Georgia State (2012-2013) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
scruffy556

Bronze

Re: Georgia State (2012-2013)

Post by scruffy556 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:18 pm

shaynislegend wrote:Stopped by GSU on saturday to visit, from what I hear it sounds like they are building a new law school. Anyone heard anything about this? Also, received my packet in the mail on Saturday.
The new building is going to be built just north of Woodruff park, should be open for our 3l year. Got my packet today, wish they would have given us a little more notice about the brief encounter date. The 21st is supposed to be my last day at my job, if I can get that off I'll be there.

lawyerdown27

New

Post by lawyerdown27 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:36 pm

Stopped by GSU on saturday to visit, from what I hear it sounds like they are building a new law school. Anyone heard anything about this? Also, received my packet in the mail on Saturday.
From what I know, scheduled to break ground this fall and open for fall 2015 semester. By all accounts, the new building is going to be amazing: more/better classrooms (especially the large/1L classrooms, higher tech smaller rooms, etc.), big conference hosting space, more clinic space (I think we'll have at least 3 in-house clinics starting next year), 2-floor library with baller outdoor terraces, more student study rooms, etc. Basically, it will have a much more "law school" feel, more student gathering areas, less disjointed that UL building is now. Going to be right next to the new business school, so they're going for these two communities coming together.

Only real issue will be parking, but it seems like there won't be much of, if any, of a net loss in spots. There just won't be any new dedicated parking I don't think. The school is working with nearby garages for more student spots, but it's downtown Atlanta: it's not perfect, but it'll be fine.

kjb

New

Post by kjb » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:32 pm

Looks like GSU has extended their application deadline and is accepting June LSAT scores.

I feel like the potential new influx of applications/scores may push me into the negative considering my status is "second review pending".

shaynislegend

Bronze

Post by shaynislegend » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:01 pm

kjb wrote:Looks like GSU has extended their application deadline and is accepting June LSAT scores.

I feel like the potential new influx of applications/scores may push me into the negative considering my status is "second review pending".
Interesting, if I would have known what I know now I would have retaken in February. I thought February was going to be too late, guess not.

scruffy556

Bronze

Post by scruffy556 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:54 pm

So who all is going to the brief encounter next week?

I'm looking forward to starting to meet my future colleagues.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Marath0n

New

Post by Marath0n » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:18 am

Can't go to the Brief Encounter. Work sucks :( . Definitely let me know how it goes.

shaynislegend

Bronze

Post by shaynislegend » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:15 am

I work in the area so I want to go but my parents are coming in town to visit for the weekend. Let me know how it goes.

ookoshi

Bronze

Post by ookoshi » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:55 pm

Went from "Pending 2nd Review" to "In Review" yesterday. Fingers crossed. GSU is my first choice (part time)!

scruffy556

Bronze

Post by scruffy556 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:28 pm

Got a generic email saying $$ notifications are incoming.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Marath0n

New

Post by Marath0n » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:35 pm

scruffy556 wrote:Got a generic email saying $$ notifications are incoming.
Yep, same here. What a tease.

hammertime10

New

Post by hammertime10 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:29 pm

Has anyone sent in their Seat Deposit? I've claimed my seat for Fall in the last week but I'm not sure how/when I'll be notified upon receipt.

Thanks!

EDIT: NVM, found it on the Check Your Application Status page. (Duh!)

scruffy556

Bronze

Post by scruffy556 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:43 pm

hammertime10 wrote:Has anyone sent in their Seat Deposit? I've claimed my seat for Fall in the last week but I'm not sure how/when I'll be notified upon receipt.

Thanks!

See you in the fall, you going to the brief encounter?

CMJdoeslawschool

New

Post by CMJdoeslawschool » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:10 pm

Has anyone taken a tour recently? I'm trying to but my work sched is crazy right now. Can't go to brief encounter, either. I also noticed that they "processed" my financial aid to show that I was eligible for loans, and got the "scholarships are forthcoming" email afterward, which I thought was a rather interesting.

They also accepted me very, very quickly (and rather late in the cycle), so I'm not sure if that's indicative of if I'll get $$$ or if they're still trying to fill seats

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JARZJR

New

Post by JARZJR » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:45 pm

Did my UG at State...

3.46, 157... URM...

Wrote the Feb test, so my application didn't go under prelim review until 3/8/2013... And thats still the status... Can anyone give me an estimate of the timeline of their review and acceptance/rejection process?

Got an email saying they will be accepting june tests, lol... Thats unheard of... Does that mean they are having trouble filling the class due to low application numbers?

kjb

New

Post by kjb » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:59 pm

CMJdoeslawschool wrote:Has anyone taken a tour recently? I'm trying to but my work sched is crazy right now. Can't go to brief encounter, either. I also noticed that they "processed" my financial aid to show that I was eligible for loans, and got the "scholarships are forthcoming" email afterward, which I thought was a rather interesting.

They also accepted me very, very quickly (and rather late in the cycle), so I'm not sure if that's indicative of if I'll get $$$ or if they're still trying to fill seats
care to disclose your numbers?
JARZJR wrote:Did my UG at State...

3.46, 157... URM...

Wrote the Feb test, so my application didn't go under prelim review until 3/8/2013... And thats still the status... Can anyone give me an estimate of the timeline of their review and acceptance/rejection process?

Got an email saying they will be accepting june tests, lol... Thats unheard of... Does that mean they are having trouble filling the class due to low application numbers?
I would say 2-3 weeks. What I believe it means is that they're having trouble filling the class with numbers they ideally want.

For me it took 3 weeks after going into review. Then I went into second review pending, and am now under review again.

JARZJR

New

Post by JARZJR » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:14 pm

kjb wrote:
CMJdoeslawschool wrote:Has anyone taken a tour recently? I'm trying to but my work sched is crazy right now. Can't go to brief encounter, either. I also noticed that they "processed" my financial aid to show that I was eligible for loans, and got the "scholarships are forthcoming" email afterward, which I thought was a rather interesting.

care to disclose your numbers?

3.46, 157... URM...

I would say 2-3 weeks. What I believe it means is that they're having trouble filling the class with numbers they ideally want.

For me it took 3 weeks after going into review. Then I went into second review pending, and am now under review again.
Ok, so you underwent/are undergoing two reviews? What did your status say at each step? You mind if I ask your numbers?

Thanks for your response...
Last edited by JARZJR on Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marath0n

New

Post by Marath0n » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:20 pm

Just got Dean's Scholarship today. 5k first year and full tuition for the second and third year. Haven't actually read the letter because I am out of town. Pretty excited because I was going to GSU regardless of $$$.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

scruffy556

Bronze

Post by scruffy556 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:05 pm

Marath0n wrote:Just got Dean's Scholarship today. 5k first year and full tuition for the second and third year. Haven't actually read the letter because I am out of town. Pretty excited because I was going to GSU regardless of $$$.
Congrats! How did they contact you?

Marath0n

New

Post by Marath0n » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:23 pm

scruffy556 wrote:
Marath0n wrote:Just got Dean's Scholarship today. 5k first year and full tuition for the second and third year. Haven't actually read the letter because I am out of town. Pretty excited because I was going to GSU regardless of $$$.
Congrats! How did they contact you?
Snail mail. I just wasn't around to get the letter myself so parents called to tell me what it said.

JARZJR

New

Post by JARZJR » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:40 pm

Congrats...

hammertime10

New

Post by hammertime10 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:33 am

scruffy556 wrote:
hammertime10 wrote:Has anyone sent in their Seat Deposit? I've claimed my seat for Fall in the last week but I'm not sure how/when I'll be notified upon receipt.

Thanks!

See you in the fall, you going to the brief encounter?
Thanks looking forward to it. I'm going to the brief encounter tomorrow, names Quinn. :D

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

shaynislegend

Bronze

Post by shaynislegend » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:39 am

3.46, 157... URM...

If I remember correctly I went complete 1/6/13 and accepted 1/10/13 and I don't remember there being a step between complete-in review-acceptance.

As for June test acceptance, I noticed a lot of lower ranked schools doing this but haven't seen it with the upper tier, kinda concerning (?)

Still deciding between GSU and a few other schools, I went down there a few weeks ago just to walk around, and the law building is in shambles but from what I understand the new building will be very nice.

JARZJR

New

Post by JARZJR » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:19 pm

shaynislegend wrote:

3.46, 157... URM...

If I remember correctly I went complete 1/6/13 and accepted 1/10/13 and I don't remember there being a step between complete-in review-acceptance.

As for June test acceptance, I noticed a lot of lower ranked schools doing this but haven't seen it with the upper tier, kinda concerning (?)

Still deciding between GSU and a few other schools, I went down there a few weeks ago just to walk around, and the law building is in shambles but from what I understand the new building will be very nice.
If it only took them 4 days to decide on you you must have pretty decent #s...

sophie15

New

Post by sophie15 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:19 pm

Just got the Dean's scholarship as well. I was definitely not expecting that.
See you all the Brief Encounter tomorrow!

JARZJR

New

Post by JARZJR » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:23 pm

sophie15 wrote:Just got the Dean's scholarship as well. I was definitely not expecting that.
See you all the Brief Encounter tomorrow!

Congrats!...

You mind if I ask your #s and how long the app review process was for you?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”