WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
rufus&miles

Bronze

Re: Eternal, Never Off the First Page, WUSTL is the Best Thread.

Post by rufus&miles » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:49 pm

Xs20 wrote:
rufus&miles wrote:Who ITT has ever been to east st Louis? I've only been to st Louis once but it is the strongest memory I have. .. just wondering
That's where we are filming our law revue music video.[/quote

Nice!!! I have been feeling like not enough people are mentioning the reality of ALL of st Louis (i know across the river is a different state). I am super excited WUSTL FWIW the st Louis zoo is awesome and free and near the school

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:49 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrZXjeHNj0A
Ben Trachtenberg, an associate professor at University of Missouri School of Law who has written about law schools misrepresenting incoming student GPAs, LSAT scores and graduate employment data, says he may file legal ethics complaints with state bars against those who allegedly published the bogus data.

wannabelawstudent

Gold

Post by wannabelawstudent » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:01 am

cusenation wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrZXjeHNj0A
Ben Trachtenberg, an associate professor at University of Missouri School of Law who has written about law schools misrepresenting incoming student GPAs, LSAT scores and graduate employment data, says he may file legal ethics complaints with state bars against those who allegedly published the bogus data.
I wouldn't be surprised if more schools did it. Seemed pretty easy for Illinois until they went crazy that last year.

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:09 am

wannabelawstudent wrote:
cusenation wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrZXjeHNj0A
I wouldn't be surprised if more schools did it. Seemed pretty easy for Illinois until they went crazy that last year.
I'm more amused that they got caught...as I understand it, no one audits the reports that schools send to U.S News. How do you get caught cheating on a report that no one audits??? Maybe it was a whistleblower, i dunno.

wannabelawstudent

Gold

Post by wannabelawstudent » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:12 am

It was a whistleblower who alerted officials. Who alerted the ethics committee, and found it might be true so they hired an outside audit. There's usually not a lot of info about how things like that are found out for protection.

You should read the audit...my favorite part is when the admissions dean refers to applicants with a 3.8/low lsat as "little bastards" in an email. It gives a lot of insights on the process and just shows how important medians are.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:13 am

wannabelawstudent wrote:It was a whistleblower who alerted officials. Who alerted the ethics committee, and found it might be true so they hired an outside audit. There's usually not a lot of info about how things like that are found out for protection.

You should read the audit...my favorite part is when the admissions dean refers to applicants with a 3.8/low lsat as "little bastards" in an email.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA LINK PLEASE

wannabelawstudent

Gold

Post by wannabelawstudent » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:22 am

cusenation wrote:
wannabelawstudent wrote:It was a whistleblower who alerted officials. Who alerted the ethics committee, and found it might be true so they hired an outside audit. There's usually not a lot of info about how things like that are found out for protection.

You should read the audit...my favorite part is when the admissions dean refers to applicants with a 3.8/low lsat as "little bastards" in an email.
http://cdm266901.cdmhost.com/cdm/single ... 891/rec/10

You'll have to do some skimming but its interesting.

Dmini7

Silver

Post by Dmini7 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:30 am

cusenation wrote:

Page 38. It was a very nice section.

I started skimming it... this dude was ballsy. The amount of changes he started making over the years were insane.
Last edited by Dmini7 on Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

JadeWest

Bronze

Post by JadeWest » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:33 am

Dmini7 wrote:
cusenation wrote:

Page 38. It was a very nice section.
This is old news. I am a maverick and a reformer so I started a new program for
U of I undergrads to apply in their junior year and we don’t require the LSAT.
We have additional essays and an interview instead. That way, I can trap about
20 of the little bastards with high GPA’s that count and no LSAT score to count
against my median.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

wannabelawstudent

Gold

Post by wannabelawstudent » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:36 am

What's amazing is just how important medians are to these guys....moreso than I thought before reading that. It also brings to question a system where changing 2 enrollees scores by 2 points meant a huge difference to them.

Its also funny how he only did it to like 2-5 applicants for years. Then in 2011 decided to change 110 peoples scores....

ETA: WUSTL gets a few mentions in the report as a competitor woot woot!

Dmini7

Silver

Post by Dmini7 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:58 am

wannabelawstudent wrote:What's amazing is just how important medians are to these guys....moreso than I thought before reading that. It also brings to question a system where changing 2 enrollees scores by 2 points meant a huge difference to them.

Its also funny how he only did it to like 2-5 applicants for years. Then in 2011 decided to change 110 peoples scores....

I was just about to point this out! Around pg. 80 is where he goes insane. Did you see that 25% boost? 156->164? Is this guy insane? He literally changed each %ile that year.

LaMuSayonga

Bronze

Post by LaMuSayonga » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:02 am

Is it too late to apply to WUSTL and join this club? After reading far too many pages of this thread, I've decided this is definitely the coolest group of incoming students. Must be the chill Midwestern bro vibe.

wannabelawstudent

Gold

Post by wannabelawstudent » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:07 am

LaMuSayonga wrote:Is it too late to apply to WUSTL and join this club? After reading far too many pages of this thread, I've decided this is definitely the coolest group of incoming students. Must be the chill Midwestern bro vibe.
Definitely not too late....just don't take my spot(also you shouldn't go to any school based on the students). But you'd be a for sure admit from the little I know about you. You're more than welcome to be a part of this thread if you apply or not.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Jaqen

Silver

Post by Jaqen » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:10 am

wannabelawstudent wrote:
LaMuSayonga wrote:Is it too late to apply to WUSTL and join this club? After reading far too many pages of this thread, I've decided this is definitely the coolest group of incoming students. Must be the chill Midwestern bro vibe.
Definitely not too late....just don't take my spot(also you shouldn't go to any school based on the students). But you'd be a for sure admit from the little I know about you. You're more than welcome to be a part of this thread if you apply or not.
ftfy

do it LMS

wannabelawstudent

Gold

Post by wannabelawstudent » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:11 am

Dmini7 wrote:
wannabelawstudent wrote:What's amazing is just how important medians are to these guys....moreso than I thought before reading that. It also brings to question a system where changing 2 enrollees scores by 2 points meant a huge difference to them.

I was just about to point this out! Around pg. 80 is where he goes insane. Did you see that 25% boost? 156->164? Is this guy insane? He literally changed each %ile that year.
This all started from that SI admit that screwed him from his goal. Then years of not getting caught finally convinced him to go crazy. I mean changing dozens of students from a 156 to a 168... cray cray

Dmini7

Silver

Post by Dmini7 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:19 am

That was actually a very interesting skim. I am glad you guys decided to share that :). pg. 92 is also pretty cool. he changed the LSAT's by up to 10 points, and changed one GPA by 0.72.

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:27 am

Just saw a house hunters episode that was shot in STL. it's incredible what ~250K can buy you down there.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

danielr

Bronze

Post by danielr » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:41 am

rufus&miles wrote:
Xs20 wrote:
rufus&miles wrote:Who ITT has ever been to east st Louis? I've only been to st Louis once but it is the strongest memory I have. .. just wondering
That's where we are filming our law revue music video.[/quote

Nice!!! I have been feeling like not enough people are mentioning the reality of ALL of st Louis (i know across the river is a different state). I am super excited WUSTL FWIW the st Louis zoo is awesome and free and near the school
Don't let the name fool you--East St.Louis is a city unto itself, and, as you said, is located in Illinois and not Missouri. I've been there. Locals say one is "goin' to the Eastside" if they are going to a strip club or a really seedy bar/music venue over there. If you are going to consider all of St. Louis, the "Eastside" is not something to think about. You should really be concerned with the "Northside," meaning north St. Louis city. That's where most of the worst crime and poverty is at. Wash U is generally a far cry from that area, though some of it does occasionally spill over.

What other concerns are there about the rest of the city? This is probably a fruitful line of discussion to have about now, as we approach the next ASD and scholarships are on the way. I will try to give honest and helpful assessments about the city. I have lived here all of my life (with the exception of 4 years away for undergrad).

danielr

Bronze

Post by danielr » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:53 am

Also, for the record, I'm not insensitive to the fact that one's perception of these areas is necessarily limited to their experience of them. And East St. Louis, along with the St. Louis north side, is full of people--both good and bad--of different backgrounds, races, ethnicities, and socioeconomic statuses. Unfortunately, the tendency around here is to try to homogenize both of these areas as terrible places full of wretched poverty, apathy, and nothing but crime, crime, and more crime. That's simply not true, and that idea speaks volumes about the historic racial and economic divides that still plague this city. As I said, lack of experience about something usually leads to a distorted perception of it. This is all meant only as a caveat about blanket descriptions of St. Louis neighborhoods and their respective virtues. Take it or leave it as you wish.

JesusChrist

Bronze

Post by JesusChrist » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:34 am

JayJones78 wrote:Just saw a house hunters episode that was shot in STL. it's incredible what ~250K can buy you down there.
You talking about this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ7DVrvnsQ8

LaMuSayonga

Bronze

Post by LaMuSayonga » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:14 am

Jaqen wrote:
wannabelawstudent wrote:
ftfy

do it LMS
I think I'll join the thread and see where things go. I need a TLS home thread, anyway.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:48 am

wannabelawstudent wrote:
Crowing wrote:
Xs20 wrote:
Crowing wrote:Why do people who may or may not have taken 1 class with you in HS but definitely never even talked to you suddenly try to add you on FB 5 years later?

Do some people like collect FB friends or something? I don't get the point.
If female, DTF
Maybe if you wave that WUSTL acceptance hard enough
^wait girls hook up with you based on if you're into WUSTL or not?
Well, I have actually seen dudes at bars wearing a "WUSTL Law" shirt. Idk how successful they are though lol.

dproduct

Gold

Post by dproduct » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:40 am

wannabelawstudent wrote:my favorite part is when the admissions dean refers to applicants with a 3.8/low lsat as "little bastards" in an email.
I am dead.

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:49 am

I've decided that going back to the alma mater this weekend and screaming at blindfolded pledges is the only thing that'll make me feel better if WUSTL doesn't release schollies this week.

Xs20

Silver

Post by Xs20 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:06 pm

Dmini7 wrote:That was actually a very interesting skim. I am glad you guys decided to share that :). pg. 92 is also pretty cool. he changed the LSAT's by up to 10 points, and changed one GPA by 0.72.
The saddest part about pg. 92 is the person whose real numbers were 4.04/147 :shock: :shock: :shock:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”