Univ of Pittsburgh c/o 2016 (2012-2013) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
banana$$stand

New

Re: Univ of Pittsburgh c/o 2016 (2012-2013)

Post by banana$$stand » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:48 pm

Greyhound42 wrote:
joshuajsmith wrote:
I'm just curious how long it took you guys to hear back on scholarship reconsideration?
~ 2-3 days, I believe

+1
Pitt's financial aid office has been really responsive since I started negotiating a few months back.

historicrep

New

Post by historicrep » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:19 pm

I have to say--

I am incredibly pleased with Pittsburgh's willingness to talk about financial concerns and scholarship negotiation. Their financial aid office (Meme, Charmaine) have been absolutely fantastic in dealing with me.

Placed my deposit yesterday; hoping to hear back on scholarship concern here in short time and make it work. I'm down to Pittsburgh and Minnesota, and while Minnesota may be the better option from a future financial point of view (lower stipulation, better hiring numbers), I'm hoping that Pitt blows me away so I can't say no... love the city, love the school, and would be more than pleased to make it my home for the next three (and hopefully more!) years.

NoMistakes

New

Post by NoMistakes » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:34 pm

when is Pitt's seat deposit due?

mg1185

New

Post by mg1185 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:25 pm

They were really great negotiating with me scholarship wise as well. Everyone was pleasant, helpful, welcoming, and understanding of my financial concerns. I honestly was not terribly hopeful about Pitt looking at LSN scholarship amounts for the past few years, and their initial offer was on the low end. I was blown away by the increase they offered me, and I put my deposit in last Friday- I wouldn't mind at all staying in Pittsburgh long-term, and from what I've heard employment prospects locally are pretty decent coming out of Pitt. If I can qualify for in-state tuition for 2L and 3L... I'll be paying less for law school than I did to go to a state school for undergrad.

FYI Seat deposits were due Monday 4/1- not sure if they'll accept them late, but I'd call to find out. I am pretty sure they will allow you to charge a card over the phone to make your deposit.

Now I'm looking for an apartment obsessively.... Luckily I live only about 3 1/2 hrs away, so frequent day trips to explore are possible. If anyone can recommend a good rental company/landlord (preferably one that doesn't check credit- mine isn't so hot) please let me know! I'm looking in the Lawrenceville area right now, but I'm open to other options in the city. I just don't want to live in the woods somewhere- any advice would be appreciated! (feel free to PM me if you prefer)

thereelfeels

New

Post by thereelfeels » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:32 pm

My acceptance materials said that the first seat deposit was due April 15; it was one of the forms that I had gotten in my initial acceptance packet.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mg1185

New

Post by mg1185 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:44 pm

I guess it depends on acceptance date then... which makes sense. Mine was due this past Monday, but I was accepted in late Feb/early March, if I remember correctly.

mhd08

Bronze

Post by mhd08 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:15 am

mg1185 wrote:They were really great negotiating with me scholarship wise as well. Everyone was pleasant, helpful, welcoming, and understanding of my financial concerns. I honestly was not terribly hopeful about Pitt looking at LSN scholarship amounts for the past few years, and their initial offer was on the low end. I was blown away by the increase they offered me, and I put my deposit in last Friday- I wouldn't mind at all staying in Pittsburgh long-term, and from what I've heard employment prospects locally are pretty decent coming out of Pitt. If I can qualify for in-state tuition for 2L and 3L... I'll be paying less for law school than I did to go to a state school for undergrad.

FYI Seat deposits were due Monday 4/1- not sure if they'll accept them late, but I'd call to find out. I am pretty sure they will allow you to charge a card over the phone to make your deposit.

Now I'm looking for an apartment obsessively.... Luckily I live only about 3 1/2 hrs away, so frequent day trips to explore are possible. If anyone can recommend a good rental company/landlord (preferably one that doesn't check credit- mine isn't so hot) please let me know! I'm looking in the Lawrenceville area right now, but I'm open to other options in the city. I just don't want to live in the woods somewhere- any advice would be appreciated! (feel free to PM me if you prefer)
Walnut Capital is the best management company I've dealt with by far. I have JJ Land now and you may not read great things about them online but they have a lot of cheap apartments and I haven't had too many problems with them. They fix things when they say they will, which is all I care about. Franklin West is also supposed to be great but only if you can afford $$$.

mg1185

New

Post by mg1185 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:26 am

Thanks so much, I'll check them out! Any areas you would recommend staying out of (unsafe neighborhoods?)-
I'm not looking for suburban safety, unlocked doors, and kids playing in the street- but I'd rather not have to deal with drughouses and burglaries. We spent quite a few years in that kind of neighborhood in Buffalo, and I'd rather not have to do that again.

mhd08

Bronze

Post by mhd08 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:57 pm

mg1185 wrote:Thanks so much, I'll check them out! Any areas you would recommend staying out of (unsafe neighborhoods?)-
I'm not looking for suburban safety, unlocked doors, and kids playing in the street- but I'd rather not have to deal with drughouses and burglaries. We spent quite a few years in that kind of neighborhood in Buffalo, and I'd rather not have to do that again.
I'm not from Pittsburgh so I'm really only familiar with the neighborhoods near Oakland. You might want to get someone else's opinion on neighborhoods outside of that area. But from what I do know I'd say to definitely stay away from Wilkinsburg and probably Oakland. Oakland is a lot of undergrads and, from what I hear, a lot of slumlords, but if you want to be really close to the law school I guess it's not the worst area. I would say to check out Shadyside, Lawrenceville, Bloomfield and Squirrel Hill. Shadyside, IMO, is the nicest area, but at the same time it's a target for car theft because it's a more affluent neigborhood. You're in a city so there's going to be crime everywhere you go. Nothing horrible that I've heard of, though.

Hope this helps.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kferden

New

Post by kferden » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:04 pm

If you're not averse to living a little way from everything (35 minute bus ride to campus), the apartment complex I'm in now is pretty cheap and has free garage parking included. PM if you'd like any other info on apartments/areas to look for.

reverendt

Bronze

Post by reverendt » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:09 pm

mg1185 wrote:Thanks so much, I'll check them out! Any areas you would recommend staying out of (unsafe neighborhoods?)-
I've lived in Regent Square for 5 years and I love it. It's a little less pricey than Shadyside or Squirrel Hill, it's got a great little business district and there's not a big problem with crime.
Plus, the 61A or 61B bus lines will get you to the law shcool.

mg1185

New

Post by mg1185 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:16 pm

mhd08 wrote:
I'm not from Pittsburgh so I'm really only familiar with the neighborhoods near Oakland. You might want to get someone else's opinion on neighborhoods outside of that area. But from what I do know I'd say to definitely stay away from Wilkinsburg and probably Oakland. Oakland is a lot of undergrads and, from what I hear, a lot of slumlords, but if you want to be really close to the law school I guess it's not the worst area. I would say to check out Shadyside, Lawrenceville, Bloomfield and Squirrel Hill. Shadyside, IMO, is the nicest area, but at the same time it's a target for car theft because it's a more affluent neigborhood. You're in a city so there's going to be crime everywhere you go. Nothing horrible that I've heard of, though.

Hope this helps.
Thanks, this definitely helps. These are actually some of the areas we've been looking at, particularly Lawrenceville, so I guess we're on the right track. Do you know anything about Regent Square? There's a rental company that has a lot of reasonably priced rentals there, but it is close to Wilkinsburg, so I'm on the fence about checking them out...

mg1185

New

Post by mg1185 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:18 pm

reverendt wrote:
I've lived in Regent Square for 5 years and I love it. It's a little less pricey than Shadyside or Squirrel Hill, it's got a great little business district and there's not a big problem with crime.
I posted asking about Regent Square before I saw your post- so maybe it's meant to be! haha
Any landlords or rental companies in Regent Square you would recommend?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kferden

New

Post by kferden » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:21 pm

Steiner Realty still might have properties in Regent Square but the majority may be in Edgewood (which is kind of similar area). Worth taking a look though.

I did some looking at their apartments last year and they looked pretty decent. Property manager seemed like a good guy too.

mhd08

Bronze

Post by mhd08 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:27 pm

mg1185 wrote:
reverendt wrote:
I posted asking about Regent Square before I saw your post- so maybe it's meant to be! haha
Any landlords or rental companies in Regent Square you would recommend?
The only thing I know about Regent Square is that there's an awesome breakfast place called Square Cafe. Otherwise, I'm clueless.

thereelfeels

New

Post by thereelfeels » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:32 pm

I've heard good things about Friendship. Any thoughts from current students? Planning on sending my deposit as I ride out waitlists at some other schools.

mhd08

Bronze

Post by mhd08 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:32 pm

thereelfeels wrote:I've heard good things about Friendship. Any thoughts from current students? Planning on sending my deposit as I ride out waitlists at some other schools.
I live there now and love it. It's close enough to Shadyside that I can walk to all the bars and restaurants but far enough that I don't pay Shadyside rent. It's really close to all the bus lines and grocery stores. I highly recommend it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mg1185

New

Post by mg1185 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:50 pm

mhd08 wrote:
thereelfeels wrote:I've heard good things about Friendship. Any thoughts from current students? Planning on sending my deposit as I ride out waitlists at some other schools.
I live there now and love it. It's close enough to Shadyside that I can walk to all the bars and restaurants but far enough that I don't pay Shadyside rent. It's really close to all the bus lines and grocery stores. I highly recommend it.
Any recommendations for landlords or rental companies in Friendship? Looks like most that are listed on craigslist are Forbes, and they don't allow dogs...

Gracie94

New

Post by Gracie94 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:52 pm

Withdrew with 14k/year. Good luck! :D

Kage3212

Bronze

Post by Kage3212 » Sun May 12, 2013 7:39 pm

For those attending Pitt, I have some books/supplements I willing to sell off at a fair price once you know your schedule/profs. Just shoot me a PM and we can go from there.

OnTheRise

New

Post by OnTheRise » Mon May 13, 2013 3:52 pm

I am also attending in the fall and am in desperate search of an apartment. If anyone, current students or other newcomers looking for housing, can offer any advice on locations, or landlords it would be very much appreciated.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ricking1288

New

Post by ricking1288 » Fri May 24, 2013 2:27 pm

Hey, I just finished my 1L at Pitt. Word of advice for housing. Do not rent from Lobos or Mozart, they are horrible. I didn't but I heard some crazy stories. If you can live in Shadyside, Squirrel Hill, or North Oakland. South side isn't bad either. I am living there next year and its cheap as shit. You ride the bus for free so getting to and from the law school from any of these places isn't a problem. Shadyside and Squirrel Hill are a little more expensive in terms of rent. If you find a place on Centre Ave and Millvale Ave or around that area, you will be close enough to walk to the school if you want, but far enough from where the undergrads live so if you want some quiet, you can get it. Thats where I lived last year and rent was pretty good, studio apartment for $675 with utilities and included. If you have any questions let me know.

derfs

New

Post by derfs » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:46 pm

For those who are matriculating at Pitt Law this upcoming year, I just got an email from Pitt Law saying that they've reconsidered my scholarship from $16k/yr. to $30k/yr. I withdrew my application back in March. Might help to know that they still have a bunch of scholarship money for those who still want to negotiate their scholarship.

throw-away-soon

New

Post by throw-away-soon » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:11 pm

mg1185 wrote:
mhd08 wrote:

Hope this helps.
Thanks, this definitely helps. These are actually some of the areas we've been looking at, particularly Lawrenceville, so I guess we're on the right track. Do you know anything about Regent Square? There's a rental company that has a lot of reasonably priced rentals there, but it is close to Wilkinsburg, so I'm on the fence about checking them out...
Pittsburgh lifer here, and I think Lawrenceville is incredibly overpriced, and has high crime rates and a lot of drugs. People ask way too much for apartments there because its a "trendy" hipster neighborhood. It's a bad area to live in IMO. I've worked there and my mom has for the last decade, and I wouldn't never live there, nor would my parents be happy if that's where I moved.

Highland park is better because its way cheaper and slightly safer. Friendship is okay. Bloomfield is solid and reasonable. Places like aspinwall and blawnox are like Lawrenceville and highland park price wise, but much safer and much more white, if that's something you want.

Squirell hill and shady side are over priced because students think it's nicer than it really is. Oakland is shitty and over run by drunken under grads, but it's super heap. You can get a place for under $300 a month.

I'm living in Harmarville/cheswick/fox chapel area, which is like 25 minutes away via car and is a quiet place to live, cheap, and around a bunch of nice and cheap places to eat and drink. I'm down to car pool with anyone near the area.

If you plan to drive, check out springdale, harmar, cheswick, fox chapel, aspinwall, blawnox, and west deer. Yeah you get a free bus pass, but the busses get super jammed during commuting times and run late. For instance, the 71b can just skip for an hour and there's no way of knowing if it is going to be an hour late. Like the one that comes around 430 will just not come until 530 randomly. It's nice to take the bus though, but it's not always pleasent.

I work in Oakland so driving is my best option. So if anyone lives on my way to Oakland I would be up for car pooling or working out an arrangement to pay for parking and gas.

If people have questions about the city, hmu on this site. I've lived here my whole life except for undergrad. I went through half a semester last yr and re enrolled this semester.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”