Indiana-Bloomington Class of 2016 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
RAWR

Bronze

Re: Indiana-Bloomington Class of 2016

Post by RAWR » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:07 pm

abc987 wrote:
cusenation wrote:is it just me...or did IUB just hire a 3L as their interim admissions director... Sounds like someone got the ax.
It looks like natural turnover to me and not like someone got the ax. Sam Kwak used to be the Director of Admission and according to his LinkedIn profile he moved from IUB to an admissions position at Northwestern within the same month (http://www.linkedin.com/pub/sam-kwak/2/761/101). If Sam had gotten the ax rather than turning over as part of career progression, I'd expect some noticeable gap in the employment timeframes.

William R LaFleur II, the Interim Director, is a recent Maurer graduate. I don't know the world of law school admissions staffing very well, but I know that at least for undergraduate institutions it is very common to take on recent graduates in one-year positions. In terms of Bill as the person to step into that role, I think he was a good choice for Maurer. I've had some interaction with Bill and found him very helpful during my visit and in other follow-up work.
Sam Kwak is DICK, and the school is better off without him.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:11 pm

Xs20

Silver

Post by Xs20 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:35 pm

RAWR wrote:
Sam Kwak is DICK, and the school is better off without him.
Hahaha. I didn't wanna be the one to say it, but since you did, +1. He was straight up rude right off the bat in my scholarship interview with him, and I still don't understand why they made me interview for my scholarship when I was above both medians. Then he didn't get back to me when he said he would about how much $ they're offering, and when he did (3 weeks late) I sent him my better offers from better schools, and he basically told me to go to one of those schools. Worst admissions office I dealt with out of the 20 schools I applied to.

kay2016

Silver

Post by kay2016 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:37 pm

+1 to above comments as well

account1

New

Post by account1 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:04 pm

Any ASW attendees recieve reimbursement $$ yet?? Was it for the correct amount you requested?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kay2016

Silver

Post by kay2016 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:28 pm

I got mine for an individual visit, they just calculated my gas. But it seemed fair.

Xs20

Silver

Post by Xs20 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:24 pm

kay2016

Silver

Post by kay2016 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:32 pm

...I'm sorry but an "intern" doesn't offer more money to students...

Glad I got the sense IU was strange before I made my decision..

I have several emails and voicemails from him as well..

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:35 pm

Mr. LaFleur is a recent graduate who served as an admissions fellow while he was in school here. He kindly offered to assist with recruiting over the summer. The title he had been using resulted from an internal misunderstanding and has been corrected.
I’ve had “misunderstandings” before, and none of them ended with an intern running the department. Maybe LaFleur really was guilty of an innocent mistake, specifically that “interim” does not mean “intern to.”
LOL

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RAWR

Bronze

Post by RAWR » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:30 pm

if you’re planning on getting LaFleur a graduation gift, a Thesaurus might be a good option
LOLZomg how embarrassing for him! Cheers to Billy - I hope you find a new job soon!

sordidsox

New

Post by sordidsox » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:59 am

Does anyone know if there's any motorcycle parking around the law school? Thanks.

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:00 pm

sordidsox wrote:Does anyone know if there's any motorcycle parking around the law school? Thanks.
There are some spots in the lot directly across the street from the law school.

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:50 pm

If anybody is still looking for a roommate this academic year, PM me.

I'm a rising 2L. My roommate from last year is moving out because he's getting married.

I live about 2 miles from the law school, but the apartment complex has shuttles that regularly go back and forth. 2 bedroom, 2 full bath, Washer/dryer in unit, and an amenities center about a mile down the road that has a pool and weight/cardio equipment. Rent is about $500/month. Electricity runs about $50/month/person, fluctuating depending on season and heat/AC use.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

habeusporpoise

New

Post by habeusporpoise » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:54 am

Has anybody on here been accepted off of the waitlist for IU? If so, what were your numbers like?

I had a 168 LSAT, offset by a 3.0 GPA- though undergrad was 8 years ago, and I earned an MA in the meantime.

I've been accepted to several comparable midwestern universities, but my fiance lives in Bloomington, so naturally I'm eager for IUB. I'm just trying to realistically gauge my chances.

c-monster

New

Post by c-monster » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:36 pm

habeusporpoise wrote:Has anybody on here been accepted off of the waitlist for IU? If so, what were your numbers like?

I had a 168 LSAT, offset by a 3.0 GPA- though undergrad was 8 years ago, and I earned an MA in the meantime.

I've been accepted to several comparable midwestern universities, but my fiance lives in Bloomington, so naturally I'm eager for IUB. I'm just trying to realistically gauge my chances.

Based on others I've talked to over the past few years, they take some people off the wait list towards the end of summer. You might have a shot. I would make sure they know you are very interested.

TommyK

Silver

Post by TommyK » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:29 am

habeusporpoise wrote:Has anybody on here been accepted off of the waitlist for IU? If so, what were your numbers like?

Based on your numbers, you should have a very realistic shot. Have you sent in a letter indicating your continued interest and your ties/preference to Btown?

When did you apply? Your numbers have been auto-admit in the last couple of cycles.

GloryofoldIU

New

Post by GloryofoldIU » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:55 pm

I just got off the wait list last week. My LSAT was slightly lower than yours, but my GPA was .2 higher. Indiana is my top choice and I've made that clear to them by writing numerous letters of continued interest, scheduling interviews and visits and attending a class. I retook the LSAT per the advice of their admissions counselor and was admitted the next day after submitting my new score. Needless to say, I'm thrilled and so excited. I hope you'll have a similar outcome!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”