UNC Class of 2016

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
UNCLawCandidate

Re: UNC Class of 2016

Postby UNCLawCandidate » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:36 pm

I've been renting from Louise Beck Properties for a few year now. They manage properties all over the area that range from studio apartments to 6 room houses. I've found that their rents are little less than other agencies. Overall, their service has been ok, but you need to assert yourself in order to keep them honest. They are willing to negotiate rents, so ask. Go to http://www.louisebeckproperties.com/.

As for particular complexes, I have been at the University Garden condos for two years. They are the cheapest ok place in Chapel Hill. 8 min bus ride to Franklin St and 23 minutes or so to the law school. I am paying $625/ month for two bedrooms.
They are individually-owned condos, so you can rent them from Louise Beck Properties and others.

Be very wary about cheap apartments in Carrboro, especially along NC 54. These are fairly old complexes and can be very shady. I've known people who stayed at places like Royal Park and they had some really bad problems with crime.

Last, Estes Park Apartments is very cheap, but has some serious issues too. There is a lot of "foot traffic" and they have had a longterm bug issue.

DO NOT rent from Chapel Hill Rentals- http://www.chapelhillrentals.org/. The owner is a very weird guy named Eric Plow. He is also the Homeowner's Association manager for University Gardens. He is a slumlord and has been nothing but a pain in the ass for those who have worked with him. I won't do business with him and I suggest you follow my advice.

Just giving you guys the benefits of hindsight.

TBZ28

Postby TBZ28 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:56 pm

lawdaddy wrote:
TBZ28 wrote:Can any current students give some names of apartment complexes to consider? Preferably ones that are close to the law school? :)

there is no shortage of housing in Chapel Hill and Carrboro and the bus-system is pretty good for a small town.
parking on campus is an absolute nightmare and they will ticket your ass fast so be careful. Apparently UNC law gives out parking to 2 and 3l students lottery style - 1Ls bus bike or walk.

the closest apartment complex to the law school is glen lennox apartments.
they're nothing special, starting to show their age a bit and i hear rumors of roaches etc - but they're not bad either and definitely in a great location for law students.

http://glenlennoxapartments.com/

they're very close to the law school which is on the edge of campus and GL are just down the hill. It is walkable or bikable but just be aware that the town is called Chapel Hill and you'll be walking right up it ;-p
there's a bus stop right outside GL and the next stop is about a 3 minute walk from the law school. This is going to be a major route so you'll probably have a bus come every 10-20 minutes during peak hours which is nice.

if you look at glen lennox on google maps and go up highway 54 away from campus you'll see a few other apt and rental places - meadowmont is the neighborhood and has some rental places about .5-1 mile up the road and it's pricey but very nice. on the other side of the street and a bit further up is the Friday Center (UNC's continuing education center) there are a few nice condo places on Barbee Chapel Rd which are right on a great bus-line. past that is mostly houses/neighborhoods.

on the other side of campus (south) further into chapel hill and carrboro there are a LOT more options - but obviously these are farther from the law school. however once again the bus system isn't bad at all and more options generally means more bang for your buck. this could also mean more undergrads though if you're not careful.

finally on the northern edge of campus is Franklin street beyond which are many predominantly undergrad complexes.

TLDR - glenlennox is closest, meadowmont is next closest - both on highway 54 just down the road from the law school

hope that helps!

Thank you so much!! Very helpful. :)

CMHCLT

Postby CMHCLT » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:54 am

Withdrew and left scholarship. Didn't end up being much of a bargain when I considered the $5k tuition increase over the last three years and likely $3k over next three for in-state applicants.

Best of luck to everyone!

hoogs23

Postby hoogs23 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:26 pm

Withdrew

Hrun

Postby Hrun » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:21 pm

Withdrew as well. I wish UNC would negotiate. I really wanted to be in Chapel Hill this fall.

UNCLaw2016

Postby UNCLaw2016 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:39 pm

Anyone interested in sharing a three bedroom apartment in Alta Springs with another rising female 1L and me? Message me!

YouDontKnowMe

Postby YouDontKnowMe » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:09 pm

Here's a short article on getting off the wait list, if anyone's looking for info about that:

http://www.usnews.com/education/blogs/l ... -wait-list

bigdog9

Postby bigdog9 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:44 pm

Just wondering how important facebook and a smartphone are to success in law school. I have neither one. I just don't want the noise and clutter. That said, I know they can be useful tools. My question is will I find myself out of any critical loops or at any disadvantage, or is it just like regular life where most people have them but it doesn't really matter?

UNCLawCandidate

Postby UNCLawCandidate » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:48 pm

bigdog9 wrote:Just wondering how important facebook and a smartphone are to success in law school. I have neither one. I just don't want the noise and clutter. That said, I know they can be useful tools. My question is will I find myself out of any critical loops or at any disadvantage, or is it just like regular life where most people have them but it doesn't really matter?

You can get by without a smartphone for class purposes. There just isn't any real urgency that requires that you can get a professor's email at any time. If used responsibly, there are some productivity gains, but most of the time I just use my smartphone while riding the bus. Keep in mind though, that you may wish you had one for jobs and pro bono projects. A lot of times, employers used to instant email access expect everyone to have the same level of connectivity even though they don't give you a phone. Basically, it can be useful, but its not essential.

As for Facebook, you're going to have to join the cult. My class has a Facebook group that was created well before orientation and is still actively used for everything from party invites, to sharing documents, to advertising apartments, and event notices. My study group has a continuous Facebook group chat where we can bounce ideas off of each other as needed. One guy in the group isn't on Facebook and he is missing a lot of information. He is always a step behind. I hate to sound overly dramatic, but unless you really want to make a principled stand against the time-sucker that is Facebook, you're going to have to join.

sdmelzer

Postby sdmelzer » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:44 am

Withdrew. Good luck to everyone! UNC has never impressed me - and that's coming from a lifelong NC resident. Academics? Yes. People? No way.

CMC88

Postby CMC88 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:28 pm

Withdrew! Good luck everyone!

ghostface_killah

Postby ghostface_killah » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:35 pm

Hey guys. Congrats on getting in. I am a current 2L, male, and am currently looking for a roommate for next year. My place is located right on Franklin Street, behind 411 West. Seconds to the bars and about a 25 minute walk to classes through campus, which is very enjoyable. It's a 2 bedroom duplex with a nice yard and small deck. Let me know if anyone is looking for a place for next year. The lease starts August 1st but I am also looking to sublease for the summer so the move in date is super flexible. If not looking for housing, let me know if you guys have any other questions.

NoMistakes

Postby NoMistakes » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:09 pm

any movement?

Candyzkas2

Postby Candyzkas2 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:56 pm

Has anyone been admitted from the wait list since the seat deposit was due?

YouDontKnowMe

Postby YouDontKnowMe » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:27 pm

sdmelzer wrote:Withdrew. Good luck to everyone! UNC has never impressed me - and that's coming from a lifelong NC resident. Academics? Yes. People? No way.

Not sure why you had to share that last part, but best wishes anyway.

camerachick

Postby camerachick » Wed May 01, 2013 3:54 am

I got waitlisted today....just signing in my form....hopefully I'll find out before August...anyone have any idea how many people they actually take from the waitlist? currently I'm signed for Temple (I mean I just paid the first deposit)

boris78

Postby boris78 » Wed May 01, 2013 9:33 am

camerachick wrote:I got waitlisted today....just signing in my form....hopefully I'll find out before August...anyone have any idea how many people they actually take from the waitlist? currently I'm signed for Temple (I mean I just paid the first deposit)

I got WL two days ago also. Amusing. Applied in Jan, they don't look at my app until APRIL and then waitlist me. ....

jackattack17

Postby jackattack17 » Wed May 01, 2013 10:14 am

camerachick wrote:I got waitlisted today....just signing in my form....hopefully I'll find out before August...anyone have any idea how many people they actually take from the waitlist? currently I'm signed for Temple (I mean I just paid the first deposit)

I know of myself and 1 other classmate who got in off the WL over the summer and are attending (I'm a rising 3L). I found out at the very end of July, and he found out like the week before classes started I think. I know there are more, but I don't know how many. If you're in the area in the next few months, visit the school and poke your head into the admissions office and introduce yourself. Make sure they know you're still interested and will come at the drop of a hat (if that's really true--it was for me, and I think it really helped). And unless they specifically say not to send a LOCI, send a LOCI. Good luck.

NewYorkL

Postby NewYorkL » Wed May 01, 2013 5:53 pm

Waitlisted.

d1991

Postby d1991 » Wed May 01, 2013 6:57 pm

Anyone looking for housing? I'm from the area & headed elsewhere for law school in the fall and want to rent my totally furnished (with good taste if I say so myself) townhome out. It's in Durham but sort of between Duke & UNC so that is an ideal location if you have a roomie or a significant other going to Duke. Shoot me a message if interested!

mhaquinator

Postby mhaquinator » Wed May 01, 2013 8:37 pm

Just Waitlisted. Damn, that was a 2.5 month wait on a decision. I submitted my app in mid Feb.

Should I send in a LOCI? I've already been admitted to Colorado with a scholarship, and the tuition deposit is coming up for that. I live in CO. I think it'll take UNC a while to respond with anything if I send one in now, so I'm wondering if it's worth it. Since applying I also received Honors and have been recognised for contributions to diversity at Colorado.

ariadne328

Postby ariadne328 » Mon May 13, 2013 6:04 pm

Just got in off the WL! I have to give them a decision by the end of the day Wednesday. Did they get back to anyone else?

patricksouthern

Postby patricksouthern » Mon May 13, 2013 6:09 pm

ariadne328 wrote:Just got in off the WL! I have to give them a decision by the end of the day Wednesday. Did they get back to anyone else?

Yep. Just had the same happen.

khendel

Postby khendel » Mon May 13, 2013 7:01 pm

ariadne328 wrote:Just got in off the WL! I have to give them a decision by the end of the day Wednesday. Did they get back to anyone else?

Just got off the waitlist too! Not sure about accepting though, they don't offer money to waitlist offers and I would have to pay out-of state tuition.

boris78

Postby boris78 » Tue May 14, 2013 6:51 am

khendel wrote:

Just got off the waitlist too! Not sure about accepting though, they don't offer money to waitlist offers and I would have to pay out-of state tuition.

yes. just happened to me also. out of state is too much. anyone know if you can establish residency second year? I would be renting in my name, getting DL, wife will be coming, kids, etc.

anyone know how much seat deposit is?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”