WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
DoveBodyWash

Gold

Re: Eternal, Never Off the First Page, WUSTL is the Best Thread.

Post by DoveBodyWash » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:46 pm

clyde13 wrote:I called and asked about scholarships today and they said that they were "hoping to get them out this week". Not sure if that's news to anyone, but I just wanted to pass it along to you guys.
I'm forcing XS20 to call and ask abt scholly release as a random admitted student.

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:46 pm

RedGiant wrote:
Dmini7 wrote:
Crowing wrote:
icanbeohyes wrote:From those NLJ250 stats, GWU is looking like a better option even though it's in a more crowded market. Maybe a crowded market is better than none at all?...I'm starting to rethink my decision to attend ASD (unless they send out scholarships before then)
GWU is a pretty decent biglaw feeder if that's what you're really after. The main criticisms levied against GWU are 1) it's located in a high COL area but tends to be very stingy with scholarship money and 2) in recent years it has put a ridiculous amount of people into school-funded positions.
I am not sure if this also plays a big role but GWU has a top IP program. So (correct me if I am wrong here) alot of students placing in these positions are probably from said program. I do not think I am too far off as Santa Clara University is also on the list and I am quite certain the only students who get big law from there are IP ones.

I work at a top Valley law firm. We do take some non-IP folks from Santa Clara, but it's a rarity. Our peers do too. Again, must be better than top 15% (even 20 or 25% will get you to midlaw if you're looking at corporate from Santa Clara). Just FYI--I've been bouncing around the Valley for 5+ years, so I don't think I'm mistaken on that (and have friends who have graduated within the past 1-4 years from Santa Clara too).
I'm really wondering what makes people decide to attend Santa Clara, unless they get a full ride (and even then I'm unsure)

Dmini7

Silver

Post by Dmini7 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:52 pm

Probably specialty rankings for IP. That or they never set their eyes on this site and it is close to home. Heck before I found this site I would've been ecstatic to be accepted there. I was honestly thinking I would be rejected from chapman and that SCU and chapman were my reaches due to my GPA.

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:53 pm

Dmini7 wrote:Probably specialty rankings for IP. That or they never set their eyes on this site and it is close to home. Heck before I found this site I would've been ecstatic to be accepted there. I was honestly thinking I would be rejected from chapman and that SCU and chapman were my reaches due to my GPA.
I'm not judging people who decide to attend SCU but more trying to understand the reasoning behind it (same this as the reasoning behind AU)

Unoriginalist

Bronze

Post by Unoriginalist » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:55 pm

shntn wrote:For a period of one week, I've decided to report the sender of every non-scholarship e-mail to the police. Justice must be served.

ETA: what's that, Groupon? 50% off? Better hope you can use that discount on your bail.
This was under-appreciated haha

Ok, I've literally been on edge all day waiting to hear scholarships, and reading that they're only hoping to get them out this week severely depresses me. Ugh...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:55 pm

Dmini7 wrote:Probably specialty rankings for IP. That or they never set their eyes on this site and it is close to home. Heck before I found this site I would've been ecstatic to be accepted there. I was honestly thinking I would be rejected from chapman and that SCU and chapman were my reaches due to my GPA.
+1
The vast majority of law school applicants/students don't visit this site at all. I guess Santa Clare and similar schools could make sense if you're IP (have a hard science degree) and/or are offered a shit-ton of scholly.

I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but I'll re-iterate in case anyone missed it.

IGNORE SPECIALTY RANKINGS. If you look at how the U.S News calculates those, you'll see just how meaningless they are. Employers don't care if Chicago-Kent has one of the "best legal writing programs in the country." Same with IP. You are IP if you have a hard science degree and are therefore eligible to take the patent bar. The "specialty ranking" of your school is irrelevant

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:56 pm

cusenation wrote:
+1
The vast majority of law school applicants/students don't visit this site at all. I guess Santa Clare and similar schools could make sense if you're IP (have a hard science degree) and/or are offered a shit-ton of scholly.

I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but I'll re-iterate in case anyone missed it.

IGNORE SPECIALTY RANKINGS. If you look at how the U.S News calculates those, you'll see just how meaningless they are. Employers don't care if Chicago-Kent has one of the "best legal writing programs in the country." Same with IP. You are IP if you have a hard science degree and are therefore eligible to take the patent bar. The "specialty ranking" of your school is irrelevant
I used to be SO INTO American because "well they're really highly ranked in International Law!" -_-

Thank gawd I found TLS.

Dmini7

Silver

Post by Dmini7 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:57 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
I'm not judging people who decide to attend SCU but more trying to understand the reasoning behind it (same this as the reasoning behind AU)
Yeah I understand what your saying. I just don't think a lot of people have done research and actually seen how poorly these schools perform. That along with the advice from boomers who suggest local TTT really seem to doom kids :/

anteater1

Silver

Post by anteater1 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:00 pm

Don't know how the scholly's are supposed to arrive but I'm so delusional I leaped out of my seat when I got a phone call from WA not realizing the obvious mistake.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Xs20

Silver

Post by Xs20 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:03 pm

shntn wrote: I used to be SO INTO American because "well they're really highly ranked in International Law!" -_-
Your improv comedy skills would be on fucking point, though.

danielr

Bronze

Post by danielr » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:04 pm

anteater1 wrote:Don't know how the scholly's are supposed to arrive but I'm so delusional I leaped out of my seat when I got a phone call from WA not realizing the obvious mistake.
Even though they are supposed to arrive by email, that would be the appropriate reaction.

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:06 pm

Xs20 wrote:
shntn wrote: I used to be SO INTO American because "well they're really highly ranked in International Law!" -_-
"So what's the deal with those collection agencies, right? I mean, I'm on the bus to Blimpie's, already running late so I know my manager's gonna be pissed, and I get my fifth call of the morning. It's like, stop wasting my minutes already! Da-dun-chhh!"

*runs from stage, sobbing*

Xs20

Silver

Post by Xs20 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:09 pm

shntn wrote:
Xs20 wrote:
"So what's the deal with those collection agencies, right? I mean, I'm on the bus to Blimpie's, already running late so I know my manager's gonna be pissed, and I get my fifth call of the morning. It's like, stop wasting my minutes already! Da-dun-chhh!"

*runs from stage, sobbing*
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:18 pm

I still think scholly will be released this week for most of us..

Saying "hopefully" is probably just a way for them to protect themselves in case something happens and they have to delay. Kind of like how NU's letter is described as being "available within 24 hours." It never actually took that long.

They've never said "this week" before. They've always hinted at some later date/time of the month (pun intended)

Maybe they'll release scholly in batches so some of us will get them at different times..but I'm confident that they'll come out this week.

Unoriginalist

Bronze

Post by Unoriginalist » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:19 pm

I just read in the OP that WashU is accepting June LSAT scores? Is that typical, or did they move their deadline to try and wrangle some late applicants?

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:25 pm

Unoriginalist wrote:I just read in the OP that WashU is accepting June LSAT scores? Is that typical, or did they move their deadline to try and wrangle some late applicants?

It's not "typical" but I imagine schools across the board are extending deadlines in an attempt to net as many applicants as possible

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:29 pm

I am not sure if this also plays a big role but GWU has a top IP program. So (correct me if I am wrong here) alot of students placing in these positions are probably from said program. I do not think I am too far off as Santa Clara University is also on the list and I am quite certain the only students who get big law from there are IP ones.[/quote]

I work at a top Valley law firm. We do take some non-IP folks from Santa Clara, but it's a rarity. Our peers do too. Again, must be better than top 15% (even 20 or 25% will get you to midlaw if you're looking at corporate from Santa Clara). Just FYI--I've been bouncing around the Valley for 5+ years, so I don't think I'm mistaken on that (and have friends who have graduated within the past 1-4 years from Santa Clara too).[/quote]

I'm really wondering what makes people decide to attend Santa Clara, unless they get a full ride (and even then I'm unsure)[/quote]

I have been strongly advised by people in my office, and others, that I should "aim higher" than SCU. I actually have found the Santa Clara grads I've worked with to be quite competent attorneys, and always very nice people, but even they stress that they are the exceptions, rather than the rule, from their school. I also have a close friend who attended there who has failed the bar FOUR TIMES and is now pursuing a non-legal career. It's CA, so it's tough and all, but at that point, I question what exactly she learned for $225K (yes, she's in for that much). Another friend's husband went there as they are tied to the area and he's a non-trad--he got ONE bad grade his 1L year, dropped out of the top 20% and had a heckuva time with OCI. It's a rough, expensive place to get a degree, if biglaw is your goal. If you want to work in Tech Trans or in-house, I think it's a fine choice. The Valley is dripping with opportunity for law grads.

And now, back to a school that I like much better....WUSL!!!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

wannabelawstudent

Gold

Post by wannabelawstudent » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:32 pm

shntn wrote:For a period of one week, I've decided to report the sender of every non-scholarship e-mail to the police. Justice must be served.

ETA: what's that, Groupon? 50% off? Better hope you can use that discount on your bail.
This is an underrated post. I search and unsubscribed whenever I've gotten an email after sending my app. No more 5 tops to reducing my waistline :(

Big Dog

Silver

Post by Big Dog » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:44 pm

I just read in the OP that WashU is accepting June LSAT scores? Is that typical, or did they move their deadline to try and wrangle some late applicants?
Smart play. If a bunch of matriculants retake, WashU's reported numbers can only go up.

alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Post by alwayssunnyinfl » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:52 pm

I appreciate the enthusiasm, Google, but this is not a rave.

JadeWest

Bronze

Post by JadeWest » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:17 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:[img]

BA in legal studies at Keiser university online!?!?! Smells like opportunity!!!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

danielr

Bronze

Post by danielr » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:42 pm

For admitted students: How have interactions with your current student "matches" been going? My contact has been helpful so far. We discussed summer opportunities (in 1L & 2L years), the importance of networking, and law school examinations. It's pretty standard stuff, but anyone can feel free to PM me for more detail, if you like.

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:44 pm

danielr wrote:For admitted students: How have interactions with your current student "matches" been going? My contact has been helpful so far. We discussed summer opportunities (in 1L & 2L years), the importance of networking, and law school examinations. It's pretty standard stuff, but anyone can feel free to PM me for more detail, if you like.
Still waiting for a match, but I haven't gotten any hard copy anything from WUSL yet--in about 2 weeks ago....

alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Post by alwayssunnyinfl » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:45 pm

RedGiant wrote:
danielr wrote:For admitted students: How have interactions with your current student "matches" been going? My contact has been helpful so far. We discussed summer opportunities (in 1L & 2L years), the importance of networking, and law school examinations. It's pretty standard stuff, but anyone can feel free to PM me for more detail, if you like.
Still waiting for a match, but I haven't gotten any hard copy anything from WUSL yet--in about 2 weeks ago....
You should be getting something in the mail soon. It took about two weeks for me to get my packet in the mail.

dproduct

Gold

Post by dproduct » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:47 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:[img]waterandcloudsTSOPRETTY[/img]

Cute theme Sunny.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”