Texas Tech C/O 2016 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
A12345
Posts: 229
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:53 am

Re: Texas Tech C/O 2016 Applicants

Postby A12345 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:25 pm

b.gump81 wrote:That's exactly what I meant too. Using the Greg Fouratt example, USAO may not pay as much as starting biglaw, but I would still qualify it as a "high paying job." Same would go for a starting job at a litigation boutique, some midlaw gig, small oil and gas firm, etc. I was just clarifying that "high paying job" doesn't automatically mean biglaw for everyone and that journal isn't an absolute requirement for a decent paying job. $75,000 or whatever may not be high to you, but it may be high to others, and it certainly is high relative to most fresh law grad jobs.



I consider 75k to be a pretty high paying job, especially considering the low cost of living in texas. However, as the pay goes up so does the requirement of good grades/journal. If a small lit boutique is paying 110k to 1st year attorneys they are still going to want people with good/great grades for the most part because they can get those type of students when they are paying that much. You probably aren't getting a U.S. Attorney job w/o really good grades anyways.

User avatar
b.gump81
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: Texas Tech C/O 2016 Applicants

Postby b.gump81 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:42 pm

A12345 wrote:I consider 75k to be a pretty high paying job, especially considering the low cost of living in texas. However, as the pay goes up so does the requirement of good grades/journal. If a small lit boutique is paying 110k to 1st year attorneys they are still going to want people with good/great grades for the most part because they can get those type of students when they are paying that much. You probably aren't getting a U.S. Attorney job w/o really good grades anyways.


So what's your point exactly? Seems to me that you now agree that journal is not required for high paying jobs from Tech. Yes, good to great grades are, but that was never an issue, and that's going to be true for any school for the most part. Journal is pretty much required for biglaw, but there are other high paying jobs that look to skills other than journal (e.g. Lit boutique wanting national moot court or oil and gas firm wanting lots of experience in energy field).

A12345
Posts: 229
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:53 am

Re: Texas Tech C/O 2016 Applicants

Postby A12345 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:46 pm

b.gump81 wrote:
A12345 wrote:I consider 75k to be a pretty high paying job, especially considering the low cost of living in texas. However, as the pay goes up so does the requirement of good grades/journal. If a small lit boutique is paying 110k to 1st year attorneys they are still going to want people with good/great grades for the most part because they can get those type of students when they are paying that much. You probably aren't getting a U.S. Attorney job w/o really good grades anyways.


So what's your point exactly? Seems to me that you now agree that journal is not required for high paying jobs from Tech. Yes, good to great grades are, but that was never an issue, and that's going to be true for any school for the most part. Journal is pretty much required for biglaw, but there are other high paying jobs that look to skills other than journal (e.g. Lit boutique wanting national moot court or oil and gas firm wanting lots of experience in energy field).



This is annoying. Obviously nothing is sure to guarantee a good job. All I was saying is if you want a high-paying job, it is best to do a journal because many high-paying jobs think it is important. If you choose not to do a journal you are potentially putting yourself below peer applicants. Journals, with law review mattering much more than the others, is highly valued by nearly every type of firm. Whereas, many places do not care about moot court competitions, board of barristers, student organizations, nearly as much. After talking to several of my classmates and friends at other law schools, many of them talked about how in interviews the interviewers said they wanted strong litigators. But then they went and hired/gave callbacks to mostly people on law review, many of whom had never had much or any experience doing advocacy competitions.

TLDR version: it's all a crapshoot. Do the annoying write-on packet so you don't have to worry about regretting not doing it if you end up jobless.

User avatar
chem!
Posts: 9380
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:03 pm

Re: Texas Tech C/O 2016 Applicants

Postby chem! » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:02 pm

Just came in to say I was accepted and offered a nice scholarship on 1/16. I went to UG at Tech, and didn't mind Lubbock at all. The campus is nice and there was plenty to do (so much that my uGPA suffered.) :lol: Yes, every once in a while it smells like a feed lot and the wind (and blowing dirt) is not to be believed, but it is a nice little city. You can go to NM to ski quite easily if that's your gig.

I haven't made a firm decision yet, but due to my having school-aged sons, owning a home in Dallas and the fact that it doesn't look like Lubbock is on the domicile list for my husband, it looks like I'll be doing SMU as a PT student. I'm a little heartsick, because I have a special place in my heart for Tech. Dean Perez is also a heck of a nice guy and if he's any indication of the people in general at the school, it sounds like a positive place to be.

User avatar
b.gump81
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: Texas Tech C/O 2016 Applicants

Postby b.gump81 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:43 am

A12345 wrote:This is annoying. Obviously nothing is sure to guarantee a good job. All I was saying is if you want a high-paying job, it is best to do a journal because many high-paying jobs think it is important. If you choose not to do a journal you are potentially putting yourself below peer applicants. Journals, with law review mattering much more than the others, is highly valued by nearly every type of firm. Whereas, many places do not care about moot court competitions, board of barristers, student organizations, nearly as much. After talking to several of my classmates and friends at other law schools, many of them talked about how in interviews the interviewers said they wanted strong litigators. But then they went and hired/gave callbacks to mostly people on law review, many of whom had never had much or any experience doing advocacy competitions.

TLDR version: it's all a crapshoot. Do the annoying write-on packet so you don't have to worry about regretting not doing it if you end up jobless.


I agree that this is annoying, because you keep changing your argument and still seem to be missing the point. First it was "you NEED to do journal to get a high paying job," and now it is basically "you should really consider journal because a lot of high paying jobs favor it." If you had said that in the first place, then we wouldn't have had this back and forth. It is pretty common knowledge that journal is generally a good thing and that a lot of firms/careers want you to have it. However, it is a completely different thing to say that you NEED it to get a "high paying job," which is what you said in the first place. Glad we got that cleared up though.

I will say that journal isn't some Godsend that everyone needs to do, unlike what you're suggesting. There are plenty of careers that do not call for journal, such as the litigation jobs already mentioned, criminal law, public interest, etc. This is exactly why Greg Fouratt turned down an invitation for law review. He knew that there were more beneficial things he could do to attain his career goals than be on a journal. I definitely think every student should strongly consider it, but they also need to consider the negatives of being on a journal, namely the huge time commitment that takes away from studying and other activities they could be doing. So while journal is usually a plus to most resumes, it isn't some absolute that is needed to reach success from Tech Law; there are plenty of ways to do that, depending on one's individual career goals. But yes, for pretty much any firm job, it is a huge plus.

PM me if you want to have the last word. There's no need to keep this going on this thread.

Edit to add about the PM.
Last edited by b.gump81 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
b.gump81
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: Texas Tech C/O 2016 Applicants

Postby b.gump81 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:46 am

chem! wrote:Just came in to say I was accepted and offered a nice scholarship on 1/16. I went to UG at Tech, and didn't mind Lubbock at all. The campus is nice and there was plenty to do (so much that my uGPA suffered.) :lol: Yes, every once in a while it smells like a feed lot and the wind (and blowing dirt) is not to be believed, but it is a nice little city. You can go to NM to ski quite easily if that's your gig.

I haven't made a firm decision yet, but due to my having school-aged sons, owning a home in Dallas and the fact that it doesn't look like Lubbock is on the domicile list for my husband, it looks like I'll be doing SMU as a PT student. I'm a little heartsick, because I have a special place in my heart for Tech. Dean Perez is also a heck of a nice guy and if he's any indication of the people in general at the school, it sounds like a positive place to be.


Best of luck, wherever you decide.

JS281
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:26 pm

Re: Texas Tech C/O 2016 Applicants

Postby JS281 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:05 pm

Earlier this week I was waitlisted, which was kind of disappointing. Seems kind of early for that too.


Anybody else going (or gone) through this? Any advice?

User avatar
chem!
Posts: 9380
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:03 pm

Re: Texas Tech C/O 2016 Applicants

Postby chem! » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:09 pm

b.gump81 wrote:
chem! wrote:Just came in to say I was accepted and offered a nice scholarship on 1/16. I went to UG at Tech, and didn't mind Lubbock at all. The campus is nice and there was plenty to do (so much that my uGPA suffered.) :lol: Yes, every once in a while it smells like a feed lot and the wind (and blowing dirt) is not to be believed, but it is a nice little city. You can go to NM to ski quite easily if that's your gig.

I haven't made a firm decision yet, but due to my having school-aged sons, owning a home in Dallas and the fact that it doesn't look like Lubbock is on the domicile list for my husband, it looks like I'll be doing SMU as a PT student. I'm a little heartsick, because I have a special place in my heart for Tech. Dean Perez is also a heck of a nice guy and if he's any indication of the people in general at the school, it sounds like a positive place to be.


Best of luck, wherever you decide.

Thank you!

User avatar
b.gump81
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: Texas Tech C/O 2016 Applicants

Postby b.gump81 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:37 pm

JS281 wrote:Earlier this week I was waitlisted, which was kind of disappointing. Seems kind of early for that too.


Anybody else going (or gone) through this? Any advice?


Send a LOCI that expresses your commitment to coming if admitted and exactly why you would choose Tech over every other school you applied to. Also, update them with any new information, e.g. new job, award, etc.

My girlfriend was wait listed during our cycle, and I believe she was admitted sometime in April. However, it was a completely different admissions office back then and she had the benefit of being able to go to accepted student events as my date and talking with faculty and staff, and I don't know how much of an effect that had on her getting off the waitlist.

I'd also recommend that you set up a visit. Take a tour of the school, sit in on a class, and talk with the admissions staff. It wouldn't hurt, and it is another way you can show you're committed to coming.

Holynorth
Posts: 136
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:18 pm

Re: Texas Tech C/O 2016 Applicants

Postby Holynorth » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:17 pm

.
Last edited by Holynorth on Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
b.gump81
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: Texas Tech C/O 2016 Applicants

Postby b.gump81 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:32 pm

Holynorth wrote:Applied 2/13, accepted 2/19. Waiting on other applications to make my final decision.


Good luck with the decision. I saw you posted in SMU's Class of 2016 thread and an OL stated he would pay sticker at SMU over Tech, so I thought I would counter that by saying I have a friend that did just that. He graduated cum laude from SMU last May and wanted to do tax/corporate stuff. He finally got a job last week with a solo in an area of law he is completely uninterested in (think criminal defense/immigration/personal injury). He's now 150K+ in debt and had to take the job because the loan repayments were already starting to pile up.

I know this is a completely anecdotal case, but I figured if the 0L was going to make such claims then I might as well too.

Holynorth
Posts: 136
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:18 pm

Re: Texas Tech C/O 2016 Applicants

Postby Holynorth » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:26 am

.
Last edited by Holynorth on Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
osu888
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:35 pm

Re: Texas Tech C/O 2016 Applicants

Postby osu888 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:51 pm

I applied beginning of February and was accepted two weeks thereafter. I'm from California (UG at Oklahoma State though) and Tech is my likely choice as of now. I've been doing a lot of research the past few days after a few of my other choices did not come through in terms of scholarship money (OKCU and Tulsa). With my academic report, I was surprised yet thankful for the scholarship offer from Tech as it will most likely be my school as of next Fall.

I know absolutely nothing about Tech other than we OSU Cowboys own them in football and bball as of recently. :P

Now comes the hard part for me, I have no money other than what I get from my current job and I will not be taking my car to Tech. I can't even make it out to the Accepted Student Event. I looked into On-Campus housing but it just does not seem feasible considering the plethora of UG's. I am extremely excited about this opportunity but finding a viable living option with potentially a roommate would be awesome. Do you think the FB 2016 group would be the best place to start?

I cannot wait to get to Lubbock!

User avatar
b.gump81
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: Texas Tech C/O 2016 Applicants

Postby b.gump81 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:22 pm

osu888 wrote:I applied beginning of February and was accepted two weeks thereafter. I'm from California (UG at Oklahoma State though) and Tech is my likely choice as of now. I've been doing a lot of research the past few days after a few of my other choices did not come through in terms of scholarship money (OKCU and Tulsa). With my academic report, I was surprised yet thankful for the scholarship offer from Tech as it will most likely be my school as of next Fall.

I know absolutely nothing about Tech other than we OSU Cowboys own them in football and bball as of recently. :P

Now comes the hard part for me, I have no money other than what I get from my current job and I will not be taking my car to Tech. I can't even make it out to the Accepted Student Event. I looked into On-Campus housing but it just does not seem feasible considering the plethora of UG's. I am extremely excited about this opportunity but finding a viable living option with potentially a roommate would be awesome. Do you think the FB 2016 group would be the best place to start?

I cannot wait to get to Lubbock!


Definitely start with the FB group. I'm not a member of it, but it says there are over a 100 members of prospective/incoming students, so it may be a good place to see if you and anyone want to room together. But honestly though, I would advise against having a roommate your first year, if you can afford living on your own through financial aid (which you will because the COL of Lubbock is crazy low). Some of the current students in the FB group may say otherwise, but I liked not having a roommate because I was able to study at my place and not have to worry about another person's schedule. This is even more important for you because you won't be able to just hop in a car and go to the library if your roommate is being loud or something. However, I do know other people that had roommates and they said it was nice to have someone there to vent with and discuss how much they hated law school (not Tech, just law school work in general). It may also be nice if you can find someone cool enough to let you borrow their car or that doesn't mind giving you rides.

I'd look into Murray Hall and Carpenter/Wells for on campus living. I don't know much about them for grad students, but I lived there a year in undergrad and they were ok and not your typical UG hangout with parties and what not. They also have a food court and minimart, so you wouldn't have to hitch a ride every time you needed groceries. Otherwise, look at Tech Terrace and the area around Covenant Hospital. These places are within biking distance, and Tech Terrace has its own grocery store.

User avatar
osu888
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:35 pm

Re: Texas Tech C/O 2016 Applicants

Postby osu888 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:26 pm

Thank you B. Gump, I will take note of the places you stated and look into them.

User avatar
osu888
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:35 pm

Re: Texas Tech C/O 2016 Applicants

Postby osu888 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:10 pm

Keeping in mind I will have no vehicle, where do you recommend living if it were to be just myself and for the lowest/avg price?

User avatar
b.gump81
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: Texas Tech C/O 2016 Applicants

Postby b.gump81 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:59 pm

osu888 wrote:Keeping in mind I will have no vehicle, where do you recommend living if it were to be just myself and for the lowest/avg price?


That's a tough one because the only places within walking/biking distance are also pretty pricey. Tech Terrace is probably the most expensive, and I'm not too sure about carpenter/wells and Murray. Did you look into them at all?

My girlfriend lived in the Medical District all three years, had a nice one bedroom duplex with an office, and i think paid like $650/month. However, her landlord is upping the price to $750/month and adding a hefty pet deposit and stuff.

If I wasn't on my phone, I'd post a map and chart it out, but if it were me, I wouldn't want to live farther south than 28th or farther east than Boston. Again that's just me, but it would really get old having to ride a bike 20-30 minutes just to get to class each day.

Now that think about it, getting a roommate that will be able to give you rides might be the best for you. It will also make rent lower. If you do find a roommate, write a letter to admissions and ask to be placed in the same section. Just a thought, but it might possibly be a good idea to have classes at the same time so that it will be easy to carpool. The down side though is that you will pretty much be with that person 24-7 unless he/she leaves the house.

Sorry I couldn't be more help. I'm about to head to HH and dinner, and I'll ask everyone there if they walk/bike to class or know of anyone that does.

User avatar
osu888
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:35 pm

Re: Texas Tech C/O 2016 Applicants

Postby osu888 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:13 pm

Wow, I really appreciate that b. gump... Thank you.

Holynorth
Posts: 136
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:18 pm

Re: Texas Tech C/O 2016 Applicants

Postby Holynorth » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:17 pm

.
Last edited by Holynorth on Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
b.gump81
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: Texas Tech C/O 2016 Applicants

Postby b.gump81 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:49 pm

Holynorth wrote:I received a scholarship, but I can't tell if it's per year or per three years. The email says it's 8,000 and renewable each year. Does this mean it's 2.6k each year or 8k per year?


$8000 per year. What are the stips?

Holynorth
Posts: 136
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:18 pm

Re: Texas Tech C/O 2016 Applicants

Postby Holynorth » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:54 pm

.
Last edited by Holynorth on Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
b.gump81
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: Texas Tech C/O 2016 Applicants

Postby b.gump81 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:00 pm

Holynorth wrote:
b.gump81 wrote:
Holynorth wrote:I received a scholarship, but I can't tell if it's per year or per three years. The email says it's 8,000 and renewable each year. Does this mean it's 2.6k each year or 8k per year?


$8000 per year. What are the stips?


The email says top 50% and the attached PDF says good standing. So, I'm assuming top 50%.


That's weird. I say call them next week (Spring Break is this week) and get clarification. The difference can be pretty significant, IMO.

Holynorth
Posts: 136
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:18 pm

Re: Texas Tech C/O 2016 Applicants

Postby Holynorth » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:24 pm

.
Last edited by Holynorth on Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
hobie2515
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: Texas Tech C/O 2016 Applicants

Postby hobie2515 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:06 pm

Just withdrew. Good luck and god speed to those on the WL.

Holynorth
Posts: 136
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:18 pm

Re: Texas Tech C/O 2016 Applicants

Postby Holynorth » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:56 pm

.
Last edited by Holynorth on Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”