Indiana-Bloomington Class of 2016 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
abc987

New

Re: Indiana-Bloomington Class of 2016

Post by abc987 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:23 pm

danquayle wrote:How the heck can they identify posters? By stats alone?
I would guess they don't spend much time digging around to identify people, but in my case anyone who had read my application file then subsequently read my "choosing schools" thread would probably recognize me.

Here are some things that I've disclosed earlier in the thread which make me easy to identify:
a. I don't have an undergraduate GPA.
b. I have 9 years work experience.
c. I shared the award adjustment history.
d. I noted my application date and decision dates, which were atypical.

Any of those things alone might be enough for identification, but taken together there is really no uncertainty about which file is mine. I believe in transparency and I am comfortable being open with information about my law school application process. The more information decision-makers have, the better.

Since you asked about methods of identifying posters, you should be aware that there are more potential identifiers than simply stats alone. Dates, locations, undergraduate institutions, and award amounts are some other examples of identifying information that people routinely share here. For example, your TLS member profile currently notes the school you attend and the specific field of study.

K Rock

Bronze

Post by K Rock » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:04 pm

tincan678 wrote:Withdrew with $75k scholarship offer. After my unpleasant conversation with the director of admissions I realized I'd rather ride out some waitlists than pay half-tuition at Maurer.
K Rock wrote: After you matriculate you will never have to deal with anyone from the admissions office again, so I'm not sure why this would affect your decision.

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:01 am

abc987 wrote:
danquayle wrote:How the heck can they identify posters? By stats alone?
I would guess they don't spend much time digging around to identify people, but in my case anyone who had read my application file then subsequently read my "choosing schools" thread would probably recognize me.

Here are some things that I've disclosed earlier in the thread which make me easy to identify:
a. I don't have an undergraduate GPA.
b. I have 9 years work experience.
c. I shared the award adjustment history.
d. I noted my application date and decision dates, which were atypical.

Any of those things alone might be enough for identification, but taken together there is really no uncertainty about which file is mine. I believe in transparency and I am comfortable being open with information about my law school application process. The more information decision-makers have, the better.

Since you asked about methods of identifying posters, you should be aware that there are more potential identifiers than simply stats alone. Dates, locations, undergraduate institutions, and award amounts are some other examples of identifying information that people routinely share here. For example, your TLS member profile currently notes the school you attend and the specific field of study.
Yeah I'm not worried about being "outed" either. I'm just surprised adcomms go through the effort of trying to out people. In your case it sounds like you're a pretty easy mark, but most law school prospects usually don't have something easily identified like 9 years.

IUhopeful

New

Post by IUhopeful » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:06 am

Hey guys!
IU is my number one choice (hence the username) and I'm on the wait list, just riding it out.
I'm definitely anxious to find out my fate at IU, but I'm hopeful that I can attend in the fall.

crossingfingers

Bronze

Post by crossingfingers » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:22 pm

IUhopeful wrote:Hey guys!
IU is my number one choice (hence the username) and I'm on the wait list, just riding it out.
I'm definitely anxious to find out my fate at IU, but I'm hopeful that I can attend in the fall.
I just withdrew today, maybe it will be the spot you needed!

I'm surprised to hear a few people talk about unpleasant interactions. This was actually one of my favorite groups to work with and I thought that Spring Law Day was a blast as well. If it weren't for a surprisingly strong offer off a waitlist, I'd still be headed to Bloomington.

Anyhow, best of luck to those still hoping!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

IUhopeful

New

Post by IUhopeful » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:15 pm

crossingfingers wrote:
I just withdrew today, maybe it will be the spot you needed!

I'm surprised to hear a few people talk about unpleasant interactions. This was actually one of my favorite groups to work with and I thought that Spring Law Day was a blast as well. If it weren't for a surprisingly strong offer off a waitlist, I'd still be headed to Bloomington.

Anyhow, best of luck to those still hoping!

Congrats on what I'm sure is an amazing offer!!
Thank you for your best wishes, I'm sure what ever school you're attending is very lucky to have you!
Keeping my fingers crossed to end up in a similar situation!

lah88

New

Post by lah88 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:46 pm

If you get in, it will probably be with little or no money. NOT WORTH IT!!!

IUhopeful

New

Post by IUhopeful » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:43 pm

lah88 wrote:

Haha thanks for the opinion, but it's definitely still worth it to me.
Hope your law school cycle is going well!

lah88

New

Post by lah88 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:47 pm

IUhopeful wrote:
lah88 wrote:

Haha thanks for the opinion, but it's definitely still worth it to me.
Hope your law school cycle is going well!
I'm not applying to law schools right now. I'm a current student. And if that is the case, I hope you get in and hope that you enjoy law school and don't regret it like I do. I also hope you have rich parents.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ssolowsk

New

Post by ssolowsk » Wed May 01, 2013 9:25 am

Withdrawn, $75k scholarship. Good luck to those on the WL.

c-monster

New

Post by c-monster » Sun May 05, 2013 8:57 am

lah88 wrote:
Some people are always going to hate. If you did proper research before going to law school, you should have been very aware of what you were getting yourself into. I am a current student. I like it, and it is more or less exactly what I expected.

Law school is hard. It's not for everybody. Some people here don't like it. They shouldn't be in law school, and it is their own fault that they came. There is more than enough critical information out there to make a reasonably informed decision.

IUhopeful

New

Post by IUhopeful » Sun May 05, 2013 9:53 am

ssolowsk wrote:Withdrawn, $75k scholarship. Good luck to those on the WL.
Thank you!
C-monster
Thank you for a different perspective. I'm looking forward to challenging myself academically and otherwise. I've had my heart set on law school (and particularly IU haha) too long to be deterred by anything. Enjoy your summer break!

lah88

New

Post by lah88 » Mon May 06, 2013 11:55 am

IUhopeful wrote:
Thank you!
C-monster
Thank you for a different perspective. I'm looking forward to challenging myself academically and otherwise. I've had my heart set on law school (and particularly IU haha) too long to be deterred by anything. Enjoy your summer break!

I'm not trying to crush anyone's dreams here, but just because you've had your heart set on law school for a long time is not a reason to spend $100,000 or more on the degree. There are many other ways to academically challenge yourself. If your dream is to be a lawyer, and you know what you are getting yourself into, by all means, go to law school. But I urge you to talk to recent graduates (especially from IU, where less than half of this year's graduating class are currently employed) or spend some time actually shadowing attorneys before you decide on law as a career.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

c-monster

New

Post by c-monster » Mon May 06, 2013 12:13 pm

lah88 wrote:
IUhopeful wrote:
Thank you!
C-monster

I'm not trying to crush anyone's dreams here, but just because you've had your heart set on law school for a long time is not a reason to spend $100,000 or more on the degree. There are many other ways to academically challenge yourself. If your dream is to be a lawyer, and you know what you are getting yourself into, by all means, go to law school. But I urge you to talk to recent graduates (especially from IU, where less than half of this year's graduating class are currently employed) or spend some time actually shadowing attorneys before you decide on law as a career.
Agree.

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Thu May 16, 2013 11:52 am

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=209662

Non-TLS friend needs some help, input would be appreciated :D

abc987

New

Post by abc987 » Thu May 23, 2013 6:47 pm

I'd been carefully weighing my choices, and I've finalized my decision to attend. See many of you in Bloomington!

I just signed up for summer start. Any other summer starters here?

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Fri May 31, 2013 2:37 pm

is it just me...or did IUB just hire a 3L as their interim admissions director... Sounds like someone got the ax.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TheThriller

Gold

Post by TheThriller » Fri May 31, 2013 2:43 pm

cusenation wrote:is it just me...or did IUB just hire a 3L as their interim admissions director... Sounds like someone got the ax.
Ouch.

kay2016

Silver

Post by kay2016 » Fri May 31, 2013 3:04 pm

cusenation wrote:is it just me...or did IUB just hire a 3L as their interim admissions director... Sounds like someone got the ax.
That's exactly what they did.. I tried to figure it out about two weeks ago.. Very strange

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Fri May 31, 2013 3:11 pm

kayleighcheyenne wrote:
That's exactly what they did.. I tried to figure it out about two weeks ago.. Very strange
Brace yourselves...ATL is coming.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Fri May 31, 2013 3:34 pm

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ColtsFan88

Silver

Post by ColtsFan88 » Fri May 31, 2013 3:46 pm

K Rock wrote:
tincan678 wrote:Withdrew with $75k scholarship offer. After my unpleasant conversation with the director of admissions I realized I'd rather ride out some waitlists than pay half-tuition at Maurer.
K Rock wrote: After you matriculate you will never have to deal with anyone from the admissions office again, so I'm not sure why this would affect your decision.
Just checking in. But does their Admissions Office still have problems this cycle? Last year they just didn't return my call/emails. I was pretty astounded.

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Fri May 31, 2013 3:47 pm

ColtsFan88 wrote: Just checking in. But does their Admissions Office still have problems this cycle? Last year they just didn't return my call/emails. I was pretty astounded.
kayleighcheyenne wrote:

abc987

New

Post by abc987 » Fri May 31, 2013 7:33 pm

It looks like natural turnover to me and not like someone got the ax. Sam Kwak used to be the Director of Admission and according to his LinkedIn profile he moved from IUB to an admissions position at Northwestern within the same month (http://www.linkedin.com/pub/sam-kwak/2/761/101). If Sam had gotten the ax rather than turning over as part of career progression, I'd expect some noticeable gap in the employment timeframes.

William R LaFleur II, the Interim Director, is a recent Maurer graduate. I don't know the world of law school admissions staffing very well, but I know that at least for undergraduate institutions it is very common to take on recent graduates in one-year positions. In terms of Bill as the person to step into that role, I think he was a good choice for Maurer. I've had some interaction with Bill and found him very helpful during my visit and in other follow-up work.

Xs20

Silver

Post by Xs20 » Fri May 31, 2013 10:39 pm

abc987 wrote: William R LaFleur II, the Interim Director, is a recent Maurer graduate.
LOL

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”