American University Class of 2016

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lhanvt13

Re: American University Class of 2016

Postby lhanvt13 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:07 pm

bsktbll28082 wrote:Where exactly do I find their financial aid information? Can someone help me? Thanks. :mrgreen:

oh hai it's you again.
There's an email with login info. go to the directed website and click on financials and view financial awards or something like that.. havn't checked in a while so I might be a bit off but that's the gist of it I think

kckool7

Postby kckool7 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:12 pm

fredmerz wrote:Waitlisted today. 167/3.5. Will withdraw immediately. Good luck to everyone else.

Lawlz. Nice to see a school so blatantly make their admissions process about maintaining their ranking in a magazine, rather than y'know, attracting and developing young and talented lawyers.

dirtrida2

Postby dirtrida2 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:34 pm

kckool7 wrote:
fredmerz wrote:Waitlisted today. 167/3.5. Will withdraw immediately. Good luck to everyone else.

Lawlz. Nice to see a school so blatantly make their admissions process about maintaining their ranking in a magazine, rather than y'know, attracting and developing young and talented lawyers.

Actually it seems like their strategy is to accept applicants whom they believe will pay sticker to attend. They only care about the money!

bsktbll28082

Postby bsktbll28082 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:09 pm

lhanvt13 wrote:
bsktbll28082 wrote:Where exactly do I find their financial aid information? Can someone help me? Thanks. :mrgreen:

oh hai it's you again.
There's an email with login info. go to the directed website and click on financials and view financial awards or something like that.. havn't checked in a while so I might be a bit off but that's the gist of it I think

Just got a letter last night. They gave me the 5k scholarship. Not really sure how I feel bout that :shock:

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:15 pm

bsktbll28082 wrote:
lhanvt13 wrote:

oh hai it's you again.

Just got a letter last night. They gave me the 5k scholarship. Not really sure how I feel bout that :shock:

Yeah American has been giving a lot of applicants the finger in terms of scholly. That was the reason I withdrew. Don't know how they're going to survive this cycle

bsktbll28082

Postby bsktbll28082 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:19 pm

lhanvt13 wrote:
bsktbll28082 wrote:
lhanvt13 wrote:

oh hai it's you again.

Yeah American has been giving a lot of applicants the finger in terms of scholly. That was the reason I withdrew. Don't know how they're going to survive this cycle

It's a shame. I'm from around the area so I kind of wanted to stay. Don't think I can afford 3 more yrs here :/

dirtrida2

Postby dirtrida2 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:20 pm

lhanvt13 wrote:
bsktbll28082 wrote:
lhanvt13 wrote:

oh hai it's you again.

They will survive just fine, they don't care about their medians - only the $$$$.

That's ok, they can keep their terrible employment percentage.

Hey, if you flip the LST employment score ratings American comes in at 29th :lol:

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?r=other

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:25 pm

dirtrida2 wrote:
They will survive just fine, they don't care about their medians - only the $$$$.

Hey, if you flip the LST employment score ratings American comes in at 29th :lol:

Isn't a huge part of their revenue source international students as well? I'd think it's easier to convince them with only 5k than American students who know the law school game a bit better

bsktbll28082

Postby bsktbll28082 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:30 pm

They're ranked decently high for international law though. Which I'm kind of considering.

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... w-rankings

Just saw the 36% employment rate...holy crap :shock:

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:34 pm

bsktbll28082 wrote:They're ranked decently high for international law though. Which I'm kind of considering.

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... w-rankings

Just saw the 36% employment rate...holy crap :shock:

Usually specialty rankings don't really matter but I'd say American is an okay bet for international.. Though way too risky for only -5k

squonk

Postby squonk » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:51 pm

dirtrida2 wrote:They will survive just fine, they don't care about their medians - only the $$$$.

If they don't care about their medians, good for them, I guess. But the admin had better get some defenses ready for when a bunch of pissed off 3Ls inevitably storm their offices with torches and pitchforks because American's ranking fell off a cliff.

bsktbll28082

Postby bsktbll28082 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:11 pm

AU just send me an email saying they sent me the wrong award letter. Glad they've got everything together :shock:

TheNextAmendment

Postby TheNextAmendment » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:49 pm

bsktbll28082 wrote:AU just send me an email saying they sent me the wrong award letter. Glad they've got everything together :shock:

No way. Didn't apply to AU, I'm just bored at work so going through the threads...but this is interesting...can you give details? Just curious.

bsktbll28082

Postby bsktbll28082 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:26 am

TheNextAmendment wrote:
bsktbll28082 wrote:AU just send me an email saying they sent me the wrong award letter. Glad they've got everything together :shock:

No way. Didn't apply to AU, I'm just bored at work so going through the threads...but this is interesting...can you give details? Just curious.

That's basically all they said. It was like three sentences. I received 'an award notice in error,' 'your award on your portal is correct,' 'our apologies for the error and any inconvenience.'

Good thing I didn't base my decision off of the generous 5k scholarship they offered me. Actually, my portal doesn't really show anything different, just lists my loans.

TheNextAmendment

Postby TheNextAmendment » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:06 am

bsktbll28082 wrote:
TheNextAmendment wrote:

That's basically all they said. It was like three sentences. I received 'an award notice in error,' 'your award on your portal is correct,' 'our apologies for the error and any inconvenience.'

Good thing I didn't base my decision off of the generous 5k scholarship they offered me. Actually, my portal doesn't really show anything different, just lists my loans.

Wow thats tough dude.
1) You would think for a measly 5k they wouldn't bother and would just give it to you to look professional
2) At least be glad it wasn't like a full tuition scholarship they then rescinded haha.
3) Good Luck to you! From what I've heard AU is incredibly stingy this year with giving $. But I hope it works out for you.

Dream Weave

Postby Dream Weave » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:19 am

I know OP doesn't care enough, but is there any action you can take against the school when a school reconsiders your scholly after you already deposited?

TheNextAmendment

Postby TheNextAmendment » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:21 am

Dream Weave wrote:I know OP doesn't care enough, but is there any action you can take against the school when a school reconsiders your scholly after you already deposited?

I'm sure if he emailed them and said hey wtf they would probably give him a refund, but if you're talking about legal action I would say hell no.

AMilfordMan

Postby AMilfordMan » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:42 am

TheNextAmendment wrote:
Dream Weave wrote:I know OP doesn't care enough, but is there any action you can take against the school when a school reconsiders your scholly after you already deposited?

I'm sure if he emailed them and said hey wtf they would probably give him a refund, but if you're talking about legal action I would say hell no.

I bet the ABA would have something to say about it.

Dmini7

Postby Dmini7 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:47 am

Please tell me they offered you less, then please report back after you chew them out for their Unprofessionalism.

bsktbll28082

Postby bsktbll28082 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:26 pm

Dmini7 wrote:

Please tell me they offered you less, then please report back after you chew them out for their Unprofessionalism.

Eh, I'm not really taking this anywhere. It wasn't a crazy amount of money and I deposited elsewhere.

I was just surprised at their inadequacy and thought I'd share. Actually, after reading this thread, I shouldn't have been surprised :shock:

NewYorkL

Postby NewYorkL » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:07 pm

They withdrew my app for me since I didn't pay the seat deposit. Hope that goes to someone here who wants it.

mohanster

Postby mohanster » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:36 am

Withdrew w/ $20k a few days back. Hope it helps someone.

LawBro1234

Postby LawBro1234 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:48 pm

Also accepted with a measly 5K scholly. Took a tour a few weeks ago, admissions was super rude, the class visit was awful, and my tour guide was this pretentious douchebag who hated answering questions. Withdrawn...between the falling rankings, shitty prospects, and terrible atmosphere it is not worth all the money.

meylanl

Postby meylanl » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:33 am

As of right now I'm going to be starting at Catholic in the fall with just under 50% scholly, but I'm also waitlisted at AU. I know AU is better ranked (AU #56 and Catholic #80), but considering the scholarship, would I just be better off going to Catholic? (assuming I actually got off the AU waitlist) I've been trying to talk it out and just can't come to a conclusion myself, and would love to get some input from others.

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:41 am

meylanl wrote:As of right now I'm going to be starting at Catholic in the fall with just under 50% scholly, but I'm also waitlisted at AU. I know AU is better ranked (AU #56 and Catholic #80), but considering the scholarship, would I just be better off going to Catholic? (assuming I actually got off the AU waitlist) I've been trying to talk it out and just can't come to a conclusion myself, and would love to get some input from others.

1. You might get more feedback if you make your own thread in the "Choosing Law School" forum
2. But you will most definitely be told to re-take and re-apply cuz both schools aren't worth the money.

Anyway, are there stipulations attached to your Catholic scholly? Are you dead set on D.C. and do you have other options? And forget the ranking. AU is not worth sticker debt.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”