WUSTL c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Xs20

Silver

Re: Eternal, Never Off the First Page, WUSTL is the Best Thread.

Post by Xs20 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:28 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote: Some schools do give good scholarships to their best students who threaten to transfer. I'm just not sure if WUSTL is one of them.
Oh ok, my bad, I'd never heard of this. I know that the school to which you transfer will almost always make you pay sticker, since your GPA/LSAT leverage is gone, and was under the impression that the same thing goes for the school from which you're transferring.

I totally understand transferring if you're paying sticker and the school won't offer you more when you threaten to leave, but if you're at the top of your class at a T25 with a big scholarship, I just couldn't pay the difference to go to a more prestigious school for the same prospects.
Last edited by Xs20 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:30 pm

romothesavior wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:Has anyone ever gone WashU ----> Yale?

I wish there was some info on transfer and where schools take transfers from (unless there is?)
There's very little info compared to general admissions, but from what I've gathered on TLS, this is probably not very likely. It's possible, but I'd bet you'd have to be the top student (not top 1%) in your class and have an incredible resume to boot.
It happened my 1L year, and we had a couple people go to Harvard. I think we had 5-6 transfers to the T6, and a few more to lower ranked T14s. Maybe a small handful who transferred laterally or not up much (one guy went to UCLA for geographic/personal reasons).

Also, for you 0Ls who are interested in the current goings on of the school.

(slinks back out)
I love the part about financial aid.

alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Post by alwayssunnyinfl » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:48 pm

shntn wrote: I love the part about financial aid.
Maybe the next round will be $135k's?

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:52 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
MMHMM

Xs20

Silver

Post by Xs20 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:02 pm

shntn wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
MMHMM
Fingers crossed for you guys!!!!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Post by WokeUpInACar » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:06 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
I just can't see them showing splitters real love without upping some of the last wave's offers. I just thought it was weird that they offered the same amount to people barely above both medians as to those above both 75ths. I feel like they just don't think they'll get many 170+ people anyway so they focus on the 166-169 range and throw them the same amount of money as the 170+'s because it's likely to be their best option, whereas 170+ folks are unlikely to matriculate regardless.

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:08 pm

If that's true, a genuine expression of interest should help.

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:21 pm

Side note: accepted at tulane. At sticker from what it looks like (just got off the phone with admissions). As much as I think NOLA would be an incredible place to live (and eat) and my love for beignets...I don't see the point.

WashU I still like you!! Like me back :oops:

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:30 pm

my reaction to Romo's post: "I freakin told them so!"

-Will be more generous with financial aid. Bam.
-Ranking will probably go back up. Bam.
-Smaller class will probably help job placement. Bam.

All hail the neurotic Orange.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

danielr

Bronze

Post by danielr » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:38 pm

cusenation wrote:my reaction to Romo's post: "I freakin told them so!"

-Will be more generous with financial aid. Bam.
-Ranking will probably go back up. Bam.
-Smaller class will probably help job placement. Bam.

All hail the neurotic Orange.
I don't know: #1 on your list remains to be seen...and #2 is a best (educated) guess by the Wash U administration. I wouldn't call victory yet! (I hope I don't come off sounding like Karl Rove during the election...)

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:41 pm

WokeUpInACar wrote: I just can't see them showing splitters real love without upping some of the last wave's offers. I just thought it was weird that they offered the same amount to people barely above both medians as to those above both 75ths. I feel like they just don't think they'll get many 170+ people anyway so they focus on the 166-169 range and throw them the same amount of money as the 170+'s because it's likely to be their best option, whereas 170+ folks are unlikely to matriculate regardless.
+100.

Personally, I think they're casting this egalitarian scholly net out in the hopes that it retains interest through the first deposit deadline. From there they can keep negotiating. If 160-165 kids enroll, great, they get some assurance. If 167+ kids stay, great, they can start negotiating up from 105k. It sucks for us splitters who are actually interested in WUSTL because history suggests that many kids with our numbers will most likely defect. So I can't really fault the school for dismissing us as flight risks if they end up low-balling our offers.

smitza1

New

Post by smitza1 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:42 pm

So needless to say, if I haven't heard back by now and my status checker hasn't moved since 11/30, I will get the honor of riding out the waitlist? Here we go...

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:04 pm

FWIW I emailed the adcomm just now about scholly decisions. Anxiety and impatience aside, I'm in a position where i need to start requesting vacation time from my office and start purchasing plane tickets to visit other schools in the event that WUSTL doesn't make an acceptable offer. I don't have much time left to visit other campuses before first deposit deadlines in April...I can't really afford to wait longer than a week. Not that I won't wait, it would just be really inconvenient for me.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

T20hopeful89

Bronze

Post by T20hopeful89 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:29 pm

cusenation wrote:
WokeUpInACar wrote: I just can't see them showing splitters real love without upping some of the last wave's offers. I just thought it was weird that they offered the same amount to people barely above both medians as to those above both 75ths. I feel like they just don't think they'll get many 170+ people anyway so they focus on the 166-169 range and throw them the same amount of money as the 170+'s because it's likely to be their best option, whereas 170+ folks are unlikely to matriculate regardless.
+100.

Personally, I think they're casting this egalitarian scholly net out in the hopes that it retains interest through the first deposit deadline. From there they can keep negotiating. If 160-165 kids enroll, great, they get some assurance. If 167+ kids stay, great, they can start negotiating up from 105k. It sucks for us splitters who are actually interested in WUSTL because history suggests that many kids with our numbers will most likely defect. So I can't really fault the school for dismissing us as flight risks if they end up low-balling our offers.
Just fyi, I am not a splitter (or someone with crazy high numbers, either) and I have yet to receive any scholarship =/ KO specifically told me I would be "seriously considered" back when I was admitted in december, but clearly that doesn't mean much...

dproduct

Gold

Post by dproduct » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:39 pm

cusenation wrote:FWIW I emailed the adcomm just now about scholly decisions. Anxiety and impatience aside, I'm in a position where i need to start requesting vacation time from my office and start purchasing plane tickets to visit other schools in the event that WUSTL doesn't make an acceptable offer. I don't have much time left to visit other campuses before first deposit deadlines in April...I can't really afford to wait longer than a week. Not that I won't wait, it would just be really inconvenient for me.
+10000

I'm in a similar situation to this. I need a few schools to figure their shit out so I can decide who to visit and be done with it.

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:58 pm

T20hopeful89 wrote:
cusenation wrote:
+100.

Just fyi, I am not a splitter (or someone with crazy high numbers, either) and I have yet to receive any scholarship =/ KO specifically told me I would be "seriously considered" back when I was admitted in december, but clearly that doesn't mean much...
It just means they haven't gotten to us. I was told something similar by MAC.

JesusChrist

Bronze

Post by JesusChrist » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:08 pm

Just got a small increase off of the Feb LSAT! How should I notify WUSTL? Or have they been updated in advance of my being updated?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Post by alwayssunnyinfl » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:18 pm

JesusChrist wrote:Just got a small increase off of the Feb LSAT! How should I notify WUSTL? Or have they been updated in advance of my being updated?
You can write them to let them know you retook if you haven't already. But your file will be automatically updated to all of the schools you applied to. Congrats!

andy261

Bronze

Post by andy261 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:20 pm

JesusChrist wrote:Just got a small increase off of the Feb LSAT! How should I notify WUSTL? Or have they been updated in advance of my being updated?
Samesies, high five!

WokeUpInACar

Platinum

Post by WokeUpInACar » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:21 pm

1/25
Xs20 wrote: Hahaha I had to take a stab at the student panel chick who was all about the snacks.

Also, did you end up making it sunny? Didn't see anyone who I thought looked like what I remember you looking like, and I didn't want to ask some rando "are you sunny?"

All in all though I loved everything about it. I couldn't believe how insanely nice Mary Ann Clifford and Janet Laybold were, I probably talked to them one on one for an hour. And at the reception Dean Clifford whispered to me that I'd be getting a "really big" scholarship in a couple weeks, which was awesome. So was the free beer.
2/8
Xs20 wrote:
Princess Consuela wrote:I don't know if this has been talked about already, but does anyone know how long scholarship decisions take after you get the mail saying they're considering you? Also, I'm taking the LSAT again tomorrow so do you think they'll wait for that score before they offer anything?
Scholarships are supposed to come out mid to late February.

Not totally sure about the LSAT retake, but I'd imagine they'll offer you something along with everyone else, and then increase it if you improve your LSAT score. Total guess, though.

eta: scooped
2/21
andy261 wrote:Ugh work is soul-crushing today.

Anyways, schollies will be out according to JL (does no one else correspond with her?) 'sometime in the next week.' They are definitely not in the office today but appear to be working from home.
2/26
cusenation wrote:UPDATE

Called Laybold. SCHOLLIES WILL BE DISTRIBUTED WITHIN THE NEXT TWO DAYS. They're finalizing them today.

Asked about decisions as well, got a typical "depends on the application" response
3/1
cusenation wrote:
timeandspace11 wrote:I want a scholarship :cry:
I was told that it was "very likely that they won't come out until early next week" a few minutes ago.

not JL or MAC, just standard officer worker at the adcomm office, so take it with a grain of salt. But not getting my hopes too high for today
:|

JayJones78

Gold

Post by JayJones78 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:24 pm

WokeUpInACar wrote:1/25
Xs20 wrote: Hahaha I had to take a stab at the student panel chick who was all about the snacks.

Also, did you end up making it sunny? Didn't see anyone who I thought looked like what I remember you looking like, and I didn't want to ask some rando "are you sunny?"

All in all though I loved everything about it. I couldn't believe how insanely nice Mary Ann Clifford and Janet Laybold were, I probably talked to them one on one for an hour. And at the reception Dean Clifford whispered to me that I'd be getting a "really big" scholarship in a couple weeks, which was awesome. So was the free beer.
2/8
Xs20 wrote:
Princess Consuela wrote:I don't know if this has been talked about already, but does anyone know how long scholarship decisions take after you get the mail saying they're considering you? Also, I'm taking the LSAT again tomorrow so do you think they'll wait for that score before they offer anything?
Scholarships are supposed to come out mid to late February.

Not totally sure about the LSAT retake, but I'd imagine they'll offer you something along with everyone else, and then increase it if you improve your LSAT score. Total guess, though.

eta: scooped
2/21
andy261 wrote:Ugh work is soul-crushing today.

Anyways, schollies will be out according to JL (does no one else correspond with her?) 'sometime in the next week.' They are definitely not in the office today but appear to be working from home.
2/26
cusenation wrote:UPDATE

Called Laybold. SCHOLLIES WILL BE DISTRIBUTED WITHIN THE NEXT TWO DAYS. They're finalizing them today.

Asked about decisions as well, got a typical "depends on the application" response
3/1
cusenation wrote:
timeandspace11 wrote:I want a scholarship :cry:
I was told that it was "very likely that they won't come out until early next week" a few minutes ago.

not JL or MAC, just standard officer worker at the adcomm office, so take it with a grain of salt. But not getting my hopes too high for today
:|
Wow. Heavy research :impressed:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:26 pm

Also :|

2012Lsatscore

Silver

Post by 2012Lsatscore » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:27 pm

Last edited by 2012Lsatscore on Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

wannabelawstudent

Gold

Post by wannabelawstudent » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:28 pm

I love WUSTL.
Last edited by wannabelawstudent on Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Post by alwayssunnyinfl » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:28 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote:Jeez, if they treat their admitted students this poorly, just imagine how bad it is to actually be a student.

http://lawschoolexpert.com/picking-law- ... plication/

http://law.wustl.edu/contact/index.aspx
:lol:

You're relentless

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”