Marquette c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
0808millerd

Marquette c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby 0808millerd » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:11 pm

Didn't see a topic started. Got my acceptance via email today with a note saying I should have already received something via snail mail (out of town so I can't confirm I did).

Anyone else interested or any current students have input/advice?

Mister Gold

Re: Marquette c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Mister Gold » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:34 pm

In on 11/30 via e-mail.

I visited the campus last month, the new law center is very nice. It's a one-stop shop that has places to eat, study, and a gym. I wandered down to Lakefront Brewery after my tour and had all-you-can-drink craft beer for $7. That alone was worth the trip, although the school was nice too.

striker14

Postby striker14 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:26 pm

In via email and letter. Visited the campus, it was great.
GPA 3.0
LSAT 160

0808millerd

Postby 0808millerd » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:08 am

I went to MU undergrad and the new law school building wasn't completed during my time there but I go back frequently and it is an amazing building and truly is a "one stop shop". Living in Milwaukee can have its positives and negatives and if you are not careful about where you live there can be some major negatives. There are a lot of post-college employed and younger grad students living in both the East side (mainly East village) and Third Ward and both locations have some really nice apartments at affordable prices.

Hoping to here about scholarship handouts sometime in the new year but right now, MU might be a front runner for me pending some other decisions from schools.

doglover0702

Postby doglover0702 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:06 pm

Accepted on 10/26

Stats: 159/3.36

Pip42

Postby Pip42 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:18 pm

Accepted 12/13 via email.

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:40 pm

As someone from WI, only go to MU if you want to work in WI or in the Midwest. Understand that it would have a lot of pull in other states. WI's market is already insulated so make sure that you want to go to MU for WI or for near WI purposes else the financial value may not be there.

0808millerd

Postby 0808millerd » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:25 pm

Do you know anything about the job market in Milwaukee for MU grads? I know there are some bigger firms in the city but does MU have a good footing in that market?

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:39 pm

0808millerd wrote:Do you know anything about the job market in Milwaukee for MU grads? I know there are some bigger firms in the city but does MU have a good footing in that market?

I don't specifically know what the current trend in the legal market is, but I know that MU and UW are both strong state schools. I actually heard that MU is very competitive for Milwaukee, and thus is stronger than UW in terms of recruitment for the Milwaukee region. I think that people that go to UW from out of state are surprised at just how solid of a reputation that MU has within the state. However, if choosing between MU and UW, I would still choose UW if given that opportunity.

I did work for one of the firms in Milwaukee years ago and was told a few years back to wait on going to law school unless I really wanted it. I postponed going to law school and instead earned a masters degree while being able to intern. One of the best moves in order to create a more competitive resume.

But MU is solid if you want to stay local. But if you're coming from outside of the state, I would question the move. That's my overall point I mean. Unless you're in the Midwest, there's no point to go there.

buckythebadger

Postby buckythebadger » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:30 am

BearsGrl wrote:
0808millerd wrote:Do you know anything about the job market in Milwaukee for MU grads? I know there are some bigger firms in the city but does MU have a good footing in that market?

I don't specifically know what the current trend in the legal market is, but I know that MU and UW are both strong state schools. I actually heard that MU is very competitive for Milwaukee, and thus is stronger than UW in terms of recruitment for the Milwaukee region. I think that people that go to UW from out of state are surprised at just how solid of a reputation that MU has within the state. However, if choosing between MU and UW, I would still choose UW if given that opportunity.

I did work for one of the firms in Milwaukee years ago and was told a few years back to wait on going to law school unless I really wanted it. I postponed going to law school and instead earned a masters degree while being able to intern. One of the best moves in order to create a more competitive resume.

But MU is solid if you want to stay local. But if you're coming from outside of the state, I would question the move. That's my overall point I mean. Unless you're in the Midwest, there's no point to go there.

This is mostly true.

MU is very strong within Milwaukee. I've heard people refer to it as the "Marquette Mafia." From what I've been told, they are very loyal to Marquette alums. If you take a look at the NALP directory, almost all of the Senior Partners at the largest firms are MU alums.

0808millerd

Postby 0808millerd » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:36 pm

Does anyone know when Marquette starts to send out scholarship award notices? I've heard February but the admission packet doesn't clearly state that.

striker14

Postby striker14 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:58 pm

Checked their website, it's definitely february.

ashleydy10

Postby ashleydy10 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:34 am

In at Marquette.

Also in at MSU, LSU, Catholic U. Waiting on many others.

I am from FL. I am in need of some serious advice. I applied to Marq bc I am familiar with the area. Also, they offer the MA in Poli Sci with the JD. This is huge in my decision. I really want to get my MA. So far, the faculty at Marq have been outstanding. I have received a phone call, email, mail, etc. all with personal reference to my app and WE. It is nice to see the personal touch. Also, I have contacted the dept head for the MA in Poli Sci and received such a welcoming email that bumped Marq up for me. They seem to care about the students and education in this school and it is refreshing.

My experience w Catholic has been the opposite. Disorganized and short responses to inquiries re: their MA/JD program. Also, the competition in that area is likely to be ridiculous. I have worked for a firm in Miami for 4 years as a litigation paralegal. The attorney work for does some work in DC and is looking into opening an office there in the near future. Cant count on that for a job though and I have no interest in competing with Georgetown grads for jobs.

LSU- huge scholarship awarded. Big SEC school.

Marq diploma privilege is great!

Winter scares me to death. I havent been in weather colder than 40.

Help! Any inside info on milwaukee and/or marq JD/MA program?

AND PLEASE DONT RESPOND WITH A "Dont go to law school the jobs suck and youll have loans" nonsense. THANKS but everyone here knows what theyre getting into. I've spent the last 4 years of my life learning litigation while surrounded by lawyers. If that hasnt convinced me to turn around, you wont either. Save it.

With that being siad- any helpful comments are greatly appreciated! :)

doglover0702

Postby doglover0702 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:29 am

ashleydy10 wrote:In at Marquette.

I am from FL. I am in need of some serious advice. I applied to Marq bc I am familiar with the area. Also, they offer the MA in Poli Sci with the JD. This is huge in my decision. I really want to get my MA. So far, the faculty at Marq have been outstanding. I have received a phone call, email, mail, etc. all with personal reference to my app and WE. It is nice to see the personal touch. Also, I have contacted the dept head for the MA in Poli Sci and received such a welcoming email that bumped Marq up for me. They seem to care about the students and education in this school and it is refreshing.

My experience w Catholic has been the opposite. Disorganized and short responses to inquiries re: their MA/JD program. Also, the competition in that area is likely to be ridiculous. I have worked for a firm in Miami for 4 years as a litigation paralegal. The attorney work for does some work in DC and is looking into opening an office there in the near future. Cant count on that for a job though and I have no interest in competing with Georgetown grads for jobs.

AND PLEASE DONT RESPOND WITH A "Dont go to law school the jobs suck and youll have loans" nonsense. THANKS but everyone here knows what theyre getting into. I've spent the last 4 years of my life learning litigation while surrounded by lawyers. If that hasnt convinced me to turn around, you wont either. Save it.

If you have great scholly offers from other schools, I would definitely wait to make any decisions until you hear back from Marquette about scholarships. From what I understand, they aren't very generous.

But Milwaukee is like the 20th largest city in the U.S., and Wisconsin is a pretty thriving state. Horrendous winters aside, I don't think it's a bad option. It's a less saturated market than the other schools you mentioned.

0808millerd

Postby 0808millerd » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:35 am

ashleydy10 wrote:In at Marquette.

I can't help at all with info about the JD/MA program, but I went to MU undergrad and live in Chicago now so I make frequent trips back to Milwaukee.

The weather isn't "that terrible" but coming from Florida, I think it will definitely be a major adjustment. The early fall is great with cooler temps, some rain and some wind, but mostly decent weather. Usually around Thanksgiving (sometimes earlier) things take a downward spiral and get colder. Every other year there seems to be at least one major snowstorm that shuts the city down (last year was a warm weather, so this year might see some snow). Around the middle of March, end of April, things start to warm up and the weather from April through October is great. There is the occasional cold days or heavy rains, but for the most part, spring/summer in Milwaukee is really nice.

In terms of things to do, Milwaukee has a lot to offer. I'm sure the MU website can provide you with some great info but from personal experience, the bar scene is fantastic with some great bars on Water Street and Brady Street along with the Third Ward. The bars on MU's campus tend to go towards the undergrads and some bars on Water Street do too, but you can find bars with an older crowd mixed in as well. Summerfest is a fantastic summer concert series that pulls in some big name bands and goes on from the end of June to around July 4th and is right on the lake. Brewers games are fun and so are MU basketball games. There is basically something for everyone in the city but it is matter of finding it and going when the weather is nice.

I don't know too much about the apartment scene since I lived on campus during undergrad, but some friends of mine live on the East Side and East Village and you can find some really nice 1-2 BR apartments for the $1000-1700 range and if you have a car most places have parking included but street parking is really easy. MU has some parking garages on campus you can use for a good discount. The bus system is also helpful as a few lines run right through the campus.

Marquette and Loyola-Chicago are my top choices now as I wait for scholarship info. Returning to Milwaukee would be really nice as I loved being there for 4 years of undergrad and still love going up there to visit. Hope this helps.

ashleydy10

Postby ashleydy10 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:59 am

Thanks for the info. I have been to Milwaukee 4 times in the past few years. My best friend lived there for most of her life. She is in San Fran now. I love downtown milwaukee. It is like the downtown Miami im used to but cleaner.. lol .. a lot cleaner...

I have heard the MU alumni network is awesome. They really love MU. Being that the diploma privilege is only to MU and UW-Mad, seems to me it is a great school to be in for a WI and/or Chicago future.

Cant stress how nice the faculty has been. Without that I doubt MU wouldve been a serious considiration.

Scholarship is a must though. Without it, i just dont know what id do.

Catholic U- such a saturated market as you said.. Michigan state- well it is michigan- there isnt much hope there. Still love Michigan State as a school though and the faculty have also been amazing.

Thanks for the helpful input!

annet

Postby annet » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:51 am

I had applied to Marquette on 11/26. Hadn't gotten anything other than the LSAC confirmation. I didn't want to be annoying but I'd gotten confirmation/status checker info from the other six schools.

Thank you for your note. We appreciate your interest in Marquette Law School.

Your application was successfully transmitted and was being held for your December LSAT score. Our staff is currently processing the applications of candidates with December scores. December LSAT scores began to be transmitted to our school late last week. As one might imagine, a significant number of our candidates with already-submitted applications were December test-takers. When the processing of your application is completed, you will receive an email message from our office, at the primary email address you indicated on your application, informing you that your file has been placed before the Admissions Committee for review. If, however, material required to complete your application is missing, you will receive a notice from our office informing you of that circumstance. We greatly appreciate your patience as our staff continues to process applications.

Thank you very much once again for your interest in Marquette University Law School.

Note that I never asked that my file be held or let them know I was taking the December test. Just an FYI because this seems quite different than other schools I've applied to.

[Edit - in via email yesterday evening.

Congratulations on your admission to the fall 2013 entering class at Marquette University Law School. If you have not already, you will soon receive your letter of admission from Dean Joseph D. Kearney. A packet of information for admitted students is currently being prepared and should be on its way to you within the next few days. The packet will offer details regarding:

· Enrollment deposits and procedures

· Financial aid—file the FAFSA as soon as possible to qualify for student loans

· Scholarships—the scholarship consideration process will begin in February

· Timeline for admitted students

· Visiting options

· And more

...]

zniha

Postby zniha » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:40 pm

Accepted today 1/25

160/3.55

Cuj6

Postby Cuj6 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:11 pm

Admitted 1/25

fbmelms

Postby fbmelms » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:15 pm

Does anyone know the sort of numbers it takes to get money at Marquette.

aspenex

Postby aspenex » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:54 pm

I am a MU Law Student - ask questions if you got 'em

0808millerd

Postby 0808millerd » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:44 am

aspenex wrote:I am a MU Law Student - ask questions if you got 'em

Thanks for taking the time to answer some questions.

I guess the biggest question is what is the current job situation like for students coming out of MU? As someone on the ground, I would think you have firsthand knowledge of what kind of summer positions students are getting and what post-grad employment looks like. I am deciding between schools in Chicago and Marquette and really what it comes down to is an over-saturated big market with lots of competition vs. a smaller market with less competition but I have heard competing views on MKE's job market and for MU grads in particular.

Thanks again.

cultband

Postby cultband » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:56 pm

Got my scholarship info today: 10,000 a year. (3.17 162)
pretty let down by this as i've gotten significantly more money from better schools.

willio

Postby willio » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:35 am

Offered $35,000 per year. Withdrawing soon.

ashleydy10

Postby ashleydy10 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:19 pm

Offered 24k a year with no stip.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”