WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
dproduct

Gold

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Post by dproduct » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:42 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
wannabelawstudent wrote:What's the YP?
Yield protection. One of the factors of USNWR rankings is selectivity, and another is yield (of the number of applicants admitted, how many actually matriculate.) By not accepting students who would most likely go somewhere else anyway, schools help with both of those numbers.

However, WUSTL in the past has shown no signs of practicing YP, so this would be a first.
Indeed.

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:42 pm

nowhammies wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:My interview is scheduled for tomorrow. Anyone has any tips on why wash u?
Are you serious? You applied to the school and you don't have any original thoughts on why you wish to attend? There's no one magical answer that the interviewers like to hear.
Yes. I am serious. I applied to many schools without having precise reasons to why I want to go there other than job prospects, academic reputation, overall regional aspect (although I have no ties anywhere so I can't say ties are big for me) and their ranking. This doesn't say that I didn't and still read about the schools, their clinics, atmosphere etc. I do. I just don't see those thoughts as original.

hhockberger

Bronze

Post by hhockberger » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:56 pm

Pretty late to the party, but after reading everyone's posts about how 167 seems to be the magic number I decided to throw my hat in the ring. Fingers crossed!

harveyfan

New

Post by harveyfan » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:02 pm

Got my acceptance letter in the mail today!

dproduct

Gold

Post by dproduct » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:08 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
nowhammies wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:My interview is scheduled for tomorrow. Anyone has any tips on why wash u?
Are you serious? You applied to the school and you don't have any original thoughts on why you wish to attend? There's no one magical answer that the interviewers like to hear.
Yes. I am serious. I applied to many schools without having precise reasons to why I want to go there other than job prospects, academic reputation, overall regional aspect (although I have no ties anywhere so I can't say ties are big for me) and their ranking. This doesn't say that I didn't and still read about the schools, their clinics, atmosphere etc. I do. I just don't see those thoughts as original.
Those all seem like excellent reasons to bring up for a why WUSTL question.

ETA: One of mine was job portability and we talked about it for a good 10 minutes FWIW. Don't feel the need to have something interesting or unique. Be sincere.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dproduct

Gold

Post by dproduct » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:09 pm

harveyfan wrote:Got my acceptance letter in the mail today!
Congrats!!!! :)

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:14 pm

dproduct wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
nowhammies wrote:

ETA: One of mine was job portability and we talked about it for a good 10 minutes FWIW. Don't feel the need to have something interesting or unique. Be sincere.
Talk about their clinics, they have a really strong clinical program. Also everyone gets to participate in their clinics, unlike the lottery system at a lot of peer schools

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:33 pm

cusenation wrote:
dproduct wrote:
nowhammies wrote:

Talk about their clinics, they have a really strong clinical program. Also everyone gets to participate in their clinics, unlike the lottery system at a lot of peer schools[/quote]

Thank you both. Definitely great advice!!

EDIT: god help me I just don't know what to do when there are more than 4 posts to quote and how to get rid of one or more without me looking like an idiot who can't use it right :oops:

blueapple

Silver

Post by blueapple » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:45 pm

Got my acceptance in the mail today finally! I was a WUSTL undergrad so if anyone has any Wash U or STL questions feel free to shoot me a message
Last edited by blueapple on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

wannabelawstudent

Gold

Post by wannabelawstudent » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:14 pm

Last edited by wannabelawstudent on Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:02 pm

Had my phone interview today. Overall I believe it went well. I would say 15 min or so. Was asked the usual questions. Was not offered admissions at end of the call but I wasn't really surprised considering my numbers. Still another nice thing to add for the app :o

illiniguy1551

Bronze

Post by illiniguy1551 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:43 pm

Has there been a wave of rejections yet? I'm just want to be rejected already instead of having this pipe-dream of actually getting in lol.

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:57 pm

illiniguy1551 wrote:Has there been a wave of rejections yet? I'm just want to be rejected already instead of having this pipe-dream of actually getting in lol.

None that we know of so far

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

romanticegotist

Gold

Post by romanticegotist » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:58 pm

How hard are they holding the line on 167s? I thought about applying but didn't wanna deal with arbitrary rejection haha

ks2499

Bronze

Post by ks2499 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:00 pm

romanticegotist wrote:How hard are they holding the line on 167s? I thought about applying but didn't wanna deal with arbitrary rejection haha
http://washu.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

Looks like you're in to me.

romanticegotist

Gold

Post by romanticegotist » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:01 pm

ks2499 wrote:
romanticegotist wrote:How hard are they holding the line on 167s? I thought about applying but didn't wanna deal with arbitrary rejection haha
http://washu.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

Looks like you're in to me.
Helllllllooooo St. Louis. Thanks for the #s.

danielr

Bronze

Post by danielr » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:07 pm

It's all speculation at this point. But I'd say with your GPA, if you were interested in Wash U you would, I think, get a positive response. If you do apply, do a lot of research about the school, its programs, its location and its reputation. Don't apply just because they are high in the USNWR rankings. (I'm not saying you are, only cautioning against something that could, in fact, garner you a rejection.) That the Admissions office has decided to converse with all applicants they are interested in this year before offering admission should indicate that they are attempting to be more selective this cycle than they were in the past.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dproduct

Gold

Post by dproduct » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:09 pm

Seems like 166 is the new 167 and 167 is the new 168. They already dipped into the 165's. LSAT is much softer than years past.

ks2499

Bronze

Post by ks2499 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:11 pm

danielr wrote:
It's all speculation at this point. But I'd say with your GPA, if you were interested in Wash U you would, I think, get a positive response. If you do apply, do a lot of research about the school, its programs, its location and its reputation. Don't apply just because they are high in the USNWR rankings. (I'm not saying you are, only cautioning against something that could, in fact, garner you a rejection.) That the Admissions office has decided to converse with all applicants they are interested in this year before offering admission should indicate that they are attempting to be more selective this cycle than they were in the past.
Yeah, I agree, they did seem really interested in why I would want to live in St. Louis during my interview. I wrote a why WUSTL too.

romanticegotist

Gold

Post by romanticegotist » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:24 pm

dproduct wrote:
Seems like 166 is the new 167 and 167 is the new 168. They already dipped into the 165's. LSAT is much softer than years past.
here's hoping. Minnesota's numbers so far are hilarious: all acceptances at 167 and all WL at 166

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:26 pm

ks2499 wrote:
danielr wrote:
Yeah, I agree, they did seem really interested in why I would want to live in St. Louis during my interview. I wrote a why WUSTL too.
I was actually surprised I was never asked about STL. I brought it up at the end and told her if she could tell me a little bit about living in STL. More and more I feel like it was a "thank but no thanks" interview. What can I do... I may have to take my other Washington acceptance :shock: (to W&L :D )

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ks2499

Bronze

Post by ks2499 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:28 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
ks2499 wrote: Yeah, I agree, they did seem really interested in why I would want to live in St. Louis during my interview. I wrote a why WUSTL too.
I was actually surprised I was never asked about STL. I brought it up at the end and told her if she could tell me a little bit about living in STL. More and more I feel like it was a "thank but no thanks" interview. What can I do... I may have to take my other Washington acceptance :shock: (to W&L :D )
Meh, it might not mean anything. I think they had made a decision on my file and the interview was a YP measure. I've been in NYC for a long time now and maybe they thought it'd be too much of a change. They probably just haven't had a chance to adequately review your application just yet.

romanticegotist

Gold

Post by romanticegotist » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:28 pm

ks2499 wrote:
danielr wrote:
Thanks for the heads-up. I have not real reason to live in STL (I guess I can play up being a Midwestern boy) but it's a great school.

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:52 pm

ks2499 wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
ks2499 wrote: Yeah, I agree, they did seem really interested in why I would want to live in St. Louis during my interview. I wrote a why WUSTL too.
Meh, it might not mean anything. I think they had made a decision on my file and the interview was a YP measure. I've been in NYC for a long time now and maybe they thought it'd be too much of a change. They probably just haven't had a chance to adequately review your application just yet.
Perhaps. I don't know really. I tried to do my best to show genuine interest. Hopefully I succeeded.

Mr.Binks

Silver

Post by Mr.Binks » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:32 pm

In via e-Mail today.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”