UNC Class of 2016

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
CMHCLT

Re: UNC Class of 2016

Postby CMHCLT » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:45 pm

Hey everyone. Does anyone have a firm grasp on expected changes to tuition and fees? UNC's website reads $21,560 in tuition and fees for in-state, a huge increase over tuition prices listed on websites (like TLS). I expect this is because they increased it (by something like $2,000) for next year. As my biggest draw to this school is the cost, this is important information!

Any help would be appreciated!

dmwelch29

Postby dmwelch29 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:38 pm

UNC apparently moved up to #31 in this year's rankings. Crossing my fingers I hear back this week!!

patricksouthern

Postby patricksouthern » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:36 pm

Anyone heard anything in a while? With UNC saying all of its "first round" of admits will be out by April 1, I'm surprised we're not hearing more about people going under review or anything like that as we get into mid-March.

dmwelch29

Postby dmwelch29 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:40 pm

patricksouthern wrote:Anyone heard anything in a while? With UNC saying all of its "first round" of admits will be out by April 1, I'm surprised we're not hearing more about people going under review or anything like that as we get into mid-March.

ive been in review since 3/5...waiting anxiously

ariadne328

Postby ariadne328 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:45 pm

I'm still sitting at complete on 11/5. I have basically given up hope at this point... :(

I knew going in they were slow, but yeah, I was also expecting at least a little more movement at this point in March.

boris78

Postby boris78 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:09 pm

patricksouthern wrote:Anyone heard anything in a while? With UNC saying all of its "first round" of admits will be out by April 1, I'm surprised we're not hearing more about people going under review or anything like that as we get into mid-March.

still complete 1/11

patricksouthern

Postby patricksouthern » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:11 pm

dmwelch29 wrote:

When did you go complete?

dmwelch29

Postby dmwelch29 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:38 pm

patricksouthern wrote:
dmwelch29 wrote:

1/30-ish I believe. Might have been later since I had to prove residency

patricksouthern

Postby patricksouthern » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:32 pm

dmwelch29 wrote:
patricksouthern wrote:
dmwelch29 wrote:

1/30-ish I believe. Might have been later since I had to prove residency

Hm. This is interesting since many of us (myself included) were complete earlier than that and have seen no movement since.

bubc

Postby bubc » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:54 pm

Anyone going to admitted students day on the 5th?

fino

Postby fino » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:05 pm

Or going on the 12th?

And to those who have been waiting awhile for a decision... I applied two years ago and did a two-year deferral. Of the many apps I filled out, UNC was the very last one to report back, and even though I was complete in November, I found out in mid-April. So I'm just saying... there's hope! (Based on my sample size of 1)

arockstar2b

Postby arockstar2b » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:28 pm

michaelm55 wrote:I am above both medians with solid softs, but no scholly? I have 2 full rides from schools ranked way higher than UNC. They will be getting a kind but firm email indicating that if they realy want me they will have to match (at least) my T25 offers. Perhaps they just don't have any money or are being too optimistic about their matriculation rate this cycle. I like the state of North Carolina, but it is not worth sticker in these time (out of state). With the exception of a welcoming phone call from a faculty member, the admissions team has also treated me in a rather distasteful manner. Good luck UNC (yes you admissions officers that secretly read this blog). This cycle you are going to need it.

This post just screams bitterness and a pathetic nature. You should consider yourself lucky to get money from anywhere, no school is entitled to you. Your demeanor here is distasteful, and it's a wonder law schools let you in at all if they have a true taste of your attitude. Hope you don't attend UNC, good luck going elsewhere.

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:44 pm

arockstar2b wrote:
michaelm55 wrote:I am above both medians with solid softs, but no scholly? I have 2 full rides from schools ranked way higher than UNC. They will be getting a kind but firm email indicating that if they realy want me they will have to match (at least) my T25 offers. Perhaps they just don't have any money or are being too optimistic about their matriculation rate this cycle. I like the state of North Carolina, but it is not worth sticker in these time (out of state). With the exception of a welcoming phone call from a faculty member, the admissions team has also treated me in a rather distasteful manner. Good luck UNC (yes you admissions officers that secretly read this blog). This cycle you are going to need it.

This post just screams bitterness and a pathetic nature. You should consider yourself lucky to get money from anywhere, no school is entitled to you. Your demeanor here is distasteful, and it's a wonder law schools let you in at all if they have a true taste of your attitude. Hope you don't attend UNC, good luck going elsewhere.

Annnddd I'm just here in the corner waiting for a decision~

dmwelch29

Postby dmwelch29 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:34 am

arockstar2b wrote:

+100000

zackw618

Postby zackw618 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:14 am

dmwelch29 wrote:
arockstar2b wrote:

+100000

From the email that was sent when I received my scholarship, I'm under the impression that they don't negotiate based off of other schools' offers (since they explicitly said that and underlined it). If your email is anything like this post, I doubt you'll get any money.

boris78

Postby boris78 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:06 pm

fino wrote:Or going on the 12th?

And to those who have been waiting awhile for a decision... I applied two years ago and did a two-year deferral. Of the many apps I filled out, UNC was the very last one to report back, and even though I was complete in November, I found out in mid-April. So I'm just saying... there's hope! (Based on my sample size of 1)

Awesome. Thanks. It's hard to tell from the status tracker whether anything is going on, since status trackers seem to update differently by school.

I spoke with a very cool UNC professor yesterday. He isn't involved in admissions but he suggested that a lot of schools may be waiting until later in the cycle as this year is pretty crazy for schools with the decline in applications and the decline in 160+ LSAT scores.

boris78

Postby boris78 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:09 pm

lhanvt13 wrote:
arockstar2b wrote:

Annnddd I'm just here in the corner waiting for a decision~

Agreed. Look, why doesn't the poster just take the full ride at one of the T25 schools? I'd probably take something like that right now...

TBZ28

Postby TBZ28 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:30 pm

Sorry, I'm a little behind here...but if my application isn't yet UR then do I have 0 chance of a scholarship since people got emails saying if they don't have an offer now they won't be getting anything?

bigdog9

Postby bigdog9 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:35 pm

TBZ28 wrote:Sorry, I'm a little behind here...but if my application isn't yet UR then do I have 0 chance of a scholarship since people got emails saying if they don't have an offer now they won't be getting anything?

The emails didn't say "won't ever receive," just not in the 1st round. BUT, it said IF there is a second round, it won't be until AFTER the seat deposit date. Many people seem to have #s well above medians, been accepted some time ago, and got no 1st round scholly, so depending on your #s, etc, or whatever reason you haven't YET been accepted, I'd say your chances are theoretically better than zero for a scholarship, but not much better. Your chances of getting in, however, may be much more likely since so many people got huge $ from other peer schools and scant to $0 from Carolina. Hope that helps.

TBZ28

Postby TBZ28 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:13 pm

bigdog9 wrote:
TBZ28 wrote:Sorry, I'm a little behind here...but if my application isn't yet UR then do I have 0 chance of a scholarship since people got emails saying if they don't have an offer now they won't be getting anything?

The emails didn't say "won't ever receive," just not in the 1st round. BUT, it said IF there is a second round, it won't be until AFTER the seat deposit date. Many people seem to have #s well above medians, been accepted some time ago, and got no 1st round scholly, so depending on your #s, etc, or whatever reason you haven't YET been accepted, I'd say your chances are theoretically better than zero for a scholarship, but not much better. Your chances of getting in, however, may be much more likely since so many people got huge $ from other peer schools and scant to $0 from Carolina. Hope that helps.

Yeah, that clears things up a bit...I submitted really late, basically on March 1st so hopefully that doesn't hurt my chances too much. Thanks :)

bigdog9

Postby bigdog9 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:01 pm

TBZ28 wrote:
bigdog9 wrote:

Yeah, that clears things up a bit...I submitted really late, basically on March 1st so hopefully that doesn't hurt my chances too much. Thanks :)

They had the scholarship offer date the same for basically eve :? ryone yet admitted, about a week AFTER the initial application deadline. I imagine this was so they could snatch up any late applications that would be offered $ in the "1st round". Who knows about those who applied with 166/3.8s on the extended app deadline of one day after the scholarship offer date. That said, doubt there were too many of those. Best of luck, though, I'm guessing that there will be many more admits coming in the next few weeks as the withdrawals come in and seat deposits don't. And lets hope for both you and me that maybe they're just bluffing and a little $ will come down the pike too.

TBZ28

Postby TBZ28 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:32 pm

bigdog9 wrote:
TBZ28 wrote:
bigdog9 wrote:

They had the scholarship offer date the same for basically eve :? ryone yet admitted, about a week AFTER the initial application deadline. I imagine this was so they could snatch up any late applications that would be offered $ in the "1st round". Who knows about those who applied with 166/3.8s on the extended app deadline of one day after the scholarship offer date. That said, doubt there were too many of those. Best of luck, though, I'm guessing that there will be many more admits coming in the next few weeks as the withdrawals come in and seat deposits don't. And lets hope for both you and me that maybe they're just bluffing and a little $ will come down the pike too.

Oh, that makes sense. I'll cross my fingers that there are a lot of withdrawals and people who don't end up taking their scholarships for both our sake. Best of luck to you as well!

racrfish

Postby racrfish » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:15 pm

Any movement? Anyone?

alawstudentsometime

Postby alawstudentsometime » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:33 pm

racrfish wrote:Any movement? Anyone?

No, but they seem to be favoring Wednesdays this year.

patricksouthern

Postby patricksouthern » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:09 am

alawstudentsometime wrote:
racrfish wrote:Any movement? Anyone?

No, but they seem to be favoring Wednesdays this year.

Can't even imagine how much movement is going to have to happen in April since all completed applications are supposed to have a decision by May 1. Add in the first seat deposit deadline and it seems like the admissions office at UNC is going to be a pretty busy place for the next 5+ weeks.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”