WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
shntn

Platinum

Re: Eternal, Never Off the First Page, WUSTL is the Best Thread.

Post by shntn » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:52 am

JayJones78 wrote:
JCougar wrote:
cusenation wrote: Can someone explain what happened to Fordham and UIUC. I'm genuinely curious...
UIUC's still in freefall from their Dean of Admissions lying about their LSAT scores. The drop from 168 to 163 really had an effect. Then the reputational fallout kicked in this year. And of course, after the severe drop in the rankings, they're going to have a hard time attracting decent students. From the LSN graph this year, looks like their medians might drop even more.
And Fordham? Pretty alarming
And unsurprising. They had all their eggs in literally one basket, the NYC market.

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:02 am

shntn wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
JCougar wrote:
cusenation wrote: Can someone explain what happened to Fordham and UIUC. I'm genuinely curious...
UIUC's still in freefall from their Dean of Admissions lying about their LSAT scores. The drop from 168 to 163 really had an effect. Then the reputational fallout kicked in this year. And of course, after the severe drop in the rankings, they're going to have a hard time attracting decent students. From the LSN graph this year, looks like their medians might drop even more.
And unsurprising. They had all their eggs in literally one basket, the NYC market.
That's also why I think that for those who have their eyes set on NYC biglaw the drop doesn't matter as much because Fordham will still give them a better shot at NYC biglaw than many other school who are ranked higher.

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:23 am

shntn wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
JCougar wrote:
Good thing I got into Fordham this AM. And Ive already worked in NY biglaw, so more of what I ran from years ago does not sound appealing. Fordham to London big law.... That lights me up! But I still really wish WUSTL would gimme some love. I mean money. Money. Yeah, money.

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:38 am

shntn wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
JCougar wrote:
MOAR BASKETS

wannabelawstudent

Gold

Post by wannabelawstudent » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:47 am

You guys are completely wrong, fordham dropped cause dingbat left.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:53 am

wannabelawstudent wrote:You guys are completely wrong, fordham dropped cause dingbat left.
Where did she go?

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:54 am

JayJones78 wrote:
wannabelawstudent wrote:You guys are completely wrong, fordham dropped cause dingbat left.
Where did she go?
She had bigger and better things.

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:58 am

Perusing the trial program kool-aid that WUSTL sent out last night or something when ...
The Jessup International Law Moot Court Competition is the
largest moot court competition in the world. Nearly 600 law
schools representing over 100 countries participate each year.
Written and oral arguments are presented to a simulated
International Court of Justice, the UN body which hears disputes
between sovereign states......WULAW has advanced to the International Rounds seven of the
last thirteen years; it and Harvard Law School are the only two
schools in the United States to share this distinction.
dat internaTTTional law 8)

westphiladelphia

Bronze

Post by westphiladelphia » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:12 am

cusenation wrote:Perusing the trial program kool-aid that WUSTL sent out last night or something when ...
The Jessup International Law Moot Court Competition is the
largest moot court competition in the world. Nearly 600 law
schools representing over 100 countries participate each year.
Written and oral arguments are presented to a simulated
International Court of Justice, the UN body which hears disputes
between sovereign states......WULAW has advanced to the International Rounds seven of the
last thirteen years; it and Harvard Law School are the only two
schools in the United States to share this distinction.
dat internaTTTional law 8)
set to the tune of Pit Bull's "International Love."

no, but seriously -- what is all of this WUSTL + "International Law" all about? Do they just seem to have an extraordinarily high number of people working in international corporate law?

international law ain't no real thang, ladies!

fun fact though: WUSTL has two alums in General Counsel positions with MLB Teams (Oakland A's and St. Louis Cardinals). connecTTTions.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JesusChrist

Bronze

Post by JesusChrist » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:12 am

Anyone going to the event/coffee meetup in SF this Thursday? It's sorta late notice and I just took time off but we'll see.

snapdragon25

Bronze

Post by snapdragon25 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:20 am

Also, 10 people in federal clerkships?? Impressive

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:28 am

Last edited by DoveBodyWash on Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:32 am

Re: Fin Aid letters

Dear friends, do not sign and turn in your award letters ASAP. Wait. The deadline isn't until July. Wait until you finish your negotiations. Also, once you start to accept loan amounts, minimize Grad PLUS loans if you have the luxury of reducing your funding. Those have the highest interest rate.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

westphiladelphia

Bronze

Post by westphiladelphia » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:33 am

cusenation wrote:
westphiladelphia wrote: no, but seriously -- what is all of this WUSTL + "International Law" all about? Do they just seem to have an extraordinarily high number of people working in international corporate law?

international law ain't no real thang, ladies!
lol i mean i think international law is right after IP law as far as meaningless specialty fields that schools love to brag about. But in general it has a lot do with faculty. Rankings, both specialty and general, are primarily driven by faculty reputation. Michael Peil is a big name as far as international law, particularly for European. "International opportunities" in Asia is disproportionately influenced by lay-prestige.

FWIW re: Asia. I was a summer clerk (the undergrad version of a summer associate) at what is basically Korea's Cravath. Since foreign firms weren't allowed into Korea until two years ago, any American-educated attorneys needed to be hired by one of the Korean firms, and not just placed at a branch office of a US-based firm. A huge chunk of their hiring was targeted towards American-educated/BigLaw associates. But a lot of it was driven by lay-prestige. WUSTL was just one of those schools that benefited from having good lay-presTTTige.
"Insert university with national/international brand here is a top undergrad university that our young students gun for..therefore its law school must be good as well."
It's sort of true for Hong Kong as well, but to a lesser extent since a lot of US/UK firms have offices in HK, so their hiring is likely similar to the the U.S. model.

EDIT: just got my financial aid award letter from WUSTL. Dat tuition..
Alright, alright I gotcha -- interesting to know!

And yeah, got the letter too -- grad PLUS all up in my business. (hopefully can lower that...)

JesusChrist

Bronze

Post by JesusChrist » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:36 am

Just got the financial aid letter. Does anyone else think that 23k is a very large allowance for living expenses?

wannabelawstudent

Gold

Post by wannabelawstudent » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:37 am

JesusChrist wrote:Just got the financial aid letter. Does anyone else think that 23k is a very large allowance for living expenses?
Every school tends to overestimate living expenses. I guess its a better safe than sorry type thing.

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:38 am

JesusChrist wrote:Just got the financial aid letter. Does anyone else think that 23k is a very large allowance for living expenses?
Just from apartment-hunting for the past week i can tell you that it's probably excessive. If you include furniture/utilities, annual rent hovers between 8000-10,000. And then we get a free metroPass so transportation is covered (assuming you're not bringing a car). You could easily comfortably get by with less than 23k.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:11 pm

I take out less than half of that and make it work.

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:12 pm

Someone in the Fordham thread is now considering going to Bama over Fordham because of the rise of Alabama and the decline of Fordham when their objective is living and working in NYC.
God help me.

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:12 pm

JayJones78 wrote:Someone in the Fordham thread is now considering going to Bama over Fordham because of the rise of Alabama and the decline of Fordham when their objective is living and working in NYC.
God help me.
LOL i saw that

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:12 pm

JCougar wrote:
I take out less than half of that and make it work.
Oh wow. That's actually really useful to know. Fewer loans FTW!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:13 pm

cusenation wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:Someone in the Fordham thread is now considering going to Bama over Fordham because of the rise of Alabama and the decline of Fordham when their objective is living and working in NYC.
God help me.
LOL i saw that
Humanity...sometimes, I just don't know about you.

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:13 pm

shntn wrote:
cusenation wrote:
God help me.
LOL i saw that
Humanity...sometimes, I just don't know about you.
Tell them to peruse firm websites and look at their OCI schedules. They won't find a single NYC firm that has 'Bama on their recruiting calendar.

danitt

Gold

Post by danitt » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:13 pm

Oh Jesus Christ!

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:17 pm

danitt wrote:
Oh Jesus Christ!
I mean, he/she got an almost full ride to Bama, which is great. And I really don't think Fordham at sticker should be recommended (although I may have to face a decision if to take it if they take me off their WL) but why the hell this is even a credited connection.
If you want to live and work in NYC, and sure of it why the hell would you even consider Bama? Do you think hiring partners from midtown cares about it's wonderful rise in the rankings? Or they are going to get on the firm's privet jet and fly to Birmingham (I assume that's where the campus is :D ) to hand pick Bama students? I'm pretty baffled.
Last edited by JayJones78 on Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”