WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
wannabelawstudent

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby wannabelawstudent » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:24 pm

andy261 wrote:
wannabelawstudent wrote:
Xs20 wrote:
wannabelawstudent wrote:Can we all be best friends when we go to WUSTL?

I was just telling cuse, I'm gonna yell "HEY BRO YOU GOT IN!!" to you every time I see you in the halls.

That's good cause even if I don't get in, I'm planning on showing up to classes anyways....just remember to pm me your guy's schedule.

Reminds me of the girl who faked her way into Stanford a couple years back:
http://www.paloaltoonline.com/news/show_story.php?id=5120

If I understood the article correctly, she was being charged for staying in the Stanford Dorms, I dont think going to class was considered trespassing (i could be wrong).

Xs20

Postby Xs20 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:24 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote:If I understood the article correctly, she was being charged for staying in the Stanford Dorms, I dont think going to class was considered trespassing (i could be wrong).

Looks like you're golden.

Unoriginalist

Postby Unoriginalist » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:26 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote:If I understood the article correctly, she was being charged for staying in the Stanford Dorms, I dont think going to class was considered trespassing (i could be wrong).

I'm a bit amused that you're thinking about this so thoroughly! haha

Xs20

Postby Xs20 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:32 pm

Show up at the March ASD and just bring your own handwritten name tag.

andy261

Postby andy261 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:38 pm

Xs20 wrote:Show up at the March ASD and just bring your own handwritten name tag.

+1 Also bring a Whole Foods tote. It'll blend right in with the Wash U ones they give out.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:39 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:They budget $13,000 per academic year for room and board. If you divide that by the nine academic months, that's $1400. Even if you apply it to all 12 months, I don't see how you could possibly spend $1,100/month to live there. And that doesn't include the $5k they budget for "personal expenses." That 68k COA figure they quote could easily be cut by several grand.

Yes, there's no reason to have to take out the entire COL allotment. I live here on less than $10K/year (minus the summer). It's not exactly comfortable, but it still allows me to have enough fun. Just be careful with your food budget, and there's no reason you can't do it. Get the free U-Pass so your transportation is free. Then you're left with heat, cell phone, and a couple hundred dollars a month for food. Go grocery shopping at Aldi, and take advantage of the free food on campus when there's events, etc. If you go out to the bars, pre-drink a bit.

There's no reason to put yourself an extra $30K in the hole after graduation by taking out $20K/year in loans.

Xs20

Postby Xs20 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:45 pm

andy261 wrote:
Xs20 wrote:Show up at the March ASD and just bring your own handwritten name tag.

+1 Also bring a Whole Foods tote. It'll blend right in with the Wash U ones they give out.

LOLed :lol:

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:18 pm

JCougar wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:They budget $13,000 per academic year for room and board. If you divide that by the nine academic months, that's $1400. Even if you apply it to all 12 months, I don't see how you could possibly spend $1,100/month to live there. And that doesn't include the $5k they budget for "personal expenses." That 68k COA figure they quote could easily be cut by several grand.

Yes, there's no reason to have to take out the entire COL allotment. I live here on less than $10K/year (minus the summer). It's not exactly comfortable, but it still allows me to have enough fun. Just be careful with your food budget, and there's no reason you can't do it. Get the free U-Pass so your transportation is free. Then you're left with heat, cell phone, and a couple hundred dollars a month for food. Go grocery shopping at Aldi, and take advantage of the free food on campus when there's events, etc. If you go out to the bars, pre-drink a bit.

There's no reason to put yourself an extra $30K in the hole after graduation by taking out $20K/year in loans.

Aldi's the only thing that got me through a particular summer in Germany. <3

Also, I love my tote bag.

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:28 pm

Just a heads up to everyone,

Out of my frustration of not being able to find satisfactory placement data (not just for WUSTL, but for every school), I started going through the attorney profiles of firms to literally count how many WUSTL associates there are in each of them.

(Been having to search WashU Law, WashU in St. Louis, and WashU in St. Louis School of Law in the search bars just because people phrase the school differently...and some firms don't differentiate between undergrad and law school when they made their search bars)

Using http://www.lawfirmstats.com/ to see how many firms (or offices of firms) there are in Missouri and Illinois (Supposedly WUSTL's two strongest markets)

Then using the "Professional Search by School" to count how many WUSTL associates there are. I'm only counting associates who got their J.D.'s in 2008 and later.

Not counting the Partners since school pedigree doesn't seem to matter for shit for partnership selections, and not counting anyone who graduated before the recession, just because it's not relevant to us anymore.

Will be organizing data by Firm and by State into a spreadsheet, which I'll post when I'm done.

Preview:
Thompson Coburn has 14 WUSTL associates who graduated in 2008 or later
SNR Denton has 7
Bryan Cave has 9

There are 33 firms in Missouri and 103 in Illinois.* So this will take me awhile, but I should be done by early March, which is when people need to start making real decisions.

*According to http://www.lawfirmstats.com/

Hopefully this will give us a better picture of WUSTL's placement power in Missouri/Illinois as far as private-sector jobs.

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:32 pm

cusenation wrote:Just a heads up to everyone,

Out of my frustration of not being able to find satisfactory placement data (not just for WUSTL, but for every school), I started going through the attorney profiles of firms to literally count how many WUSTL associates there are in each of them.

(Been having to search WashU Law, WashU in St. Louis, and WashU in St. Louis School of Law in the search bars just because people phrase the school differently...and some firms don't differentiate between undergrad and law school when they made their search bars)

Using http://www.lawfirmstats.com/ to see how many firms (or offices of firms) there are in Missouri and Illinois (Supposedly WUSTL's two strongest markets)

Then using the "Professional Search by School" to count how many WUSTL associates there are. I'm only counting associates who got their J.D.'s in 2008 and later.

Not counting the Partners since school pedigree doesn't seem to matter for shit for partnership selections, and not counting anyone who graduated before the recession, just because it's not relevant to us anymore.

Will be organizing data by Firm and by State into a spreadsheet, which I'll post when I'm done.

Preview:
SNR Denton has 7
Bryan Cave has 9

There are 33 firms in Missouri and 103 in Illinois.* So this will take me awhile, but I should be done by early March, which is when people need to start making real decisions.

Hopefully this will give us a better picture of WUSTL's placement power in Missouri/Illinois as far as private-sector jobs.

Great info!! Thanks!!

andy261

Postby andy261 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:41 pm

Preview:
SNR Denton has 7
Bryan Cave has 9

You are a god among men.

But seriously this is a great idea. The partner at my office actually suggested I do this for my target markets to get a sense of what schools local offices like to hire from.

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:42 pm

andy261 wrote:

Preview:
SNR Denton has 7
Bryan Cave has 9

You are a god among men.

But seriously this is a great idea. The partner at my office actually suggested I do this for my target markets to get a sense of what schools local offices like to hire from.

If the schools won't release the data, then we'll get it ourselves!

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:47 pm

cusenation wrote:
andy261 wrote:

Preview:
SNR Denton has 7
Bryan Cave has 9

You are a god among men.

If the schools won't release the data, then we'll get it ourselves!

Can you explain how you got to the school info? I went to the website but can't seem to get there. All I see are atucal firm ratings and then %s women/gay/URM etc.

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:48 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
Can you explain how you got to the school info? I went to the website but can't seem to get there. All I see are atucal firm ratings and then %s women/gay/URM etc.

I'm just using lawfirmstats to get the names of the firms. Then I'm going to each firm's website individually to find the headcount

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:53 pm

cusenation wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:

I'm just using lawfirmstats to get the names of the firms. Then I'm going to each firm's website individually to find the headcount

Oh okay,
Although under the 'lawyers' tab you can go in and put a school name and grad year to find specific lawyers who graduated from the school. I never heard of the site. Does it house all firms or just the top 250

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:16 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
cusenation wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:

Oh okay,
Although under the 'lawyers' tab you can go in and put a school name and grad year to find specific lawyers who graduated from the school. I never heard of the site. Does it house all firms or just the top 250

Yeah I tried that, and it doesn't seem to work consistently with every firm. So i just opted to go for the slower yet more reliable method.

The website claims to have info on 700+ firms. I'm not sure what the criteria was for inclusion but I get the sense that profitability was a big part of it. As far as I'm concerned, the firms that are listed in this database are the ones that are solvent enough to actually hire people... There's no reliable way to look up/interpret data on solo practices so I just decided to disregard those for now

shntn

Postby shntn » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:17 pm

Ambitious undertaking, cuse. Golf clap.

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:19 pm

Cuse if you need help pm me. We can spilt some of the work until I get rejected.

soccerfreak

Postby soccerfreak » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:23 pm

nalpdirectory.com is very useful for researching firms.

dproduct

Postby dproduct » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:35 pm

Cuse, you're a beast. Bless you.

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:56 pm

My incomplete analysis of WUSTL's Private Sector Employment in Missouri
(Final spreadsheet will be uploaded once I finish the comparative analysis of WUSTL, ND, UIUC, and NU)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6is5ugt1mtcspbn/WUSTL%20MO%20Placement.JPG

Summary and Comments:
-Counted WUSTL associates in 16 major firms. Either based in Missouri or has an office in Missouri
-Listed salary/total number of offices information for firms with 5 or more WUSTL associates
-Only counted associates who graduated in 2008 or later.
-Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP does not like WUSTL very much...
- "# Outside Midwest" means the number of WUSTL associates who were based in an office outside the Midwest. But these were mostly Midwestern firms so some of them didn't even have offices in other regions
-I know there are probably more (smaller) firms in the state and St. Louis/Kansas City area. But these were the firms that seemed large enough to actually hire new associates in this economy..I'm also not from St. Louis and I'm an 0L so I don't know every firm out there..
-The note about bolded/italicized firms was so I could remember which firms not to double-count when doing the Chicago analysis later

Coming soon...
-Analysis of 60 firms in Chicago that pay six-figure starting salary (between 110K-160K)
-Includes Chicago-based firms (i.e...Kirkland & Ellis) and major firms with Chicago offices (i.e. Skadden)
-Comparing headcounts of associates who graduated in 2008 or later from WUSTL, Notre Dame, Illinois, and Northwestern.
-ONLY ASSOCIATES WHO ARE BASED IN CHICAGO ARE BEING COUNTED. So if they're a K&E associate or something and is based in NYC then they're not gonna be included.
-Finished 25% of the firms so far. Single digits numbers (or zero) for all four schools..minus 11 associates at Baker & Mackenzie from Northwestern.
-Chicago in general looks like a blood bath..I searched multiple times pretty often because "No Results" kept popping up and I was sure that I did something wrong..

shntn

Postby shntn » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:09 pm

Wow, I will totally scour this after I finish watching House of Cards. Thank you brother cuse!

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:20 pm

shntn wrote:Wow, I will totally scour this after I finish watching House of Cards. Thank you brother cuse!

Re house of cards - awesome show!! Watched all the eps in two days

shntn

Postby shntn » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:22 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
shntn wrote:Wow, I will totally scour this after I finish watching House of Cards. Thank you brother cuse!

<-- calls in sick tomorrow to beat jayjones's record.

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:43 pm

shntn wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:

<-- calls in sick tomorrow to beat jayjones's record.

Valid reason to not go to work! 8)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”