WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
RedGiant

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Post by RedGiant » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:52 pm

Alumni news. Or rather news written by an alum:

http://jezebel.com/how-an-insane-texas- ... -511717880

crossingfingers

Bronze

Post by crossingfingers » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:14 pm

I visited campus for the first time today. So, so impressive. I had a great (and informative) tour of the building with Ms. McHugh and then a quick meeting with Director Orr, who was totally candid about the waitlist/financial aid situation. Visiting definitely just made this an even tougher wait. Good luck, fellow waiters!

MinkiTaro

New

Post by MinkiTaro » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:25 am

crossingfingers wrote:I visited campus for the first time today. So, so impressive. I had a great (and informative) tour of the building with Ms. McHugh and then a quick meeting with Director Orr, who was totally candid about the waitlist/financial aid situation. Visiting definitely just made this an even tougher wait. Good luck, fellow waiters!
Ah, wonderful! Anything new we should know?

jdmonkey

Bronze

Post by jdmonkey » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:25 pm

Anybody doing the housing tour next week? USC came calling last week but I stayed true to Wash U. Can't wait for August.

purpledrink

New

Post by purpledrink » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:38 pm

Any other movement on the wait list?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LawSchoolAFROBarbie

New

Post by LawSchoolAFROBarbie » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:49 am

Would love to go on the housing tour, however im still in south africa. dont think ill hit the us til early august. people from out of state or country how are you going about finding apartments? ive been hitting up craiglist really hard however without seeing the actual place or the neighborhood im at a loss. Anyone have any ideas?

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:13 am

LawSchoolAFROBarbie wrote:Would love to go on the housing tour, however im still in south africa. dont think ill hit the us til early august. people from out of state or country how are you going about finding apartments? ive been hitting up craiglist really hard however without seeing the actual place or the neighborhood im at a loss. Anyone have any ideas?
Do you mean that you're having a hard time seeing what neighborhood the properties are in? Or that you can't find any in your neighborhood? If it's the first, you can choose to view the search results on a map so u can see where they're located.

I used a mixture of hotpads.com , padmapper.com , and Craigslist. I know the school owns some properties and rents them out via Quadrangle Housing, but they didn't have many three bedroom options so I never really used it.

LawSchoolAFROBarbie

New

Post by LawSchoolAFROBarbie » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:45 am

cusenation wrote:
LawSchoolAFROBarbie wrote:Would love to go on the housing tour, however im still in south africa. dont think ill hit the us til early august. people from out of state or country how are you going about finding apartments? ive been hitting up craiglist really hard however without seeing the actual place or the neighborhood im at a loss. Anyone have any ideas?
Do you mean that you're having a hard time seeing what neighborhood the properties are in? Or that you can't find any in your neighborhood? If it's the first, you can choose to view the search results on a map so u can see where they're located.

I used a mixture of hotpads.com , padmapper.com , and Craigslist. I know the school owns some properties and rents them out via Quadrangle Housing, but they didn't have many three bedroom options so I never really used it.

Sorry i should clarify- Ive never been to st louis so its hard to decide what area I would like to live in. ive read all the descriptions about the various areas (clayton,u-city,cwe.....) but still i feel disadvantaged since ive never actually seen any of them. Im leaning toward U-CITY because its walking distance of the school and ive heard many other students live around there.

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:53 am

LawSchoolAFROBarbie wrote:
cusenation wrote:

Sorry i should clarify- Ive never been to st louis so its hard to decide what area I would like to live in. ive read all the descriptions about the various areas (clayton,u-city,cwe.....) but still i feel disadvantaged since ive never actually seen any of them. Im leaning toward U-CITY because its walking distance of the school and ive heard many other students live around there.
paging Xs20, Homelandisagreatshow, and Dougfunny for this one...i know they've all seen some of the neighborhoods or are STL natives.

ETA: You could also try asking your questions here
http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 4&t=130775

FWIW I think it'll come down to what kind of scene you're looking for. U-City has a lot of undergrads, is on the cheaper end and is closer to campus.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dougfunny

New

Post by dougfunny » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:05 am

cusenation wrote:
LawSchoolAFROBarbie wrote:
cusenation wrote:

paging Xs20, Homelandisagreatshow, and Dougfunny for this one...i know they've all seen some of the neighborhoods or are STL natives.

ETA: You could also try asking your questions here
http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 4&t=130775

FWIW I think it'll come down to what kind of scene you're looking for. U-City has a lot of undergrads, is on the cheaper end and is closer to campus.
I think that all of those areas can be great to live in but also likely have some parts of them that you might prefer not to. If you find a particular place, I would ask either here or over in http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 4&t=130775 and see what people say. Or if you want to PM someone, I am sure they will be happy to answer any questions as well. Also, the facebook group has some people in it looking for housing and roommates. I am not sure if you are in the group or interested in living with anyone but that may be another way to find some housing.

Birdnals

Gold

Post by Birdnals » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:09 am

LawSchoolAFROBarbie wrote: Sorry i should clarify- Ive never been to st louis so its hard to decide what area I would like to live in. ive read all the descriptions about the various areas (clayton,u-city,cwe.....) but still i feel disadvantaged since ive never actually seen any of them. Im leaning toward U-CITY because its walking distance of the school and ive heard many other students live around there.

Here is a pretty good breakdown of the neighborhoods students often live and the blog in general has some useful info if you have some time to kill.

http://law.wustl.edu/admissions/lifeasweknowit/?p=202

Homelandsagreatshow

Bronze

Post by Homelandsagreatshow » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:45 pm

It's really going to come down to what you value most in a living environment, so for the sake of the way my brain is functioning right now, I'm just going to make a numbered list of some "tidbits" to keep in mind (both things that I noticed when visiting STL and things I've read about).

1. The three most popular areas are Clayton, University City, and the CWE. In a nutshell, Clayton has its own little suburban town feel, although, I saw some nice restaurants, bars, etc while I was there. Clayton probably has the least housing out of the three, but I would say that, judging from what I perceived, it's definitely the safest (none of the places are necessarily unsafe though), and depending on where you live, it can be EXTREMELY close to campus.
University City is where the majority of the students from WashU live, and as a result, theres a lot going on. As a second result, it's going to have a more "undergraduate" feel, and will almost certainly be louder Thursday-Sunday. This may not be a problem for you depending on where you live, but it's something to keep in mind. I will say though, there are a LOT of bars and "cheaper" eats in the loop/UCity, which is awesome (on one block there were literally 5 Thai restaurants, I kid you not).
CWE is located closer to the Med School and is definitely a BIT of an older "graduate" crowd. Once again, a great selection of restaurants and bars, with the food places falling on the more expensive side (only compared to the Loop, and only in general).

2. Its important to keep in mind that while University City is the "closest" to campus, all of the 3 locations are within like, 1 or 2 miles of the school (with a few exceptions) and as a result, getting to and from class isn't difficult. If you bring a car, it's cake, and if you don't you can bike, walk, or take the Metro--all students get a free pass.

3. Before I visited STL, I kept reading that north of Delmar begins to get pretty sketchy, and this is what I perceived when I visited the city as well. You'll see a TON of apartments available on craigslist/padmapper/hotpads above Delmar, and I would probably be hesitant to rent one of these places sight-unseen. You'll notice that they're surprisingly cheap, and a large reason is that crimes are much more prevalent in those areas. Also from just driving around, theres a pretty obvious distinction in street/business/restaurant upkeep north and south of Delmar.

4. As an out-of-towner AND 1L, there were a number of things I just didn't want to deal with:
-I wanted to be in a location that gave me the ability to escape the "college" feel, without losing the ability to go out to restaurants/bars when I wanted to
-I didn't want to worry about my landlord screwing me over, not fixing things, etc. As a result I didn't rent a private place off of CL
-I didn't want to take a risk living in an apt in an area that I knew could be shady. As far as I'm concerned, there's enough places that are constantly coming on the market BELOW delmar, that it's just an unnecessary risk until you get a better feel of the city. Would I feel unsafe? No, I've lived in some shady places, but is it worth it, especially during the most important school year of your career? Nah.

I personally chose the CWE, although I think all three of the places could be great to live in. If you want to live with roommates, ESPECIALLY 3+, the places look to be filling up rather fast, however there are TONS of singles all throughout every part of the city. I would personally stick to hotpads.com/padmapper.com and only use craigslist to find apts that are immediately coming on the market (might want to avoid the hassle of dealing directly with an owner and stick to companies). So, once again, I'd personally use craigslist to find places coming on the market, and then only deal with the places that have a number of tenants. This way you can also get reviews of the places.

Feel free to PM me with any questions

See ya in the fall

sideoffries

New

Post by sideoffries » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:39 pm

Did anyone else get an email saying that some scholarship funds have opened up and they are offering you a full ride? I withdrew months ago.
We are excited to announce that additional scholarship funds have become available. As an outstanding applicant, Washington University School of Law is able to offer you a full tuition scholarship of $48,345 for your first year of law school with the same amount guaranteed for your 2L and 3L years for a total of $145,035 for the three years of law school.

We can only keep this opportunity open for 24 hours because these funds are limited. If you are interested in accepting this offer and matriculating at Washington U Law this year, you will need to let us know by June 13, 5pm CT.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. We look forward to hearing from you and seeing you here this fall!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:44 pm

WUSTL wrote:We are excited to announce that additional scholarship funds have become available. we took some kids off the WL who are now paying sticker.
WUSTL wrote:We can only keep this opportunity open for 24 hours because these funds are limited. there are X number of ppl we're waiting to make this same offer to
sideoffries wrote: I withdrew months ago.
This is ridiculous. Congrats on the offer, this isn't a knock on you. But this just reeks of desperation on the part of WUSTL and it's actually sort of aggravating. Yeah i realize it's a game and they have target medians to reach, but seriously this is embarrassing.
Last edited by DoveBodyWash on Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sideoffries

New

Post by sideoffries » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:47 pm

cusenation wrote:
WUSTL wrote:We are excited to announce that additional scholarship funds have become available. we took some kids off the WL who are now paying sticker.
WUSTL wrote:We can only keep this opportunity open for 24 hours because these funds are limited. there are X number of ppl we're waiting to make this same offer to
sideoffries wrote: I withdrew months ago.
This is ridiculous. Congrats on the offer, this isn't a knock on you. But this just reeks of desperation on the part of WUSTL and it's actually sort of aggravating. Yeah i realize it's a game and they have target medians to reach, but seriously this is rather humiliating.
I agree it's very desperate considering I withdrew months ago. I'm an STL native and should have been offered the full ride from the beginning based on my stats.

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:48 pm

/vent

wooozah...

nowhammies

New

Post by nowhammies » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:54 pm

sideoffries wrote:Did anyone else get an email saying that some scholarship funds have opened up and they are offering you a full ride? I withdrew months ago.
We are excited to announce that additional scholarship funds have become available. As an outstanding applicant, Washington University School of Law is able to offer you a full tuition scholarship of $48,345 for your first year of law school with the same amount guaranteed for your 2L and 3L years for a total of $145,035 for the three years of law school.

We can only keep this opportunity open for 24 hours because these funds are limited. If you are interested in accepting this offer and matriculating at Washington U Law this year, you will need to let us know by June 13, 5pm CT.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. We look forward to hearing from you and seeing you here this fall!
I received this same email today. Also withdrew months ago. What's the deal? Give that money out to deserving candidates who have committed already.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

shifty_eyed

Gold

Post by shifty_eyed » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:08 pm

I got an email today too after withdrawing over a month ago, but not even for full tuition. :|

Xs20

Silver

Post by Xs20 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:12 pm

Did those emails come from one William R. LaFleur II, by any chance?

(just kidding)

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:14 pm

Xs20 wrote:Did those emails come from one William R. LaFleur II, by any chance?

(just kidding)

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:49 pm

OMG.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Dolphine

Bronze

Post by Dolphine » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:51 pm

cusenation wrote:OMG.

lhanvt13

Gold

Post by lhanvt13 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:54 pm

Xs20 wrote:Did those emails come from one William R. LaFleur II, by any chance?

(just kidding)
This is gold . How did I miss this

Dolphine

Bronze

Post by Dolphine » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:56 pm

This has got to be a mistake right?

Xs20

Silver

Post by Xs20 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:01 pm

cusenation wrote:OMG.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”