WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
DoveBodyWash

Gold

Re: Eternal, Never Off the First Page, WUSTL is the Best Thread.

Post by DoveBodyWash » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:26 am

Purplebook wrote:Any updates on when scholarship aid information might make its way to people's inboxes?
It will depend on your numbers and when you applied, but mostly numbers

T20hopeful89

Bronze

Post by T20hopeful89 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:28 pm

I posted this on the fordham thread, but will do here, as well, since these are the two schools I'm still debating. Is there a general consensus on double depositing? I will likely be depositing in a couple places to buy myself extra time to decide and negotiate further. Is there a down side to that, assuming I'll only be doing one second seat deposit (aka I'd withdraw from any other place by that time)?

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:32 pm

T20hopeful89 wrote:I posted this on the fordham thread, but will do here, as well, since these are the two schools I'm still debating. Is there a general consensus on double depositing? I will likely be depositing in a couple places to buy myself extra time to decide and negotiate further. Is there a down side to that, assuming I'll only be doing one second seat deposit (aka I'd withdraw from any other place by that time)?
This is actually a fairly standard practice among TLS-ers. The only thing you'd be losing is the deposit money, but i know at least WUSTL will refund your first deposit if you withdraw by may 1. FWIW I think the deposit money is worth it if you think it's likely that you'll get a scholly increase from double depositing.

ptorsten13

New

Post by ptorsten13 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:37 pm

Long-time lurker here. I just received my financial aid award today and there was no mention of scholarship. Does that mean that I'm not being offered a scholarship?

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:38 pm

ptorsten13 wrote:Long-time lurker here. I just received my financial aid award today and there was no mention of scholarship. Does that mean that I'm not being offered a scholarship?
Nope. I mean, you could not get any, but it won't be because of the fin aid award. The two offices operate independently as far as timing. If you get a scholarship, they'll just send you a new and amended award letter

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

uconjak

Bronze

Post by uconjak » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:39 pm

I withdrew today, NO MON no attendance. Good luck to all of you! hope some gets my spot who wants it.

ptorsten13

New

Post by ptorsten13 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:43 pm

cusenation wrote:
ptorsten13 wrote:Long-time lurker here. I just received my financial aid award today and there was no mention of scholarship. Does that mean that I'm not being offered a scholarship?
Nope. I mean, you could not get any, but it won't be because of the fin aid award. The two offices operate independently as far as timing. If you get a scholarship, they'll just send you a new and amended award letter
Thanks. I've called twice over the last several weeks regarding scholarship consideration, and I've gotten the "Call again next week if you haven't heard" answer. Is it best to just wait, or should I keep calling?

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:44 pm

ptorsten13 wrote:
cusenation wrote:
Thanks. I've called twice over the last several weeks regarding scholarship consideration, and I've gotten the "Call again next week if you haven't heard" answer. Is it best to just wait, or should I keep calling?
PMed

StLNE

New

Post by StLNE » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:29 pm

cusenation wrote:
T20hopeful89 wrote:I posted this on the fordham thread, but will do here, as well, since these are the two schools I'm still debating. Is there a general consensus on double depositing? I will likely be depositing in a couple places to buy myself extra time to decide and negotiate further. Is there a down side to that, assuming I'll only be doing one second seat deposit (aka I'd withdraw from any other place by that time)?
This is actually a fairly standard practice among TLS-ers. The only thing you'd be losing is the deposit money, but i know at least WUSTL will refund your first deposit if you withdraw by may 1. FWIW I think the deposit money is worth it if you think it's likely that you'll get a scholly increase from double depositing.
I've been speaking with a pre-law adviser and he was pretty adamant that double-depositing was not a good idea. He mentioned the possibility of having offers withdrawn if schools found out (admittedly a slim chance). Anyone think there's credibility in this or is he being overly conservative?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

wannabelawstudent

Gold

Post by wannabelawstudent » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:39 pm

StLNE wrote:
cusenation wrote:
I've been speaking with a pre-law adviser and he was pretty adamant that double-depositing was not a good idea. He mentioned the possibility of having offers withdrawn if schools found out (admittedly a slim chance). Anyone think there's credibility in this or is he being overly conservative?
Schools find out where you deposit on May 15th, that's when the danger of things getting withdrawn could happen. General, it is not a good idea to have 2 active deposits may 15 and afterwards.

deuceindc

Bronze

Post by deuceindc » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:42 pm

StLNE wrote:I've been speaking with a pre-law adviser and he was pretty adamant that double-depositing was not a good idea. He mentioned the possibility of having offers withdrawn if schools found out (admittedly a slim chance). Anyone think there's credibility in this or is he being overly conservative?
First off, WUSTL explicitly says that they'll pull your scholarship if you've got multiple deposits after June 1 (second deadline). But for a school to do it without warning would be kind of bullshit.

Second, schools can't see any info about multiple deposits until April 24 - then they can just see how many of their students have multiple deposits. On May 15, they can see who has deposited, and where. So until May 15 they really have no way of definitively knowing who is deposited where, short of calling another admissions dept and asking. While the admissions people do all know each other, that's a pretty blatant privacy violation.

Third, there comes a point where they WILL call other schools if they think they're being fucked with. An admissions rep told me that they had an admit who was showing as deposited at two other schools in like mid-June, but the admit swore up and down to School A that she was coming in the fall - even signed a lease in the town and sent proof. School A admissions rep calls Schools B and C, and it turns out this girl had done the exact same thing to them. At least School A pulled their offer because this girl lied to them.

So don't lie to schools or try to keep them on the hook indefinitely. Otherwise you should be fine. Just know the policies for each school.

StLNE

New

Post by StLNE » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:49 pm

deuceindc wrote:
StLNE wrote:I've been speaking with a pre-law adviser and he was pretty adamant that double-depositing was not a good idea. He mentioned the possibility of having offers withdrawn if schools found out (admittedly a slim chance). Anyone think there's credibility in this or is he being overly conservative?
First off, WUSTL explicitly says that they'll pull your scholarship if you've got multiple deposits after June 1 (second deadline). But for a school to do it without warning would be kind of bullshit.

Second, schools can't see any info about multiple deposits until April 24 - then they can just see how many of their students have multiple deposits. On May 15, they can see who has deposited, and where. So until May 15 they really have no way of definitively knowing who is deposited where, short of calling another admissions dept and asking. While the admissions people do all know each other, that's a pretty blatant privacy violation.

Third, there comes a point where they WILL call other schools if they think they're being fucked with. An admissions rep told me that they had an admit who was showing as deposited at two other schools in like mid-June, but the admit swore up and down to School A that she was coming in the fall - even signed a lease in the town and sent proof. School A admissions rep calls Schools B and C, and it turns out this girl had done the exact same thing to them. At least School A pulled their offer because this girl lied to them.

So don't lie to schools or try to keep them on the hook indefinitely. Otherwise you should be fine. Just know the policies for each school.

Thanks for the comprehensive response. I was looking for another way to push off making a decision between a couple of schools. Definitely will not misrepresent deposits, etc.

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:54 pm

StLNE wrote:
deuceindc wrote:

Thanks for the comprehensive response. I was looking for another way to push off making a decision between a couple of schools. Definitely will not misrepresent deposits, etc.
I'm confused with what the issue is here. OP said he/she would be depositing at one school by the second deposit. There's nothing wrong with depositing at multiple schools for the first deposit.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Post by alwayssunnyinfl » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:57 pm

The problem isn't depositing on multiple schools. The problem is lying about it.

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:04 pm

I am writing today to call your attention to a unique offering at WU Law: the Transnational Law Program. Founded in 2008, the TLP is an integrated program jointly offered by WU Law and four top European partner schools. The program is a four year "dual degree" program, whereby students receive two law degrees, one from Washington University and one from one of the European partners.
Dat internaTTTional law!!!!

But jokes aside, the TLP program does sound interesting

T20hopeful89

Bronze

Post by T20hopeful89 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:07 pm

cusenation wrote:
I'm confused with what the issue is here. OP said he/she would be depositing at one school by the second deposit. There's nothing wrong with depositing at multiple schools for the first deposit.

Yup, I'll be buying myself an extra 2 or 4 weeks, basically, so I can be indecisive for a bit longer and try to negotiate more. I'd already have withdrawn from all but one of the schools by May 15th, for sure.

shifty_eyed

Gold

Post by shifty_eyed » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:10 pm

When is wustl's deposit deadline? Too lazy to google. TIA 8)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:11 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:When is wustl's deposit deadline? Too lazy to google. TIA 8)
April 15th lol

shifty_eyed

Gold

Post by shifty_eyed » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:12 pm

Thank you!

bulinus

Bronze

Post by bulinus » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:14 pm

This is probably obvious to everyone but me, but how does depositing leave you with any leverage to negotiate? Aren't you committing to their offer at that point?

wannabelawstudent

Gold

Post by wannabelawstudent » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:15 pm

bulinus wrote:This is probably obvious to everyone but me, but how does depositing leave you with any leverage to negotiate? Aren't you committing to their offer at that point?
Plenty of people back out their deposit and commit elsewhere.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:16 pm

bulinus wrote:This is probably obvious to everyone but me, but how does depositing leave you with any leverage to negotiate? Aren't you committing to their offer at that point?
It only gives you leverage for the time between the first and second deposit. The first deposit is better understood as a preliminary commitment. Yes you're committed at the time, but it's likely that you're deposited at other schools as well. But yes, after the second deposit you're pretty much committed. The only leverage you have at that point is withdrawing completely (and not going to law school at all that year) or if you get admitted off of another school's waitlist during the summer

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:22 pm

Got in contact with the TLP Dean about the program and he said he would have a current TLP student/graduate get in touch with me in a few days to answer any questions. PM me if you have anything you want me to ask

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:15 pm

Dmini7

Silver

Post by Dmini7 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:48 pm

Ok, I need some help on this one. I got an email about a scholarship, but I can't tell if this is seriously my complete offer, or if this is unrelated towards another offer. Basically, I got 6k/yr from the Marion C. Early fund. Which is confusing to me, because I can't tell if this is my total offer or not(are all scholarships from this fund?) Obviously, if this is my total offer I will withdraw, because this is not competittive compared to my other offers. I can pm or post the body of the message if it will help, but it basically says you will be asked in the future to "pay it forward."

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”