UNC Class of 2016 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
michaelm55

Bronze

UNC Class of 2016

Post by michaelm55 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:47 pm

So who all has applied? Has anyone heard anything yet? Could we get some updated photos and medians please. Thank you, and I wish everybody the best of luck.

dproduct

Gold

Re: UNC Class of 2016

Post by dproduct » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:41 pm

michaelm55 wrote:So who all has applied? Has anyone heard anything yet? Could we get some updated photos and medians please. Thank you, and I wish everybody the best of luck.
From their website:
We do not have a minimum LSAT requirement. However, the median LSAT for our fall 2012 entering class is 162. We do not have a minimum GPA requirement. However, typically one needs to have high grades. The median GPA for our fall 2012 entering class is 3.5.

BlueJeanBaby

Silver

Post by BlueJeanBaby » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:06 am

Applied! I live in NC but I'm not a resident for admissions purposes (although I would get instate tuition) and even though I'm above median I'm expecting a WL/Ding. It is unfortunate because UNC is the only school I could attend and still live with my family. Here's to hoping!

blueruditio

New

Post by blueruditio » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:34 am

Applied, complete 11/2. Out of state. Haven't heard anything else.

ariadne328

Bronze

Post by ariadne328 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:24 pm

Applied and complete on 11/5. I'm out of state so I think UNC might be a small reach for me as my GPA and LSAT are both right at the median. I do have a Master's degree and work experience, so hopefully this helps. I would be so happy to get in.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BlueJeanBaby

Silver

Post by BlueJeanBaby » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:55 pm

ariadne328 wrote:Applied and complete on 11/5. I'm out of state so I think UNC might be a small reach for me as my GPA and LSAT are both right at the median. I do have a Master's degree and work experience, so hopefully this helps. I would be so happy to get in.
According to LSN, out of state is a complete crap-shoot. There are a ton of waitlisted 166 and 167 LSAT scores. I hope they are in the mood to be nice to us this cycle :) Just wishful thinking!

michaelm55

Bronze

Post by michaelm55 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:27 pm

Yeah I spoke to the Director of admissions at the MINK law fair, and I suggested that in-state applicants had a slight advantage. He appeared angry. Technically, there are no in-state quotas, but something is obviously fishy about the admissions statistics.

I suggest that some of the 166 and 167 applicants that were denied or waitlisted, were because of the odds of their actually enrolling at and graduating from UNC. UNC's ranking and geographic location make them attractive enough for such students to apply, but rarely attractive enough - relative to the other schools they were eventually accepted to - to actually go. UNC admissions is quite aware of how this works, and I think they respond differently than other schools to this fact.

BlueJeanBaby

Silver

Post by BlueJeanBaby » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:41 pm

michaelm55 wrote:Yeah I spoke to the Director of admissions at the MINK law fair, and I suggested that in-state applicants had a slight advantage. He appeared angry. Technically, there are no in-state quotas, but something is obviously fishy about the admissions statistics.

I suggest that some of the 166 and 167 applicants that were denied or waitlisted, were because of the odds of their actually enrolling at and graduating from UNC. UNC's ranking and geographic location make them attractive enough for such students to apply, but rarely attractive enough - relative to the other schools they were eventually accepted to - to actually go. UNC admissions is quite aware of how this works, and I think they respond differently than other schools to this fact.
If you look at the graph it has random green and yellow dots. If you click on them, the acceptances are mostly in state and the waitlists are out of state. http://unc.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/1112/

Then they say this: 6. Do I need to be a North Carolina resident to attend Carolina Law?
No. Typically, 70-75 percent of the student body at Carolina Law is North Carolina residents.

So, you are right, no where does it say that they give preference to in state applicants, but I'm thinking its pretty well known that they do. I am above median, no where near YP stats, and an out of state applicant, so I guess I make a pretty good guinea pig! I'm expecting a WL/Ding. BTW, I adore UNC's admissions staff. The fact that they love their in-staters doesn't deter me from wanting to go there.. I just think there is enough data over recent years to say it's a pretty good assumption.

2012Lsatscore

Silver

Post by 2012Lsatscore » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:17 am

Last edited by 2012Lsatscore on Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

michaelm55

Bronze

Post by michaelm55 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:46 pm

You are smart to have a backup plan. UNC is anything but a sure bet. They almost seem like Hawaii, but to a lesser degree. I wish you the very best luck. I also hope you end up having the option of attending UNC, even if you opt not to.

ariadne328

Bronze

Post by ariadne328 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:06 pm

BlueJeanBaby wrote:
ariadne328 wrote:Applied and complete on 11/5. I'm out of state so I think UNC might be a small reach for me as my GPA and LSAT are both right at the median. I do have a Master's degree and work experience, so hopefully this helps. I would be so happy to get in.
According to LSN, out of state is a complete crap-shoot. There are a ton of waitlisted 166 and 167 LSAT scores. I hope they are in the mood to be nice to us this cycle :) Just wishful thinking!
I know. I have my fingers crossed! Otherwise, we will just wait and see.

michaelm55

Bronze

Post by michaelm55 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:35 pm

Just got accepted via email. No scholarship offers made untill early March it says. I hope to recieve some money$$

BlueJeanBaby

Silver

Post by BlueJeanBaby » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:47 pm

michaelm55 wrote:Just got accepted via email. No scholarship offers made untill early March it says. I hope to recieve some money$$
And you are out of state? I am soooo jealous! congrats!!

Did you ever go under review? Has your status checker changed at all? Thanks!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ariadne328

Bronze

Post by ariadne328 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:53 pm

BlueJeanBaby wrote:
michaelm55 wrote:Just got accepted via email. No scholarship offers made untill early March it says. I hope to recieve some money$$
And you are out of state? I am soooo jealous! congrats!!
I send the question and the congratulations!

I wasn't even thinking about this application yet (well, not obsessing) as I thought they weren't sending anything until mid-December. Glad to know to keep a hopeful eye out. Realistically I will probably still be here waiting in March...

michaelm55

Bronze

Post by michaelm55 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:55 pm

Term:
Year: 2013

Program Time: Full Time

Degree: JD

Current Status: Decision Rendered

Current Status Date: 11/30/2012

Decision Status: Congratulations you've been admitted!

Decision Status Date: 11/30/2012

Thanks for your congratulations. I will be keeping a watchful eye on this loop to see if you are also accepted. Best of luck.

BlueJeanBaby

Silver

Post by BlueJeanBaby » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:03 pm

michaelm55 wrote:Term:
Year: 2013

Program Time: Full Time

Degree: JD

Current Status: Decision Rendered

Current Status Date: 11/30/2012

Decision Status: Congratulations you've been admitted!

Decision Status Date: 11/30/2012

Thanks for your congratulations. I will be keeping a watchful eye on this loop to see if you are also accepted. Best of luck.
Sorry for the 903820840923 questions! Did it ever go under review?

michaelm55

Bronze

Post by michaelm55 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:38 pm

Honestly, I don't remember. I didn't check it that often since I wasn't expecting a prompt reply. Sorry.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jrstephens1991

Bronze

Post by jrstephens1991 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:59 pm

^^^When did you submit your app and when did it become complete?

michaelm55

Bronze

Post by michaelm55 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:13 pm

I submitted it three days after the app was avaliable, and have no idea when it was complete. Sorry. Not much help.

nkime

New

Post by nkime » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:30 pm

In via email! (OOS, international)

The status checker was really weird- I checked it yesterday and it was "Decision Rendered" dated on 10/31.
I was panicked because I sent some forms just few days before 10/31 and thought they gave me auto-ding.
Then I woke up this morning and found the acceptance email! :)
The status checker also changed into "Congratulations you've been admitted!" (11/30/2012)

ariadne328

Bronze

Post by ariadne328 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:40 pm

nkime wrote:In via email! (OOS, international)

The status checker was really weird- I checked it yesterday and it was "Decision Rendered" dated on 10/31.
I was panicked because I sent some forms just few days before 10/31 and thought they gave me auto-ding.
The status checker also changed into "Congratulations you've been admitted!" (11/30/2012)
Congrats! Did you have any status changes between "Complete" and "Decision Rendered"?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

nkime

New

Post by nkime » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:44 pm

ariadne328 wrote:
nkime wrote:In via email! (OOS, international)

Congrats! Did you have any status changes between "Complete" and "Decision Rendered"?
No... As I mentioned, I haven't checked the status checker for a while, and found out the decision was out.

BlueJeanBaby

Silver

Post by BlueJeanBaby » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:46 pm

So of the two admitted, both were out of state. I hope they aren't done with us out-of-staters just yet!!

CO2016YEAH

Silver

Post by CO2016YEAH » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:05 am

BlueJeanBaby wrote:
michaelm55 wrote:Yeah I spoke to the Director of admissions at the MINK law fair, and I suggested that in-state applicants had a slight advantage. He appeared angry. Technically, there are no in-state quotas, but something is obviously fishy about the admissions statistics.

If you look at the graph it has random green and yellow dots. If you click on them, the acceptances are mostly in state and the waitlists are out of state. http://unc.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/1112/

Then they say this: 6. Do I need to be a North Carolina resident to attend Carolina Law?
No. Typically, 70-75 percent of the student body at Carolina Law is North Carolina residents.

So, you are right, no where does it say that they give preference to in state applicants, but I'm thinking its pretty well known that they do. I am above median, no where near YP stats, and an out of state applicant, so I guess I make a pretty good guinea pig! I'm expecting a WL/Ding. BTW, I adore UNC's admissions staff. The fact that they love their in-staters doesn't deter me from wanting to go there.. I just think there is enough data over recent years to say it's a pretty good assumption.
I had read somewhere (don't remember where) that there actually IS a law in NC that 75% of admitted students have to be in state (could be hogwash; I didn't look it up). Of course, the numbers will be wonky with 75% of students coming from NC and the remaining 25% coming from the rest of the country. The same article/review/blog/whatever also pointed out the obvious in that the pool is much more competitive for the remaining 25% of the spots. The take was that if you're not in-state the predictors and listed range don't really apply to you.

Anyhow, checking it. NC is a nice state. Good luck to all!

BTW, Bluejean, how did your situation come to be? Do you have parents in NC but live elsewhere?

BlueJeanBaby

Silver

Post by BlueJeanBaby » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:49 am

CO2016YEAH wrote:
BTW, Bluejean, how did your situation come to be? Do you have parents in NC but live elsewhere?
Nope! My husband is in the military and we are stationed here, but we have not yet changed our residency.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”