Univ of Pittsburgh c/o 2016 (2012-2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
mg1185
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:37 pm

Re: Univ of Pittsburgh c/o 2016 (2012-2013)

Postby mg1185 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:26 pm

historicrep wrote:
mg1185 wrote:Hey everyone, checking in- app was complete since 1/22, just went into review today.
3.4/161- hoping to get a decision soon!

Likewise... I have acceptances from a few better schools in the past week, but hoping Pittsburgh maybe comes through with some good money.


Same here. Good luck!

kferden
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:20 pm

Re: Univ of Pittsburgh c/o 2016 (2012-2013)

Postby kferden » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:21 pm

If you are still under review, I would suggest just giving the admissions office a call. I talked to them 2/19 at 3:30 and they said that it was still in review and they didn't know when it would be completed -- it got marked 'Accepted' before 5:00pm that same day. It's worth a shot if you are still waiting!

In with $14k/year!

white1ce
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:09 pm

Re: Univ of Pittsburgh c/o 2016 (2012-2013)

Postby white1ce » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:21 pm

I received my acceptance packet in the mail today and there was no mention of scholarship, safe to assume that they didn't give me one?

historicrep
Posts: 94
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:38 pm

Re: Univ of Pittsburgh c/o 2016 (2012-2013)

Postby historicrep » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:37 am

Accepted. Haven't heard anything on scholarship.

OnTheRise
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:49 am

Re: Univ of Pittsburgh c/o 2016 (2012-2013)

Postby OnTheRise » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:07 pm

Does anyone know what the appropriate dress is for the open house on the 22nd

shantih
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:52 pm

Re: Univ of Pittsburgh c/o 2016 (2012-2013)

Postby shantih » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:54 pm

has anyone heard back regarding the public interest scholarship?

mg1185
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:37 pm

Re: Univ of Pittsburgh c/o 2016 (2012-2013)

Postby mg1185 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:19 am

white1ce wrote:I received my acceptance packet in the mail today and there was no mention of scholarship, safe to assume that they didn't give me one?


I received my scholarship letter with my acceptance packet. You could always call admissions to confirm. They provided me with a lot of info over the phone.

mg1185
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:37 pm

Re: Univ of Pittsburgh c/o 2016 (2012-2013)

Postby mg1185 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:21 am

OnTheRise wrote:Does anyone know what the appropriate dress is for the open house on the 22nd


From what I've read about other open house events, business casual at most- but nice jeans and a sweater should do the trick as well. It seems that for most open house events, the rationale is that if it is just an open house, and you're not interviewing for admission, casual is perfectly fine. You're already in and will be wandering around campus throughout the day- so make sure you're comfortable!

mg1185
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:37 pm

Re: Univ of Pittsburgh c/o 2016 (2012-2013)

Postby mg1185 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:27 am

mhd08 wrote:3L here. Feel free to ask any questions about Pitt, places to live, the city, etc.


I could use some guidance on places to live, if you have time. I currently live in Buffalo, NY- Elmwood Village area- lots of art galleries/boutiques/restaurants/bars within walking distance... I'd like an area with a similar feel in Pittsburgh if possible. I currently pay $880/mo for a 3 bedroom, all included. Any chance I could find a similar type of area in that price range in Pittsburgh?

Also, I've been awarded a scholarship with a 3.0 GPA stipulation- how hard is that to keep? I've read about other schools that put all scholarship students in the same section so that many lose their scholarship after their first year... or that at some schools the way the grades are curved make it difficult to keep the required GPA... I honestly don't quite understand how it all works, so any insight on that would be awesome as well. Thanks!

Thanks!

mg1185
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:37 pm

Re: Univ of Pittsburgh c/o 2016 (2012-2013)

Postby mg1185 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:29 am

Oh, and I forgot to update earlier- I've been accepted and awarded $25k/yr. Pretty psyched! :D

User avatar
mhd08
Posts: 318
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:42 am

Re: Univ of Pittsburgh c/o 2016 (2012-2013)

Postby mhd08 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:18 pm

mg1185 wrote:
mhd08 wrote:3L here. Feel free to ask any questions about Pitt, places to live, the city, etc.


I could use some guidance on places to live, if you have time. I currently live in Buffalo, NY- Elmwood Village area- lots of art galleries/boutiques/restaurants/bars within walking distance... I'd like an area with a similar feel in Pittsburgh if possible. I currently pay $880/mo for a 3 bedroom, all included. Any chance I could find a similar type of area in that price range in Pittsburgh?

Also, I've been awarded a scholarship with a 3.0 GPA stipulation- how hard is that to keep? I've read about other schools that put all scholarship students in the same section so that many lose their scholarship after their first year... or that at some schools the way the grades are curved make it difficult to keep the required GPA... I honestly don't quite understand how it all works, so any insight on that would be awesome as well. Thanks!

Thanks!


You should have no problem staying in that price range, especially if you're not looking for a 1 BR. During 1L I lived in a pretty nice 2 BR at $525 per BR and it was in the heart of Shadyside, which is one of the most expensive neighborhoods. I would recommend Shadyside, Friendship, and Lawrenceville. Lawrenceville is more of a hipster neighborhood and has the art gallery feel you're looking for. Most law students I know live in Shaydside and Friendship. Shadyside has tons of bars and restaurants and is where my friends and I usually end up on weekends. Friendship is basically an extension of Shadyside but is a little further from the bars so you pay less. That's where I currently live and I don't mind paying less to be a 15 minute walk as opposed to a 5 minute walk from the bars. I also really like Friendship because I'm very close to grocery stores and parking is way easier. I'm also very close to all the bus routes and it's really convenient to get downtown, which will be more important during 2L and 3L if you are in a practicum downtown (like me) or you have a job/internship downtown.

As far as scholarships, I haven't heard of any section stacking at Pitt. Most people I know who have scholarships have been able to keep them. If you do go under a 3.0 after 1L and lose your scholly they give you the opportunity to bring your GPA up to a 3.0 and they will re-award your scholarship starting 2L Spring (they won't reimburse you for the fall, though). If you don't bring it up after 2L fall I'm not sure if they extend that offer to the spring.

reverendt
Posts: 499
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:56 am

Re: Univ of Pittsburgh c/o 2016 (2012-2013)

Postby reverendt » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:15 pm

mg1185 wrote:
mhd08 wrote:3L here. Feel free to ask any questions about Pitt, places to live, the city, etc.


I could use some guidance on places to live, if you have time. I currently live in Buffalo, NY- Elmwood Village area- lots of art galleries/boutiques/restaurants/bars within walking distance... I'd like an area with a similar feel in Pittsburgh if possible. I currently pay $880/mo for a 3 bedroom, all included. Any chance I could find a similar type of area in that price range in Pittsburgh?

Also, I've been awarded a scholarship with a 3.0 GPA stipulation- how hard is that to keep? I've read about other schools that put all scholarship students in the same section so that many lose their scholarship after their first year... or that at some schools the way the grades are curved make it difficult to keep the required GPA... I honestly don't quite understand how it all works, so any insight on that would be awesome as well. Thanks!

Thanks!

Pitt alum here. They don't section stack. 3.0 is right about median I believe. That gives you about a 50/50 chance (of course the added motivation may help a little......)

kferden
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:20 pm

Re: Univ of Pittsburgh c/o 2016 (2012-2013)

Postby kferden » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:20 pm

Just withdrew application this morning. Good luck to all those still waiting!

NoMistakes
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:56 am

Re: Univ of Pittsburgh c/o 2016 (2012-2013)

Postby NoMistakes » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:48 pm

are notifications through via status checker?

User avatar
banana$$stand
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:32 pm

Re: Univ of Pittsburgh c/o 2016 (2012-2013)

Postby banana$$stand » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:21 pm

Can anyone comment on scholarship amounts for instate peeps?
More specifically is there anything in between 14k/yr and a full ride (historically)?

User avatar
kay2016
Posts: 1121
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:23 am

Re: Univ of Pittsburgh c/o 2016 (2012-2013)

Postby kay2016 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:31 pm

Withdrew. Good luck everyone. Still love pittsburgh

User avatar
Homelandsagreatshow
Posts: 168
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:19 pm

Re: Univ of Pittsburgh c/o 2016 (2012-2013)

Postby Homelandsagreatshow » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:33 pm

kayleighcheyenne wrote:Withdrew. Good luck everyone. Still love pittsburgh



Withdrawing too...Sorry Pitt, but the damage control that your Dean has been on recently, as well as your inability to give legitimate scholarships to Non-URMS has forced me to leave the city I've called home for the last 25 years.

User avatar
Greyhound42
Posts: 79
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:46 pm

Re: Univ of Pittsburgh c/o 2016 (2012-2013)

Postby Greyhound42 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:06 pm

banana$$stand wrote:Can anyone comment on scholarship amounts for instate peeps?
More specifically is there anything in between 14k/yr and a full ride (historically)?



I'm in-state was awarded a generous $20,000/yr plus the Leroy Lewis scholarship my first year, which is $5,000. Considering how cheap tuition would be I feel like it'd be crazy to not keep Pitt in my plans at least as a backup plan.
Has anyone else placed the deposit today? I'm looking to do so but this is the first deposit I'll be placing and can't find where to do it...

User avatar
banana$$stand
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:32 pm

Re: Univ of Pittsburgh c/o 2016 (2012-2013)

Postby banana$$stand » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:26 pm

Greyhound42 wrote:
banana$$stand wrote:Can anyone comment on scholarship amounts for instate peeps?
More specifically is there anything in between 14k/yr and a full ride (historically)?



I'm in-state was awarded a generous $20,000/yr plus the Leroy Lewis scholarship my first year, which is $5,000. Considering how cheap tuition would be I feel like it'd be crazy to not keep Pitt in my plans at least as a backup plan.
Has anyone else placed the deposit today? I'm looking to do so but this is the first deposit I'll be placing and can't find where to do it...




They have awarded me 20k/yr with the 3.0 stip. Was that their initial offer for you?
And in regards to the deposit.. you can just call their office with your credit card info (probably gonna do that myself later today).

User avatar
Greyhound42
Posts: 79
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:46 pm

Re: Univ of Pittsburgh c/o 2016 (2012-2013)

Postby Greyhound42 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:33 pm

banana$$stand wrote:
Greyhound42 wrote:
banana$$stand wrote:Can anyone comment on scholarship amounts for instate peeps?
More specifically is there anything in between 14k/yr and a full ride (historically)?



I'm in-state was awarded a generous $20,000/yr plus the Leroy Lewis scholarship my first year, which is $5,000. Considering how cheap tuition would be I feel like it'd be crazy to not keep Pitt in my plans at least as a backup plan.
Has anyone else placed the deposit today? I'm looking to do so but this is the first deposit I'll be placing and can't find where to do it...




They have awarded me 20k/yr with the 3.0 stip. Was that their initial offer for you?
And in regards to the deposit.. you can just call their office with your credit card info (probably gonna do that myself later today).



Thanks for the help! I just emailed the admissions office since we've been in recent contact, anyway. And no, it wasn't my original offer. That scholarship was reached after back-and-forth emails and re-consideration. I was very surprised/pleased at how flexible and helpful admissions was in this respect.

180 username by the way

User avatar
banana$$stand
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:32 pm

Re: Univ of Pittsburgh c/o 2016 (2012-2013)

Postby banana$$stand » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:39 pm

^^^

No problem Greyhound. I agree the admissions/financial aid offices have been great since day one. Pitt is up there for me because my cost of attendance will ultimately be really low.

I bet with yours numbers you can snag a full ride.
Also thanks for the username love.

historicrep
Posts: 94
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:38 pm

Re: Univ of Pittsburgh c/o 2016 (2012-2013)

Postby historicrep » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:33 pm

I'm going to try to negotiate my scholarship a bit higher, their initial increase took them from a school I'd like to attend for a variety of reasons but wasn't impressed with job prospects wise up to a school that I could easily see myself attending... with a bit more scholarship money.

Hope they're willing to go the rest of the way!!

NoMistakes
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:56 am

Re: Univ of Pittsburgh c/o 2016 (2012-2013)

Postby NoMistakes » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:48 am

any movement from anyone still under review??

joshuajsmith
Posts: 89
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:15 pm

Re: Univ of Pittsburgh c/o 2016 (2012-2013)

Postby joshuajsmith » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:02 pm

Greyhound42 wrote:
banana$$stand wrote:
Greyhound42 wrote:
banana$$stand wrote:Can anyone comment on scholarship amounts for instate peeps?
More specifically is there anything in between 14k/yr and a full ride (historically)?



I'm in-state was awarded a generous $20,000/yr plus the Leroy Lewis scholarship my first year, which is $5,000. Considering how cheap tuition would be I feel like it'd be crazy to not keep Pitt in my plans at least as a backup plan.
Has anyone else placed the deposit today? I'm looking to do so but this is the first deposit I'll be placing and can't find where to do it...




They have awarded me 20k/yr with the 3.0 stip. Was that their initial offer for you?
And in regards to the deposit.. you can just call their office with your credit card info (probably gonna do that myself later today).



Thanks for the help! I just emailed the admissions office since we've been in recent contact, anyway. And no, it wasn't my original offer. That scholarship was reached after back-and-forth emails and re-consideration. I was very surprised/pleased at how flexible and helpful admissions was in this respect.

180 username by the way


I'm just curious how long it took you guys to hear back on scholarship reconsideration?

User avatar
Greyhound42
Posts: 79
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:46 pm

Re: Univ of Pittsburgh c/o 2016 (2012-2013)

Postby Greyhound42 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:06 pm

joshuajsmith wrote:
I'm just curious how long it took you guys to hear back on scholarship reconsideration?


~ 2-3 days, I believe




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”