WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
andy261
Posts: 405
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:50 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby andy261 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:42 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:Looking at apartments on Craigslist. I just, I still don't think these prices are real. Almost everything is less than half of what you'd pay for the same apartment in Miami.

+1 Those guys were paying less for a 4 bedroom standalone house than my studio in SF. Also

Image

User avatar
alwayssunnyinfl
Posts: 4100
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:34 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:43 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
cusenation wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:Looking at apartments on Craigslist. I just, I still don't think these prices are real. Almost everything is less than half of what you'd pay for the same apartment in Miami.


Yeah the lower living costs are a huge plus in the WUSTL column..Padmapper is also a pretty reliable site if you're looking for housing :)


and if you compare it to COL in Lexington for W&L it even blows minds even more.

related: WUSTL vs. W&L
are they peer schools at all? ranking wise they are very similar, any thoughts?


No.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=washu

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=wl

ETA: A more substantial answer: I considered W&L because I liked the way they sell themselves and they're known for decent scholarships. Also, I'm from the South and wouldn't mind coming back here. However, I've spoken to a few attorneys here in Miami, and they know WUSTl, they know UMN, but when I asked about Washington and Lee they had no clue.

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby DoveBodyWash » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:54 pm

.
Last edited by DoveBodyWash on Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
JayJones78
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby JayJones78 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:55 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
cusenation wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:Looking at apartments on Craigslist. I just, I still don't think these prices are real. Almost everything is less than half of what you'd pay for the same apartment in Miami.


Yeah the lower living costs are a huge plus in the WUSTL column..Padmapper is also a pretty reliable site if you're looking for housing :)


and if you compare it to COL in Lexington for W&L it even blows minds even more.

related: WUSTL vs. W&L
are they peer schools at all? ranking wise they are very similar, any thoughts?


No.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=washu

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=wl

ETA: A more substantial answer: I considered W&L because I liked the way they sell themselves and they're known for decent scholarships. Also, I'm from the South and wouldn't mind coming back here. However, I've spoken to a few attorneys here in Miami, and they know WUSTl, they know UMN, but when I asked about Washington and Lee they had no clue.


Interesting. I have no desire to live or work in Miami and it appears that W&L still has a name for itself in NYC. I was also kind of surprised to find it at #25 or so in the NJL250. I wanted to bring this up because from the pure ranking perspective they are very close.

User avatar
alwayssunnyinfl
Posts: 4100
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:34 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:57 pm

JayJones78 wrote:Interesting. I have no desire to live or work in Miami and it appears that W&L still has a name for itself in NYC. I was also kind of surprised to find it at #25 or so in the NJL250. I wanted to bring this up because from the pure ranking perspective they are very close.


I don't know if you could bank on that. While the rankings are similar and the employment statistics, on the surface, seem similar, dig a little deeper and you find pretty big differences. WUSTL's large firm and public sector placement is marginally better (5% and 7% better) but WUSTL had almost no school-funded positions. Also, their salary statistics are much higher (although there are documented flaws in the way they collect those.)

As cuse pointed out, they are very different schools in very different markets, but all other costs equal, I would go to WUSTL because I would rather be in the Midwest than rural Virginia.
Last edited by alwayssunnyinfl on Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby DoveBodyWash » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:58 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
Interesting. I have no desire to live or work in Miami and it appears that W&L still has a name for itself in NYC. I was also kind of surprised to find it at #25 or so in the NJL250. I wanted to bring this up because from the pure ranking perspective they are very close.


They tend to place (or try to place) in completely different markets, so I'm not sure if you could consider them true peers. Rankings-wise they're currently right on top of each other.. But remember that WUSTL had a down year (moved from 18 to 23) and W&L had a great year (30 to 24). So the narrow rankings gap from we see now is probably misleading as far as the caliber of their respective applicant pools. For example WUSTL's medians (at all three points) are higher..so they probably don't really compete over the same group of applicants.

But still, I could see you being able to leverage the schools against each other for scholarship negotiations.

User avatar
Crowing
Posts: 2636
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby Crowing » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:01 pm

USNWR is sort of a proxy for GPA/LSAT medians and peer/lawyer reputation, but that's it. It's completely useless as far as determining outcomes. Even when using LST, remember than the overall employment score is also not necessarily useful information depending on where you want to work.

User avatar
JayJones78
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby JayJones78 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:16 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:Interesting. I have no desire to live or work in Miami and it appears that W&L still has a name for itself in NYC. I was also kind of surprised to find it at #25 or so in the NJL250. I wanted to bring this up because from the pure ranking perspective they are very close.


I don't know if you could bank on that. While the rankings are similar and the employment statistics, on the surface, seem similar, dig a little deeper and you find pretty big differences. WUSTL's large firm and public sector placement is marginally better (5% and 7% better) but WUSTL had almost no school-funded positions. Also, their salary statistics are much higher (although there are documented flaws in the way they collect those.)

As cuse pointed out, they are very different schools in very different markets, but all other costs equal, I would go to WUSTL because I would rather be in the Midwest than rural Virginia.


you see I disagree there. I don't know what I'll rather do at this point. I was accepted to W&L and still waiting to hear from WUSTL but for me STL is not the draw, the draw is the school itself. If I choose to go there it's because I believe the school is good choice and fit for me. The fact that they place in completely different markets is a given, but as far biglaw jobs I'm not sure they are different. Plus, if we are talking clerkships I keep hearing from people that W&L is a clear contender when talking about schools in the 20s

wannabelawstudent
Posts: 2588
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:33 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby wannabelawstudent » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:18 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:Interesting. I have no desire to live or work in Miami and it appears that W&L still has a name for itself in NYC. I was also kind of surprised to find it at #25 or so in the NJL250. I wanted to bring this up because from the pure ranking perspective they are very close.


I don't know if you could bank on that. While the rankings are similar and the employment statistics, on the surface, seem similar, dig a little deeper and you find pretty big differences. WUSTL's large firm and public sector placement is marginally better (5% and 7% better) but WUSTL had almost no school-funded positions. Also, their salary statistics are much higher (although there are documented flaws in the way they collect those.)

As cuse pointed out, they are very different schools in very different markets, but all other costs equal, I would go to WUSTL because I would rather be in the Midwest than rural Virginia.


you see I disagree there. I don't know what I'll rather do at this point. I was accepted to W&L and still waiting to hear from WUSTL but for me STL is not the draw, the draw is the school itself. If I choose to go there it's because I believe the school is good choice and fit for me. The fact that they place in completely different markets is a given, but as far biglaw jobs I'm not sure they are different. Plus, if we are talking clerkships I keep hearing from people that W&L is a clear contender when talking about schools in the 20s


You guys are all wrong, TCR is WUSTL is the best. #1 yo.

User avatar
alwayssunnyinfl
Posts: 4100
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:34 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:24 pm

JayJones78 wrote:you see I disagree there. I don't know what I'll rather do at this point. I was accepted to W&L and still waiting to hear from WUSTL but for me STL is not the draw, the draw is the school itself. If I choose to go there it's because I believe the school is good choice and fit for me. The fact that they place in completely different markets is a given, but as far biglaw jobs I'm not sure they are different. Plus, if we are talking clerkships I keep hearing from people that W&L is a clear contender when talking about schools in the 20s

For 2011, WUSTL had 12 Fed clerks and W&L had 10. It just looks like a lot more because W&L class is super tiny. I don't know their current numbers, but I doubt they have cut their size below 120, but WUSTL's has come down from 240 to 200-something.

However, it's a pretty marginal difference. And I was referring to how I'd rather end up in a city in the Midwest over a city in rural Virginia if I don't get a job back in Florida, not necessarily where I want to spend 3 years.

(I'm not saying W&L is a bad choice at all, especially at the right price.)

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby DoveBodyWash » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:25 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:Interesting. I have no desire to live or work in Miami and it appears that W&L still has a name for itself in NYC. I was also kind of surprised to find it at #25 or so in the NJL250. I wanted to bring this up because from the pure ranking perspective they are very close.


I don't know if you could bank on that. While the rankings are similar and the employment statistics, on the surface, seem similar, dig a little deeper and you find pretty big differences. WUSTL's large firm and public sector placement is marginally better (5% and 7% better) but WUSTL had almost no school-funded positions. Also, their salary statistics are much higher (although there are documented flaws in the way they collect those.)

As cuse pointed out, they are very different schools in very different markets, but all other costs equal, I would go to WUSTL because I would rather be in the Midwest than rural Virginia.


you see I disagree there. I don't know what I'll rather do at this point. I was accepted to W&L and still waiting to hear from WUSTL but for me STL is not the draw, the draw is the school itself. If I choose to go there it's because I believe the school is good choice and fit for me. The fact that they place in completely different markets is a given, but as far biglaw jobs I'm not sure they are different. Plus, if we are talking clerkships I keep hearing from people that W&L is a clear contender when talking about schools in the 20s


It sounds like school-fit and job placement takes precedence over location for you, which I agree with for the most part. I could see why W&L would do better for clerkships since it's closer to DC and other jurisdictions that may have more clerkships openings. But consider this:

According to LST (lets assume it's reliable), for the Class of 2011:

WashU sent 3.8% to clerkships and W&L sent 7.8%

But WashU's Class of 2011 was 317 students, whereas W&L was 129

So while W&L sent a higher percentage to clerkships, WashU sent more actual students into clerkships

(WashU sent 12 and W&L sent 10)

Now, is 12 much better than 10? No absolutely not. My point is that W&L's clerkship placement can seem misleadingly higher if you're just looking at percentages. Also remember that many lawyers go do clerkships after they've practiced for a year or two in BigLaw or some other private sector position. Which school will give you a better chance at getting into private practice? (I dunno, but something you should consider)

Ultimately I think the final choice will come down to debt and your career preferences, they're both good schools =)

EDIT: Damn..Sunny beat me to it haha

User avatar
JayJones78
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby JayJones78 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:31 pm

cusenation wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:Interesting. I have no desire to live or work in Miami and it appears that W&L still has a name for itself in NYC. I was also kind of surprised to find it at #25 or so in the NJL250. I wanted to bring this up because from the pure ranking perspective they are very close.


I don't know if you could bank on that. While the rankings are similar and the employment statistics, on the surface, seem similar, dig a little deeper and you find pretty big differences. WUSTL's large firm and public sector placement is marginally better (5% and 7% better) but WUSTL had almost no school-funded positions. Also, their salary statistics are much higher (although there are documented flaws in the way they collect those.)

As cuse pointed out, they are very different schools in very different markets, but all other costs equal, I would go to WUSTL because I would rather be in the Midwest than rural Virginia.




you see I disagree there. I don't know what I'll rather do at this point. I was accepted to W&L and still waiting to hear from WUSTL but for me STL is not the draw, the draw is the school itself. If I choose to go there it's because I believe the school is good choice and fit for me. The fact that they place in completely different markets is a given, but as far biglaw jobs I'm not sure they are different. Plus, if we are talking clerkships I keep hearing from people that W&L is a clear contender when talking about schools in the 20s


It sounds like school-fit and job placement takes precedence over location for you, which I agree with for the most part. I could see why W&L would do better for clerkships since it's closer to DC and other jurisdictions that may have more clerkships openings. But consider this:

According to LST (lets assume it's reliable), for the Class of 2011:

WashU sent 3.8% to clerkships and W&L sent 7.8%

But WashU's Class of 2011 was 317 students, whereas W&L was 129

So while W&L sent a higher percentage to clerkships, WashU sent more actual students into clerkships

(WashU sent 12 and W&L sent 10)

Now, is 12 much better than 10? No absolutely not. My point is that W&L's clerkship placement can seem misleadingly higher if you're just looking at percentages. Also remember that many lawyers go do clerkships after they've practiced for a year or two in BigLaw or some other private sector position. Which school will give you a better chance at getting into private practice? (I dunno, but something you should consider)

Ultimately I think the final choice will come down to debt and your career preferences, they're both good schools =)

EDIT: Damn..Sunny beat me to it haha


I agree. For me, I don't one is better than the other they are just different fits. But since W&L already took me and wash u still haven't i guess I'll wait and see.
For me the small class and even rual VA is def not a draw back

User avatar
alwayssunnyinfl
Posts: 4100
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:34 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:32 pm

When you get in, go to ASD. You will never look back.

User avatar
Xs20
Posts: 821
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:03 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby Xs20 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:33 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:When you get in, go to ASD. You will never look back.

+1. ASD pretty much sealed it for me.

wannabelawstudent
Posts: 2588
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:33 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby wannabelawstudent » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:35 pm

Can we all be best friends when we go to WUSTL?

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby DoveBodyWash » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:36 pm

JayJones78 wrote:For me the small class and even rual VA is def not a draw back


+1

Small class is def plus in this economy...

Xs20 wrote:+1. ASD pretty much sealed it for me.


For me it was the fact that their law building is called Anheuser Busch Hall

User avatar
JayJones78
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby JayJones78 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:36 pm

Xs20 wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:When you get in, go to ASD. You will never look back.

+1. ASD pretty much sealed it for me.


From your keyboard to the eyes and ears of the lovely people in STL :oops:

User avatar
JayJones78
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby JayJones78 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:37 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote:Can we all be best friends when we go to WUSTL?


+1

User avatar
alwayssunnyinfl
Posts: 4100
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:34 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:38 pm

cusenation wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:For me the small class and even rual VA is def not a draw back


+1

Small class is def plus in this economy...

Xs20 wrote:+1. ASD pretty much sealed it for me.


For me it was the fact that their law building is called Anheuser Busch Hall

To avoid this whole Washington University/University of Washington/George Washington University confusion, we should just start calling it "Anheuser Busch School of Law"

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby DoveBodyWash » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:43 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
cusenation wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:For me the small class and even rual VA is def not a draw back


+1

Small class is def plus in this economy...

Xs20 wrote:+1. ASD pretty much sealed it for me.


For me it was the fact that their law building is called Anheuser Busch Hall

To avoid this whole Washington University/University of Washington/George Washington University confusion, we should just start calling it "Anheuser Busch School of Law"


Maybe we could get InBev to subsidize tuition, or at least come to interview 8)

I'm trying to guess if the school would be furious or amused if our class showed up on campus wearing "Anheuser Busch Law" t-shirts with clydesdales on the back. I could cross "Get featured on ATL" off my bucket list

User avatar
andy261
Posts: 405
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:50 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby andy261 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:05 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote:Can we all be best friends when we go to WUSTL?

:)

User avatar
Xs20
Posts: 821
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:03 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby Xs20 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:16 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote:Can we all be best friends when we go to WUSTL?

I was just telling cuse, I'm gonna yell "HEY BRO YOU GOT IN!!" to you every time I see you in the halls.

wannabelawstudent
Posts: 2588
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:33 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby wannabelawstudent » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:18 pm

Xs20 wrote:
wannabelawstudent wrote:Can we all be best friends when we go to WUSTL?

I was just telling cuse, I'm gonna yell "HEY BRO YOU GOT IN!!" to you every time I see you in the halls.

That's good cause even if I don't get in, I'm planning on showing up to classes anyways....just remember to pm me your guy's schedule.

User avatar
andy261
Posts: 405
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:50 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby andy261 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:21 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote:
Xs20 wrote:
wannabelawstudent wrote:Can we all be best friends when we go to WUSTL?

I was just telling cuse, I'm gonna yell "HEY BRO YOU GOT IN!!" to you every time I see you in the halls.

That's good cause even if I don't get in, I'm planning on showing up to classes anyways....just remember to pm me your guy's schedule.

Reminds me of the girl who faked her way into Stanford a couple years back:
http://www.paloaltoonline.com/news/show_story.php?id=5120

User avatar
Crowing
Posts: 2636
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Postby Crowing » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:23 pm

andy261 wrote:
wannabelawstudent wrote:
Xs20 wrote:
wannabelawstudent wrote:Can we all be best friends when we go to WUSTL?

I was just telling cuse, I'm gonna yell "HEY BRO YOU GOT IN!!" to you every time I see you in the halls.

That's good cause even if I don't get in, I'm planning on showing up to classes anyways....just remember to pm me your guy's schedule.

Reminds me of the girl who faked her way into Stanford a couple years back:
http://www.paloaltoonline.com/news/show_story.php?id=5120


lol i was just looking for that article in response. fucking scooped.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”