WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ks2499

Bronze

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Post by ks2499 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:10 pm

Lear22 wrote:
cusenation wrote:Just finished my phone interview. Spoke with Dean Clifford and she told me that I was already admitted and that my letter was in the mail.

(Btw they're doing things by mail this year instead of e-mail)

This is my second time being admitted to WUSTL, and it's a great school =), visited the campus and met the admissions office last year, they were awesome. Very happy to have an admit under my belt before the rest of my decisions come out. Good luck everyone =)
Can someone explain on the process of getting an interview? Does your app need to be in for that to happen or is it more like the NU and Vandy interviews? I assume that they also offer off campus interviews as I live in seattle.
I wouldn't even really call it an interview. It was a casual conversation that touched on your application, but it seemed like their mind was made up already. I think it's just YP/an attempt to make sure they don't let in anyone blatantly terrible.

Lear22

Bronze

Post by Lear22 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:25 pm

cusenation wrote:
Lear22 wrote:
cusenation wrote:Just finished my phone interview. Spoke with Dean Clifford and she told me that I was already admitted and that my letter was in the mail.

(Btw they're doing things by mail this year instead of e-mail)

This is my second time being admitted to WUSTL, and it's a great school =), visited the campus and met the admissions office last year, they were awesome. Very happy to have an admit under my belt before the rest of my decisions come out. Good luck everyone =)
Can someone explain on the process of getting an interview? Does your app need to be in for that to happen or is it more like the NU and Vandy interviews? I assume that they also offer off campus interviews as I live in seattle.
To be honest I didn't even know WUSTL did interviews. They didn't last year, or I didn't get invited for one. But it's not like Vandy or NU where every applicant has the opportunity to schedule one. It seems like they're just inviting certain applicants. I'm sure the reason will vary depending on the candidate and the situation.
Interesting. Thank you!

Nickg415

Bronze

Post by Nickg415 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:47 pm

170/3.2 and haven't received invite for interview!! Which sucks because WUSTL is one of my top schools due to its access into Chicago market, scholarship potential, and the impression they have made on me at my schools Law Fair! Maybe a LOCI is in order?

alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Post by alwayssunnyinfl » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:47 pm

Nickg415 wrote:170/3.2 and haven't received invite for interview!! Which sucks because WUSTL is one of my top schools due to its access into Chicago market, scholarship potential, and the impression they have made on me at my schools Law Fair! Maybe a LOCI is in order?
"I heard on an internet forum that people are getting interviews. WTF?"

I'd advise against this idea.

Nickg415

Bronze

Post by Nickg415 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:51 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
Nickg415 wrote:170/3.2 and haven't received invite for interview!! Which sucks because WUSTL is one of my top schools due to its access into Chicago market, scholarship potential, and the impression they have made on me at my schools Law Fair! Maybe a LOCI is in order?
"I heard on an internet forum that people are getting interviews. WTF?"

I'd advise against this idea.
hahahaha. Thanks for that. Still, I'm just worried that the lack of invite means that they dont think I am serious about attending and are considering YPing me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:52 pm

You will be FINE don't worry lol =)

alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Post by alwayssunnyinfl » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:19 pm

So, no one else's status date changed today?

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:21 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:So, no one else's status date changed today?
Mine did, went from 11/1 to 12/7.

ks2499

Bronze

Post by ks2499 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:22 pm

Mine hasn't changed since going complete on 11/15.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Post by alwayssunnyinfl » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:22 pm

cusenation wrote:
I'm really hoping that they just forgot to tell me I was admitted, then.

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:25 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
cusenation wrote:
They tell you by mail now =). And she told me that they just started sending out letters, so maybe your letter's en route?? I found out unofficially through an interview. Personally I think they partly asked me to "interview" for YP considerations. Because i withdrew my deposit from them last year. She didn't tell me that I was admitted until after I explained that i'm very interested in WUSTL and that my withdrawal last year shouldn't be interpreted as lack of interest

alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Post by alwayssunnyinfl » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:27 pm

cusenation wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
cusenation wrote:
They tell you by mail now =). And she told me that they just started sending out letters, so maybe your letter's en route?? I found out unofficially through an interview. Personally I think they partly asked me to "interview" for YP considerations. Because i withdrew my deposit from them last year. She didn't tell me that I was admitted until after I explained that i'm very interested in WUSTL and that my withdrawal last year shouldn't be interpreted as lack of interest
Yeah. I emailed almost immediately after they offered the interviews and was probably one of the first, so maybe they decided after lunch or something to start telling people over the phone that they were admitted. She didn't offer an unofficial admittance, but kept alluding to hearing back from them really soon. Regardless of what's in the mail for me (if anything) I really like this interview idea, and I hope they make it standard procedure. It definitely moved WUSTL up the list from "school that will offer good scholarship" to "school I'd actually get excited about attending."

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:34 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
cusenation wrote:
Yeah. I emailed almost immediately after they offered the interviews and was probably one of the first, so maybe they decided after lunch or something to start telling people over the phone that they were admitted. She didn't offer an unofficial admittance, but kept alluding to hearing back from them really soon. Regardless of what's in the mail for me (if anything) I really like this interview idea, and I hope they make it standard procedure. It definitely moved WUSTL up the list from "school that will offer good scholarship" to "school I'd actually get excited about attending."[/quote]

Who did you interview with? A part of the reason why she told me about the offer might be because I've already met her (Dean Clifford) and spent some time with her last year during my visit. I basically had a one-on-one ASW with her since I couldn't make the official one. FWIW I really don't think WUSTL would make the effort to interview candidates they didn't want. Nor would they imply that you'll find out soon if the upcoming decision was a rejection. Good luck!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

orbbs

New

Post by orbbs » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:18 pm

In via interview as well. Exciting and a very pleasant experience. The interview thing is certainly effective for building excitement about the school.

andygreen12

New

Post by andygreen12 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:39 pm

I just finished my interview with Dean Clifford. She was really nice and truly cared about me as a person and what I could bring to the Law School. I could tell they look at more than the numbers as I only had a 163 non urm and they accepted me. She asked me why I chose my major and school as well as about my personal statement. The conversation was very cordial and it was more like a conversation than an interview.

On a side note, I am in the east coast and the interview was set for 3 pm. I was sitting there until 3:15 and I was getting nervous as i thought they may have forgot about me. Turns out, they are on central time and I had to wait for another hour.

clyde13

New

Post by clyde13 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:32 am

In via interview yesterday afternoon! Dean Clifford was super super nice!

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:35 pm

I was admitted via snail mail today - I was not asked to interview.

I live about 20 minutes from the WUSTL campus, so I'm sure there are many of you with acceptances en route!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dietcoke0

Silver

Post by dietcoke0 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:20 pm

Hello, 1L Wash U here. I'll chime in a little about the cycle Wash U goes through. If you have a 168+, you are going to be solid pretty much. No matter what your GPA is. If you are an URM, especially AA, you have a good chance if you have a number at median.

They are generally pretty quick on admission if you have numbers they are looking for (I was in 10 days after submission)

However, if you don't hear a decision one way or the other, may start worrying. They tend to do adverse decisions at the end of their cycle.

I'll say one thing though, if you get on their waitlist, and you really want to go to Wash U, you can wait that thing out.

They were pulling people off the waitlist up until orientation at other schools. They were also throwing money at people off the waitlist (which they do often)

Not sure if it was just the cycle I was in, which was a bit bad for them (that's why their numbers are down a bit)

Also, ask for money right up front with them. I got more, and I know others did.

Short and simple statements, and if you have other offers, use those as leverage. I just mentioned I was visiting another school that was offering me 30k a year, and they threw an extra 7k a year at me.

School has wonderful facilities. Been to some other schools similarly ranked (GW, Fordham) and facilities really sold me on the school. Also super nice everyone (students to faculty). Thing about GW and Fordham, gunner central, no one looked happy, and it was March. Here people are a lot more laid back. However may just be since it's in semester 1, things will get more tense once we realize there are only a few steaks out there, and we all need to eat.

As for jobs, don't go here expecting 160k or anything. As with all schools 15ish and up, going to have to hustle no matter what. Grades, CSO, network bullshit. Also don't expect a super portable degree. A nice thing about the school is it pulls people from all over the country, but a reason why our placement looks so diverse is because everyone is from all over. If you don't have ties to a market, don't just magically expect to be placed there.

But passively talking to people, you know who will do well, and who won't right away. Those who blew off studying until the finals, or don't study as much struggle. Those who prepare, and know how to play the game (exam focused study) do better.

If you have any specific questions, you should ask in the thread in the "Ask Current Students" Thread, or you can PM if it's more private.

Anyway, good luck all. Got two more finals this week.

North

Gold

Post by North » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:54 pm

andygreen12 wrote:On a side note, I am in the east coast and the interview was set for 3 pm. I was sitting there until 3:15 and I was getting nervous as i thought they may have forgot about me. Turns out, they are on central time and I had to wait for another hour.
QFP for all East/West Coasters. Good thing I read this.

alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Post by alwayssunnyinfl » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:01 pm

North wrote:
andygreen12 wrote:On a side note, I am in the east coast and the interview was set for 3 pm. I was sitting there until 3:15 and I was getting nervous as i thought they may have forgot about me. Turns out, they are on central time and I had to wait for another hour.
QFP for all East/West Coasters. Good thing I read this.
Are people really this clueless about the location of St. Louis?

(And the only reason I didn't get fooled by this is because they mentioned "CT" in the original email)

North

Gold

Post by North » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:11 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:Are people really this clueless about the location of St. Louis?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jrstephens1991

Bronze

Post by jrstephens1991 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:49 am

dietcoke0 wrote:Hello, 1L Wash U here. I'll chime in a little about the cycle Wash U goes through. If you have a 168+, you are going to be solid pretty much. No matter what your GPA is. If you are an URM, especially AA, you have a good chance if you have a number at median.

They are generally pretty quick on admission if you have numbers they are looking for (I was in 10 days after submission)

However, if you don't hear a decision one way or the other, may start worrying. They tend to do adverse decisions at the end of their cycle.

I'll say one thing though, if you get on their waitlist, and you really want to go to Wash U, you can wait that thing out.

They were pulling people off the waitlist up until orientation at other schools. They were also throwing money at people off the waitlist (which they do often)

Not sure if it was just the cycle I was in, which was a bit bad for them (that's why their numbers are down a bit)

Also, ask for money right up front with them. I got more, and I know others did.

Short and simple statements, and if you have other offers, use those as leverage. I just mentioned I was visiting another school that was offering me 30k a year, and they threw an extra 7k a year at me.

School has wonderful facilities. Been to some other schools similarly ranked (GW, Fordham) and facilities really sold me on the school. Also super nice everyone (students to faculty). Thing about GW and Fordham, gunner central, no one looked happy, and it was March. Here people are a lot more laid back. However may just be since it's in semester 1, things will get more tense once we realize there are only a few steaks out there, and we all need to eat.

As for jobs, don't go here expecting 160k or anything. As with all schools 15ish and up, going to have to hustle no matter what. Grades, CSO, network bullshit. Also don't expect a super portable degree. A nice thing about the school is it pulls people from all over the country, but a reason why our placement looks so diverse is because everyone is from all over. If you don't have ties to a market, don't just magically expect to be placed there.

But passively talking to people, you know who will do well, and who won't right away. Those who blew off studying until the finals, or don't study as much struggle. Those who prepare, and know how to play the game (exam focused study) do better.

If you have any specific questions, you should ask in the thread in the "Ask Current Students" Thread, or you can PM if it's more private.

Anyway, good luck all. Got two more finals this week.
Thanks for this! :)

JXander

Silver

Post by JXander » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:29 pm

Last edited by JXander on Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

ks2499

Bronze

Post by ks2499 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:37 pm

JakeAsch wrote:I am a little anxious about my interview tomorrow afternoon. What type of questions do you think Dean Clifford will ask an applicant with a low score (154), but high GPA (3.86)?

Thanks for any advice!
Honestly, I don't think she'll ask about your LSAT. She asked me why I chose my college and if I'd be comfortable living in St. Louis after 7 yrs in NYC. She didn't touch on my score or academic record at all. I wouldn't worry too much. Good luck!

a2blifeUIUC

New

Post by a2blifeUIUC » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:18 pm

Crowing wrote:I was admitted via snail mail today - I was not asked to interview.

I live about 20 minutes from the WUSTL campus, so I'm sure there are many of you with acceptances en route!
I've been complete since mid-September, and while I don't quite have auto-admit numbers, I'm sure hoping that I fall into this category of accepted without online indication.

Has anyone else received notice without an interview?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”