WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
talesofyore

Bronze

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Post by talesofyore » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:07 am

Has anyone gotten merit aid so far?

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:08 am

talesofyore wrote:Has anyone gotten merit aid so far?
Another week or two.

alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Post by alwayssunnyinfl » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:09 am

shntn wrote:
Another week or two.
I CAN'T WAIT

teiswei

Silver

Post by teiswei » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:10 am

Had an entire response and my phone died. Essentially, your SO is moving with you, parents are not. Google the halo effect. This is absolutely observed and true. You will be with these students with at least 3 years and will work with them beyond that. 30 years or more.

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:10 am

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
shntn wrote:
Another week or two.
I CAN'T WAIT
Wait, what?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:11 am

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
shntn wrote:
Another week or two.
I CAN'T WAIT
Please let it be next week..

alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Post by alwayssunnyinfl » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:12 am

cusenation wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
shntn wrote:
Another week or two.
I CAN'T WAIT
Please let it be next week..
No. Stop it. We cannot start obsessing over this or the next two weeks are going to be horrendous, especially since my best friend will be waiting for her LSAT score.

talesofyore

Bronze

Post by talesofyore » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:15 am

shntn wrote:
Another week or two.
Thanks!

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:16 am

alwayssunnyinfl wrote: No. Stop it. We cannot start obsessing over this or the next two weeks are going to be horrendous, especially since my best friend will be waiting for her LSAT score.
ahhh true true, will resist temptation to obsess.

+1 to waiting for LSAT..

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Post by alwayssunnyinfl » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:16 am

cusenation wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote: No. Stop it. We cannot start obsessing over this or the next two weeks are going to be horrendous, especially since my best friend will be waiting for her LSAT score.
ahhh true true, will resist temptation to obsess.

+1 to waiting for LSAT..
Go design sweaters.

goldeneye

Silver

Post by goldeneye » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:25 am

icanbeohyes wrote:Sorry to be off topic, but I'm afraid to ask in the Choosing Law School forum, but what are some benefits that are unique to WUSTL that would draw some of you away from GWU. The majority consensus is retake which I won't say is bad advice, I'm just waiting for my cycle to end so I can make an educated decision on whether or not a year off would be beneficial since I am so young.

Thoughts?
Cost of living. Location where majority of graduates get jobs. Competition within legal market of school. Cost.

wannabelawstudent

Gold

Post by wannabelawstudent » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:25 am

Yeah guys, stop obsessing about getting info from the admissions office.
teiswei wrote:Had an entire response and my phone died. Essentially, your SO is moving with you, parents are not. Google the halo effect. This is absolutely observed and true. You will be with these students with at least 3 years and will work with them beyond that. 30 years or more.
I guess I meant more from a social aspect. However, I think a large majority wouldn't care, and even if they did, they'll likely forget in the months before you see them again, and like you said, you're spending the next 3 years with them, who you are, and what type of person you are is going to come out, especially in how small a setting law school is, and is going to overtake whatever impressions you left on them during ASW. I can't see someone logically saying "yeah, this guy was ranked high, did law review, is very intelligent, and has acted like a professional from what I could see, but...he brought his parents to admitted students weekend, I think it's best for my career if I stay away from him."

teiswei

Silver

Post by teiswei » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:30 am

wannabelawstudent wrote:
Yeah guys, stop obsessing about getting info from the admissions office.
teiswei wrote:Had an entire response and my phone died. Essentially, your SO is moving with you, parents are not. Google the halo effect. This is absolutely observed and true. You will be with these students with at least 3 years and will work with them beyond that. 30 years or more.
I guess I meant more from a social aspect. However, I think a large majority wouldn't care, and even if they did, they'll likely forget in the months before you see them again, and like you said, you're spending the next 3 years with them, who you are, and what type of person you are is going to come out, especially in how small a setting law school is, and is going to overtake whatever impressions you left on them during ASW. I can't see someone logically saying "yeah, this guy was ranked high, did law review, is very intelligent, and has acted like a professional from what I could see, but...he brought his parents to admitted students weekend, I think it's best for my career if I stay away from him."
Seriously, look up the halo effect...
The halo effect or halo error is a cognitive bias in which our judgments of a person’s character can be influenced by our overall impression of him or her. It can be found in a range of situations from the courtroom to the classroom and in everyday interactions. The halo effect was given its name by psychologist Edward Thorndike; subsequent researchers have studied it in relation to attractiveness and its bearing on the judicial and educational systems.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Post by alwayssunnyinfl » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:32 am

Be careful. Perceived immaturity is not nearly as damaging as actually immaturity.

wannabelawstudent

Gold

Post by wannabelawstudent » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:46 am

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:Be careful. Perceived immaturity is not nearly as damaging as actually immaturity.
Is that directed at me?

Teiswei, I did look it up, as you quoted, it is based on their overall impression of them. What I'm saying is your actions/what you do over the next 3 years, is what makes other people's impressions of you, and at some point, what you do is ASW is not going to have any effect on anyone's impression of you (unless of course you do something insance) and we're at the point where we're now debating a very small minority (of people who view your negatively) of your ASW group, who turns out to actually become a part of your incoming class, who actually remembers you bringing your parents, who turns out that also has an impact on your career, somehow, later down the road.

teiswei

Silver

Post by teiswei » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:04 am

wannabelawstudent wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:Be careful. Perceived immaturity is not nearly as damaging as actually immaturity.
Is that directed at me?

Teiswei, I did look it up, as you quoted, it is based on their overall impression of them. What I'm saying is your actions/what you do over the next 3 years, is what makes other people's impressions of you, and at some point, what you do is ASW is not going to have any effect on anyone's impression of you (unless of course you do something insance) and we're at the point where we're now debating a very small minority (of people who view your negatively) of your ASW group, who turns out to actually become a part of your incoming class, who actually remembers you bringing your parents, who turns out that also has an impact on your career, somehow, later down the road.
Sunny, I think, was directing it at me. I'm stating my opinion an if its immature to you, good luck in the legal world. The actual theory is based on first impressions. I agree that it's not going to wreck your career, that would be asinine. I'm just saying people will judge and some will remember. I personally would not jeopardize my future because my parents wanted to meet my potential peers.

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:05 am

teiswei wrote:
wannabelawstudent wrote:
Is that directed at me?

Sunny, I think, was directing it at me. I'm stating my opinion an if its immature to you, good luck in the legal world. The actual theory is based on first impressions. I agree that it's not going to wreck your career, that would be asinine. I'm just saying people will judge and some will remember. I personally would not jeopardize my future because my parents wanted to meet my potential peers.
QFlolwut

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

andy261

Bronze

Post by andy261 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:08 am

I go offline for two hours during my flight and now suddenly everyone ITT is an armchair psychologist?

kckool7

Bronze

Post by kckool7 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:10 am

If parents want to come, why not let them, especially if they're potentially willing to foot a bit of the bill, but want to know more about what they'll be paying for? The only immaturity there would be by someone judging another admitted student on that criteria, halo effect or not.
Last edited by kckool7 on Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Post by alwayssunnyinfl » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:10 am

lol actually immaturity.

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:10 am

andy261 wrote:I go offline for two hours during my flight and now suddenly everyone ITT is an armchair psychologist?
Tu n'as pas idée.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Post by alwayssunnyinfl » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:11 am

shntn wrote:
andy261 wrote:I go offline for two hours during my flight and now suddenly everyone ITT is an armchair psychologist?
Tu n'as pas idée.
aucune

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:12 am

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
shntn wrote:
Tu n'as pas idée.
aucune
Alors

JXander

Silver

Post by JXander » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:20 am

teiswei wrote:
icanbeohyes wrote:Got in today! When it says how many people are coming with you on the ASD RSVP website, can you put down your parents or is that taboo XD?
Personal opinion: bringing your parents to something like this is a bit adolescent. If I attended and saw someone with their parents, my first thought would be that they aren't ready to be an adult.
Hide yo wife, hide yo kids... ...hide yo parents...

alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Post by alwayssunnyinfl » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:21 am

JXander wrote:
teiswei wrote:
icanbeohyes wrote:Got in today! When it says how many people are coming with you on the ASD RSVP website, can you put down your parents or is that taboo XD?
Personal opinion: bringing your parents to something like this is a bit adolescent. If I attended and saw someone with their parents, my first thought would be that they aren't ready to be an adult.
Hide yo wife, hide yo kids... ...hide yo parents...
They be judgin' errybody up in here!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”