UNC Class of 2016

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sr14
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:48 pm

Re: UNC Class of 2016

Postby sr14 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:00 pm

jackattack17 wrote:Waitlisters--there's hope. I'm a 2L at UNC and was waitlisted around this time when I applied (in November of that year), but I rode it out and was admitted the last week of July. It sucks, but hang in there til they get desperate haha. Also willing to answer questions here if y'all want.


Ahh, would LOVE for you to answer some questions!! Just for starters, how do you like being a UNC law student? Do you find that you enjoy most of your time or are you just slogging through? I ask because I have a few friends at various law schools and they seem to hate life.

Secondly, what do you think we should be doing to prepare for the fall, academically speaking? Any particular subject/situation/etc that you wish you had been better prepared for?

And what's the best area to live for someone who wants to be as far away from undergrads as possible but is near the bus route to school?

Thanks sooo much, I know how busy you guys are! :D

User avatar
jackattack17
Posts: 164
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:38 pm

Re: UNC Class of 2016

Postby jackattack17 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:16 pm

Happy to answer--beats outlining.

(1) You may have to be more specific, but I like being a UNC law student overall. Good profs, good classmates, great college town, low debt (in state, but no scholarship) decent employment outlook. I enjoy most of my classes and find them interesting and don't feel like I'm just slogging through. Yeah, the workload can be bad (esp 2L year), but if you manage your time well and still make time for yourself/friends/family, it's totally doable. I don't know of any of my classmates that truly hate life.

(2) Chill out, maybe read Getting to Maybe. But seriously, chill out. There's no point in trying to get ahead. I guess just go in with the mindset that law school is very unlike undergrad in that it's a full time job.

(3) Haha yeah you don't want to be near undergrads. A lot of kids live off of 54, which is convenient to several bus routes and the law school and far enough from campus that not a lot of undergrads live there.

sr14
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:48 pm

Re: UNC Class of 2016

Postby sr14 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:51 pm

jackattack17 wrote:Happy to answer--beats outlining.

(1) You may have to be more specific, but I like being a UNC law student overall. Good profs, good classmates, great college town, low debt (in state, but no scholarship) decent employment outlook. I enjoy most of my classes and find them interesting and don't feel like I'm just slogging through. Yeah, the workload can be bad (esp 2L year), but if you manage your time well and still make time for yourself/friends/family, it's totally doable. I don't know of any of my classmates that truly hate life.

(2) Chill out, maybe read Getting to Maybe. But seriously, chill out. There's no point in trying to get ahead. I guess just go in with the mindset that law school is very unlike undergrad in that it's a full time job.

(3) Haha yeah you don't want to be near undergrads. A lot of kids live off of 54, which is convenient to several bus routes and the law school and far enough from campus that not a lot of undergrads live there.


Awesome, thank you! Another question–what would first semester of 1L look like in terms of classes and scheduling? i.e. Crim Law, Civ Pro, legal writing, etc and timings? :)

User avatar
hobie2515
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: UNC Class of 2016

Postby hobie2515 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:19 pm

Wait listed debating whether to even go on since I've been accepted to better schools and actually want to enjoy my summer rather than wait on unc.

User avatar
ariadne328
Posts: 140
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:38 pm

Re: UNC Class of 2016

Postby ariadne328 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:22 pm

sr14 wrote:Awesome, thank you! Another question–what would first semester of 1L look like in terms of classes and scheduling? i.e. Crim Law, Civ Pro, legal writing, etc and timings? :)

Off of this, what are the general times you have class? (How early/late are you at the law school?) Are more students k-JD, out of school a few years, or a somewhat even mixture?

Thanks for answering questions! :)

User avatar
CO2016YEAH
Posts: 578
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:42 am

Re: UNC Class of 2016

Postby CO2016YEAH » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:21 am

Does UNC just issue Waitlist decisions at this point? Last I checked there were no rejections on LSN. Do all non-admits go to WL until the inevitable ding?

UNCLawCandidate
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:54 pm

Re: UNC Class of 2016

Postby UNCLawCandidate » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:37 pm

CO2016YEAH wrote:Does UNC just issue Waitlist decisions at this point? Last I checked there were no rejections on LSN. Do all non-admits go to WL until the inevitable ding?

Yeah everyone is going to get waitlisted at this point. I got off the waitlist in July. At first, I felt like everyone who got in earlier was superier to me, but I kicked ass my first semester and the wind is in my back.

ariadne328 wrote:Off of this, what are the general times you have class? (How early/late are you at the law school?) Are more students k-JD, out of school a few years, or a somewhat even mixture?

Thanks for answering questions! :)


They schedule all your 1L classes for you. You will have classes M-F and they will make you stay on campus from 9-4 or so.

As for the experience, its all over the place. There are definitely a lot of people with a few years experience after undergrad.

User avatar
zoidberg86
Posts: 101
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:05 pm

Re: UNC Class of 2016

Postby zoidberg86 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:36 pm

Withdrew today with money. Hopefully this opens something for you WLers.

Good luck - Chapel Hill is an amazing town!

bubc
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: UNC Class of 2016

Postby bubc » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:44 pm

I attended Admitted Student's day on April 5th. For those of you who did not receive scholarships, Dean States did say that after the first deposit deadline has passed, if there are remaining funds, they will review to see who did not receive a scholarship and distribute the remaining funds, based on merit of course, before the second deposit deadline has passed. In case any of you were wondering.

dmwelch29
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:58 pm

Re: UNC Class of 2016

Postby dmwelch29 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:36 pm

Paid my first seat deposit the other day and will be attending the Admitted Students Day on the 12!

racrfish
Posts: 208
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:31 am

Re: UNC Class of 2016

Postby racrfish » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:40 pm

.
Last edited by racrfish on Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigdog9
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:40 pm

Re: UNC Class of 2016

Postby bigdog9 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:55 pm

racrfish wrote:
dmwelch29 wrote:Paid my first seat deposit the other day and will be attending the Admitted Students Day on the 12!


Ditto :)


Me three :)

cltfrmclt
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:45 pm

Re: UNC Class of 2016

Postby cltfrmclt » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:51 pm

bigdog9 wrote:
racrfish wrote:
dmwelch29 wrote:Paid my first seat deposit the other day and will be attending the Admitted Students Day on the 12!


Ditto :)


Me three :)



Me four! :D

User avatar
jackattack17
Posts: 164
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:38 pm

Re: UNC Class of 2016

Postby jackattack17 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:05 pm

UNCLawCandidate wrote:
CO2016YEAH wrote:Does UNC just issue Waitlist decisions at this point? Last I checked there were no rejections on LSN. Do all non-admits go to WL until the inevitable ding?

Yeah everyone is going to get waitlisted at this point. I got off the waitlist in July. At first, I felt like everyone who got in earlier was superier to me, but I kicked ass my first semester and the wind is in my back.

ariadne328 wrote:Off of this, what are the general times you have class? (How early/late are you at the law school?) Are more students k-JD, out of school a few years, or a somewhat even mixture?

Thanks for answering questions! :)


They schedule all your 1L classes for you. You will have classes M-F and they will make you stay on campus from 9-4 or so.

As for the experience, its all over the place. There are definitely a lot of people with a few years experience after undergrad.


Yeah, expect to be on campus 8:45-4ish M-Th and a couple classes Friday as well (though hopefully you won't have the Friday morning writing section). As for students' ages, I agree, it's a pretty decent mix. Roughly 1/4 K-JD, 1/4 1-2 years out, 1/4 3-4 years out, 1/4 4+ years out.

TBZ28
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:27 pm

Re: UNC Class of 2016

Postby TBZ28 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:12 pm

Can any current students give some names of apartment complexes to consider? Preferably ones that are close to the law school? :)

User avatar
ariadne328
Posts: 140
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:38 pm

Re: UNC Class of 2016

Postby ariadne328 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:19 am

jackattack17 wrote:
UNCLawCandidate wrote:
They schedule all your 1L classes for you. You will have classes M-F and they will make you stay on campus from 9-4 or so.

As for the experience, its all over the place. There are definitely a lot of people with a few years experience after undergrad.


Yeah, expect to be on campus 8:45-4ish M-Th and a couple classes Friday as well (though hopefully you won't have the Friday morning writing section). As for students' ages, I agree, it's a pretty decent mix. Roughly 1/4 K-JD, 1/4 1-2 years out, 1/4 3-4 years out, 1/4 4+ years out.

Thanks for the information! :)

User avatar
djgrant
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:07 am

Re: UNC Class of 2016

Postby djgrant » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:28 pm

Just paid both deposits! I don't think I'm going to be able to attend admitted students day because I have class until late Friday, but if anyone is interested in rooming together, let me know. I go to NC State for undergrad so I am relatively in the area. I don't really know much about the apartments in chapel hill, but I figure it would be smarter to find a roommate or two, than to try and pay for a place on my own. Also, I realize that UNC is supposed to send out a housing email, but its not more another month or so, and I know (at least in Raleigh) this is the prime time to lock down housing.

lawdaddy
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:34 pm

Re: UNC Class of 2016

Postby lawdaddy » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:31 pm

TBZ28 wrote:Can any current students give some names of apartment complexes to consider? Preferably ones that are close to the law school? :)


there is no shortage of housing in Chapel Hill and Carrboro and the bus-system is pretty good for a small town.
parking on campus is an absolute nightmare and they will ticket your ass fast so be careful. Apparently UNC law gives out parking to 2 and 3l students lottery style - 1Ls bus bike or walk.

the closest apartment complex to the law school is glen lennox apartments.
they're nothing special, starting to show their age a bit and i hear rumors of roaches etc - but they're not bad either and definitely in a great location for law students.

http://glenlennoxapartments.com/

they're very close to the law school which is on the edge of campus and GL are just down the hill. It is walkable or bikable but just be aware that the town is called Chapel Hill and you'll be walking right up it ;-p
there's a bus stop right outside GL and the next stop is about a 3 minute walk from the law school. This is going to be a major route so you'll probably have a bus come every 10-20 minutes during peak hours which is nice.

if you look at glen lennox on google maps and go up highway 54 away from campus you'll see a few other apt and rental places - meadowmont is the neighborhood and has some rental places about .5-1 mile up the road and it's pricey but very nice. on the other side of the street and a bit further up is the Friday Center (UNC's continuing education center) there are a few nice condo places on Barbee Chapel Rd which are right on a great bus-line. past that is mostly houses/neighborhoods.

on the other side of campus (south) further into chapel hill and carrboro there are a LOT more options - but obviously these are farther from the law school. however once again the bus system isn't bad at all and more options generally means more bang for your buck. this could also mean more undergrads though if you're not careful.

finally on the northern edge of campus is Franklin street beyond which are many predominantly undergrad complexes.

TLDR - glenlennox is closest, meadowmont is next closest - both on highway 54 just down the road from the law school

hope that helps!

sharkfin1109
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:53 pm

Re: UNC Class of 2016

Postby sharkfin1109 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:56 pm

Interesting article today in The Daily Tar Heel. Thought I would share it with everyone

http://www.dailytarheel.com/article/201 ... 38bc9161e9

User avatar
alawstudentsometime
Posts: 117
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:03 pm

Re: UNC Class of 2016

Postby alawstudentsometime » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:07 am

Thanks for the article. Just sent my LOCI. The deposit deadline is Friday; eager for updates! From LSN it seems like a good number of people already withdrew.

Oldmanriver
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:00 pm

Re: UNC Class of 2016

Postby Oldmanriver » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:19 pm

.
Last edited by Oldmanriver on Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawdaddy
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:34 pm

Re: UNC Class of 2016

Postby lawdaddy » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:02 pm

Are any of you still sitting at "Application Complete"?

i'm not even under review at UNC. Should I pester them?

boris78
Posts: 82
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:47 pm

Re: UNC Class of 2016

Postby boris78 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:02 am

lawdaddy wrote:Are any of you still sitting at "Application Complete"?

i'm not even under review at UNC. Should I pester them?


yes. I emailed admissions. they told me my application hasn't even been looked at. they said all applicants will have a decision by May 1.

User avatar
YouDontKnowMe
Posts: 113
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:09 pm

Re: UNC Class of 2016

Postby YouDontKnowMe » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:09 pm

2L here. I haven't read very far back but I see that y'all have been talking about apartments. I want to put in a plug for Finley Forest. It's further down 54 than Glenn Lennox, but it's around the same price and you get more space. I live there right now and take a path through the woods to get to the Park & Ride, and then take a bus that gets me straight to the law school (by straight I mean that I don't have to change buses). It takes about 20 minutes to get there and 10 minutes to get back home because of the shape of the route. But make sure you find a roommate or two, because there are only 2- and 3-bedroom places (and the 3-bedroom ones are newer and nicer).

Take note, though, that Finley Forest isn't an apartment complex. All the townhouses are privately-owned, so you have to look for them as individual units. I recommend chapelhillrent.com.

User avatar
YouDontKnowMe
Posts: 113
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:09 pm

Re: UNC Class of 2016

Postby YouDontKnowMe » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:10 pm

Also, I don't mean to upset anyone, but don't put much stock in the dates admissions says it'll give decisions by. During the cycle when I applied, they kept naming dates, missing them, and then naming another. Our admissions is notorious for that.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: carlos_danger, Dodocogon, Google Adsense [Bot], Long shot hero, mike90018, potatocowpower, Purple Post It Note and 12 guests