WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
DoveBodyWash

Gold

Re: Eternal, Never Off the First Page, WUSTL is the Best Thread.

Post by DoveBodyWash » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:15 pm

Dmini7 wrote:Ok, I need some help on this one. I got an email about a scholarship, but I can't tell if this is seriously my complete offer, or if this is unrelated towards another offer. Basically, I got 6k/yr from the Marion C. Early fund. Which is confusing to me, because I can't tell if this is my total offer or not(are all scholarships from this fund?) Obviously, if this is my total offer I will withdraw, because this is not competittive compared to my other offers. I can pm or post the body of the message if it will help, but it basically says you will be asked in the future to "pay it forward."
It's a type of need-based grant. You're not legally obligated to pay it back but they ask you to pay it back anyway out of appreciation once you're financially able. Basically you benefitted from it so donate back when you're an alum so future students can benefit as well. I dunno if it's your final offer but it's separate from the normal merit awards

Big Dog

Silver

Post by Big Dog » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:41 pm

I can pm or post the body of the message if it will help, but it basically says you will be asked in the future to "pay it forward."
Not an unusual request. Several law schools just do it as a reminder that, if you go become a Buffett billionaire, to remember them in your will.

wannabelawstudent

Gold

Post by wannabelawstudent » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:25 pm

Big Dog wrote:
I can pm or post the body of the message if it will help, but it basically says you will be asked in the future to "pay it forward."
Not an unusual request. Several law schools just do it as a reminder that, if you go become a Buffett billionaire, to remember them in your will.
The way the email is worded (I got the same award) it sounds like the guy who donated the money for the scholarship only wanted it to go to people in who financially needed it, and asked that they pay it back if they can.

JXander

Silver

Post by JXander » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:38 pm

Finally got scholarship info. 8k a year. Will withdraw soon, Emory offered me over 3 times that much.

Dmini7

Silver

Post by Dmini7 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:10 am

I apolgize, I did not mean for it to sound like I was ungrateful for the award. I was just very confused, because I have never gotten a scholarship stated like that, and I did not know if that was my total/final offer. I did not want to ask them for more if it was separate from the actual offer hence why I asked. But thanks for all the updates and information. Could this be an award for URM's? Because I have never qualified for need based aid before.. so I am kind of surprised they gave this to me in the form of need-aid.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

wannabelawstudent

Gold

Post by wannabelawstudent » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:12 am

Dmini7 wrote:I apolgize, I did not mean for it to sound like I was ungrateful for the award. I was just very confused, because I have never gotten a scholarship stated like that, and I did not know if that was my total/final offer. I did not want to ask them for more if it was separate from the actual offer hence why I asked. But thanks for all the updates and information. Could this be an award for URM's? Because I have never qualified for need based aid before.. so I am kind of surprised they gave this to me in the form of need-aid.
I'm not a urm and I got it. And you didn't sound ungrateful.

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:13 am

Dmini7 wrote:I apolgize, I did not mean for it to sound like I was ungrateful for the award. I was just very confused, because I have never gotten a scholarship stated like that, and I did not know if that was my total/final offer. I did not want to ask them for more if it was separate from the actual offer hence why I asked. But thanks for all the updates and information. Could this be an award for URM's? Because I have never qualified for need based aid before.. so I am kind of surprised they gave this to me in the form of need-aid.
don't worry about it, i don't think any of us thought you were being ungrateful or anything. I understand your frustration lol. FWIW I don't think it's for URMs...i know ppl got it last year that weren't URMs. It just seems like a side-source of funding. Just my two cents, but i think their scholly budget is running on fumes right now, they won't have more until after the deposit deadline and the initial wave of kids withdraw.

No one would fault you if you withdrew, but i think it could pay off for you to stick it out a little longer, even if just to leverage your other options

wannabelawstudent

Gold

Post by wannabelawstudent » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:11 am

My mom is failing to understand that WUSTL doesn't have an athletic team and literally just asked "can Washington beat OU in football?"..."no mom, no one can beat the sooners"

JXander

Silver

Post by JXander » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:44 am

Dmini7 wrote:Ok, I need some help on this one. I got an email about a scholarship, but I can't tell if this is seriously my complete offer, or if this is unrelated towards another offer. Basically, I got 6k/yr from the Marion C. Early fund. Which is confusing to me, because I can't tell if this is my total offer or not(are all scholarships from this fund?) Obviously, if this is my total offer I will withdraw, because this is not competittive compared to my other offers. I can pm or post the body of the message if it will help, but it basically says you will be asked in the future to "pay it forward."
I got essentially the same thing (but with a little more) and I had the exact same question.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:47 pm

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:35 pm

Currently at a harvard bar filled eit Harvard undergrads wearing Harvard hoodies.

SO MUCH PRESTTTTTTTTTTTTTIGE!!!

bananasplit19

Silver

Post by bananasplit19 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:47 pm

cusenation wrote:Currently at a harvard bar filled eit Harvard undergrads wearing Harvard hoodies.

Enact the bar scene from Good Will Hunting where Matt Damon schools the snarky sweater-wearing elitist.

tl;dr: How you like them apples?

deuceindc

Bronze

Post by deuceindc » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:37 am

bananasplit19 wrote:
cusenation wrote:Currently at a harvard bar filled eit Harvard undergrads wearing Harvard hoodies.

Enact the bar scene from Good Will Hunting where Matt Damon schools the snarky sweater-wearing elitist.

tl;dr: How you like them apples?
Yeah, but at least they'll have the degree.

Also - if you're at Hong Kong, ask for extra animals in your shark bowl. If you're not, go to Hong Kong.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

wannabelawstudent

Gold

Post by wannabelawstudent » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:25 am

Don't make fun of my Harvard friends.

yodamiked

Bronze

Post by yodamiked » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:50 pm

Withdrew over the weekend. Hopefully will free up some $$$ for the folks still waiting.

lhanvt13

Gold

Post by lhanvt13 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:02 pm

yodamiked wrote:Withdrew over the weekend. Hopefully will free up some $$$ for the folks still waiting.
Give me that spottttttttt

Okie Dokie

New

Post by Okie Dokie » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:38 pm

HAHHHHHVAHHHHHD

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:26 am

I asked WUSTL to up my scholly by 75% last week. I haven't heard back yet. What do you think the odds of them ponying up are?

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:37 am

MarkinKansasCity wrote:I asked WUSTL to up my scholly by 75% last week. I haven't heard back yet. What do you think the odds of them ponying up are?
Unlikely since you asked them specifically for a proportion of tuition. I've never heard of them giving out 112K before...assuming you meant 75% of 150k tuition. This isn't to say you won't get an increase...but it probably won't come out to 75%.

It could go either way looking at your numbers. I think they're gunning for a 167 median based on how much money they've recently thrown at 167 splitters. They could give you a boost right before April 15th to hedge against insufficient deposits from 167+, or they could just wait to see what their numbers are after the 15th

FWIW the scholly awards generally (from what I've seen) follow this "lock-step" scale.
(I don't know the scale for less than 45k, i'm guessing it's 15k then 30k or something)

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:39 am

cusenation wrote:
MarkinKansasCity wrote:I asked WUSTL to up my scholly by 75% last week. I haven't heard back yet. What do you think the odds of them ponying up are?
Unlikely since you asked them specifically for a proportion of tuition. I've never heard of them giving out 112K before...assuming you meant 75% of 150k tuition. This isn't to say you won't get an increase...but it probably won't come out to 75%.

It could go either way looking at your numbers. I think they're gunning for a 167 median based on how much money they've recently thrown at 167 splitters. They could give you a boost right before April 15th to hedge against insufficient deposits from 167+, or they could just wait to see what their numbers are after the 15th

FWIW the scholly awards generally (from what I've seen) follow this "lock-step" scale.
(I don't know the scale for less than 45k, i'm guessing it's 15k then 30k or something)

I was talking about a 75% increase from my current offer, not 75% of tuition. I just didn't want to get overly specific, although anyone who gave a shit could reread my posts and figure it out.

ETA: I'm sure they're hoping for a 167, but given the decline in applicants in general, and in high LSATs in particular, I'm hoping a 166 will do it.

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:41 am

MarkinKansasCity wrote:
cusenation wrote:

I was talking about a 75% increase from my current offer, not 75% of tuition. I just didn't want to get overly specific, although anyone who gave a shit could reread my posts and figure it out.
lol well i'm in that place where I care enough to answer your question but not enough to go through your old posts to find out what your original offer was. How much did they give you originally?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:45 am

cusenation wrote:
MarkinKansasCity wrote:
cusenation wrote:

lol well i'm in that place where I care enough to answer your question but not enough to go through your old posts to find out what your original offer was. How much did they give you originally?
They offered 60K, and I asked for 105k.

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:50 am

MarkinKansasCity wrote: They offered 60K, and I asked for 105k.
It's unlikely that you'll jump up 3 levels to 105k, I think 84 or 90k is more likely. But like I said before, it depends on how badly they need your 166. They could bump you to 75k right before the 15th then if it looks like they need your 166 after, then they could increase you again. It'll depend on how many higher GPA 166's and 167's deposit

Dmini7

Silver

Post by Dmini7 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:14 pm

This thread is slacking. It was off the front page. It seems the excitement for WUSTL has dropped drastically after these scholarship offers.

Anyhow, I called for information on my offer, and apparently it is the total merit offer. Unfortunately 18k total is not going to push me to attend. I sent an email with offers from USC and UCI showing what I have been offered hoping to get an increase and also asking for an extension on the deadline seeing as I found out prior, and if I do not get an increase I do not want to place a deposit since there is no way I would attend.

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:46 pm

Dmini7 wrote:This thread is slacking. It was off the front page. It seems the excitement for WUSTL has dropped drastically after these scholarship offers.

Anyhow, I called for information on my offer, and apparently it is the total merit offer. Unfortunately 18k total is not going to push me to attend. I sent an email with offers from USC and UCI showing what I have been offered hoping to get an increase and also asking for an extension on the deadline seeing as I found out prior, and if I do not get an increase I do not want to place a deposit since there is no way I would attend.
=/ sorry to hear that. But yes this thread is probably gonna stay quiet until after the first deadline, seeing as almost all relevant initial decisions have been made already. Everyone is just waiting to see if they get a bump after the 15th.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”