Indiana-Bloomington Class of 2016 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
RAWR

Bronze

Re: Indiana-Bloomington Class of 2016

Post by RAWR » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:55 pm

yupyup wrote:
RAWR wrote:Withdrawn with $$. My visit was weird.
Care to elaborate?
There were a few things, but most importantly, I felt entirely dismissed by the director of admissions. A meeting with him was set up automatically - I did not request it, although I would have if one had not been set up. He spent a grant total of about 4 minutes with me, and was critical of the other schools I applied to. Upon broaching the topic of making scholarships comparable, he said that a $6,000 difference per year "isn't much, in the grand scheme of things."

The students were all on facebook during class, and three or four times in the class and afterward, cut each other down in front of other students or the professor. I know this isn't unheard of, but it's not the kind of "community" I think I would thrive in.

What it really came down to is money and graduate placement. I think it is probably a great fit for some people, but I came away knowing for a fact that I belonged elsewhere. Committed by 1pm today.

EDIT: After asking me what other schools I'm considering, I included in my answer that I'm waiting to hear back from two schools that I applied to on 3/25 or so. He told me I should "take the hint" and it's basically a rejection.

So... there's that.

wannabelawstudent

Gold

Post by wannabelawstudent » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:21 pm

This admitted students facebook group just can't do anything right.

Xs20

Silver

Post by Xs20 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:29 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote:This admitted students facebook group just can't do anything right.
LOL. The current students' disrespect for the prospectives and complete disregard for the administration's rules in the group really reflect well on the school. What a joke.

kay2016

Silver

Post by kay2016 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:10 pm

Xs20 wrote:
wannabelawstudent wrote:This admitted students facebook group just can't do anything right.
LOL. The current students' disrespect for the prospectives and complete disregard for the administration's rules in the group really reflect well on the school. What a joke.

account1

New

Post by account1 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:13 pm

Anybdy get their ASW refunds yet?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kay2016

Silver

Post by kay2016 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:28 pm

I went on the 5th of March and still haven't gotten mine

K Rock

Bronze

Post by K Rock » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:39 pm

RAWR wrote: There were a few things, but most importantly, I felt entirely dismissed by the director of admissions. A meeting with him was set up automatically - I did not request it, although I would have if one had not been set up. He spent a grant total of about 4 minutes with me, and was critical of the other schools I applied to. Upon broaching the topic of making scholarships comparable, he said that a $6,000 difference per year "isn't much, in the grand scheme of things."

EDIT: After asking me what other schools I'm considering, I included in my answer that I'm waiting to hear back from two schools that I applied to on 3/25 or so. He told me I should "take the hint" and it's basically a rejection.

So... there's that.
After you matriculate you will never have to deal with anyone from the admissions office again, so I'm not sure why this would affect your decision.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:45 pm

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:53 am

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RAWR

Bronze

Post by RAWR » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:30 am

sublime12089 wrote:Withdrawn. 90k back into the pool. Best of luck everybody!
Lol that was fast! You must have made a decision. Where are you headed?

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:47 am

icecreamdance

New

Post by icecreamdance » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:54 am

I withdrew a few days ago. Hope my money and scholarship goes to a TLSer who really wants to go to IU!

rufus&miles

Bronze

Post by rufus&miles » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:21 pm

Withdrew with $$, the response from admissions was asking to see if finances was the reason. It seems they are willing to increase offers if you are interested.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Xs20

Silver

Post by Xs20 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:22 pm

Withdrew with 90k.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:00 pm

abc987

New

Post by abc987 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:07 pm

I hadn't considered negotiating on scholarship amounts until reading TLS. I am so glad I did. I got a positive response to a negotiation letter from Indiana this morning, adding $10k/year on top of the initial (generous) award amount.

I feel fortunate to have received this offer. I am not decided yet because I do not plan on practice in Indiana and I am seriously tempted by a school in my intended market (DC). Indiana is making this a much tougher choice than I thought I was going to have available to me.

abc987

New

Post by abc987 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:29 pm

I could really use some advice on my decision about Indiana vs other options.

Thread in the decisions section: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... &p=6687897

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:24 am

abc987

New

Post by abc987 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:39 pm

abc987 wrote:I could really use some advice on my decision about Indiana vs other options.

Thread in the decisions section: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... &p=6687897

I had some interaction with an IU Bloomington alum that referenced my deciding between IU Bloomington and GW (although it is more my deciding between three choices - Bloomington, GW, or do another cycle). This stuck out because I had not mentioned GW in my communications with Bloomington.

I called up the admissions office to confirm whether they got the info here, and the person I spoke with acknowledged that some members of the admissions office staff do monitor the forums. That is fine by me as I know the forums are publicly accessible and that I purposefully posted information I knew made me easily identifiable. But I want to give a heads-up that Bloomington admissions team members are reading these messages so that everyone here can make informed decisions about what to share.

And since it is confirmed the admissions staff is reading, now comes the onslaught of WLers posting about how much they want to attend Bloomington. Haha. :-)
Last edited by abc987 on Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:05 pm

abc987 wrote:
abc987 wrote:I could really use some advice on my decision about Indiana vs other options.

I had some interaction with an UI alum that referenced my deciding between UI and GW (although it is more my deciding between three choices - UI, GW, or do another cycle). This stuck out because I had not mentioned GW in my communications with UI.

I called up the admissions office to confirm whether they got the info here, and the person I spoke with acknowledged that some members of the admissions office staff do monitor the forums. That is fine by me as I know the forums are publicly accessible and that I purposefully posted information I knew made me easily identifiable. But I want to give a heads-up that UI admissions team members are reading these messages so that everyone here can make informed decisions about what to share.

And since it is confirmed the admissions staff is reading, now comes the onslaught of WLers posting about how much they want to attend UI. Haha. :-)
I'm sorry do you mean IU? I'm really confused by this post.

abc987

New

Post by abc987 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:15 pm

danquayle wrote:
abc987 wrote:

I had some interaction with an UI alum that referenced my deciding between UI and GW (although it is more my deciding between three choices - UI, GW, or do another cycle). This stuck out because I had not mentioned GW in my communications with UI.

I called up the admissions office to confirm whether they got the info here, and the person I spoke with acknowledged that some members of the admissions office staff do monitor the forums. That is fine by me as I know the forums are publicly accessible and that I purposefully posted information I knew made me easily identifiable. But I want to give a heads-up that UI admissions team members are reading these messages so that everyone here can make informed decisions about what to share.

And since it is confirmed the admissions staff is reading, now comes the onslaught of WLers posting about how much they want to attend UI. Haha. :-)
Yes, I meant IU, Indiana University Bloomington. Not sure why I transposed the letters in my several mentions of the school. I'll edit the post to avoid further confusion.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

RAWR

Bronze

Post by RAWR » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:23 am

Seeing as the the adcomms read these, I feel obligated to say that the lady who works in the admissions office named Mara is WONDERFUL. Anything I had to say about anyone else absolutely did not apply to her. Don't mean to spam or bump for no reason, I just can't stomach the thought of hurting her pretty little feelings! She was so great and helpful.

espressocream

Bronze

Post by espressocream » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:12 pm

Took myself off the wait list. Good luck to the rest of you!

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:39 pm

abc987 wrote:
danquayle wrote:
abc987 wrote:

Yes, I meant IU, Indiana University Bloomington. Not sure why I transposed the letters in my several mentions of the school. I'll edit the post to avoid further confusion.
How the heck can they identify posters? By stats alone?

Scaliafan3421

Bronze

Post by Scaliafan3421 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:59 pm

deleted
Last edited by Scaliafan3421 on Thu May 04, 2017 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”