SPOILER ALERT (Kind of since it's from tonight's episode)

She's only applying to Harvard!
I really do think that she should read some TLS on the show. Or maybe create a user and post??

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JadeWest

Bronze

Post by JadeWest » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:48 am

new email:

SLU LAW 25th Annual Health Law Symposium

You're Invited February 22, 2013
The SLU LAW Center for Health Law Studies
and the Journal of Health Law & Policy present
The 25th Annual Health Law Symposium
Regulating Dual-Use Research in Life Sciences

Dear JadeWest,

Please join us on Friday, February 22, 2013, as the SLU LAW Center for Health Law Studies hosts the 25th Annual Health Law Symposium, Regulating Dual-Use Research in Life Sciences. Life Science research is intended to benefit society; yet, at times, it also creates the potential for uses that threaten public safety. Research that can lead to both benevolent and malevolent uses is known as "Dual-Use Research." We will gather leading scholars to discuss the need for an appropriate balance between scientific discovery and biosecurity.

might as well, i'm not getting into WUSTL. :/

edit: the city of St. Louis is trolling me hard

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:25 am

This doesn't totally shock me, although it's always surprising when you're #1 at something. I was very surprised at how cool everyone was right off the bat my 1L year. You can read horror stories about how petty/competitive/insane other law students are in 0L literature, and there's plenty of prominent examples on TLS. I'm especially annoyed by these kinds of people and this type of environment, so I was kind of scared to enter law school. But I was pleasantly surprised to say the least. No one's ever refused to help me out/give me notes, etc. There were only 3-4 "gunners" in my whole class of 275. And people at this school know how to have fun (the splitter GPAs are proof!). I won't get into specifics, because, well, this is a public forum... :twisted:

The school semi-sponsors Bar Review once a week, and Happy Hour once a week. But St. Louis is also a big enough city to attract all the top bands on tour, have sports teams, have social niche neighborhoods, etc. I just got back from a concert myself. Some parts of the city have major problems, and sometimes those problems leak into the better areas, but the COL is cheap. Much rather be in St. Louis than a corn field in Urbana, IL or South Bend, IN etc.

There are a good chunk of socially-reserved law students that are awkward, shy, or whatever, but the school-based events are good to attend. Alcohol loosens everyone up eventually, and if you're the type of person that never knows what to say, just start bitching about how law school classes are terribly stupid and psychologically painful, and everyone will be able to relate. Eventually, with enough practice, you can build your skills up to at least somewhere above "aspie nerd." Unless you want to be an associate your whole career, social skills are very important as an attorney.

Getting biglaw is all about grades, but being a good lawyer is about a lot more, so it's important to try and develop a broad range of skills throughout law school--including soft stuff like social skills, drinking tolerance, etc. When you first start to practice law, most of your colleagues will drink a ton. Believe me, I've been to a bunch of conferences, and even the Biglaw partners will get wasted and buy you scotch, etc. if they know you are a poor law student. The associates are even worse. But that's how business relationships are formed, clients are poached, etc.

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:35 am

+1 to all of that. The social aspect is NOT to be underestimated.

And honestly, from what I've seen and heard of law school, a good group of classmates can make or break the experience. If you're surrounded by cutthroat, type-A people who would throw you under the bus in a heartbeat if it meant an advantage for themselves, you'll be miserable. I know too many people at T6 schools whose lives are generally sucky for exactly that reason. Yeah, they have a good shot at whatever job they're interested in, but it comes at a steep cost in terms of quality of life during LS (and maybe beyond.)

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:09 am

shntn wrote: I know too many people at T6 schools whose lives are generally sucky for exactly that reason. Yeah, they have a good shot at whatever job they're interested in, but it comes at a steep cost in terms of quality of life during LS (and maybe beyond.)
+1

If I'm going to be bored and/or put in a cutthroat environment after law school, then damnit I'm going to at least enjoy law school!

On a related note, everyone should try and at least visit their top options..Every school claims to be collegial but you really need to visit to verify. Not to rag on one particular school, but I withdrew my ED app to Penn after I visited (Insert usual disclaimer about this just being my opinion here). It just wasn't a good fit for me. Every school will churn out their own flavor of kool-aid. You gotta try it to make sure it's a flavor you wouldn't mind drinking for three years

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”