WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
bananasplit19
Posts: 686
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:53 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby bananasplit19 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:09 pm

cusenation wrote:My incomplete analysis of WUSTL's Private Sector Employment in Missouri
(Final spreadsheet will be uploaded once I finish the comparative analysis of WUSTL, ND, UIUC, and NU)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6is5ugt1mtcspbn/WUSTL%20MO%20Placement.JPG

Summary and Comments:
-Counted WUSTL associates in 16 major firms. Either based in Missouri or has an office in Missouri
-Listed salary/total number of offices information for firms with 5 or more WUSTL associates
-Only counted associates who graduated in 2008 or later.
-Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP does not like WUSTL very much...
- "# Outside Midwest" means the number of WUSTL associates who were based in an office outside the Midwest. But these were mostly Midwestern firms so some of them didn't even have offices in other regions
-I know there are probably more (smaller) firms in the state and St. Louis/Kansas City area. But these were the firms that seemed large enough to actually hire new associates in this economy..I'm also not from St. Louis and I'm an 0L so I don't know every firm out there..
-The note about bolded/italicized firms was so I could remember which firms not to double-count when doing the Chicago analysis later

Coming soon...
-Analysis of 60 firms in Chicago that pay six-figure starting salary (between 110K-160K)
-Includes Chicago-based firms (i.e...Kirkland & Ellis) and major firms with Chicago offices (i.e. Skadden)
-Comparing headcounts of associates who graduated in 2008 or later from WUSTL, Notre Dame, Illinois, and Northwestern.
-ONLY ASSOCIATES WHO ARE BASED IN CHICAGO ARE BEING COUNTED. So if they're a K&E associate or something and is based in NYC then they're not gonna be included.
-Finished 25% of the firms so far. Single digits numbers (or zero) for all four schools..minus 11 associates at Baker & Mackenzie from Northwestern.
-Chicago in general looks like a blood bath..I searched multiple times pretty often because "No Results" kept popping up and I was sure that I did something wrong..

If I'm lucky enough to end up at the same school, I know who I'm going to try to steal notes from. Cuse knows how to bring it. 8)

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby DoveBodyWash » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:19 pm

bananasplit19 wrote:
cusenation wrote:My incomplete analysis of WUSTL's Private Sector Employment in Missouri
(Final spreadsheet will be uploaded once I finish the comparative analysis of WUSTL, ND, UIUC, and NU)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6is5ugt1mtcspbn/WUSTL%20MO%20Placement.JPG

Summary and Comments:
-Counted WUSTL associates in 16 major firms. Either based in Missouri or has an office in Missouri
-Listed salary/total number of offices information for firms with 5 or more WUSTL associates
-Only counted associates who graduated in 2008 or later.
-Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP does not like WUSTL very much...
- "# Outside Midwest" means the number of WUSTL associates who were based in an office outside the Midwest. But these were mostly Midwestern firms so some of them didn't even have offices in other regions
-I know there are probably more (smaller) firms in the state and St. Louis/Kansas City area. But these were the firms that seemed large enough to actually hire new associates in this economy..I'm also not from St. Louis and I'm an 0L so I don't know every firm out there..
-The note about bolded/italicized firms was so I could remember which firms not to double-count when doing the Chicago analysis later

Coming soon...
-Analysis of 60 firms in Chicago that pay six-figure starting salary (between 110K-160K)
-Includes Chicago-based firms (i.e...Kirkland & Ellis) and major firms with Chicago offices (i.e. Skadden)
-Comparing headcounts of associates who graduated in 2008 or later from WUSTL, Notre Dame, Illinois, and Northwestern.
-ONLY ASSOCIATES WHO ARE BASED IN CHICAGO ARE BEING COUNTED. So if they're a K&E associate or something and is based in NYC then they're not gonna be included.
-Finished 25% of the firms so far. Single digits numbers (or zero) for all four schools..minus 11 associates at Baker & Mackenzie from Northwestern.
-Chicago in general looks like a blood bath..I searched multiple times pretty often because "No Results" kept popping up and I was sure that I did something wrong..

If I'm lucky enough to end up at the same school, I know who I'm going to try to steal notes from. Cuse knows how to bring it. 8)


Correction. There are 12 WUSTL associates at Bryan Cave

shntn
Posts: 5319
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:45 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby shntn » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:21 pm

cusenation wrote:Correction. There are 12 WUSTL associates at Bryan Cave

This is truly fantastic.

wannabelawstudent
Posts: 2588
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:33 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby wannabelawstudent » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:46 pm

omfg someone who applied 2 weeks after me at richmond just got his acceptance call, and I haven't heard anything. I'm gonna get rejected from everywhere and have to become a farmer that lives off the land for the rest of my life.

Big Law > Big Crops :(

shntn
Posts: 5319
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:45 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby shntn » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:50 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
shntn wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
shntn wrote:Wow, I will totally scour this after I finish watching House of Cards. Thank you brother cuse!

Re house of cards - awesome show!! Watched all the eps in two days

<-- calls in sick tomorrow to beat jayjones's record.


Valid reason to not go to work! 8)

The only downside is after finishing the first episode, I am straight up JONESING for some decent ribs, which is cruel since I'm in completely the wrong part of the country for that. :cry:

Speaking of, how's the food scene in STL?

User avatar
TatteredDignity
Posts: 1520
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:06 am

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby TatteredDignity » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:04 pm

shntn wrote:
cusenation wrote:Correction. There are 12 WUSTL associates at Bryan Cave

This is truly fantastic.


And they're not as grades whorish as you'd think. I know of ~ top 25%, non URM non IP who are headed there this year.

shntn
Posts: 5319
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:45 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby shntn » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:05 pm

TatteredDignity wrote:
shntn wrote:
cusenation wrote:Correction. There are 12 WUSTL associates at Bryan Cave

This is truly fantastic.


And they're not as grades whorish as you'd think. I know of ~ top 25%, non URM non IP who are headed there this year.

Sounds like a very clean-cut, chill yet sociable firm. 8)

User avatar
JayJones78
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby JayJones78 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:21 pm

shntn wrote:
shntn wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
shntn wrote:Wow, I will totally scour this after I finish watching House of Cards. Thank you brother cuse!

Re house of cards - awesome show!! Watched all the eps in two days

<-- calls in sick tomorrow to beat jayjones's record.

Valid reason to not go to work! 8)

The only downside is after finishing the first episode, I am straight up JONESING for some decent ribs, which is cruel since I'm in completely the wrong part of the country for that. :cry:

Speaking of, how's the food scene in STL?


Funny but the day I started watching the show I sat down with half a rack + a pulled bbq pork sandwich and a side of potato salad.
Yes, I ate all of it.

User avatar
Xs20
Posts: 821
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:03 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby Xs20 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:40 pm

shntn wrote:Speaking of, how's the food scene in STL?

Relevant: The night before ASD my parents and I made a run for the closest restaurant to the hotel since it was zero degrees out, which turned out to be some insanely expensive brazilian gaucho place. I'd never been to one before, so I didn't know what to expect, and evidently it involves unlimited amounts of absurd kinds of meat flying at you nonstop, until you flip the stop/go card they give you over to the red side. The gauchos didn't even respect the card when I got overwhelmed and flipped my card over though, and they just kept piling all this weird exotic meat on my plate. It felt like a cruel kind of fraternity hazing where they force all kinds of booze down the pledges' throats -- only with meat. I woke up at 7am the next morning with the meat sweats and had to get ready for ASD, even though I wanted to barf and slip into a coma for a few days.

shntn
Posts: 5319
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:45 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby shntn » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:41 pm

Xs20 wrote:
shntn wrote:Speaking of, how's the food scene in STL?

Relevant: The night before ASD my parents and I made a run for the closest restaurant to the hotel since it was zero degrees out, which turned out to be some insanely expensive brazilian gaucho place. I'd never been to one before, so I didn't know what to expect, and evidently it involves unlimited amounts of absurd kinds of meat flying at you nonstop, until you flip the stop/go card they give you over to the red side. The gauchos didn't even respect the card when I got overwhelmed and flipped my card over though, and they just kept piling all this weird exotic meat on my plate. It felt like a cruel kind of fraternity hazing where they force all kinds of booze down the pledges' throats -- only with meat. I woke up at 7am the next morning with the meat sweats and had to get ready for ASD, even though I wanted to bard and then slip into a coma for a few days.

Well I love churrascarias so that's actually okay in my book.

wannabelawstudent
Posts: 2588
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:33 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby wannabelawstudent » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:41 pm

Xs20 wrote:
shntn wrote:Speaking of, how's the food scene in STL?

Relevant: The night before ASD my parents and I made a run for the closest restaurant to the hotel since it was zero degrees out, which turned out to be some insanely expensive brazilian gaucho place. I'd never been to one before, so I didn't know what to expect, and evidently it involves unlimited amounts of absurd kinds of meat flying at you nonstop, until you flip the stop/go card they give you over to the red side. The gauchos didn't even respect the card when I got overwhelmed and flipped my card over though, and they just kept piling all this weird exotic meat on my plate. It felt like a cruel kind of fraternity hazing where they force all kinds of booze down the pledges' throats -- only with meat. I woke up at 7am the next morning with the meat sweats and had to get ready for ASD, even though I wanted to bard and then slip into a coma for a few days.


FOGO DE CHAO! that's my favorite restaurant EVER (but it is insanely expensive like $50 a plate)

User avatar
alwayssunnyinfl
Posts: 4100
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:34 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:42 pm

Xs20 wrote:
shntn wrote:Speaking of, how's the food scene in STL?

Relevant: The night before ASD my parents and I made a run for the closest restaurant to the hotel since it was zero degrees out, which turned out to be some insanely expensive brazilian gaucho place. I'd never been to one before, so I didn't know what to expect, and evidently it involves unlimited amounts of absurd kinds of meat flying at you nonstop, until you flip the stop/go card they give you over to the red side. The gauchos didn't even respect the card when I got overwhelmed and flipped my card over though, and they just kept piling all this weird exotic meat on my plate. It felt like a cruel kind of fraternity hazing where they force all kinds of booze down the pledges' throats -- only with meat. I woke up at 7am the next morning with the meat sweats and had to get ready for ASD, even though I wanted to barf and slip into a coma for a few days.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:


I'm sure it was only relatively absurdly expensive. Those places are regularly $85+/person here, though the better places are $100+.

Also, I would have introduced myself but didn't want to be like "hey, I know you from the internet" infront of your parents. They seemed cool, though.

User avatar
Xs20
Posts: 821
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:03 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby Xs20 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:52 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:I'm sure it was only relatively absurdly expensive. Those places are regularly $85+/person here, though the better places are $100+.

Also, I would have introduced myself but didn't want to be like "hey, I know you from the internet" infront of your parents. They seemed cool, though.

I think it was like $70, so I guess it wasn't high in comparison.. I'd just never been to one of those places before.

Lol, I couldn't figure out who you were, or I would've introduced myself. Didn't realize I'd be one of the only losers with my parents there, they felt bad for "cramping my style". Whoops.

shntn
Posts: 5319
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:45 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby shntn » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:53 pm

Xs20 wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:I'm sure it was only relatively absurdly expensive. Those places are regularly $85+/person here, though the better places are $100+.

Also, I would have introduced myself but didn't want to be like "hey, I know you from the internet" infront of your parents. They seemed cool, though.

I think it was like $70, so I guess it wasn't high in comparison.. I'd just never been to one of those places before.

Lol, I couldn't figure out who you were, or I would've introduced myself. Didn't realize I'd be one of the only losers with my parents there, they felt bad for "cramping my style". Whoops.

Well now you know, leave the folks at home.

User avatar
alwayssunnyinfl
Posts: 4100
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:34 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:54 pm

Xs20 wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:I'm sure it was only relatively absurdly expensive. Those places are regularly $85+/person here, though the better places are $100+.

Also, I would have introduced myself but didn't want to be like "hey, I know you from the internet" infront of your parents. They seemed cool, though.

I think it was like $70, so I guess it wasn't high in comparison.. I'd just never been to one of those places before.

Lol, I couldn't figure out who you were, or I would've introduced myself. Didn't realize I'd be one of the only losers with my parents there, they felt bad for "cramping my style". Whoops.

lol, no cramping! It made me kind of wish my dad had been there. Then I remembered how embarrassing my dad is and changed my mind.

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby DoveBodyWash » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:04 am

Updated St. Louis/Kansas City data for post-Recession WUSTL associates
(Last time I post this I promise)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/f76gkf6fwoy9p6p/WUSTL%20Headcount.JPG

Changes/Corrections:
-Includes all 13 of the firms listed for Missouri by NALP and 7 additional firms
-Corrects incorrect count for Bryan Cave. There are 10 associates. Initially thought it was but 12, but two of them got J.D's elsewhere (and got LLM's at WUSTL)
-Deleted all extra info and only includes headcount and comments when relevant

Things to keep in mind:
-Most WUSTL grads don't stay in the area
-There are probably still other firms that aren't accounted for (smaller firms and practices)
-This is a headcount of remaining WUSTL associates since the recession. Doesn't account for those who left voluntarily or were laid-off. The total number of hired WUSTL graduates in the STL/KC area (if we could find out the figure) is probably much higher.
-This was mostly an exercise in curiosity so try to avoid using it as a proxy to extrapolate WUSTL's placement for every other market.

Observations after clicking hundreds of tabs and browsing hundreds of attorney bios all day:

-These firms are generally all very small. Only one office in KC had 300+ lawyers. Every other office was 250 or smaller
-The hype about SLU grads being preferred over WUSTL grads seems slightly overexaggerated. Yes SLU was very well represented, but not as well as WUSTL as far as post-recession associates. Maybe there would be more WUSTL associates if SLU didn't exist or something, but WUSTL was still better represented in general. (Minus Hinshaw & Culbertson)
-Lots of WUSTL partners and a good number of pre-recession associates/counsels

Final Note: I won't be adding any more firms to the comparative spreadsheet for Chicago BigLaw placement. Clicking through 60 firm websites to look up associates from four different schools is exhausting enough :( . And I think 60 firms from one city is a big enough sample size.

User avatar
dproduct
Posts: 4087
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:58 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby dproduct » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:26 am

cusenation wrote:Updated St. Louis/Kansas City data for post-Recession WUSTL associates
(Last time I post this I promise)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/f76gkf6fwoy9p6p/WUSTL%20Headcount.JPG

Changes/Corrections:
-Includes all 13 of the firms listed for Missouri by NALP and 7 additional firms
-Corrects incorrect count for Bryan Cave. There are 10 associates. Initially thought it was but 12, but two of them got J.D's elsewhere (and got LLM's at WUSTL)
-Deleted all extra info and only includes headcount and comments when relevant

Things to keep in mind:
-Most WUSTL grads don't stay in the area
-There are probably still other firms that aren't accounted for (smaller firms and practices)
-This is a headcount of remaining WUSTL associates since the recession. Doesn't account for those who left voluntarily or were laid-off. The total number of hired WUSTL graduates in the STL/KC area (if we could find out the figure) is probably much higher.
-This was mostly an exercise in curiosity so try to avoid using it as a proxy to extrapolate WUSTL's placement for every other market.

Observations after clicking hundreds of tabs and browsing hundreds of attorney bios all day:

-These firms are generally all very small. Only one office in KC had 300+ lawyers. Every other office was 250 or smaller
-The hype about SLU grads being preferred over WUSTL grads seems slightly overexaggerated. Yes SLU was very well represented, but not as well as WUSTL as far as post-recession associates. Maybe there would be more WUSTL associates if SLU didn't exist or something, but WUSTL was still better represented in general. (Minus Hinshaw & Culbertson)
-Lots of WUSTL partners and a good number of pre-recession associates/counsels

Final Note: I won't be adding any more firms to the comparative spreadsheet for Chicago BigLaw placement. Clicking through 60 firm websites to look up associates from four different schools is exhausting enough :( . And I think 60 firms from one city is a big enough sample size.


Bless you, sir.

wannabelawstudent
Posts: 2588
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:33 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby wannabelawstudent » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:31 am

Thank you cuse.....you da man.

User avatar
dproduct
Posts: 4087
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:58 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby dproduct » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:34 am

Anyone else receive contact from a student today?

User avatar
Xs20
Posts: 821
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:03 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby Xs20 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:35 am

dproduct wrote:Anyone else receive contact from a student today?

Nope, what'd they say? Email?

shntn
Posts: 5319
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:45 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby shntn » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:36 am

dproduct wrote:Anyone else receive contact from a student today?

Only people like us.

User avatar
dproduct
Posts: 4087
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:58 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby dproduct » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:37 am

shntn wrote:
dproduct wrote:Anyone else receive contact from a student today?

Only people like us.


:lol: :lol:

What I expected.

Spikedude
Posts: 71
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:12 am

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby Spikedude » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:48 am

.
Last edited by Spikedude on Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

JesusChrist
Posts: 384
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:44 am

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby JesusChrist » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:14 pm

cusenation wrote:Observations after clicking hundreds of tabs and browsing hundreds of attorney bios all day:

-These firms are generally all very small. Only one office in KC had 300+ lawyers. Every other office was 250 or smaller
-The hype about SLU grads being preferred over WUSTL grads seems slightly overexaggerated. Yes SLU was very well represented, but not as well as WUSTL as far as post-recession associates. Maybe there would be more WUSTL associates if SLU didn't exist or something, but WUSTL was still better represented in general. (Minus Hinshaw & Culbertson)



I am thoroughly surprised SLU is able to place grads any where. The term TTT gets tossed around a lot around here, but SLU is about as close as any school can get. Maybe I'm being harsh.

User avatar
alwayssunnyinfl
Posts: 4100
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:34 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:17 pm

JesusChrist wrote:I am thoroughly surprised SLU is able to place grads any where. The term TTT gets tossed around a lot around here, but SLU is about as close as any school can get. Maybe I'm being harsh.


Yeah, you're being harsh. It's not as expensive as a lot of schools, and their medians are respectable enough.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baby Gaga, Google Adsense [Bot], henryyou, Keilz, Thewanderer and 10 guests