WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
DoveBodyWash

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby DoveBodyWash » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:19 pm

JesusChrist wrote:
cusenation wrote:Observations after clicking hundreds of tabs and browsing hundreds of attorney bios all day:

-These firms are generally all very small. Only one office in KC had 300+ lawyers. Every other office was 250 or smaller
-The hype about SLU grads being preferred over WUSTL grads seems slightly overexaggerated. Yes SLU was very well represented, but not as well as WUSTL as far as post-recession associates. Maybe there would be more WUSTL associates if SLU didn't exist or something, but WUSTL was still better represented in general. (Minus Hinshaw & Culbertson)

I am thoroughly surprised SLU is able to place grads any where. The term TTT gets tossed around a lot around here, but SLU is about as close as any school can get. Maybe I'm being harsh.

Well I think it would be hard for SLU to place grads outside of Missouri or St. Louis. But it seems like the law school and university in general are well-regarded in St. Louis and the immediate region. And a lot of law firms apparently view WashU law students as flight risks that will likely leave to another firm in a more desirable city at the first chance they get.

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:21 pm

Also, WUSTL students were REALLY adamant about saying that they had respect for SLU whenever they mentioned it. I found the humility nice.

JesusChrist

Postby JesusChrist » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:27 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:Also, WUSTL students were REALLY adamant about saying that they had respect for SLU whenever they mentioned it. I found the humility nice.

I'm not trying to be mean just for the sake of being mean. I honestly and earnestly believe that schools like SLU or Thomas Jefferson and McGeorge in CA (where I know some people who are paying $$$$$ to attend) are no better than Cooley and Barry. These places have class sizes of 300-400. They're freaking For-Profit diploma mills. It's nice that the WUSTL students show respect for the local schools but I think they're scams.

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:32 pm

JesusChrist wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:Also, WUSTL students were REALLY adamant about saying that they had respect for SLU whenever they mentioned it. I found the humility nice.

I'm not trying to be mean just for the sake of being mean. I honestly and earnestly believe that schools like SLU or Thomas Jefferson and McGeorge in CA (where I know some people who are paying $$$$$ to attend) are no better than Cooley and Barry. These places have class sizes of 300-400. They're freaking For-Profit diploma mills. It's nice that the WUSTL students show respect for the local schools but I think they're scams.

Ehh...even Harvard could end up being a scam if you pay sticker don't get a job...extreme example sure, but whether a school constitutes a scam or not depends on your outcome..Is outcome easier to predict with certain schools? Sure. But in the end it's the results that validate or invalidate attending a certain school.

I'm pretty debt-averse and skeptical of law schools in general as well..but I'm not sure if I'd put SLU in the same group as Cooley..just cuz..c'mon..Cooley??? SLU as a university is pretty respectable. But I admit I don't know much about their law school. Regardless, as admitted WUSTL students 8) (not SLU students), I think it's wise to acknowledge SLU as a legitimate peer, at least in the immediate market.

lukertin

Postby lukertin » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:45 pm

JesusChrist wrote:I'm not trying to be mean just for the sake of being mean. I honestly and earnestly believe that schools like SLU or Thomas Jefferson and McGeorge in CA (where I know some people who are paying $$$$$ to attend) are no better than Cooley and Barry. These places have class sizes of 300-400. They're freaking For-Profit diploma mills. It's nice that the WUSTL students show respect for the local schools but I think they're scams.

I heard from old timers in the StL area that SLU was held in much higher in prestige than WashU. It's only been recently (in the past couple of decades) that WashU has rocketed past SLU in terms of eminence nation-wide. Opinions of the sort become ingrained into the psyche of a region, and latent bias can be hard to remove.

SLU is not on the same level as Cooley.

soccerfreak

Postby soccerfreak » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:47 pm

cusenation wrote:I think it's wise to acknowledge SLU as a legitimate peer, at least in the immediate market.

This is the most relevant quote. You will only be competing with SLU folks in one market: St. Louis. They don't place in Chicago, or Kansas City, or anywhere else.

HOWEVER, since all of their top students are staying in St. Louis, someone who is 20% at Wash U will likely be in direct competition with 5% at SLU, and may lose out a job to them.

Generally, going to SLU is a bad idea; their tuition is much higher than local state school (Mizzou) with similar placement.

UAX09

Postby UAX09 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:50 pm

It's important to remember that SLU grads are well represented in the St. Louis market. Since the vast majority of WUSTL grads leave the area, SLU grads are able to establish a stronghold in the region. SLU alumni recruit heavily from their school and favor SLU alumni over WUSTL grads. This trend will only continue as WUSTL becomes more of a national school. WUSTL is currently undergoing a 2.2 billion dollar fundraising campaign to raise the overall stature of the school. Over 1.2 billion dollars have been raised already. I think things are looking better, albeit very slowly in this economy.

nowhammies

Postby nowhammies » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:57 pm

JesusChrist wrote:

SLU is not a diploma mill. You have no idea what you're talking about. Not all for-profit, private universities are diploma mills. (And, by the way, Washington University is also a private university which, as someone pointed out earlier, has overall higher tuition than SLU.) Plenty of law schools have class sizes that fall into the 300-400 range.

Do some research, and then maybe you can explain why you think SLU Law is a "scam." I think most people know going in that SLU does not have the same kind of national reach as Wash U, and they're ok with that. SLU grads tend to gravitate more toward the under-served or public interest areas of law within the St. Louis region (which includes parts of Illinois and east Missouri).

nowhammies

Postby nowhammies » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:08 pm

In general, recklessly throwing around the words "diploma mill" and "scam" is guaranteed to start a fight. And I don't even go to SLU, but I am a St. Louis native. It's easy to spot when someone is being careless with facts, especially facts about the city or its institutions. St. Louisans are used to refuting uninformed assertions, since people commonly like to claim that it is one of the most dangerous cities in the U.S. (I mean, yes, there is crime and much of it is difficult to deal with, but it's nothing compared to other, poorer cities in the U.S.)

hoos89

Postby hoos89 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:30 pm

/
Last edited by hoos89 on Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:31 pm

nowhammies wrote:
JesusChrist wrote:

SLU is not a diploma mill. You have no idea what you're talking about. Not all for-profit, private universities are diploma mills. (And, by the way, Washington University is also a private university which, as someone pointed out earlier, has overall higher tuition than SLU.) Plenty of law schools have class sizes that fall into the 300-400 range.

Do some research, and then maybe you can explain why you think SLU Law is a "scam." I think most people know going in that SLU does not have the same kind of national reach as Wash U, and they're ok with that. SLU grads tend to gravitate more toward the under-served or public interest areas of law within the St. Louis region (which includes parts of Illinois and east Missouri).

Considering that SLU has statistically poorer employment stats than Mizzou yet costs more than twice as much in-state, I think it's fair to look at the school with plenty of skepticism.

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:51 pm

I don't think any of us are considering SLU anyway. This is not the thread to argue over SLU's alleged TTT-ness.

On to more relevant topics.

It's almost 4pm eastern time and wannabelawstudent hasn't posted anything today or sent me a frantic PM asking me where his decision is. I'm giving it one more hour until I file a missing persons report
Last edited by DoveBodyWash on Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:53 pm

cusenation wrote:I don't think any of us are considering SLU anyway. This is not the thread to argue over SLU's alleged TTT-ness.

It's almost 4pm eastern time and wannabelawstudent has yet to post in this thread. I'm giving it one more hour until I file a missing persons report

I've been here bro

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:54 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote:
cusenation wrote:I don't think any of us are considering SLU anyway. This is not the thread to argue over SLU's alleged TTT-ness.

It's almost 4pm eastern time and wannabelawstudent has yet to post in this thread. I'm giving it one more hour until I file a missing persons report

I've been here brah

In this chaotic, unpredictable world of NU-twitter-trolling, you are one of the few things in my day that I can reliably count on haha

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:55 pm

What did NU do?

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:56 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote:What did NU do?

It's what they're NOT doing that's the problem lol

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:57 pm

cusenation wrote:

It's what they're NOT doing that's the problem lol

I mean how are they trolling you guys? I'm genuinely curious and will probably find it funny.

icanbeohyes

Postby icanbeohyes » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:57 pm

Sorry to interrupt this discussion, but does anyone know when the last wave of decisions went out? It seems like for the past few pages on here, people have just been discussing things related to school. No movement?

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:03 pm

icanbeohyes wrote:Sorry to interrupt this discussion, but does anyone know when the last wave of decisions went out? It seems like for the past few pages on here, people have just been discussing things related to school. No movement?

I believe the last big wave was a little over 2 weeks ago, with a few more coming on the 28th/29th

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:06 pm

icanbeohyes wrote:Sorry to interrupt this discussion, but does anyone know when the last wave of decisions went out? It seems like for the past few pages on here, people have just been discussing things related to school. No movement?

If I had to guess, next wave of offers are probably gonna come during or right after the initial scholly offers go out. I think the adcom and scholly-com are two different groups, so I'm assuming that the two groups are working simultaneously. WUSTL isn't distributing dings/waitlists until March..so they're probably sifting through the stack Dec/Jan apps

PMed you

Unoriginalist

Postby Unoriginalist » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:09 pm

For the record, I love how active this thread has been. Good sign for potential future classmates.

I'm getting pumped for my visit this weekend. Everyone I talk to has gushed about how beautiful the campus at Wash U is, and how much people love it.

Also, it seems to me I'm not the only one that appreciates that the name of the law school is Anheuser-Busch Hall. Haha. Anyone confirm that there's a happy hour provided after classes on Fridays?

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:10 pm

Unoriginalist wrote:For the record, I love how active this thread has been. Good sign for potential future classmates.

I'm getting pumped for my visit this weekend. Everyone I talk to has gushed about how beautiful the campus at Wash U is, and how much people love it.

Also, it seems to me I'm not the only one that appreciates that the name of the law school is Anheuser-Busch Hall. Haha. Anyone confirm that there's a happy hour provided after classes on Fridays?

Yup. I was told it's all Budweiser products.

andy261

Postby andy261 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:14 pm

Unoriginalist wrote:For the record, I love how active this thread has been. Good sign for potential future classmates.

Confirmed. It was right after the final reception for ASD so I was surprised more admits didn't go. All AB and affiliate products. :lol: I believe a student said that a stipulation of AB's funding was that only their products would be served, which is fair enough.

Crowing

Postby Crowing » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:15 pm

andy261 wrote:I believe a student said that a stipulation of AB's funding was that only their products would be served, which is fair enough.

I wonder if this includes Stella Artois.

andy261

Postby andy261 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:23 pm

Crowing wrote:
andy261 wrote:I believe a student said that a stipulation of AB's funding was that only their products would be served, which is fair enough.

I wonder if this includes Stella Artois.

Haha it does! I had two at the reception. 8)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”