WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
icanbeohyes

Bronze

Re: WUSTL c/o 2016

Post by icanbeohyes » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:22 pm

Not trying to be rude here. Just curious. But, JayJones, why didn't you retake and/or apply next cycle? I understand everyone has personal circumstances that may hinder the possibility of this. But, with being URM, even a high 150s score (ideally low to high 160s) and your GPA, that would put you in a much better position with most of these schools you're applying for. I would retake myself if I hadn't exhausted my three test take limit and may even retake with apps down and so much $$ being thrown around (from what I see on TLS) the chances of breaking T-14 with even a 160 are much greater for you.

wannabelawstudent

Gold

Post by wannabelawstudent » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:23 pm

dstars823 wrote:
cusenation wrote:
wannabelawstudent wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:Guh, I wish my sub-3.0 were due to such fun shenanigans
Trying to find an acceptable phrasing of "My GPA sucks because I was being hazed" was amusingly frustrating when I was writing my GPA addendum..
I feel i should apply to some random school i wont attend just so i can put those exact words on an addedum
Alabama gives you a $25 itunes gift card if you apply, you're practically losing money if you don't take advantage of that.

I really want to apply to CM and put something like "because I want to free ipod" in my "why cm?" essay

dstars823

Bronze

Post by dstars823 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:23 pm

How long did 25 apps take you to run through... also isnt that still like 500 in fees from teh LSAC?

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:24 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote: Alabama gives you a $25 itunes gift card if you apply, you're practically losing money if you don't take advantage of that.

I really want to apply to CM and put something like "because I want to free ipod" in my "why cm?" essay
It's an iPad if you attend unfortunately =/ otherwise I'd be all over that

And $25 gift card? Time to email 'Bama and plead for a fee waiver

dstars823

Bronze

Post by dstars823 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:24 pm

Already Applied to Bama got in with scholly, not a bad school actually and i am from the deep south

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:25 pm

cusenation wrote:
wannabelawstudent wrote: Alabama gives you a $25 itunes gift card if you apply, you're practically losing money if you don't take advantage of that.

It's an iPad if you attend unfortunately =/ otherwise I'd be all over that

And $25 gift card? Time to email 'Bama and plead for a fee waiver
I'm sure you've already gotten like 5. Check your spam folder. (Gmail sends all my LS e-mail to spam. :( )

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:28 pm

icanbeohyes wrote:Not trying to be rude here. Just curious. But, JayJones, why didn't you retake and/or apply next cycle? I understand everyone has personal circumstances that may hinder the possibility of this. But, with being URM, even a high 150s score (ideally low to high 160s) and your GPA, that would put you in a much better position with most of these schools you're applying for. I would retake myself if I hadn't exhausted my three test take limit and may even retake with apps down and so much $$ being thrown around (from what I see on TLS) the chances of breaking T-14 with even a 160 are much greater for you.
In short: I can't retake again until dec13. Oct12 was my 3rd LSAT and sitting a cycle is currently not a good option for me.
I have a 6pg thread ( :oops: ) on the URM forum if you're more interested.
http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 4&t=199593

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:29 pm

shntn wrote:25 apps? Hot damn, son. :shock: :shock: :shock:
I know right?!
But I was like: hey why not. Luckily applying through LSAC is pretty easy.

icanbeohyes

Bronze

Post by icanbeohyes » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:32 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
icanbeohyes wrote:Not trying to be rude here. Just curious. But, JayJones, why didn't you retake and/or apply next cycle? I understand everyone has personal circumstances that may hinder the possibility of this. But, with being URM, even a high 150s score (ideally low to high 160s) and your GPA, that would put you in a much better position with most of these schools you're applying for. I would retake myself if I hadn't exhausted my three test take limit and may even retake with apps down and so much $$ being thrown around (from what I see on TLS) the chances of breaking T-14 with even a 160 are much greater for you.
In short: I can't retake again until dec13. Oct12 was my 3rd LSAT and sitting a cycle is currently not a good option for me.
I have a 6pg thread ( :oops: ) on the URM forum if you're more interested.
http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 4&t=199593

Ohh okay! Well I understand that. I'm certainly debating the value of sitting out. If you've taken the LSAT in Oct. '12, the earliest you could then again take it is Dec. '13? That sucks :/ I thought it might be Oct. '13

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Post by alwayssunnyinfl » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:33 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
I know right?!
Damn, your thread didn't even make it a page before BlaqBella starting crapping all over it. Sorry about that.

I didn't get through the whole thing, but my advice would be to apply broadly (which, obviously, you did) and then weigh your options once scholarship money becomes available. However, do not forget to weigh all of the schools against the opportunity cost. Even if school X gives you a better offer than all of the other schools, remember to compare their offer with just not going to law school. (This advice applies to me, too.)

icanbeohyes

Bronze

Post by icanbeohyes » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:35 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
I know right?!
Damn, your thread didn't even make it a page before BlaqBella starting crapping all over it. Sorry about that.

I didn't get through the whole thing, but my advice would be to apply broadly (which, obviously, you did) and then weigh your options once scholarship money becomes available. However, do not forget to weigh all of the schools against the opportunity cost. Even if school X gives you a better offer than all of the other schools, remember to compare their offer with just not going to law school. (This advice applies to me, too.)

I've wondered about her/him. Is he/she a positive or negative influence around here?

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:36 pm

icanbeohyes wrote:
I've wondered about her/him. Is he/she a positive or negative influence around here?
LOLOLOL

She's...not the best poster.

icanbeohyes

Bronze

Post by icanbeohyes » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:36 pm

shntn wrote:
icanbeohyes wrote:
LOLOLOL

Can I ask why?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:40 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
I know right?!

Yup. I'm basically assuming I will get sticker or close to sticker from most schools. But eve if I get some $$ from schools with high COL (Cardozo, for example) it'll have to enough to level out how much in total it'll cost me to pay and live if I go to W&L for example.
I applied VERY broadly yes. As of now the schools I'm most interested in (other than the t14 that I'm assuming I won't get) are also placed broadly. Vandy, USC, WashU, BC, Tulane and UofColorado.

alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Post by alwayssunnyinfl » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:41 pm

Where are you from?

wannabelawstudent

Gold

Post by wannabelawstudent » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:42 pm

shntn wrote:
icanbeohyes wrote:
LOLOLOL

Wait she poasts in On-Topics? I never visit the URM forum.

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:44 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:Where are you from?
I live in PNW with no desire to come back and work here. No real ties anywhere which is why I'm also gunning for NYC biglaw (among other desires so I can't be making decisions just based on that)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Post by alwayssunnyinfl » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:48 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
I live in PNW with no desire to come back and work here. No real ties anywhere which is why I'm also gunning for NYC biglaw (among other desires so I can't be making decisions just based on that)
Gotcha. Well, based on the fact that there's a pretty substantial backstory that we don't know, I would take everything TLS has to say with a giant grain of salt. Just be sure that going to law school is really the best option for you at whichever price point you happen to secure. Your goals and aspirations are going to be much different from the normal TLSers, but at the same time don't let emotional considerations cloud your judgment too much. Feel free to PM me any time once more decisions start rolling in if you need to bounce more ideas off of someone.

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:50 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
I would do terrible things to have ties to Portland or Seattle so I could have a shot at scoring a decent firm job in either city...the standards of living there sound phenomenal

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:52 pm

cusenation wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
I would do terrible things to have ties to Portland or Seattle so I could have a shot at scoring a decent firm job in either city...the standards of living there sound phenomenal
The standard of living is. Seattliets are, how shall I put it, less.
I don't do well with passive aggressiveness.
Just google seattle chill

EDIT: read this article: http://seattletimes.com/pacificnw/2005/0213/cover.html
Although its kind of old every word is true.
Last edited by JayJones78 on Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:54 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
Gotcha. Well, based on the fact that there's a pretty substantial backstory that we don't know, I would take everything TLS has to say with a giant grain of salt. Just be sure that going to law school is really the best option for you at whichever price point you happen to secure. Your goals and aspirations are going to be much different from the normal TLSers, but at the same time don't let emotional considerations cloud your judgment too much. Feel free to PM me any time once more decisions start rolling in if you need to bounce more ideas off of someone.
Thanks. Real do. My story is much much different than the avg TLS poster and I do take things here with a grain of salt. As of now the best thing for me is to start school ASAP. I am however waiting until mid April to make a decision (the W&L deposit date is 4/15) and I hope by then most decisions will be out.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Princess Consuela

Bronze

Post by Princess Consuela » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:00 pm

This thread never makes it more than halfway down the first page. The most dedicated waiters!

wannabelawstudent

Gold

Post by wannabelawstudent » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:06 pm

Princess Consuela wrote:This thread never makes it more than halfway down the first page. The most dedicated waiters!
Eternal Never off the Front Page: WUSTL is the best thread.

andy261

Bronze

Post by andy261 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:12 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
cusenation wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
The standard of living is. Seattliets are, how shall I put it, less.
I don't do well with passive aggressiveness.
Just google seattle chill

EDIT: read this article: http://seattletimes.com/pacificnw/2005/0213/cover.html
Although its kind of old every word is true.
Ugh native WA dude here and the 'Seattle freeze' is such a generalization. There are 600K+ people in Seattle and 3.5+ million in the metro area, with plenty of transplants. Seattle does maybe have a bit of a 'keep to yourself' mentality compared to other big cities (I think it's a mountain thing), but I find it hard to believe that people can't find ANY friends here.

danitt

Gold

Post by danitt » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:13 pm

I sent out 24. TLS convinced me that I wouldn't even get close to the T-20. Needless to say I could have saved a lot of money.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”