American University Class of 2016

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
meylanl

Re: American University Class of 2016

Postby meylanl » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:21 am

cusenation wrote:
meylanl wrote:As of right now I'm going to be starting at Catholic in the fall with just under 50% scholly, but I'm also waitlisted at AU. I know AU is better ranked (AU #56 and Catholic #80), but considering the scholarship, would I just be better off going to Catholic? (assuming I actually got off the AU waitlist) I've been trying to talk it out and just can't come to a conclusion myself, and would love to get some input from others.

1. You might get more feedback if you make your own thread in the "Choosing Law School" forum
2. But you will most definitely be told to re-take and re-apply cuz both schools aren't worth the money.

Anyway, are there stipulations attached to your Catholic scholly? Are you dead set on D.C. and do you have other options? And forget the ranking. AU is not worth sticker debt.

Thanks for the tip! I'll def do post in the "Choosing Law School" forum.

Unfortunately, not a lot of options. My UGPA was awful and I took LSAT twice with exact same score (decent, but not getting me into T20 or anything). I'm also waitlisted at UMD, so maybe a better option to pursue?

Catholic scholly only requires that I'm in good standing with 2.25 GPA.

This whole idea of getting into 100k+ of debt is really wearing me down.

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:28 am

meylanl wrote:Thanks for the tip! I'll def do post in the "Choosing Law School" forum.

Brace yourself...a chorus of calls to re-take are coming. (not that it's necessarily wrong)

meylanl wrote:I'm also waitlisted at UMD, so maybe a better option to pursue?

Are you a resident? Going to UMD with in-state and maybe some scholly could be the better option here.

meylanl wrote:This whole idea of getting into 100k+ of debt is really wearing me down.

Yeah i sympathize, the tricky thing is to balance debt with job prospects.

Unless you can be persuaded to re-take and re-apply, I think you should take UMD if you get in. It's not gonna offer the best employment prospects, but it will be better than Catholic, and the COL will be significantly lower than American. So even if you're paying sticker at UMD, it'll end up being cheaper than American. If UMD doesn't come through then I would re-take or go to Catholic with the understanding that you're facing an uphill battle.

cnk

Postby cnk » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:42 pm

cusenation wrote:
meylanl wrote:Thanks for the tip! I'll def do post in the "Choosing Law School" forum.

Brace yourself...a chorus of calls to re-take are coming. (not that it's necessarily wrong)

Are you a resident? Going to UMD with in-state and maybe some scholly could be the better option here.

meylanl wrote:This whole idea of getting into 100k+ of debt is really wearing me down.

Unless you can be persuaded to re-take and re-apply, I think you should take UMD if you get in. It's not gonna offer the best employment prospects, but it will be better than Catholic, and the COL will be significantly lower than American. So even if you're paying sticker at UMD, it'll end up being cheaper than American. If UMD doesn't come through then I would re-take or go to Catholic with the understanding that you're facing an uphill battle.

I second this...go with Catholic or UMD. the COL of American + job prospects aren't going to leave you in a good position.

meylanl

Postby meylanl » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:13 pm

Wow. It's like the law school gods are messing with me- just received this message:

"Thank you for your continued interest in American University Washington College of Law. We will be reviewing a small number of applicants from our waiting list for admission into the full-time day program. Your file has been selected for consideration by the Committee on Admissions. Prior to bringing the file to the full committee, I wanted to determine your level of interest. If you are interested in attending American University Washington College of Law this fall in the full-time day program, please respond to this email within 24 hours and provide a phone number where you can be reached."

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:14 pm

cnk wrote:
cusenation wrote:

I second this...go with Catholic or UMD. the COL of American + job prospects aren't going to leave you in a good position.

neither is catholic.. go with UMD

InBetweenDays

Postby InBetweenDays » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:14 pm

lhanvt13 wrote:
cnk wrote:
cusenation wrote:

neither is catholic.. go with UMD

I second this.

superhopefulwoo

Postby superhopefulwoo » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:53 pm

Withdrew. Good luck to WLers!

treenapolits

Postby treenapolits » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:24 pm

Last edited by treenapolits on Mon May 06, 2013 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

phimu03

Postby phimu03 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:43 pm

meylanl wrote:Wow. It's like the law school gods are messing with me- just received this message:

"Thank you for your continued interest in American University Washington College of Law. We will be reviewing a small number of applicants from our waiting list for admission into the full-time day program. Your file has been selected for consideration by the Committee on Admissions. Prior to bringing the file to the full committee, I wanted to determine your level of interest. If you are interested in attending American University Washington College of Law this fall in the full-time day program, please respond to this email within 24 hours and provide a phone number where you can be reached."

When did you get on the waitlist?

lawschool4

Postby lawschool4 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:52 pm

They emailed me yesterday asking if I was still interested and then I received a call this afternoon around 3:30 EST with an acceptance offer. No scholly and a 24 hour deposit deadline - WTF!

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:08 pm

lawschool4 wrote:They emailed me yesterday asking if I was still interested and then I received a call this afternoon around 3:30 EST with an acceptance offer. No scholly and a 24 hour deposit deadline - WTF!

wow..just..wow

bananasplit19

Postby bananasplit19 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:11 pm

lawschool4 wrote:They emailed me yesterday asking if I was still interested and then I received a call this afternoon around 3:30 EST with an acceptance offer. No scholly and a 24 hour deposit deadline - WTF!

--ImageRemoved--

gatorgirl2012

Postby gatorgirl2012 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:48 pm

I would like to share some startling data: To date, there are only THREE LSN users that have accepted admission at American this cycle. None were offered scholarships, so presumably they're paying sticker. Obviously, LSN only accounts for a small percentage of the bigger admissions picture, and there might be a lot of users that haven't disclosed their final decision. Despite this, I'd say the theory that American wants students that are willing to pay sticker is a sound theory.

lawschool4

Postby lawschool4 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:50 pm

Can anyone here explain why American grads aren't finding jobs coming out of law school? The employment stats are horrible...

Also, any other insight on the school?

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:55 pm

lawschool4 wrote:Can anyone here explain why American grads aren't finding jobs coming out of law school? The employment stats are horrible...

Also, any other insight on the school?

They're pumping a ton of graduates into arguably the most saturated market in the country. They're competing against the entire T14 and then some for D.C. and then they also have GW and GULC at home to compete with, both of which also have massive class sizes. This is exacerbated by the fact that the American University brand, which may be contributed to by self-selection, doesn't carry a lot of strength outside of D.C. So American is stuck in a tough market with two huge, better-ranked neighbors and doesn't have the means to break into other markets. The school is also relatively pretty poor so i'm guessing they don't have the luxury of investing as heavily into CSO initiatives and externship programs.

treenapolits

Postby treenapolits » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:06 pm

Last edited by treenapolits on Mon May 06, 2013 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:22 pm

treenapolits wrote:What other markets would American break into?

I feel like this is a bonus question...LOL But in all seriousness i have no idea. Maybe NYC and the Maryland area? Or maybe getting graduates back to their home markets?

treenapolits wrote:Also, what do you mean by self-selection contributing to the brand?

Maybe i was being unclear, i meant that self-selection could contribute to the LACK of brand power in other regions.

There's a tiny group of schools that will have brand-power almost anywhere (think HYS). But outside of that tiny exclusive group, brand power is often determined by alumni and regional presence. When regional brand power isn't enough, alumni can help close the gap. Alumni spread to certain areas, they raise awareness over the years about that particular school (either directly through hiring or just by being good attorneys and representing their school). This is essentially why excellent schools like UCLA and USC have trouble placing kids outside of socal, there are no strong alumni networks to rely on outside of southern cal.

What I was getting at with American is that maybe the school's inability to spread beyond D.C. is because there's a lack of alumni networks in other markets. Because those networks don't pop up over a year or two, it takes years and years. So for example, if American had done fairly well in D.C. in the past then its grads never would have left the area in large-enough numbers to other markets. They self-selected to stay in D.C. And now that American can't rely on D.C. anymore to soak up most of its grads, it's in a situation where it has no strong alumni networks to turn to in other regions due to all the past self-selection to remain in D.C.

meylanl

Postby meylanl » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:14 am

sigh. I just submitted my seat deposit because they wouldn't extend my deadline and there's a possibility for need based grants, which I wouldn't find out about until June. Trying to think positively and hoping it wasn't just $900 blown.

Thoughts?

LawSchoolAFROBarbie

Postby LawSchoolAFROBarbie » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:14 am

meylanl wrote:sigh. I just submitted my seat deposit because they wouldn't extend my deadline and there's a possibility for need based grants, which I wouldn't find out about until June. Trying to think positively and hoping it wasn't just $900 blown.

Thoughts?

good luck. american is stingy and has horrible job propects.

treenapolits

Postby treenapolits » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:01 pm

Last edited by treenapolits on Mon May 06, 2013 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:06 pm

treenapolits wrote:So if you had a free ride, would you go here, or not go to law school at all?

I would go if:
1. living expenses were covered under that free ride. D.C. COL is no joke. It'll be a sizable sum if you fund it with loans.
2. I was deadset on D.C.
3. I had no other D.C. options.

But if i was really passionate about becoming a lawyer (for whatever reason) then I maybe i'd consider it under different circumstances.

The problem with this hypo is that if i'm good enough to get a full-ride at American, I'd probably have other options as well...so it's unlikely i'd be in an American or Bust situation

phimu03

Postby phimu03 » Sat May 04, 2013 12:08 pm

So has anyone on the waitlist heard back anything? I got on the wait list on April 8th, so I wanted to see if they are doing it based on the date of your application.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sat May 04, 2013 12:16 pm

anb012187 wrote:
FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Roommate is a 3L here. They are getting slaughtered. Don't go unless significant $$!!!!11111oneoneone

What do you mean they are getting slaughtered?

like no one gets jobs bc its a festering TTT.

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Sat May 04, 2013 12:26 pm

stillwater wrote:
anb012187 wrote:
FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Roommate is a 3L here. They are getting slaughtered. Don't go unless significant $$!!!!11111oneoneone

What do you mean they are getting slaughtered?

like no one gets jobs bc its a festering TTT.

+1

the 3L job market is depressing and painful at every school, but i imagine the unemployed 3L population at American is larger than average, both in terms of absolute size and percentage

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Sat May 04, 2013 3:22 pm

treenapolits wrote:So if you had a free ride, would you go here, or not go to law school at all?

It would take a full ride + living stipend + six-figure job lined up for me to go there. That is literally the only scenario in which I would attend.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”